The ZS collaborative Fixed Blade Recommendation Thread

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Re: The ZS collaborative Fixed Blade Recommendation Thread

Post by azrael99 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:49 am

That one reason why i ask this kind of question here

Because i know for a soldier it must be the best knife ever but maybe not for a survivalist
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

bu55c

Post by bu55c » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:04 pm

Any decent 3/16 inch thick high carbon blade with a FULL TANG will serve you more then adequately as a good fixed blade utility/field knife. There are plenty of inexpensive varieties.
Don't worry I've been offended by professionals!

DarkPhoenix
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead series, BrainDead, ZombieLand, Shaun of the Dead, and for really bad movies, Video Dead.

Post by DarkPhoenix » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:54 pm

bu55c wrote:Any decent 3/16 inch thick high carbon blade with a FULL TANG will serve you more then adequately as a good fixed blade utility/field knife. There are plenty of inexpensive varieties.
KA-BAR/Beckers fit this perfectly!
I feel like you eye-ballin' me, dawg!

bu55c

Post by bu55c » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:36 pm

Yes! they do. There are also 3 knives from Condor Knife and Tool for about half the price and Condor does make very good gear. The Becker line top quality I would recommend it to anyone.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:18 am

bu55c wrote:Any decent 3/16 inch thick high carbon blade with a FULL TANG will serve you more then adequately as a good fixed blade utility/field knife. There are plenty of inexpensive varieties.
I think 3/16" thick is good for me too. Too thick (like those 1/4" knives) and the blade is bad for processing game and doing detail work. Too thin and the blade is more likely to break with high stress stuff like emergency batoning and prying.

However am getting away from High carbon and wanting more stainless varieties. At the end of the day for me if I had a choice between AUS8 and 1095 I would take AUS8. 1095 need much more maintenance to keep from rusting and the blade coatings some knife manufactures put on 1095 either come off quickly or are so thick and abrasive they are counter-productive.

DarkPhoenix
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead series, BrainDead, ZombieLand, Shaun of the Dead, and for really bad movies, Video Dead.

Post by DarkPhoenix » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:26 am

Mikeyboy wrote:
I think 3/16" thick is good for me too. Too thick (like those 1/4" knives) and the blade is bad for processing game and doing detail work. Too thin and the blade is more likely to break with high stress stuff like emergency batoning and prying.

However am getting away from High carbon and wanting more stainless varieties. At the end of the day for me if I had a choice between AUS8 and 1095 I would take AUS8. 1095 need much more maintenance to keep from rusting and the blade coatings some knife manufactures put on 1095 either come off quickly or are so thick and abrasive they are counter-productive.
It depends on where you are and what you are doing. I actually removed the coating from several of my Beckers and haven't had any issues with rusting. I just clean and dry the knife after I do anything with it. I went a step further on my BK15 by forcing a patina, since I use it for food prep. I have both AUS8 and 1095CV knives that I have used for processing of game, and the maintenance between the two is the same.
I feel like you eye-ballin' me, dawg!

bu55c

Post by bu55c » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:31 am

Actually I agree with the coating removal. A lot of the experts I follow on you tube and here in the Northwest say the same thing.

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:54 pm

Could someone recommend a smaller, easily carried fixed blade? One of my buddies bought the ka-bar TDI LE and I love that thing.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

Hanzo

Post by Hanzo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:09 pm

I love my spyderco enuff. Picked it up for about a hundred bones.
I got the leaf blade version.
-Okonkwo stood looking at the dead man. He knew that Umuofia would not go to war. He knew because they had let the other messengers escape. They had broken into tumult instead of action. He discerned fright in that tumult. He heard voices asking: 'Why did he do it?'
Chinua Achebe

thrillbilly

Post by thrillbilly » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:50 am

KaBar Becker BK9
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

minengr

Post by minengr » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:14 am

Bunni wrote:If you want something cheaper, disposible and tough as a coffin nail:

You can get a True Flight Thrower for around $30. Its not really a throwing knife. Its just a solid no frills hunk of steel with a tough coating that you can shave with. Holds an edge very well and can be stropped to razor like status. Most important, you do not have to care about it.
Damn you guys. I skim through this thread, see this, and had to order a pair.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

bu55c

Post by bu55c » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:50 am

minengr wrote:
Bunni wrote:If you want something cheaper, disposible and tough as a coffin nail:

You can get a True Flight Thrower for around $30. Its not really a throwing knife. Its just a solid no frills hunk of steel with a tough coating that you can shave with. Holds an edge very well and can be stropped to razor like status. Most important, you do not have to care about it.
Damn you guys. I skim through this thread, see this, and had to order a pair.

Agreed, This is one hell of a tough knife. I have seen it used by several people as a secondary backup to their primary blade. It also is quite the capable blade to be used as a spear if needed (and this is why more then one knife).

Cadillac
Favorite Zombie Movies: The original George A. Romero movies, Resident Evil movies

Post by Cadillac » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:39 pm

I just ordered an ESEE Izula, and a TOPS Shango, and yet another cold steel true flight. Hopefully I'm not disappointed.
Benjamin
ZSC:052 Chapter President

bu55c

Post by bu55c » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:29 pm

I am currently modding my new Schrade SCHF37. It's built along identical lines as the Becker BK-7 and it is only about $37. A good high carbon blade with a 90 degree spine and it comes with a sharpening stone and Ferrocerium rod in the sheath. Of course I ordered a custom Kydex sheath for it (Cleavland Kydex has that one standard so you don't have to send your knife to them to have the sheath made).
Here is a link to the SCHF37 at Knife Depot (http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-502345.html) so you can see it.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:24 pm

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but I snagged this from Amazon for around $20. I like cheap knives... it's fun to beat them like rental cars.

It's a beast of a knife: Cold Steel G.I. Tanto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMHo6Q8KMkI
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:05 pm

nothing bad to say again it , specially for the price. i own 1 and 2 custom made model based on that one .
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Cadillac
Favorite Zombie Movies: The original George A. Romero movies, Resident Evil movies

Post by Cadillac » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:01 am

Image On my belt now. Loving this little thing. Just came in a few days ago.
Benjamin
ZSC:052 Chapter President

moab

Post by moab » Sun May 17, 2015 6:46 am

I'm trying to decide between an Enzo Trapper and another ESEE 4 clip point.

I have an ESEE 5. I stripped and etched the blade like this. Except I kept the green micarta handles in tact.

I already have the ESEE 5. So I'm kind of leaning towards the Enzo. For what it's worth everything I've ever had ESEE has been incredible. I would highly recommend an ESEE knife to anyone. Great product. Great price. And unmatched warranty. Like even if your the 5th owner you can send it in to have anything fixed.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

moab

Post by moab » Tue May 19, 2015 10:54 pm

Here's a replica of that dagger AZ. Not bad for $50:

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-893-soe ... bbard.aspx

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Mothball
Favorite Zombie Movies: About all of them.

Post by Mothball » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:34 am

USMC Ka-Bar would do for me if it's all I had. If cost was an issue an offering from mora would do. If it's what I had in my drawer it would be the Busse basic 11.
Zombie dropping gear,
Matrix Grizzly.
Busse basic 11
Beretta 92 FS.

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:32 am

thanks moab !!!!!!

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:23 pm

Enzo trapper 115 12c27

Jeff White 1/8 1095 Maple scales.

WCF full sized skriker knife with wide finger rest. 1095 differentially heat treated.

LT Wright Bushcrafter HC.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:38 am

Moab posted this in the gear deals thread. The sale is still going on
moab wrote:ESEE Knives - 20% off and free shipping over $99. At the Knife Connection on ESEE knives. I seriously have never seen prices this low for a new ESEE before. And KC has the cheapest prices to begin with:

https://www.theknifeconnection.net/esee-knives/
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

moab

Post by moab » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:02 pm

teotwaki wrote:Moab posted this in the gear deals thread. The sale is still going on
moab wrote:ESEE Knives - 20% off and free shipping over $99. At the Knife Connection on ESEE knives. I seriously have never seen prices this low for a new ESEE before. And KC has the cheapest prices to begin with:

https://www.theknifeconnection.net/esee-knives/
Ya. These are CRAZY good deals if you've been looking at an ESEE knife. They rarely go on sale. I wish I had the extra hundred I'd pick up an ESEE 4 I've been lusting after for years. They must be getting out of the ESEE business or ESEE is coming out with new knives. I wish I could buy the blade only without having to buy scales. It's down to $50 for an ESEE 4 blad eonly. But you gotta buy G10 scales to get that price. Which takes it back up to $100.

Return to “Other Weapons”