It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:03 pm 

rburch wrote:
sotik wrote:
What would be wrong with that? A katana was made for the purpose of being able to cut through armor.

No, a Katana was not made to cut through armor. Japanese Armor was made to stop a katana cutting into you

Word.

This "A katana can cut through your SKULL man! Itll go through armor like is not even there!" fanboy bullshit is why katana arent taken seriously.

The katana, while definitely a much beloved symbol of the samurai, was not their battlefield weapon of choice. The front line guys preferred a spear or naginata and the cavalry preferred the bow. The katana was, in application, more of a sidearm than a primary weapon for most.... up until the tokugawa era anyway, where one-on-one sword duels (without armor) became the hot thing.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:28 pm 

rburch wrote:
No, a Katana was not made to cut through armor. Japanese Armor was made to stop a katana cutting into you, viking era chainmail will stop a katana very nicely as well.

You and I are talking about different armor here. I am talking about primitive leather armor, I feel you are talking about plate armor, two different stories. The Kanata was made with a curve to it, the reason being that the blade with a curve will have less surface contact making it a perfect cutting tool for slicing through leather and tough armor.

rburch wrote:
Blood would splatter from "Nice clean cut" as well, and you won't get that cut if you haven't trained for years with a katana. Also it does matter what part of the body you strike, especially if you haven't trained. Samurai practiced those cuts hundreds or thousands of times a day, until they have it mastered, and then continued to practice for their entire lives.

Blood will spray from a cut, not so much splatter, a splatter is more so from blunt objects then a sharp object and while they can occur with a cutting object they wouldn't be as bad as a blunt object.

rburch wrote:
A top of the line folded 1,000,000,000 times blade will break very easily if you use it wrong. Or you'll just get it hung up in the first skull you try to cleave and then get mobbed while trying to pull it out. I've seen people using good quality replica katanas get them hung up in a 4" tatami mat, because they were off in their cut by a tiny angle.

I agree it would break easy, then again anything would break easily. My point was to not underestimate a katana based on some crappy gun show USA replica that broke the first time you accidentally sat on it. Also this could be said about anything.

rburch wrote:
Only thing you've said I agree with, we are talking about the weapon we would use. If you choose to use a katana, go for it. Chose what you want, but make damn sure you get the training to use it.

If you can't afford to spend several hours a day training with a proper teacher, or can't find one, then you may need to rethink a katana. Or really any melee weapon...

I have a few, I collect swords and other sharp objects. No I am not trained in them, but if it came down to it a katana is going to be just as strong or weak as any other sharp weaponry, my liking for using the katana is the fact they have nice reach length over say a machete, they have a curve for less surface contact meaning better slicing if properly used and are in my opinion a lot lighter then the normal sword.

So if it came down to it and I was looking down at the floor and I saw one ax, one sword, one machete, a baseball bat and a katana I am going to go with a katana.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:31 am 

So if it came down to it and I was looking down at the floor and I saw one ax, one sword, one machete, a baseball bat and a katana I am going to go with a katana.[/quote]

i think that i would go with the ax because the ax is a multi purpose tool and doesnt necessarily take any formal training to be effective.

but i guess the ax doesnt look as bad ass as the katana :|

Post subject: Cricket Bat
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:24 pm 

What are your opinions on the cricket bat as a melee weapon?
In a bug-out scenario, I would grab this over a baseball bat, as it could do double-duty as an improvised paddle if you needed to cross a body of water.

I made this one a few weeks ago: (36" long)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:48 am 

I'd so go with my metal baseball bat! It would destroy them! Lol! Tho the Katana would be bad ass :P

http://www.globalagendagame.com/
Awesome Game! Everyone look into it!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:03 am 

Am I the only one that gets the overwhelming urge to go shove a screwdriver into a light socket whenever I see a katana posted?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:39 am 

You're not the only one. I have also decided that 'bad-ass' is a quality invented by mallninjas to mean 'style over substance'.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:21 am 

Hahah! mallninjas that's classic! Well you get the idea! katana would be one of the best melee weapons out there! but it's not like i have sharp katana's laying around...

http://www.globalagendagame.com/
Awesome Game! Everyone look into it!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:52 am 

Dildo-chucks. I would just love to see one of those god damn ninja turtles swinging a pair of those around.

Zoltan wrote:
Chimps are fucking dangerous

Don't ever forget your DBP's!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:24 pm 

CLEAR CUT wrote:
Dildo-chucks. I would just love to see one of those god damn ninja turtles swinging a pair of those around.

They would have to be tactical black and connected by blue wire. :twisted:

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:49 pm 

Not tactical pink and purple tye-dye, connected by glittery elastic scrunchies?
Psychological warfare FTW.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/zombie_how

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:12 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Five foot Daneaxe.....and yes, I do know how to use it
Possibly a military flail as a back-up (not a 'morning-star' type)

Or maybe Sword&Board as I know that trick as well

Winner, PMBoB

LowKey wrote:
INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:45 am 

Probably a fire axe with the one side blade, and the other spike, or a Gerber Gator Machete.

But most likely the fire axe :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:27 am 

i also get the urge to either do physical harm to myself or perhaps the computer screen when i see katana posts ... i dont think people understand how hard it would be to use it effectively and they also dont seem to see that it is a singular use choice ... my bad ass comment was sarcastic. i have to say tho they do look good in comic books and on cartoons. heh but so do laser guns and nun chucks for that matter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:12 pm 

geko wrote:
i also get the urge to either do physical harm to myself or perhaps the computer screen when i see katana posts ... i dont think people understand how hard it would be to use it effectively and they also dont seem to see that it is a singular use choice ... my bad ass comment was sarcastic. i have to say tho they do look good in comic books and on cartoons. heh but so do laser guns and nun chucks for that matter.

I honestly have no problems with the katana itself. I think it could be a valid melee weapon choice providing:

A: You have a true one actually intended to be used for cutting work.

B: You have extensive training in it's use as an actual weapon, and practice those skills on a regular frequent basis.

C: You are not traveling on foot to your bug in location, so don't need to worry about weight and can therefore afford to carry something with only the purpose of fighting in melee.

D: You have extensive training in it's use as an actual weapon, and practice those skills on a regular frequent basis.

E: The style of fighting with a long blade fits the terrain you're moving in. Think think brush/swamp or lots of tight spaces in an apartment building or cave. Now imagine using a katana there.

F:You have extensive training in it's use as an actual weapon, and practice those skills on a regular frequent basis.

G: You have extensive training in it's use as an actual weapon, and practice those skills on a regular frequent basis.

H: You have extensive training in it's use as an actual weapon, and practice those skills on a regular frequent basis.

I: I think you get the point here.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:25 pm 

MMMM katana, its FTL and for people that wanna end up as Zeds, Id take the Glave with butt spike i have sitting 7 feet away from me that I CAN use properly or a good old hand and a half sword, theres a few dotted around the house.
But if i hadent trained with it i wouldnt use it, unless its a bat i suppose whats the point in carrying the extra weight only for things to go tits up cos u dont no how to use a weapon properly?????

Katanas are F**KING USELESS, unless you know how to use them :evil:

Post subject: Re: Cricket Bat
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:32 am 
BANNED

a_knight_shall_come wrote:
In a bug-out scenario, I would grab this over a baseball bat, as it could do double-duty as an improvised paddle if you needed to cross a body of water.

I can think of better weapons to use (like a hammer or a hatchet).

You can see how well this guy did when he used one against two opponents.

2 arrested in stabbing death of cricket player at Allen park (**Click**)

Quote:
Agha Faran Khan, 21, died Wednesday afternoon after being stabbed in the chest with a tire iron and hit in the face during a fight on an outdoor court near Ford Middle School.

Richard Garrett Hughes, 18, and Jefferson Josue Medina-Diaz, 21, were arrested on murder charges in the death of a 21-year-old cricket player. Richard Garrett Hughes, 18, and Jefferson Josue Medina-Diaz, 21, have been charged with murder. Each was being held in lieu of $200,000 bail Friday.

They and another man were playing basketball when they quarreled over court space with Khan, who had come to practice his cricket skills, police say. "It's just a fight that got out of control. Some young men couldn't control themselves," said Allen police spokeswoman Sgt. Nicole Shaw. The homicide is the second in Allen this year.

Khan was an Allen High School graduate, a Collin College freshman and an ardent cricket player. He aspired to a career in accounting or finance. Ford Park, Allen "We are just still in a state of shock," said Agha Khan of Allen, his father. The father said Faran Khan would go to the basketball court to practice cricket. Friends said he was probably practicing a cricket skill known as bowling, which is akin to pitching in baseball but requires a hard-surface bounce.

In interviews with police, the defendants acknowledged the dispute about court space, police say. But the defendants said Khan struck first, hitting a third basketball player with a cricket bat, according to the arrest affidavit. Hughes and Medina-Diaz told police they responded by hitting Khan in the face, and both said they handled the tire iron. But both denied using it to stab Khan, according to the affidavit.

It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Post subject: Re: Cricket Bat
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:18 am 

a_knight_shall_come wrote:

I made this one a few weeks ago: (36" long)

A cricket bat could get the job done and is a sweet thing to wield I would imagine. Plus with a addition of a mask you could be considered Casey Jones status.

But the idea of using it as a paddle too is pretty nice. Depending on where your at that could be the difference in life or death.

Hate to paddle with a bat.

A.S

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:07 pm 

For a paddle i'd use..a paddle? I don't see a cricket bat as anything but a last resort weapon, up there with crowbars, golf clubs, and random pipes and debris.

That said, it could do well as an EDC in your vehicle if you actually play cricket, ditto with a baseball bat.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/zombie_how

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:58 pm 

Nice cricket bat. It's like the Aztec swords minus the obsidian blades. :)

Forged blades: http://www.helmforge.com

Stock removal blades: http://www.helmgrind.com

The Wasteland Crow Project: http://wastelandcrow.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:55 pm 

Kamagong stick and machete. Mainly because I own them, I'm familiar with them, and I've been influenced by those who taught me to be proficient with them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:07 pm 

You just can't beat a good meat hammer.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:46 am 

Oneswunk wrote:
Lets see if at work i'd grab my wrench

That's one big Pocking wrench...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:53 am 
BANNED

Just do NOT kill anything with a CLAW and then post a picture of the claw.

You will be banned!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next