It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Word of Warning...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:20 am 

I have taken little nips and rips out of my hands with various tools. Nothing so dramatic as the OP's injuries though. Wishing him a fast recovery and restoration of function.

Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:48 am 

RickOShea wrote:
MVegas893.1 wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
One of my co-workers was sitting in our lounge one morning, sharpening his wire skinning knife (about a 5" handle and 1.5" blade) with one of those "butterfly" shaped sharpeners.

To this day, we still can't figure out how he cut the underside of his middle finger with that type of sharpener! He let out a little "yelp" and the rest of us in the breakroom turned and saw his finger hanging down like a wet noodle.

He was O.K. after surgery, but he got the new nick-name of "Timmy Tendon".

Oh man those things can hold an edge, can't they? The only mishap I've ever had with mine was when the cutting edge "tapped" one of my fingers. Thought "oh man that was lucky- coulda got hurt". Next thing I know I'm doing the napkin/e-tape wrap (any of you who have worked in the electrical/wiring trades knows the one I mean) to keep the red stuff in 'till I can get out of my lift and to the FAK in the truck.

I never could use one cause I couldn't keep a hold of it while wearing my 20,000 volt rubber gloves. I like a good 3" automatic that I can stab into the power pole when I need both hands for something else.

Though, I have on more than one occasion, forgotten it at the top of a pole and had to climb back up there and get it. :oops:

Yeah, those leather gloves with thick rubber liners suck for anything requiring any type of dexterity. And yeah, I've had to use the "field expedient bandage" (E-tape/papertowel or napkin) technique a few times myself.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:18 pm 

Ow. Been there, done that, got the stitches. Not goofing off, just careless handling while wiping down a very sharp blade. Not as bad as you though. Good luck with the recuperation. In my case also there was very little pain. Maybe that's due to the sharpness of the blade. I got cut by a tin can lid and that hurt like an SOB!

My brother did something similar once. He was playing around, went to stab an empty milk jug sitting on the counter... missed the jug (too low) and hit the lip of the counter instead. Similar damage to the op ensued, although luckily no tendons got hit. Was bandaged up a while though. We can all take away this lesson - knives must be handled with care and deliberation. They don't care whether it's friend or foe they bite into, and they are a bloodthirsty lot!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:09 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

I made this a sticky and put a warning in the title, just in case there are some folks who are a bit squeamish. I hope you folks don't mind.

I saw those pics and felt a wee bit ill. Just a bit, though. Those cuts looked like they hurt and I really, really hate stitches, having had over 100 put into me at one time.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:35 pm 

TheLastRifleMan wrote:
I made this a sticky and put a warning in the title, just in case there are some folks who are a bit squeamish. I hope you folks don't mind.

I saw those pics and felt a wee bit ill. Just a bit, though. Those cuts looked like they hurt and I really, really hate stitches, having had over 100 put into me at one time.

After seeing and smelling what landmines do to people and having to sew myself up a few times, I don't get all that squeemish anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:28 pm 

I'm always weary of any sharp object that doesn't have a sizeable handguard. I had an accident with a balisong bowie about 20 years ago, and haven't made that mistake since!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:22 am 

Know what amuses me?
If OP had posted to this same forum that he'd SHOT himself in the hand, every single post would be battering him for being negligent and careless. But since it's a knife, we all relate to it.

painiac's Essential Guide to Concealed Carry
painiac's Essential Guide to Physical Assessment Skills: Part 1, Abdominal Pain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:23 am 

cold steel kinda has a bad track record with cutting people. I know more then a few people that have cut themselves with a bushman (also no guard)

maybe their knives are unsafe...or maybe their just cheap enough all of us dumb-asses can afford them ;)

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:55 am 

Heh. Stabbing a table vs walking aorund on a wood floor in socks with a lockback knife in ice pick grip, hmmmmmm, which gets the Darwin Award?

Yes the dumbass was me. When I was younger and stupider I was walking around with my delta ranger from frost cutlery in my hand. I slipped, I hit the ground hard, it folded around my left pinky. Damn near cut it off, I didn't even feel the cut it went through nerves so fast. Didnt get stitches, didn't go to the doc (stupidity, and frugality about medical bills). I improvised a torniquent from a disposable face-fliter dust mask and made a splint out of the metal nose piece. Slapped some butterflys on it, wrapped it up and called it good.

3+ years later pressure on the scar line produces pain, doesn't want to stretch, and the tip of the finger past the cut is numbed, and the finger is only good for hitting A and holding the left shift key.

Word to the wise, get professional help.

0122358 wrote:
so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:00 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I stuck a 2" xacto knife in my hand, and fixed it myself, seeing that I hate doctors. I'm almost 95% sure I did tendon damage. I now have pain when its gonna rain or anything like that, aches, and sharp pains when I use the hand wrong.

At least you were smart and went to the doctor, I unfortunately won't go get it fixed. But luckily its in my off hand, so I will deal with it since in my delusional mind it will heal and get better.

Sucks being stubborn sometimes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:53 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

No pics but years ago in the millwork shop i keep a putty knife sharpened for scraping. Well grabed it to use as a scwer driver to change the blade in my razor knife. Slip cut the side of my thumb long ways, Went to the care center they sent me to the cosmetic surgon. Because I shaved the tendon im my left thumb a little and needed 6 stiches.

Lesson learned Use the right tool for the job.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:32 am 

Every time I handle my KABAR it kind of scares me. It came razor sharp and I can shave with it. It would probably slice straight to the bone in a millisecond if I had slip up. Just the shear size of the KABAR kind of worries me. That is why I rarely take it out of the sheath, and when I do I have hands as steady as a brain surgeon. I mainly bought it as protection. I know if I was facing the pointy end of one I would turn around and walk away.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:53 am 

damn dude, this thread makes me feel lucky i've never done tendon damage to myself. Whenever i get a new knife or sharpen an old one i spend the next week drawing it, stowing it, flipping grips and just getting used to handling it. I've noticed there's a correlation between that and me slicing/stabbing my self, mostly in my left middle finger. I've drawn my emerson across my left middle finger, as well as dropped a knife, that i made myself, into it... ok so that time i caught the knife with my middle finger, but in my defense it was either that or let it fall to the shop floor and see how durable it was. There have been plenty more instances of stupidity between me and knives, but fortunately i've always been able to treat the wounds myself and never had lasting damage, though im sure ive come close. After reading this though, i think i may leave wound care to the professionals.

On a side note, does anyone else get that fascination of investigating just how well the knife cut them?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:57 am 

OP: I had both of my sons read your post. They both said,"Daaaammmmmn." They both felt bad you got hurt but thought it was cool of you to post about it. So thanks for taking the time to do that. I have a kukuri myself and demonstrated to them how it might have happened. Their eyes got real big as they realized the potential damage from doing things like that.

DK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:39 am 

Ouch! I'm lucky I never cut myself that bad. *knocks on wood* I've got a bad rap with pointy things.

Back in the winter of 09 I was gearing up for a week long field op. I just got my rifle but wanted to move my peq 15 for some reason I don't remember. It was common practice to zip tie it in place after one of those "This Lieutenant lost his peq-15, all e5's and below look for it while we sit in the 7 ton." incidents. So I took out my spyderco and cut the zip tie... like a hot knife through butter... and continued to cut through my pants, warming layers, underwear, and upper thigh. I was like, holy shit, I almost cut myself.

Then my leg started getting wet. Ruh roh. I ran to the head to inspect, (hoping nobody saw me :lol: ) and yup, sure enough I cut the crap out of my upper thigh. I got to spend the week in the woods with three new stitches, and 12 on 12 off COG duty.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:47 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

boy. thats gonna hurt when you go to reach in a bag of salty potato chips with that hand :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:34 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Well I suppose an update on my hand is in order. Last week I was taking an afternoon nap (Ive either been sleeping or working lately) and just before I woke up I guess I stretched my arms out involuntarily. I woke up to this loud POPing sound and intense pain in my hand. I went to the doctor and his diagnosis was, and I quote, "you're fucked." I ruptured the tendon even though it was secure in the brace. For the next day or so, I could feel the tendon contracting down into my hand. Nothing so far has hurt as bad as that.

The three options I have now are:
1) Re-repair the rupture. If the initial surgery had an 80% chance of success this would be more like 40%.
2) Do nothing. I'd be the guy who looked like he was always drinking tea with the queen.
3) Tendon graft. There is a tendon in the wrist that is not used. Some 20% of people dont even have one. They will remove it and attach it above and below the damaged tendon.

Im opting for #3. It will be harder, and much more expensive, but it will be more likely to succeed. The other thing is I wont break my finger everytime I get into a fight or anything like that. My next appoinment is this Friday and Ill let everyone know what the plan is after that.

I really appreciate all the comments and stories that everyone is sharing. That was the main reason I wanted to share this with everyone.

-c/Kord!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:44 am 

painiac wrote:
Know what amuses me?
If OP had posted to this same forum that he'd SHOT himself in the hand, every single post would be battering him for being negligent and careless. But since it's a knife, we all relate to it.

This man just laid the truth down hard, and no one even noticed.

OP, best of luck for your recovery. You'll be remembered in prayers. Unless you shoot yourself in the hand, in which case I'll post in here and batter you for being negligentt and careless.

Seriously though, I hope you get your pinky motion back. Nobody likes drinking tea with the Queen.

My Trunk Bag/GHB/BOB for a Tight Budget

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:01 am 

Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else
IMHO, it's a hell of a lot easier to cut yourself than shoot yourself on accident, even if you're not doing anything stupid or careless.

I know a lot of shooters, and the vast majority have never shot themselves. I don't know anyone who uses a knife on a regular basis who has not cut themselves at some point.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:12 am 

The OP freely admits to being careless and unsafe with his knife. No need to batter him for it. The knife already taught him a lesson.

Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:19 am 

TDW586 wrote:
IMHO, it's a hell of a lot easier to cut yourself than shoot yourself on accident, even if you're not doing anything stupid or careless.

I know a lot of shooters, and the vast majority have never shot themselves. I don't know anyone who uses a knife on a regular basis who has not cut themselves at some point.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

The reason being, as I see it, is that you don't normally, in the use of the pistol, stick "the business end" at or near yourself- it is, by design, a "point away" item, not just by purpose, but also the ergonomics. A knife, you use to work with something held in , usually, your other hand- so "the business end" winds up pointed at you in the normal course of using it, even when observing all knife safety rules (which the OP obviously did not, and has hopefully learned his lesson from it). I can't tell you how many split open thumbs I've experienced while learning to whittle- sometimes, you NEED to slice toward your own thumb, and it comes down to your own control- there's a learning curve, and a few cuts is generally the way one flattens it out a bit. "Always slice away from yourself" was the first rule I learned involving knives- after which, I learned all the exceptions to the rule as they pertained to wood carving. I've yet to see anyone point out an "exception" to firearm safety that says, for example, to look down the barrel to see if the weapon is loaded. So, yeah, I'd be inclined to give a guy who'd done this a "Hurts like hell, don't it? Now, what have we learned?", and then give it a pass- at no point was he a danger to others with this behavior.

OP- Hurts like hell, don't it? Now, what have we learned? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:36 pm 

OP, thanks for the update. Sorry to hear, "You're fucked". Hopefully you will make a full recovery in time. In the meantime you have become a sort of Smokey the Bear of pointystabbysharpyshit. "Only You Can Prevent Dumbshit." Well done, really. It took balls to put yourself out there exposed to those who would dog pile on the dumbass. FWIW your post is helping keep my boys safer (they need it, lol) and I appreciate it. I teach them how to use and handle things but some lessons are learned from other sources.

The best piece of advice I ever had was from my father when he said, "Learn from other's mistakes. You won't have to pay the price for the lesson that way." This is a good example of that for the boys. I'll have them read your update.

DK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:05 pm 

C/Kord, I really expected this sooner rather than later, but I really thought it would be your brother not you doing it.

Keep me posted on how it all turns out, I'm back from Iraq, and my phone works again, hit me up if you need my number again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:16 am 

Well, at least you have "spares."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next