Everyday Carry

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Rayborn

Everyday Carry

Post by Rayborn » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:17 pm

Well I figure most of us carry a knife on a daily basis and so I was curious to what you carry?

I carry a Combat Elite RAA tanto edge

Full size
http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/8251 ... 312011.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life." --Unknown

Knesek Guns
THOR Global Defense Group

RatDrall

Re: Everyday Carry

Post by RatDrall » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:24 pm

Spyderco Lava if I'm at the office all day. If I'm out around town, it depends on what color suit I'm wearing. The Spyderco Barong matches my olive/grey suit, and the Military goes well with my black suits.

On the weekend it's an ESEE/RAT RC-3 or a Blackhawk Kalista.

D-Train

Post by D-Train » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:24 pm

M16 02Z
"I wish for zombies everyday just so I don't have to go to work."
Finch

Zoltan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead; Dawn of the Dead(remake); 28 Days Later; 28 Weeks Later; Army of Darkness; Dead & Breakfast; I am Legend; Pet Sematary;

Post by Zoltan » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:34 pm

I carry my Kingdom Armory Samaritan and my Spyderco USN Endura WAVE.

(the green knife)
ZSC:XV -- California Chapter Forum

"Doctrine is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - General James "Chaos" Mattis, USMC
CLEAR CUT wrote:Chloroform soaked rag in a ziplock baggie, Duct tape, ten milligrams of Ketamine in a syringe, and a bottle of Roofies....It must be date night!

ArmchairWarrior

Post by ArmchairWarrior » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:30 pm

CRKT M-21 02 in G10

Snapshot7.62

Post by Snapshot7.62 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:16 am

Benchmade 710. All day every day.
Suizen wrote:CZ is made of sex. Angry, ass slapping, hair pulling, filthy, dirty sex.

A.C.E.
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Resident Evil

Post by A.C.E. » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:01 am

D-Train wrote:M16 02Z
One of these.

I'll be replacing it soon (pocket clip broke off) but it's served me well for over a year and I might just get another one like it.
My FAK
Cold Weather
Propane Forge
ZS #0091

I'm Swedish, there is no known cure.
sealegs wrote:I make it my business to never be caught w. my pants down, and IF I am, then the size of my junk and the fortitude of my stones will give me the initiative by sheer intimidation alone. :lol:

Afromonk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the dead :D

Post by Afromonk » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:29 am

Cold steel ti-lite or an Opinel no.3 depending on situation.
Hope to get a ZT Military 0200 soon :)

K9medic

Post by K9medic » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:32 am

Spyderco Cricket Image
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

JoeTosco

Post by JoeTosco » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:58 am

Smith&Wesson Extreme Ops Urban Camo

Victorinox Camper
Andre Miranda

Just a guy who likes Guns, Bows, Blades, Tactical Gear, aircooled VW's, and girls.

My bowie
My small utility knife
My sharp finger knife
My longbow

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:22 am

CRKT Hammond Cruiser:

Some info: http://www.knivesplus.com/crkt-cruiser- ... -7904.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've seen the blade steel listed some places as AUS6M, and other places as 420. Sure seems better than 420 to me. Apparently this knife has been discontinued, but at $35, it was quite the deal for a while there. Still worth picking one up if you see it for $35 or less. More than that, and you may be able to do better.

And of course a Leatherman Wave.

Both of these, by the way, are more tool than weapon, the Leatherman by far and even the CRKT mostly. I'm pretty skeptical of my ability to draw a tactical folder and open it in time if attacked. If I was counting on a knife for self-defense I'd get one of those crookneck Ka-Bar belt knives.

Afromonk

Post by Afromonk » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:40 am

I've handled the little Ka-bar TDI belt knife and it doesn't feel like it could stop an attacker.
Theres little weight to it and the blade length just isn't there.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:54 am

Afromonk wrote:I've handled the little Ka-bar TDI belt knife and it doesn't feel like it could stop an attacker.
I mean this, and not this.

The little guy doesn't inspire much confidence; the larger one, while by no means a 12" bowie, feels like it would be better than taking the time to draw a folder, and a whole lot better than nothing.

K9medic

Post by K9medic » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:38 am

Lads before you start knocking small bladed knifes. I have seen what a stanley blade can do and next time you see a Doctor ask him how much damage he could do with a scalpe blade.

Yes if I needed a blade for defences I would carry a bigger blade, but as a "last ditch defence" dont write of blades of less than an inch.
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

RatDrall

Post by RatDrall » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:19 am

Afromonk wrote:I've handled the little Ka-bar TDI belt knife and it doesn't feel like it could stop an attacker.
Blades don't require weight, unless you are chopping wood or bone or something like that. Speed wins with knives. "Stopping an attacker" could mean a lot of things, including severing connective tissue like tendons and muscles, not much blade needed to do that. Besides, flesh is elastic, and compresses under pressure. A 2" blade can cut a lot deeper with a little bit of force.

This warrior knows what he is talking about, I learned A LOT from him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1W7-d_Qxw4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So long as the handle and blade are designed properly, a small blade with proper leverage can be very effective. Chad Los Banos and other martial artitsts with real world experience design some great knives, the Lava amongst them:

Last edited by RatDrall on Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Afromonk

Post by Afromonk » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:13 pm

Yeah Jeriah i meant the larger of the two, with the plastic handle. not the neck knife style one. :)
And i agree that little blades can do a lot of damage, heck, i used to have a picture of a man sitting in A&E with his back sliced up, the attacker had only used a cut throat razor :shock:
Ill try to find said pic in a bit.

But i wouldn't get one of those little Ka-bar knives, yeah sure it could do damage but i wouldn't rely on it to stop an attacker.
And weight can mean a lot RatDrall, for a start psychological boost, added weight often gives confidence.
Yeah sure a little blade can do tons of damage, not arguing that, but would you want to risk that "chance", i sure woudln't.
And the other thing is martial artists, they can do a lot of damage with allsorts of items, more than i can for sure.
But I as Joe Everyman, have finger fucked this little knife and knowing my limitations would not carry it as a self defense option.
Probably not even a back-up.
YMMV :D

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:29 pm

The only knife I ever drew in actual self defense was a Spyderco Co-Pilot. Like this one:
It was a tiny little knife that I used as a money clip, but the mere sight of it persuaded a couple scary people to leave me and my date alone.

(http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30186" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

ETA: The fact that they did see it was testament to my incompetence, as I didn't brandish or display the knife, or deliberately show it to them. I tried to "palm" it in anticipation of using it against them, but one of them happened to notice what I was doing.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

1200RT-P

Post by 1200RT-P » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:00 pm

Sog Trident with the Tanto blade.

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:30 pm

SpyderCo Delica is my all time favorite folder. Goes with me everywhere.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

D-Train

Post by D-Train » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:55 pm

Jeriah wrote:CRKT Hammond Cruiser:

What's the blade length?
"I wish for zombies everyday just so I don't have to go to work."
Finch

rklessdriver

Post by rklessdriver » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:07 pm

I'm a bit of a weirdo when it comes to my EDC carry knife. I have a bunch of knives in my collection but I'm not particular to many of them. In fact many of them got in my collection (ie a very big "box of knives") because I bought them for carry use and for one reason or another they just didn't fit that role for me.

For a very long time I carried an old first Gen Spyderco Delica (w/stainless handle). I bought it brand new in 1996. I really loved that knife but I broke the lock screwing around with it (abusing it) when I was deployed in 2004. I still carried it everyday for the rest of that deployment but was just always aware that I basically had a slip joint at that point....

When I got home I bought a brand new Delica and put my old one away in my "box of knives" but the new one just wasn't the same.... (now it resides in my "box of knives"). I flirted with a Ken Onion Kershaw for a good while as well as other various stuff which never worked out for very long. I even resorted to digging in "box of knives" and bringing out my trusty orginal CRKT KISS and carrying it for over a year.... until.

About 3 yrs ago I saw a Spyderco Dragon Fly (w/stainless handle) at a gun show. I bought it on the spot. I looked it over and it was ATS-55, which I later found out, on Spyderco forum, is a bit odd as most are VG10. Its a quality little blade.

The little Dragon Fly has been my EDC for the past 3yrs now and it's starting to feel like an old friend.
Will

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:36 pm

D-Train wrote:
Jeriah wrote:CRKT Hammond Cruiser:

What's the blade length?
Just barely longer than my palm is wide. 4 inches?

Close. 3.75"

Questie

Post by Questie » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:38 pm

JoeTosco wrote:Smith&Wesson Extreme Ops Urban Camo

Victorinox Camper
Got a Victorinox just like that, only black.

Course I had to be a retard and leave it at an office... still need to get it back arrgh
A shotgun rifle and a four-wheel drive and a country girl can survive.

I would like to clear up that my avatar is not meant to discriminate against any group or race. It is an expression of Southern heritage and not hate. If an authority here on ZS asks me to take it down, then I absolutely will without a fight. Thanks.
http://tinyurl.com/n463kr

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:38 pm

Afromonk wrote:Yeah Jeriah i meant the larger of the two, with the plastic handle. not the neck knife style one. :)
And i agree that little blades can do a lot of damage, heck, i used to have a picture of a man sitting in A&E with his back sliced up, the attacker had only used a cut throat razor :shock:
Ill try to find said pic in a bit.

But i wouldn't get one of those little Ka-bar knives, yeah sure it could do damage but i wouldn't rely on it to stop an attacker.
And weight can mean a lot RatDrall, for a start psychological boost, added weight often gives confidence.
Yeah sure a little blade can do tons of damage, not arguing that, but would you want to risk that "chance", i sure woudln't.
And the other thing is martial artists, they can do a lot of damage with allsorts of items, more than i can for sure.
But I as Joe Everyman, have finger fucked this little knife and knowing my limitations would not carry it as a self defense option.
Probably not even a back-up.
YMMV :D
I hear you. Honestly the reason I don't carry one is that I'm not sure of the legality of a fixed blade, and if fixed blades were legal, I'm not sure that's the one I'd go with. But, I am REALLY aware of how slow I am at getting a pocket-clipped folder into action. Short of palming it if a situation looks hairy...suggestions?

Return to “Other Weapons”