The ZS collaborative Fixed Blade Recommendation Thread

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Folly

Re: The ZS collaborative Fixed Blade Recommendation Thread

Post by Folly » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:45 pm

I'm looking for a large fixed blade that has a unique look. For all my research I've come up with the Legion from Kingdom Armory-

http://www.kingdomarmory.com/archives/431

To me this is one badass big, fixed blade. I've had no experience with Kingdom Armory knives, read reviews and they're all stellar as far as craftsmanship and durability. Just wondering if any of you guys/gals have experience with this brand. Thanks!!
"I went out back and I got my gun I said, You haven't met me, I am the only son." - Mumford and Sons

Gaston
Favorite Zombie Movies: Chuck Norris and Jason Statham movies. I mean, you can't kill them, they don't suck blood so they aren't vampires, or change into an animal during a full moon so they aren't were-beasts, so they pretty much have to be Zombies, right?

Post by Gaston » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:48 pm

I have a drawerful of knives ... well, less now that I've given away a few of them.

For a folder, I ended up with a Kabar Dozer of AUS-8 steel. It's only around $20 or so, and it is superb for its purpose. It's light, has a clip and a quick-open stud (although with severe arthritis, that's not something I'll risk my life on), and is made of a superior steel and well-tempered. I'd gladly put it up against more expensive knives, as far as the edge-taking and holding is concerned. Some may open more easily, but with normal dexterity (which I do not possess), it opens easily.

While I have nicer fixed blades, the one that gets daily use is a Mora. My favorite Mora is the 2S, which is very slightly larger in blade than the standard #2 but has a much beefier handle. It's also laminated carbon steel, and few blades can equal it in keeness and durability of edge. It is NOT a full tang knife, and if you insist on beating your knife with a stick, there are better choices. I get my Moras and some other blades from Ragnar at http://www.ragweedforge.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . He has good prices, and his customer service is unbeatable. He's also very personable, and if you're not quite certain what you want, drop him a line. He has a keen appreciation of the qualities of everything he sells, and is very good at finding a blade that suits your needs. He's just all-around "good folks".

As for customs, I should put in a plug for Chris at http://www.whirlwindtraders.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . He made an 18thC French blade for me for reinactment purposes, and I was so impressed that I ordered a late 19thC small Bowie for personal use. My Dad had one that he found in a washed-ashore tackle box, and despite the claim that the guard made it less than useful I found he could use it to do anything a knife should be expected to do. Right after Chris made one for me that was slightly larger, I finally found Dad's old POS bowie. Despite being an unbranded "POS" knife, it performed well. Chris's copy, made from memory, is much better. I think you'll find his prices very low for the goods received.

I like knives, but I'm far from a knife snob. They're just one of many tools for me, and I tend to look for quality before brand ... most of the time. I have and have had my share of "limited production" knives, and as a whole I've found them no better than the more utilitarian blades. I'm the same with almost any tool - I buy it for what it does, and to fulfill a perceived need, and not for the name etched in the blade. I am not disappointed with my choices.

This is not to discourage anyone from buying a big name blade - some are absolutely supurb tools. But, there are plenty of other good blades, and I'd rather have 4 good common knives than one collectible knife. Of course, I've shot every firearm I've ever owned, including the commemoratives, and I sharpen and cut with every blade. If I can't use it, I don't need it. Others feel differently.

Standard disclaimer: I'm not associated with either of the vendors I recommended, just a very satisfied customer.

CleaverCO

Post by CleaverCO » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:49 pm

I am looking for a 3.5 in or less (3.5 is the max length for a concealed knife here) fixed blade knife for general camp chores that wont get me in trouble with the law if my jacket covers it up on accident.

So far I am looking at the RAT-3 (http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store ... RAT31095BL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and a Kershaw
(http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store ... l?s=KS1082" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) as the two front runners.

I have a big fixed blade and a hatchet that will do me fine for splitting wood, so batoning isnt really a concern. I know the RAT is probably the better knife, but for twice the price is it worth it for skinning/gutting/filleting? Is there something Im overlooking, or a better product on the market for under $70-ish?

Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:36 pm

How about the Eskabar?

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:08 pm

DaveM swears by his RC-3, so it may be a good choice for you.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

neilbilly
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them, Zombie Strippers was good, Dead Snow was as well. The classic Night of the Living dead was scary, and the new stuff with revved up Zeeks is good ala 28 days/weeks later.

Post by neilbilly » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:57 pm

Really good deal on this combo. Very good steel and a great set.

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/item.asp? ... p%3Fc%3D31
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.

JDeMent
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil: Apocalypse

Post by JDeMent » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:33 am

SOG Seal Pup.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:39 am

JDeMent wrote:SOG Seal Pup.
I handled one and thought it was an over priced piece of crap. It felt cheap in hand, the handle was uncomfortable and I would hate to use it for long periods of time.
And it couldn't look more mall ninjay if it tried.

If you are going to bother posting a recommendation how about why it is good? Posting a product by name doesn't give any information.
Man is a beast of prey

JDeMent
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil: Apocalypse

Post by JDeMent » Sun May 01, 2011 11:15 am

I've use the Seal Pup extensively since 2004. It was my go to knife for cutting det cord, opening MREs and everything else for a year and a half in the deserts of Iraq. It's been with me to 5 different countries and been used for outdoor survival tasks, as a camp knife, and used in my kitchen. I've field dressed and skinned 12 whitetail deer with it, then used it to quarter and process the meat. It ever cut through the pelvic bone when field dressing and held an edge. It's cleaned small game and gutted hundreds of fish in the last six years. It's skinned 4 wild boar, and was even used to slit the throat of one in the bush. ImageImageImage
What I like about it most besides it's reliability, is the way it holds an edge. I have other knives made by CRKT, Gerber, buck, and leatherman. I've used the Seal Pup more and had to sharpen it less than any knife I have used on a regular basis. It feel solid due to it's full tang construction. The handle is checkered and made of a hard nylon material. The handle is solid, not soft and cushy. It doesn't slip in my hand when wet, muddy, or covered in blood even when my hands are freezing cold.
I carry mine in a coyote brown Spec-Ops survival sheath that I inserted the original kydex sheath into. It's not the prettiest blade, the nonreflective finish is finally beginning to wear, but other than that it is still as solid as the day I bought it at the PX in Baghdad.

I'm not here to debate the SOG Seal Pup. You can take it or leave it. It works for my application. Best $60 I've spent. I would definitely recommend it!

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Sun May 01, 2011 1:18 pm

^Thanks, good review and explanation even if I don't care for the blade that is the kind of contribution it is nice to see. :)
Man is a beast of prey

Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob » Mon May 02, 2011 1:26 am

the_alias wrote:And it couldn't look more mall ninjay if it tried.
In a world full of Spydercos, Cold Steels, Emersons,.... how does a plain straight fixed blade look mall ninja-y? :D

chr0nos

Post by chr0nos » Sat May 07, 2011 9:51 am

Buck Omni Hunter, gut hook or without: http://www.amazon.com/Buck-393BK-Hunter ... 543&sr=8-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good steel, and you can get 2 or 3 for the price. Sometimes an expensive piece of equipment sits unused because of the high price tag. A knife is a tool, I would rather get a "cheaper" one that can be used, abused and beat up instead of a safe queen.
My Belt BOB
http://www.campingsurvivalgearreviews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

harris6541
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Land, Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, The Crazies (1973 and 2010), Shaun of the Dead... ect... ect...ect

Post by harris6541 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:56 pm

If you are going to go with one of those great Ontario Knives like the RAT, RATK, or the others check out Chestnut Ridge Knife Shop. They make great kydex sheaths to replace the flemsy nylon sheaths Ontario sends out.
Cheers!

http://www.chestnutridgeknifeshop.com/c ... e57360eba7

J-WeB
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Stake Land, Shawn of the Dead

Post by J-WeB » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:59 pm

I've been thinking about trying out the Smith & Wesson CKSUR1 Bullseye knife for a while. The reviews seem to be fairly decent for a $25 knife. What does anyone think about this knife?

Code: Select all

http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-CKSUR1-Bullseye-Search/dp/B000UUR6OI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313863042&sr=8-1

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:43 pm

harris6541 wrote:If you are going to go with one of those great Ontario Knives like the RAT, RATK, or the others check out Chestnut Ridge Knife Shop. They make great kydex sheaths to replace the flemsy nylon sheaths Ontario sends out.
Cheers!

http://www.chestnutridgeknifeshop.com/c ... e57360eba7
Nice . I have an older TAK from Ontario , but I never use it because I loathe the sheath . I could also use another for my BRKT Bravo-1. The factory kydex sheath is very basic and will only fit a 1 1/2 inch belt . The factory leather sheath is not much better.
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

blackbilly
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later

Post by blackbilly » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:51 pm

When it comes to fixed blades you can do no wrong with a Becker. Have some and they keep taking punishment. Prices are all under 100$ unless you get into collectors.

Bk7 stripped, choiled, sanded and patinaed. Also thumb ramp is ground down. Custom Kydex sheath.

Bk10. They are still available with limited numbers. Going for 150$, so a bit more money.

Bk2. This thing is a beast in itself. 1/4 thick.

Bk9. big and bad. enough said.

Murphnuge
Favorite Zombie Movies: Bowling for Columbine and any other science fiction.

Post by Murphnuge » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:19 pm

Ditto...

Death smiles upon us all, the U.S. Marine smiles back.

scurvy

Post by scurvy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:55 pm

IZULA, I love mine, batoning the hell out of it, or shaving the marketing off my vice, I've got ZERO complaints. . . unbeatable warranty.

Jimmy ~~sCuRvY~~

Art
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Art » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:32 pm

The new Scrap Yard and Swamp Rat 11-Series blades:

Swamp Rat

Scrap Yard

511 blades are available at Scrap Yard as we speak, as well as the Scrapivore.

Swamp Rat has had the Swamp Warden, Rodent Solution, and Ratmandu available but the site is down for the pending release of the Rodent 911 coming very soon:

My favorite knife pics:

Waki

Regulator TT
Endure to the End

223shooteresc

Post by 223shooteresc » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:35 am

Condor Rodan is a great 4 in blade knife with leather sheath for less than $35

southpaw42

Post by southpaw42 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:18 am

Hi guys, I'm looking for a combat blade, specifically a combat dagger. Money is not a problem, anyone could help suggesting models and brands ?

Hanzo

Post by Hanzo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:46 pm

Hi guys, I'm looking for a combat blade, specifically a combat dagger. Money is not a problem, anyone could help suggesting models and brands ?
I have a Spyderco Temperance II and while not exactly a dagger it would fill the role of a combat knife and a dagger pretty well. The knife itself is of very high quality and I can't tell you how much I love it. It was designed as camp knife/self defense knife (from cougars in Co) by the owner of Spyderco, Sal Glesser. Heres a link to my review of it http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 33&t=76180.

heres a picture
-Okonkwo stood looking at the dead man. He knew that Umuofia would not go to war. He knew because they had let the other messengers escape. They had broken into tumult instead of action. He discerned fright in that tumult. He heard voices asking: 'Why did he do it?'
Chinua Achebe

Robin Masters
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Robin Masters » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:20 am

This is my knife. the drop handle for it broke off some time ago and i have been looking for a replacement sheath for some time now.
The blade is a specific size so I don't know what sheath I could get for it.

Here is the link to the description of the knife and where I got it from.
http://www.rangerjoes.com/Ka-Bar-Knife- ... 2C315.aspx
"Courage is moving into danger with no means of escape." -Snake Doc-

foxx

Post by foxx » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:17 am

I would contact Ka-Bar about a warranty, or at least a replacment. They will send you a replacement handle or sheath. It's worth your effort at least. Otherwise you can buy handle material, make your own. Kydex can be purchased in sheets, molded in your oven at home. I'd start with Ka-Bar myself.

Return to “Other Weapons”