The Pat Crawford Survival Staff

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

chrispartida
Favorite Zombie Movies: Haven't found many that I didn't like, if that makes sense. Even the worst can be good for a laugh.

Re: The Pat Crawford Survival Staff

Post by chrispartida » Thu May 12, 2011 6:32 pm

Moral of the story: ZS first, buy later.
-CP

WiLLiE B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead remake, Original Romero Series, [REC.], Dead Set (Tv Series), The Walking Dead (Tv Series), Highschool of the Dead (Anime)

Post by WiLLiE B » Thu May 12, 2011 8:07 pm

chrispartida wrote:Moral of the story: ZS first, buy later.
Clout wrote:"Son, could you head out into the backyard and find me a stick that is taller than you?"

::uses interwebs to buy something that can't be found my a 3 year old in the woods::

Umm...who bought the staff again?
TEAM: S.A.V.A.G.E.

bu55c

Post by bu55c » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:54 pm

I bought one of them myself and have been very pleased with it. I did however buy the Dave Cantebury Pathfinder model, it replaces the knife with a jumbo ferrocerium fire starter and a 3 prong fish gig. I have been working on modding it to my specs since. Oh, and that Night Watchman baton. It's a total piece of junk in comparison the knife in it has virtually NO tang and will snap off at the least bit of pressure sideways and the metal in the baton itself is no where near the T6 hardened aircraft aluminum pipe the Crawford Staff is made of.
Don't worry I've been offended by professionals!

BJMadden85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of them...

Post by BJMadden85 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:15 am

I like it but wouldn't get one myself. I think it would be good for a camper or someone who is out in the woods more than me. Then that person would have a handful of tools in one package to cut down on weight and space.
Brandon J. Madden, Esq.
ZS member
ZSC:017

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear. -Mark Twain

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:42 am

Why on earth would anyone want to carry a heavy ass metal staff with them as a survival tool in the woods. If I had one I would wear a cloak and tell anyone that I ran into....

Otherwise, I'm thinking $30 for a blowgun & darts, $30 of Aluminum threaded piping and fittings, and $30 for the rest, I could definitely make one for under $100.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cold-Steel-4- ... n/20999254" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/?navid= ... drsrh=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/Hose-Tu ... 4287978917" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alpha_Zombie

Post by Alpha_Zombie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:23 pm

lmao is he really rocking a tuxedo

btw im suspect of that website. looks like it was created with angelfire circa 1998 and does earthlink even exist anymore? hahah

bu55c

Post by bu55c » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:55 pm

There are always cheaper alternatives. But the weight is not that much, it isn't a heavy staff and once the threading is figured out (not standard) it is remarkable how much you can add on to it and enhance the features of it. like turning it into a tactical multitool.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:39 pm

bu55c wrote:I bought one of them myself and have been very pleased with it. I did however buy the Dave Cantebury Pathfinder model, it replaces the knife with a jumbo ferrocerium fire starter and a 3 prong fish gig. I have been working on modding it to my specs since. Oh, and that Night Watchman baton. It's a total piece of junk in comparison the knife in it has virtually NO tang and will snap off at the least bit of pressure sideways and the metal in the baton itself is no where near the T6 hardened aircraft aluminum pipe the Crawford Staff is made of.
If I had to be lost in the woods with just one of those staffs and nothing else beyond the clothes on my back the DC model would be it.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:49 pm

Woods Walker wrote:
bu55c wrote:I bought one of them myself and have been very pleased with it. I did however buy the Dave Cantebury Pathfinder model, it replaces the knife with a jumbo ferrocerium fire starter and a 3 prong fish gig. I have been working on modding it to my specs since. Oh, and that Night Watchman baton. It's a total piece of junk in comparison the knife in it has virtually NO tang and will snap off at the least bit of pressure sideways and the metal in the baton itself is no where near the T6 hardened aircraft aluminum pipe the Crawford Staff is made of.
If I had to be lost in the woods with just one of those staffs and nothing else beyond the clothes on my back the DC model would be it.
Considering you have a "best of" link on a preparedness site, what are the chances that ever happens... :rofl:
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

bu55c

Post by bu55c » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:17 pm

The only problem I have run into is figuring out the threading on the staff. I'ts not exactly a standard pattern, basically 3/8 and 9/16 at 13tpi. Once that was figured out all kinds of other attachments and modifications can be made.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:30 pm

On an only vaguely related note, I've been thinking about a hiking staff as a premade bow blank. So, you find a good piece of bow wood, sized for a stick bow, maybe 5' long and an inch and a half around at the middle. You could just use that as a hiking stick, and then in a survival situation (or if you got bored and felt like making a bow at camp) you would have a perfect, seasoned stick of bow wood handy, rather than having to look for one.

If you wanted, you could do some of the pre-shaping ahead of time, too.

Make a bowstring and wrap it around the staff, maybe throw some duct tape around it somewhere too, for use in fletching arrows along with everything else its good for.

Cap it with a Bushman if you need a built-in knife, maybe do something to the sheath to disguise it if that's an issue.

freenarative
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, 28 days/weeks later (viral outbreak not zombie but still,,,,)

Post by freenarative » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:17 am

Mikeyboy wrote:Why on earth would anyone want to carry a heavy ass metal staff with them as a survival tool in the woods.
Metal? no. Wood. yes. You can use it as a measuring stick when tracking, it can help you reach high branches when foraging, test ice thickness when going across frozen water, test ground integrity in marshy areas, test for quicksand, when walking it reduces stress on the knees by taking weight, it can defend against wild animals (have one end pointed), if you have the skills you can carve spear points, harpoon points and frog giggs for the end, you can attach a fork and cook over a fire with it, it makes a good center pole for a tarp tent in wet weather, find a balance point and hang from a tree then attach a hammock for a truly peaceful sleep, attach bells to warn weary animals (such as bears) you are there so they don't get startled and attack you,,,, also the bells come in handy when singing campfire songs if you beat a rhythm with the staff you have bass and percussion ;), use it as a brace when crossing a deep or fast stream, a spit pole for roast, tie rags to the end and it's a torch, tie cord and it's a fishing pole, use it to test for man traps, if you have a hollow pole (bamboo or carved etc) it makes a good blow gun, on the subject of guns it makes a good monopod, use it to make a sundial, use the shadow to find north, tie a flag to it for marking a snow hole, use it to find people buried in landslides/avalanches, and on... and on... and on.

So,,,, still think it has no use?
Drichar Deis wrote:Sledge hammer to the forehead, night night cow ;)
Prepping; Why prep? Well just think of it as a physical form of insurance. You insure your home "just in case" it gets robbed. Why not prep "just in case" the poop hits the propeller?

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:44 am

freenarative wrote:
Mikeyboy wrote:Why on earth would anyone want to carry a heavy ass metal staff with them as a survival tool in the woods.
Metal? no. Wood. yes. You can use it as a measuring stick when tracking, it can help you reach high branches when foraging, test ice thickness when going across frozen water, test ground integrity in marshy areas, test for quicksand, when walking it reduces stress on the knees by taking weight, it can defend against wild animals (have one end pointed), if you have the skills you can carve spear points, harpoon points and frog giggs for the end, you can attach a fork and cook over a fire with it, it makes a good center pole for a tarp tent in wet weather, find a balance point and hang from a tree then attach a hammock for a truly peaceful sleep, attach bells to warn weary animals (such as bears) you are there so they don't get startled and attack you,,,, also the bells come in handy when singing campfire songs if you beat a rhythm with the staff you have bass and percussion ;), use it as a brace when crossing a deep or fast stream, a spit pole for roast, tie rags to the end and it's a torch, tie cord and it's a fishing pole, use it to test for man traps, if you have a hollow pole (bamboo or carved etc) it makes a good blow gun, on the subject of guns it makes a good monopod, use it to make a sundial, use the shadow to find north, tie a flag to it for marking a snow hole, use it to find people buried in landslides/avalanches, and on... and on... and on.

Crawford Survival Staff...$300

A Fashionable Wooded Walking Staff from a cane store....$50
http://www.fashionablecanes.com/5098.ht ... &cadevice=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;{device}&gclid=CO6XvbH7nbkCFcU7MgodDHIABg

Store bought wooded dowel or wooded replacement mop handle...$5 to $20

Picking up a large straight branch off the forest floor, or a random stick or piece of wood in a post SHTF urban/suburban environment for free and doing almost everything you just said...Priceless

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:18 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:
freenarative wrote:

Crawford Survival Staff...$300

A Fashionable Wooded Walking Staff from a cane store....$50
http://www.fashionablecanes.com/5098.ht ... &cadevice=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;{device}&gclid=CO6XvbH7nbkCFcU7MgodDHIABg

Store bought wooded dowel or wooded replacement mop handle...$5 to $20

Picking up a large straight branch off the forest floor, or a random stick or piece of wood in a post SHTF urban/suburban environment for free and doing almost everything you just said...Priceless
And re: my bow blank suggestion, there is passable bow wood most places in the US. Even in the desert, if you find any kind of water, there will be willow or mesquite. In urban areas, Pacific Yew is a surprisingly common ornamental. So yeah, no need to spend ANYTHING on a hiking staff, just find, or cut, a limb of appropriate dimensions, and all the better if it's a decent bow wood.

Full disclosure, my current hiking staff is a redwood sapling that started as a friend's Christmas tree. I rescued it from the fire pit, sanded it, and have been affixing hiking medallions to it. It's a nice stick, no extra survival functionality though (too thin and wrong type of wood to make a bow). Not really looking to replace it as I dig the medallion collection. But in a survival situation I'd quickly improvise another.

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:46 am

It does seem pricey at $300 and I will add this. If you buy the staff for $300 and an additional $390 in accessories (It better include a 22 rifle for that price) you get $50 of O-rings FREE. We buy O-rings here at work all the time. $50 dollars worth would be about 5000 O-rings. Who wants to carry around 15 pounds of O-rings? What are you going to use them for anyways? I assume the O-rings are to seal the thread portion of the shaft but come on, how many times are you going to open it in a life time?

bu55c

Post by bu55c » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:08 pm

I carry mine quite frequently. As for opening it, not too frequently although I do have a habbit of storing needed items I don't want to put in my pockets in the tube of the staff. Pat Crawford does also sell 2 survival kits that go with the staff as well. The basic one is water tight plastic tubes that slide down the inside of the tubing to incorporate a small kit inside the staff. It's a great tool! I absolutely love mine! and once again, :!: it isn't heavy it weighs about as much as a same size hardwood dowel I own BOTH types.

bu55c

Post by bu55c » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:32 am

Here ya go. If you all are so worried about the "metal" staff how about this multi use tool!
http://zubinaxe.com/

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:24 pm

bu55c wrote:Here ya go. If you all are so worried about the "metal" staff how about this multi use tool!
Thanks for the link. Got a pretty good chuckle. I had no idea stuff like this had a market....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:34 pm

:| This is mall ninja. Period.
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

bu55c

Post by bu55c » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:28 am

Maybe, but you could very well make additional addons and accessories for it. I already have an Idea to make it a hollow haft like the Crawford Staff I already have with additional tomahawk heads for the short (12") handle out of 6061-T6 Aircraft grade aluminum tubing and rod. There are times when the "Mall Ninja" type gear has merit even if it may look like a joke. That Zubin axe has merit. The slingshot alone is a worthwhile piece that is highly capable of several conversions in and of itself.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:03 am

bu55c wrote:Here ya go. If you all are so worried about the "metal" staff how about this multi use tool!
Check the additional info, the complete kit weighs 6lb.

Its also ironic that the Crawford staff and this thing is about $300 and uses 440C steel.

Just go to home depot for a broom handle and duct tape.

bu55c

Post by bu55c » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:47 pm

Still all the accessories are what cause the weight in the Zubin Axe and it all comes in a separate pouch. It's all about the utility and mod-ability.

Like I stated earlier I have a Crawford staff and love it! It's NOT heavy and it has a ton of serviceability in it's package.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:53 pm

WiLLiE B wrote:
BobtheBreaker wrote:Do not want.

I dont really have much beef with the maker or the cost. My beef is its a rather one-dimensional approach to survival, in that its all "weapons". Its only the sexy part of survival, nothing of the dol-drums. Id be more impressed if it came with a ferro rod, para cord, lengths of snare wire and fishing line, a small fishing kit, a button compass, a heat sheet and handful of micro-pur tabs.

What's keeping anyone from putting stuff like that inside a staff like this? That is why I think this is a good concept. Something like this obviously wouldn't be my first weapon/tool of choice but I still could put it to use.
This. Most of us could put it to use. At least in one aspect or another. But, I;m with most others...$300 can buy you a lot of gear that can easily better guarantee your survival...but, if you have everything you need, and got $300 to blow...
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

bu55c

Post by bu55c » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:44 am

All this price quibbling from people that wouldn't think twice about dropping $100-$200 for a single fixed blade knife.

Return to “Other Weapons”