The ZS collaborative Fixed Blade Recommendation Thread

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Re: The ZS collaborative Fixed Blade Recommendation Thread

Post by ausher » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:23 pm

The two would make a good comparison test. I'll order the cold steel GI tanto also next check.

Bunni

Post by Bunni » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:52 pm

If you want something cheaper, disposible and tough as a coffin nail:

You can get a True Flight Thrower for around $30. Its not really a throwing knife. Its just a solid no frills hunk of steel with a tough coating that you can shave with. Holds an edge very well and can be stropped to razor like status. Most important, you do not have to care about it.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:09 am

Bunni wrote:If you want something cheaper, disposible and tough as a coffin nail:

You can get a True Flight Thrower for around $30. Its not really a throwing knife. Its just a solid no frills hunk of steel with a tough coating that you can shave with. Holds an edge very well and can be stropped to razor like status. Most important, you do not have to care about it.
100% agree on this one, that one is as good as the tanto, it just shape differently
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

ZH10950
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Yes.

Re: All Purpose Fixed Blade Knife Questions and Reviews

Post by ZH10950 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:12 am

whisk.e.rebellion wrote:We get a lot of people asking, "Which knife should I get for X dollars?"

Let's consolidate all of those questions and reviews here.

I'll start. I know jack about knives (other than kitchen knives) and am looking for a fixed blade knife that's not a traditional Ka-Bar. I'm looking to spend about $100. I'm not looking to fill any specific niche, just kind of an all purpose knife for every day use.
Other than my Kabars I use Silver Stag. I've used them for a long time for hunting, utility, just about everything. They can take a beating, stay sharp, and I like anything with a bone handle...

http://silverstagknives.com/
"The people you are after are the people you depend on: we cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not f*** with us." - Tyler Durden

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:45 am

ausher wrote:I'm looking for a tanto style knife, not a traditional Japanese style, but like the one on the first page of this thread. The cold steel one. with a 5-6" or so blade length for around $50 ish or less. How is cold steel quality? Maybe more than $50 if I can get a better knife for the price..
What blade material is best? I see cold steel uses aus8 not sure if that's good or bad or just OK... I'm clueless about knives and figure I'll get into them since guns and ammo are all crazy now...
What can ya reccomend me?
Another under $50 option are the ontario SP1 or SP2.

The SP1 is basically Ontario's version of the Ka-bar. 1095 steel, 7" blade, 3/16 thick, with a rubberized krayton handle. The SP2 is a modernized Air Force Survival knife, basically a 5 1/2" Ka-bar with a 3/16 blade. Both are made in the USA, and while the half nylon half leather sheath may seem odd, it actually very functional. Both knives sell for under $50.

I'm a fan of some Cold Steel knives, and I like Aus8, I just hate that some of their mid to lower priced stuff is going downhill every year on the quality scale. Carbon V made in the USA was replaced with Aus8 Tiawan and now they are making knives with 4116 Krupp stainless, which is a German company that have foundries producing their steel in China. I had high hopes for the leatherneck in Aus8 but when they switch steels, I bailed on the Idea of getting one. Its a shame because its a ka-bar with a much better/sturdier design than the original, but that point is moot, now that it has a soft, inferior steel to 1095 and AUS8.

If Cold Steel continues to move from using AUS 8 to 4116 in there other knives, I doubt I would buy any of their knives anymore.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:39 pm

do anyone know if there is such a thing as a *real* expendables, stallone type knife ?

i LOVE that knife, and except replica i can't find one, i want a real dagger like that. not just some non-usable replica.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Storm Crow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead re-make

Post by Storm Crow » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:17 pm

http://www.hibbenknives.com/expendables.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gil doesn't have one of these available at the moment. The Musso-type Bowie carried by Dolph Lundgren's character is, for $1850.
Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

Forged blades: http://www.helmforge.com

Stock removal blades: http://www.helmgrind.com

The Wasteland Crow Project: http://wastelandcrow.blogspot.com

Raven927

Post by Raven927 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:38 am

azrael99 wrote:
Bunni wrote:If you want something cheaper, disposible and tough as a coffin nail:

100% agree on this one, that one is as good as the tanto, it just shape differently
I saw this at a local cabela's, do you recommend the purchase? I'm a fan of throwing knives. But 'd rather a type that can serve a bushcrat purpose rather than knife throwing.

Apologize for spelling errors. Ron
crypto wrote:The Ruger Hokey-Pokey

YOU PUT THE MAGAZINE IN
YOU TAKE THE MAGAZINE OUT
YOU TURN IT UPSIDE-DOWN AND THEN YOU SHAKE IT ALL ABOUT
YOU YELL SOME MOTHERFUCKERS THEN YOU BEAT THE SPRING BACK OUT
THATS-WHAT-ITS-ALL-ABOUT!

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:34 am

eyup, that throwing knife, probably saw more bushcraft task than throwing. the shape of it is perfect for such task, and if you get a wood shaft and some paracord then you can make a awesome spear with it. :awesome:

i know, if it wasen't because i didn't had enough money, i would had got one yesterday at the store. :vmad:

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:29 am

azrael99 wrote:do anyone know if there is such a thing as a *real* expendables, stallone type knife ?

i LOVE that knife, and except replica i can't find one, i want a real dagger like that. not just some non-usable replica.

Wow, I looked at the replica stats and the blade is 12" long. Its shape is very similar to a german WWII trench knife, but those are only 6" blades. I don't know of any foot long daggers out there.

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:04 pm

Got it today. First impression... one solid beefy knife! Fairly sharp out of the box. Surprised it could shave off arm hair...

Bunni

Post by Bunni » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:21 pm

That knife design is called an Arkansas Toothpick or Pigsticker Bowie. They are great for poking deep and have long been used on boar and on cows in slaughter houses.

The True flight thrower is an amazing bushcraft knife. Easily strapped anywhere. It really is a tough tough knife. It used to be my edc work knife, but I try to carry as little as I can now days. I carry a Cold Steel Double Agent for work. Tiny easily concealed and lethal.

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ausher » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:57 pm

Anyone familiar with Ontario knife co.? Seems like a cheaper alternative to esee.....

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:09 pm

i personally like Ontario knife

their machete are far better than anything else, really durable and their combat knife are rugged but yet durable.

for me Ontario knife are as good a Cold Steel , and i often check both of them. if one don't have what i want, the other will have it.

and if we talk about kitchen knifes, the old hickory can't be beat. our ancestor used similar knife during the last century.

i can't say that everything they make is good. but all of those i handed were awesome.

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ausher » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:16 pm

I remember old hickory from my grandpa when I was a kid. I think he had a fillet knife. I may have it now in his old fishing tackle box. I'll have to look.

There's an eBay dealer located 20 miles from me who has a large selection of knives. Bout every brand out there. Saw an Ontario knife for $80 I may get from him.

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Post by Whiskey » Sun May 12, 2013 9:03 pm

Ontario is like a cheaper ESEE. They have a lot of similar designs. Randall had his first blade, the RTAK, made by them. Heat treat and finish isnt nearly as good.

I got something new the other day.

Looks like a movie prop mall ninja piece, but really, it is a solid field knife. Tom Brown Tracker 2 by TOPS. Generally, I think everything from TOPS is overpriced nonsense, but this thing actually works. Ill wait to do a full review, but I will tell you this, Ive never before had a saw back knife that works. The saw edge on this thing cuts like a champ.

I think this knife my replace my ESEE Laser Strike...
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

kontraktniki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by kontraktniki » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:17 am

Ontario is one of my favorite manufacturers. While fit and finish (and warranty) may not be equal to ESEE, that does not mean their knives are not working knives. Good materials, solid pricing, solid customer support, and a variety of intriguing designs.

I really like the Ranger Bush Series knives designed by Justin Gingrich, and if you are drawn to ESEE the RAT series will get you similar knives at 50-60% of the price.

My favorite of the bunch is the Blackbird, of which I own two.

Have yet to jump into the Spec Plus Gen II series, but I will eventually for sure. I've heard great things about the SP46.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:41 pm

I'm thinking of eventually getting an ESSE 6 inch...good?
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:24 pm

0122358 wrote:I'm thinking of eventually getting an ESSE 6 inch...good?
They're well made. I had one for awhile, eventually got rid of it because I have always reaching for one of my 4' knives.

Large knives are impressive looking, but I've always done a bit better with fixed blade knives between 3.5 and 5 inches. Little more control. For chopping I just use a hatchet. Except for chopping or batoning there's not much that a 6 or 7' is going to do better than a 4' knife of comparable quality.

You might think a little differently, that's cool. Whatever.

Just saying...that particular knife is well made but beefy. Handle's decent non-slip micarta, but I could never get past the fact that the handle was just a bit too wide for my taste.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:23 am

Browning 35 wrote:
0122358 wrote:I'm thinking of eventually getting an ESSE 6 inch...good?
They're well made. I had one for awhile, eventually got rid of it because I have always reaching for one of my 4' knives.

Large knives are impressive looking, but I've always done a bit better with fixed blade knives between 3.5 and 5 inches. Little more control. For chopping I just use a hatchet. Except for chopping or batoning there's not much that a 6 or 7' is going to do better than a 4' knife of comparable quality.

You might think a little differently, that's cool. Whatever.

Just saying...that particular knife is well made but beefy. Handle's decent non-slip micarta, but I could never get past the fact that the handle was just a bit too wide for my taste.
For the longest time...ive been wanting either a SOG seal pup elite or a Becker BK2 (for the past 2 years) THe ESSE idea is within the last week or so...
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:10 am

0122358 wrote:For the longest time...ive been wanting either a SOG seal pup elite or a Becker BK2 (for the past 2 years) THe ESSE idea is within the last week or so...
Out of those I'd probably go with w/the SOG Seal Pup.

Fairly spur of the moment impulse buys don't usually go good for me. So usually if I kind of want something I'll wait a bit before actually buying it to see if something else ends up on the list. If it stays on the list for awhile and nothing else catches my interest (which means it's unique in some way or that it actually fills a niche) then I'll pull the trigger on it.

If I was making a suggestion for just an all around camp/general purpose hunting/camp knife I'd say check out the Fallkniven F1 or the Esee RC-1. I've had real good luck with the F1.

I'm just some random dude of the net though.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Post by Whiskey » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:14 am

The ESEE 6 is a good one knife solution. Had one for a while, sold it to my buddy, because if I need a chopper, I use my Junglas, if I need anything else, it's my ESEE Laser Strike. Or right now, my Tracker 2.

I don't think you will regret the 6. I would take it over the SOG, any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Post by Whiskey » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:17 am

The BK2 isn't a bad option either. It's just very thick. Comparable to the ESEE 5, which was my first good fixed blade. The 5 got sold off a long while after I got my LS, because I see the LS as a better field blade. I didn't need a blade to cut my way out of a Blackhawk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:30 am

Whiskey wrote:I don't think you will regret the 6. I would take it over the SOG, any day.
Depends on what sort of use it'll see.

For a general purpose, one knife to-do-it-all sort of blade that'll see hard use I'll take AUS 8 over 1095 just because the AUS 8 is known for it's corrosion resistance and ease of sharpening properties. There's nothing wrong with 1095, been around for a long time and it's a great low cost steel. 1095 has to be cared for a little more than AUS 8 though. Not a whole lot more care, but enough.

I mean there are other factors involved in a knife than just the steel it's made out of, but it's one of the main things to look at. General purpose knives also tend to get beat to shit, so I'd go for something that doesn't require a whole lot of care (or at least less care).

That's my reasoning anyway. YMMV, just saying...yada yada
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:

Return to “Other Weapons”