Your worst knife

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

spyderco monkey
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Your worst knife

Post by spyderco monkey » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:59 am

The glock field knife I won. It sucks, super dull edge, not pointy tip, "saw" on back is fuck all useless.
“Few will understand me, but I write for the connoisseurs, trusting that they will not be offended by the confidence of my opinions.” Field Marshal Maurice Comte de Saxe, My Reveries, 1732

For honest, in-depth gear reviews, please visit:
http://www.good-kit.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:50 am

Suizen wrote:
Hooligan wrote:
mk_ultra wrote:I know I am the odd man out on this one , but I think CRKT knives are junk . I have had two totally self-destruct on me under very light use .
I agree with you on this they seem to have quality control issues. Not saying some people don't get great knives from them but it seems to be a toss up.
Never understood the fascination either. Every CRKT knife Ive owned or handled has left me feeling very "meh".
I used the M16-01z extensively before I quit cutting lawns for a living. It seemed to me that the weakest point on that knife was the pocket clip. Everything else seemed solid, but the screws would back out of the clip, the clip would bend easily, and if you even slightly over torqued the screws they would break off. I also used some Kershaw folders, namely; the blackout and the leek, I thought that the blades were too thin on them. On both of those knives the tip broke off through only slight abuse. I now only use Emerson folders, because they can handle the amount of abuse I feel that a knife should be able to take. I know that someone will say you shouldn't abuse a knife at all. They are correct, but shit happens, and I want a knife that can take some shit.

edited to add: I am not saying there are no other brands of knives that can take abuse, just that I am well pleased with the Emerson brand.

To stay on topic, currently the worst knife I own (not including kitchen knives) is a Smith and Wesson HRT. There is nothing wrong with it except that it is impractical. The worst knife I have ever owned was a Barlow brand knife. The knife would rust even while oiled, and it became impossible to open without pliers after a few months of use. Second worst was a Chinese automatic knife that had a hidden trigger. It looked like a fudd knife, except that when pressed, one of the stainless steel panels would open the blade. It looked and felt like a quality piece, except that when the screws became loose the blade would not open. It would usually open about ten times reliably then malfunction.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

fungusmunkey

Post by fungusmunkey » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:13 pm

EricinMaryland wrote:Anything made of 440 stainless steel seems to lose its edge almost immediately.
+1 and I have a hard time putting a edge on anything 440. Different types of stone or sharpening methods, nothing matters. Just can't ever get a descent edge back on a 440 knife. So i kind of use them as disposable knives.

Except Bucks 440HC which has to be different than regular cheap ass 440 since I can actually sharpen it.

Also as to CRKT knives. I purchased an M16 tanto around '99 or 2000 and it has been great EDC and quite abused. Sharpens well, good steel. It is the early model before the additional safety blade lock. I purchased another in case I lost the original just a couple of years ago and it is a POS. The blade is different steel the old one was AUS 4 I think, the new one is some cheaper crap that dulls faster. The additional safety catch is irritating, the belt/pocket clip is weaker and the blade tends to open on it's own for nut stabbage.

Skull_Hide
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fight O

Post by Skull_Hide » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:10 pm

spyderco monkey wrote:The glock field knife I won. It sucks, super dull edge, not pointy tip, "saw" on back is fuck all useless.
The Glock 78s and 81s seem to be fine knifes from my experience with them. I only have the 78 and gave it more of a relieve edge but it holds a good edge even after I baton it through hardwood. The tip can be made sharper if you want by taking metal of the false back blade edge. As to the saw back I can't comment. But maybe to you it seems like crap. Seems more like low cost high function.
My Silnylon Alice pack DIY w/ 1606AF frame Hellcat
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=81955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sig 1911-22LR pistol
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=82581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If my post contains a misplaced/ random word = auto spell is a bitch.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:22 am

I just cut open a bag of dog food, and it occurred to me that this little guy has probably been used way more on a daily basis, and given me better service, than any of the larger knives I own. Not sure where I got it - I think I picked it up in a parking lot, along with some rubbish I moved to the trash bin. Thin, cheap Chinese 440 stainless, but it's stayed sharp for a long time with zero attention. Along with the Gerber Splice that belonged to my GF until the keychain link broke (I gave her a new pink Splice) it's been rattling around in my pockets or sitting on my utility room cabinet for years. Ironic that it's almost literally a piece of garbage (someone had discarded it, I picked it up off the ground one day) but it's been as or more useful than tools that cost me 40-50 bucks.

George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

grand94jeep
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Zombie movies. Even the bad ones

Post by grand94jeep » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:22 pm

If I posted a pic of every crap knife I've brought, 56k dial-up users would kick me in the dick.

I'm too cheap to drop coin on a good knife. I have been for years. Hopefully, I'm seeing the light and changing my stupid ways.

I've bought so many crappy knives from Wal-mart and gun shows, I'm even guilty of the $.99 knives at the checkout counter. I learned that a crappy dull knife will certainly cut you faster (and harder) than a good sharp knife.

I hope to change that here soon. I'm saving up for a few ESEE knives. Shit, for all the cheap knives I've bought over the years, I could own the whole ESEE line. :oops: :evil:

Thanks for all the crappy knife pics and names. This thread should help me from making more mistakes in the future. :D

I think I'll start with the Bear Grils Gerber...

I keed, I keed :P
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:10 pm

fungusmunkey wrote: Also as to CRKT knives. I purchased an M16 tanto around '99 or 2000 and it has been great EDC and quite abused. Sharpens well, good steel. It is the early model before the additional safety blade lock. I purchased another in case I lost the original just a couple of years ago and it is a POS. The blade is different steel the old one was AUS 4 I think, the new one is some cheaper crap that dulls faster. The additional safety catch is irritating, the belt/pocket clip is weaker and the blade tends to open on it's own for nut stabbage.
Nut stabbage? :lol: :lol: :lol: Crap! That's funny! Is that the official term or did you just invent it?
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

fungusmunkey

Post by fungusmunkey » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:59 am

gunsandrockets wrote: Nut stabbage? :lol: :lol: :lol: Crap! That's funny! Is that the official term or did you just invent it?
I'm sure others have experienced it, but maybe i'm the first to coin that painful phrase.

Never trust a folding knife in your pocket until you've adjusted the blade tension!

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:50 pm

fungusmunkey wrote:
gunsandrockets wrote: Nut stabbage? :lol: :lol: :lol: Crap! That's funny! Is that the official term or did you just invent it?
I'm sure others have experienced it, but maybe i'm the first to coin that painful phrase.

Never trust a folding knife in your pocket until you've adjusted the blade tension!
That series of knives also has to be carried tip down.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Post by Braxton » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:22 pm

Look at this shit! I dropped it about 5 feet on some fire wood. I still cant find the blade.

I called Buck. They said I had to be misuseing it in some way. ??? How?

I AM SO GLAD MY DUMPSTER MUTT WILL BE HEAR FRIDAY!!
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

panch0

Post by panch0 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:32 pm

Maxam red bowie, it is a piece!
"Tango Mike Mike"

1xoutlaw

Post by 1xoutlaw » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:47 pm

LOL this piece of shit

squinty

Post by squinty » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:19 am

Braxton wrote:Image

Look at this shit! I dropped it about 5 feet on some fire wood. I still cant find the blade.

I called Buck. They said I had to be misuseing it in some way. ??? How?

I AM SO GLAD MY DUMPSTER MUTT WILL BE HEAR FRIDAY!!
No waze! Dang, I always liked the look of those black and silver Bucks with th phenolic handle. I'd assumed they were pretty good knives.

Israel
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Special Dead, Cockneys vs. Zombies

Your worst knife

Post by Israel » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:24 am

The 119 is buck's biggest seller, I'm surprised it snapped like that
Griff wrote:Their are two kinds of people in the world; Those who have a plan prepared for when the zombies take over the Earth, and those who don't. We call those people "Dinner"
I got eaten alive by chiggers at Z-Con 2011

LifeStraw Review
Chinese Wonder Shovel Review

Afromonk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the dead :D

Post by Afromonk » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:38 am

From how clean the break is it looks like a poor Heat-treat

And on a side note, never been a fan of Buck :?

HellSpork

Post by HellSpork » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:39 am

1xoutlaw wrote:Image

LOL this piece of shit

I don't know what you find wrong with CRKT. I have two different models in the M16 line, and they're plenty functional. Especially for the price point. They're not incredible, but I certainly don't lament their purchase.

I EDC'd my M16-13T for several years. The edge didn't hold super long, but I didn't have and trouble with it. Same goes for the M16-04Z I carried before it (only stopped because it's a tad large...).

The Carson Flipper makes it about as fast to deploy as you can get without springs or waves.

Comfortable ergonomics. They both felt good in the hand.

The only reason I wouldn't buy a new CRKT folder is that the LAWKS system is now automatic. I really don't feel like having to tear the knife down to remove the actuator-spring on that mofo.

Only complain I have about them is the odd size Torx screws they use. I'll be damned if I can get ahold of a proper Torx set that fits. I ended up using a flathead bit that just barely worked to get them apart. In fact, I have to tear town the 13T again. I screwed up something last time, and now it opens like crap.

Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Post by Braxton » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:39 am

I will never under any circumstance give Buck my money. When I walked into Walmart and saw them in the plastic pack I should have known. When a company does that it means that they have lowered quality to be able to sell more product. I called them this morning and was hung up on !!!!!

I can't say this loud enough... fuck buck.

Got the replacement for it today...........Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt................ :twisted:
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:29 am

For me it would be a toss up between these three.

All three are so shitty that it's really hard to decide which one is THE worst one of the bunch.

They are :
  • A shitty version of a Swiss Army knife that rusts even when oiled or greased, that won't hold an edge and that will break if you try to use the screwdriver.
  • A Pakistani mystery steel skinning knife where I have a hard time cutting anything even if I just sharpened it mere minutes ago (maybe it needs to be re-ground).
  • Then last, but not least there's my Opinel folder. Where do I start? Flimsy ultra-thin blade that rusts at a harsh word, that has a weird locking system, a poor handle that doesn't fit my hand and so on. Supposed to be the Mora of European folding knives and people either love 'em or hate them (I hate them....I love Mora's though), but at least it was cheap.

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Tactical Badger

Post by Tactical Badger » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:20 pm

Tops Scalpel

Arrived so dull it literally wouldn't cut cardboard. Blade is so thick as to be completely useless, once I paid to have it reground since no one at Tops would return my calls. Zero belly in the blade profile...probably actually negative belly. Coating so rough it hinders slicing. As if slicing were an option with a blade this thick....

Looks bad as hell...sitting on my dresser...where it's sat for MONTHS.
"When I pictured the end of the world, I knew there would be a lot of screaming and yelling. Only I thought it would be in terror, not celebration."

Gurthy

Post by Gurthy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:48 pm

Condor Bushlore

Not my worst ever but it is the worst I currently own. It's a total pile of shit, even for $25. Do not believe any of the reviews out there - most that I read praised the blade and condemned the sheath, but I had the total opposite opinion of the knife. The grind is goofy and short and the steel is shit. How do you fuck up simple carbon steel? It will not take an edge because of the grind, and what edge it can get is quickly lost. I am using the leather sheath for a Mora that came with one of the older crappy plastic sheaths and the Bushlore is sitting in the tool box in the garage in case I heed a heavy piece of dull steel for something.

AgentBlack
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them, anything where the dead walk and eat people is cool with me.

Post by AgentBlack » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:17 pm

Gurthy wrote:Condor Bushlore

Not my worst ever but it is the worst I currently own. It's a total pile of shit, even for $25. Do not believe any of the reviews out there - most that I read praised the blade and condemned the sheath, but I had the total opposite opinion of the knife. The grind is goofy and short and the steel is shit. How do you fuck up simple carbon steel? It will not take an edge because of the grind, and what edge it can get is quickly lost. I am using the leather sheath for a Mora that came with one of the older crappy plastic sheaths and the Bushlore is sitting in the tool box in the garage in case I heed a heavy piece of dull steel for something.
You should have got the bushcraft, it's a far better knife. I have three condor's and the bushlore is my least favorite too. I don't hate it but damn, they should draw out that grind more or thin the blade. Since I got the bushcraft basic the bushlore stays in the closet. I also love my nessmuk, and plan to try one of the sapiens. If condor knives were axes the bushlore would be a splitting maul, you can smash through shit but fine cutting is beyond the design.
Just from the pic you can see the bushcraft has more angle on the grind (or less depending on how you measure it), plus it's thinner...!WTF?

Scud

Post by Scud » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:29 pm

About 3 years ago a roommate and I decided to buy some cheapo knives from smkw. The brand name was Frost Cutlery. I assume they are trying to play off the name of Frosts of Sweden.

Anyhow, I got a survival style knife and a bowie. Both came apart after barely any use at all. I used the blade of the bowie as a draw knife after wrapping each end in electrical tape. The survival knife sits in my basement collecting dust.

My roomie got a kukri style knife (wouldn't call it a machete) and it is junk too.

SouthPAW

Post by SouthPAW » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:07 am

donjulio wrote:
captainhawk wrote:As a hunter, i don't have a worst knife.
So being a hunter means that you have never purchased a dud, or it gives a magical protection from defective blades? I am a hunter as well. That does not protect me from purchasing a knife that seems good and turns out to be crap.

ETA: welcome to the forums
Don't you know by now that being a hunter means you're an expert on all things outdoors-
ex military means an expert on weapons, cops are experts on the law, anyone who's ever taken more than 3 martial arts lessons is an expert on h2h combat, and so on and so forth?

But seriously, back on topic-

I always feel bad when someone close to me finds out I like knives and they get me some retarded "fantasy" type knife. They mean well, but just don't know any better. So, I get stuck with some united cutlery fantasy dagger, or some lame ass "paratrooper" folding knife.

And ANYTHING from pakistan is crapola.

Headhunter441

Post by Headhunter441 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:38 am

Now I admit, in my youth I was a mini-mall ninja. I had/have quite a few Pakistani Fantasy swords, several throwing knives, and 3 ninja swords. I wish I were joking. To pick from those would be a chore.

But to reply to the post several up, I own a CKRT M16-13z, best pocket knife I own/have ever owned. The clip sucks, if I clip it on the thick part of my pocket, it bends loose. But the blade is sharp and keeps a edge. I don't see why it gets hate.
When the dead come a knockin' Mosin answers.

Return to “Other Weapons”