The ZS collaborative Fixed Blade Recommendation Thread

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

kontraktniki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: The ZS collaborative Fixed Blade Recommendation Thread

Post by kontraktniki » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:19 am

Oh...and check out the Buck Packlite options. Lightweight, stainless, inexpensive...and it's Buck, so you get the Forever warranty and such.

Red Tamarillo

Post by Red Tamarillo » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:07 am

If you're going just over $100, there's the new Spyderco Enuff series:

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=791" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=792" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hanzo

Post by Hanzo » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:44 pm

I just got a spyderco enuff about two month ago and have been carrying everyday since. Love it. Best EDC knife I have ever had.
-Okonkwo stood looking at the dead man. He knew that Umuofia would not go to war. He knew because they had let the other messengers escape. They had broken into tumult instead of action. He discerned fright in that tumult. He heard voices asking: 'Why did he do it?'
Chinua Achebe

Doc8404
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, both Dawn of the Dead's, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by Doc8404 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:36 pm

Fallkniven F1, great knife. Great Knife.
"Life isn't something you possess, it's something you're a part of."-Louis C.K., probably not his

“Perhaps there is more sense in our nonsense and more nonsense in our 'sense' than we would care to believe.” -David Bohm

ChaoticL0gic

Post by ChaoticL0gic » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:37 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Gurkha-Ku ... _sbs_sg_42" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anyone got this, any thoughts, looks legit as a Large Knife (used for hacking branches, batoning, etc)Looking for a good large knife for backpacking, I already have a Mora I use as a neck knife. Not a big fan of "Tacitical" gear since in my experience it all marketing and have little real world applications.
CL's Rules of the Desert
  • Carrying too much water makes you strong, carrying too little water makes you dead
  • There is a word for people that travel in the bush unarmed....Victim
  • Untested gear is unproven gear, unproven gear fails when you need it most.

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Post by Whiskey » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:03 am

That link wouldn't pull up for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

southpaw42

Post by southpaw42 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:35 pm

So guys, i'm looking for a knife, and have some specs that i'm looking for, so if any of you know a knife that fits this description, please, let me know:
Overall Handle
4"~4.5"
Overall Blade
5"~6"
Steel
>aus 8(i prefer a better steel)

I need a half guard and prefer a non-sliping material for the handle.

Thanks for the help.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:48 pm

i have a few model in mind, but for what do you need it for ? hunting, camping , fighting ?
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

southpaw42

Post by southpaw42 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:24 pm

azrael99 wrote:i have a few model in mind, but for what do you need it for ? hunting, camping , fighting ?
Fighting and in very unusual cases surviving.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:37 pm

i think in what you wanted the best choice would be the Kobun from Cold Steel

if you want a knife made of better steel. give me a maximum budget and i can find you another great model.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

southpaw42

Post by southpaw42 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:42 pm

US$ 250 is the maximum of cash i can dispose in this task.
drop point or clip point are a plus to me.

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:02 pm

then my friend your search is over

i present you : THE SRK from cold steel

used by the Navy SEAL during their trainings , made of the hardest stainless steel in this price range that i can imagine . (200$ +tx) half guard, kraton handle, kydex sheath

Specifications:
Name: SRK San Mai III®
Blade Length: 6"
Overall Length: 10 3/4"
Steel: VG-1 San Mai III®
Weight: 8.1 oz
Blade Thickness: 3/16"
Handle: 4 3/4" Long Kray-Ex™
Sheath: Secure-Ex® Sheath

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/38CSM/ ... I_III.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the video is about the SK5 model, but everything the SK5 can do, the San Mai can do it even better.

claverhouse

Post by claverhouse » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:02 pm

Southpaw42 - Check out the Bark River Knives STS-5.
He either fears his fate too much,
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all.

southpaw42

Post by southpaw42 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:25 pm

The recommendations are interesting, any other models?

DarkPhoenix
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead series, BrainDead, ZombieLand, Shaun of the Dead, and for really bad movies, Video Dead.

Post by DarkPhoenix » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:33 am

southpaw42 wrote:The recommendations are interesting, any other models?
Beckers are always nice knives. Cheap, strong and easy to sharpen and keep sharp.

I feel like you eye-ballin' me, dawg!

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:03 pm

i'm sorry if what i'm about to talk about ain't about a fixed knife but since we don't have a recommendation thread about folder i gonna use this one

i know some knifemaker and they can forge whatever you want...........for as long as it a fixed . i know no one that could make me a folder. any idea ?

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:46 pm

azrael99 wrote:i'm sorry if what i'm about to talk about ain't about a fixed knife but since we don't have a recommendation thread about folder i gonna use this one

i know some knifemaker and they can forge whatever you want...........for as long as it a fixed . i know no one that could make me a folder. any idea ?
Depends on what you are looking for, a custom designed knife collaboration between you and the maker or a tactical knife or slipjoint, frame lock,liner lock, lot of makers have specific styles that they do. Price makes a big difference in recommendations too if you can narrow it down a bit I can offer some good craftsmen.
ZS#4545

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:36 pm

Not exactly related to specifically fixed-blades, but I didn't think this question needed an entire thread.

What's the general consensus/your guys' thoughts on karambit knives? Obviously, they're not the most utilitarian thing in the world, but if I could invest some time in training with one would it be worth it?
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:44 pm

*edit*
Last edited by azrael99 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:44 pm

a friend of mine introduced me to what he told me "the most versatile tactical knife , and the best quality for the price"

he talked to me the "Silver Trident"

here what they say about it.

The Silver Trident is more than a symbol of Americas top Special Ops personnel. Its living proof that guys who handle our nations nastier chores will go through whatever kind of hell is necessary, so long as they have the best gear.

The Silver Trident has the most technically advanced handle ever engineered on a combat knife. Its resistant to heat, UV light and chemicals. The brainchild of William Harsey, Jr. and Chief Watson—a founding member of Navy Seal Team 2—the handle is a co-mold of two versions of the material called Hytrel. Inside, there's a rock-hard version for strength. Outside, there's the soft, textured version for extreme grip control. Use the stainless steel butt cap as a hammer.

The double-edged clip point blade is 154C stainless steel, heat-treated to achieve a hardness rating of HRC 59-61. That means you get excellent edge retention, strength and flexibility. The non-reflective black blade limits glare and corrosion.

please anyone ever had one or ever tried it ??

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:30 am

CL's Rules of the Desert

Carrying too much water makes you strong, carrying too little water makes you dead
There is a word for people that travel in the bush unarmed....Victim
Untested gear is unproven gear, unproven gear fails when you need it most.

all gear at one time was untested or unproven
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

Sen

Post by Sen » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:39 pm

azrael99 wrote:a friend of mine introduced me to what he told me "the most versatile tactical knife , and the best quality for the price"

The Silver Trident is more than a symbol of Americas top Special Ops personnel. Its living proof that guys who handle our nations nastier chores will go through whatever kind of hell is necessary, so long as they have the best gear.

The Silver Trident has the most technically advanced handle ever engineered on a combat knife. Its resistant to heat, UV light and chemicals. The brainchild of William Harsey, Jr. and Chief Watson—a founding member of Navy Seal Team 2—the handle is a co-mold of two versions of the material called Hytrel. Inside, there's a rock-hard version for strength. Outside, there's the soft, textured version for extreme grip control. Use the stainless steel butt cap as a hammer.

The double-edged clip point blade is 154C stainless steel, heat-treated to achieve a hardness rating of HRC 59-61. That means you get excellent edge retention, strength and flexibility. The non-reflective black blade limits glare and corrosion.

I bought one a few years ago, before I knew what I wanted in a knife. It feels good in the hand but the double blade and the serrations (mine has them on both sides) make it pretty much useless for any task I've every needed a knife for. It's not a bad knife to own, but for the money you could get a Bark River or a Fallkniven.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:13 pm

azrael99 wrote:
Bunni wrote:If you want something cheaper, disposible and tough as a coffin nail:

You can get a True Flight Thrower for around $30. Its not really a throwing knife. Its just a solid no frills hunk of steel with a tough coating that you can shave with. Holds an edge very well and can be stropped to razor like status. Most important, you do not have to care about it.
100% agree on this one, that one is as good as the tanto, it just shape differently
Yep the CS True Flight Thrower is an exceptional knife. I love mine, which I have had for over 10 yrs. It has served me well in the AZ desert, the rainforests of the Pac NW, and the Pine Barrens of NJ. A good blade for general camp cores like wood processing, food prep, shelter set up, etc. I have used mine to dig with, lashed it into a spear, even use it as a ferro rod striker (cleaned an area under the choil for this)

I rewrapped it with my own paracord a few years ago. Not due to the other cord wearing out, just liked the black and white a bit better.

These are great beater knives that are cheap enough that you don't feel bad about abusing and if lost or damaged you aren't out $100's. While a fairly big knife they are compact in that they are flat, so pack easy. While some $200+ knives are great, this low cost ($20 when I got mine) knife shows you don't need all the frills or huge price for a good knife. Quite a few times I have considered buying a few of these just to pack away for trade items. A decent fixed blade could be a great trade item.

Another knife I really would suggest is the Jeff White's Nessmuck

Low cost high quality great bush knife. $57 with a Robert Jones sheath. Cheaper if bought without sheath. These are amazing skinners, and if you do much dressing of animals this is a great buy. These are also good food processing knives. While you could do wood carving or other tasks, these really are knives that are best kept especially for skinning/butchering and/or food prep only. These are amazingly high quality knives for the low price of $35ish for the knife alone. Shhhhh don't tell Jeff White but I would have paid $60 to $90 for one of these.

Jeff White does make some other styles too, check his stuff out on ebay if interested.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:34 am

azrael99 wrote:a friend of mine introduced me to what he told me "the most versatile tactical knife , and the best quality for the price"

Sometimes what makes a good knife for a Navy SEAL does not make a good knife for Bushcraft and survival. Most SEALs want a blade with partial serrations so they can cut cord and rope quickly. Most SEALs like rubberized grips, finger grooves, and full guards because they need a good grip on their knife in wet environments. Also with all the saltwater exposure they stick with stainless steel, and plastic, rubber, and kydex sheath and handle material. Some SEALs also like double edged blades and narrow tips because they need to slash and put holes in things and people.

However a double edge knife with partial serrations, finger grooves and a large double sided guard made be the worst knife to have for wood working, wilderness survival or even some civilian fighting for his life, hundreds of miles away from the nearest ocean.

Not that the SEALs are wrong, but its different tools for different jobs.

Return to “Other Weapons”