melee weapons?

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Ghostfist

Post by Ghostfist » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:53 pm

Damn, that's pretty impressive. I plan on getting the cold steel gurkha kukri with the concealex (sp?) sheath. I think I might just order that mother tonight.
"SEE! SEE?!?! You didn't believe me! You called me a nut! But now there's ZOMBIES in the street, so SUCK IT!"
Jamoni

grim

Post by grim » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:02 am

Yeah like I said you wont be dissapointed, I own many other high end folders and fixed blades, some production and some customs, but I would ditch them all and take my trail master and kukri if the SHTF
"When all else fails, use force"

Joe Ghoul

Post by Joe Ghoul » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:50 am

I own a MRL English war hammer, and at the risk of sounding overly D&D, it is still the best anti-zombie handweapon I've ever seen.

Not that I'd want to go hand to hand with the undead, but this thing could easily puncture a skull with the backspike, and has about a 3 ft haft, so you're not right up on the teeth.

It as no other application other than zombat, so I wouldn't carry it unless operating a short distance from a base or vehicle.

I broke down and purchased the Estwing camping ax. You may have seen Panda and myself discussing this in the past. For under $40, you wouldn't find a better zombie fighting tool. It also has the obvious secondary attributes of any ax. The feel and balance of this thing is amazing,and the blue handle is starting to grow on me.

Again, these would be weapons of last resort, or used silently with a group to back you up.
Strap on your weapons and reinforce your means of travel.

C'est la (un)vie!

Methos

Post by Methos » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:29 am

Are those the axes that can be run over (and I'm speaking of the handle), among various other things and stay pretty much indestructable?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
-Hunter S. Thompson

SlingsVaqueros

Post by SlingsVaqueros » Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:54 pm

HA HA! The cult of Estwing has found another willing member! I have their camp axe and their hacthet/hand axe. Great pieces. The lighter head makes the camp axe usable with one hand. The thinner heads of the Estwing axes will have less of a problem with "blade sticking".

Bow before the AXE!
I Survived Zombie Con 05', 06', 07'!!

I Survived Wintergheddon 06', 07'!!

Joe Ghoul

Post by Joe Ghoul » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:28 pm

I had handled the Estwing before, after hearing Panda sing its praises.

Decided it was time to add it to the gear.

The back hammer head kicks much ass as well. I think that could crack a skull very easily as well.
Strap on your weapons and reinforce your means of travel.

C'est la (un)vie!

Hunter_4_Life

Post by Hunter_4_Life » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:20 am

I dunno me I am a baseball bat type of guy. Just give me a metal bat or a good old luisville (sp) slugger (with a spike in it) and I am happy. Though getting something bigger is on my list of things to do.

I also like barbwire, it can be used for defense as a blockade or rap it around the baseball bat and swing at target.
Kenneth: Is everyone there dead?
Steve: Well, dead-ish.
Kenneth: Is everyone there dead?
Steve: Yeah, in the sense that they all sort of, uh... fell down... and then got up... and started eating each other.

Hunter for Hire

Post by Hunter for Hire » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:14 pm

Just this morning me and my brother went to our local rennasiance festival which is very big. My brother and i knew one of the blacksmiths there because he used to play magic with us and what not. we were looking aorund his booth type set up and i saw that 15th century war hammer. The exact one! i am a member of budk and i also so that in the magazine and fell in love with it, well let me tell you some things about this hammer. 1. Its very very long 2. its super heavy, and im a pretty strong guy and this was difficult for me to whield one handed. and 3. it has a square type grip to it that hurts your hand and slips, so if your serious about getting it i would either A. custome out my handle or B. go to joanne fabric and by some leather stripping to wrap around it( and this would also make it lok awesome). thats just my input, feel free to ctritic.
Hunter for hire with no plans to retire

"Stop abortion! Fetal Zombies are Tiny and Hard to Kill!" <---noncyr (one of the funniest things i ever read)

SlingsVaqueros

Post by SlingsVaqueros » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:30 pm

It's been said before, and I know there are folks on both sides of the fence, but I'll reitterate for hell of it, anyway. The weight of any weapon cannot be so much that you will tire yourself out quickly while swinging. While a large and heavy object may have a better chance of crushing a skull, any time you need to use a hand weapon will likely require you to use it repeatedly and with speed.

The recovery time that so many folks seem to focus on is minimal unless you are compareing a christian great-sword or scottish claymore against a dagger or knife. With that in mind, a melee weapon should be comfortable to use, deliver a leathal blow every time, and most importantly, have a skilled weilder.

We all know at least one person who collects weapons, claims to be one dangerous mutha, and would fall over if they tried to swing one of their QVC specials around. Don't be that jackass. Train to use your chosen back-up, like it is a last resort. Get good with it, but get better with your primary fire-arm. More solid head-shots means less hand to hand combat.

Hunter for Hire

Post by Hunter for Hire » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:46 pm

i dont just train melee for a zombie take over, i also do it for the Russians..tricksy they are.

"Stop abortion! Fetal Zombies are Tiny and Hard to Kill!" <---noncyr (one of the funniest things i ever read)

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:20 pm

i also do it for the Russians
I'm sure they appreciate it... :?
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Hunter for Hire

Post by Hunter for Hire » Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:22 pm

hahah im just joshin ya (not really the russians are plannin something big.) :wink: :?

Ghostfist

Post by Ghostfist » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:36 pm

The weight of any weapon cannot be so much that you will tire yourself out quickly while swinging.
You hit the nail on the fucking head. EVERY melee weapon should pass this test before anything. If it's too heavy, it won't work. This is why I don't like baseball bats.
"SEE! SEE?!?! You didn't believe me! You called me a nut! But now there's ZOMBIES in the street, so SUCK IT!"
Jamoni

Matias

Post by Matias » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:39 pm

Best weapon for the job: Plank of woood with a railroad spike in it.
Steel yourselves.
Resident tinkerer/inventor

Red Panda
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Red Panda » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:56 pm

Joe Ghoul wrote:I broke down and purchased the Estwing camping ax. You may have seen Panda and myself discussing this in the past. For under $40, you wouldn't find a better zombie fighting tool.
C'mon Slings, I need back up!

"One of us, one of us, gooble gobble, gooble gobble..."

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by kyle » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:16 am

Red Panda wrote: "One of us, one of us, gooble gobble, gooble gobble..."
We accept you. :)
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

ProZombieHunter

Post by ProZombieHunter » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:36 am

I have not yet purchased an Estwing Camp Axe, and I do not know how heavy they are, but I bet that with a little excercise, any G in the Hood could handle one.

I DO however, have a Gerber camp axe, and that beast is awesome -- A great tool / backup weapon (in that order of importance).

While the head is heavy and sometimes difficult to manage when my arm gets tired, I can swing that mutha all day -- Just took some practice and excercise.

...Gobble gobble gobble...
If you drop a zombie, does that count as a kill?

...Think about it.

grim

Post by grim » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:33 pm

Ive owned a small eastwing axe but I kinda like the big one, dose anyone happen to own the large eastwing? if so how light is it?

SlingsVaqueros

Post by SlingsVaqueros » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:32 pm

I might be able to field this one...

Estwing 26" Camper's Axe The world famous Estwing Camper's Axe. Truly built to last a lifetime, this axe is forged from a single piece of steel. No wood handle to break! The handle is coated with a nylon/vinyl grip that resists slipping when wet. Overall length 26" with a 4" cutting edge. Weighs 3 lb. 3 oz. Genuine leather sheath included.

There you go.

Red Panda
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Red Panda » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:35 pm

Estwing has authorized me to send your check in the mail.

SlingsVaqueros

Post by SlingsVaqueros » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:41 pm

Then my job is done here...

grim

Post by grim » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:24 am

thanks for the info, they look like they would make a good mellee with some nice reach at 26in, I think Ill bye one and try the old swing it around all day mellee test, it will at least be a good tool to keep around, especially since like you said its made from one solid piece of metal.

smashzilla

Post by smashzilla » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:36 pm

I've had some experience with a lot of different hand tools in my day and the camping axe would be my favorite to use. When you can cut through a 3' thick tree with out really getting tired, then an axe is your buddy. Not only is it a cutting tool, if done properly, you can even climb with it. Just watch the redneck olympics that they occasionaly have on espn.

You should also always have a back up hth weapon too. Like a crowbar.
Just remember, Pain lets you know your still alive.

SlingsVaqueros

Post by SlingsVaqueros » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:54 pm

I don't know, How many back-ups of back-ups do you need. If you run out of ammo for your rifle, then you pop off all of your pistol rounds, and break your hold out weapon, I think the man upstairs is trying to tell you something. No one is that unlucky. Of course, if you survive long enough to run out of ammo and have only hand weapons left, I guess you could have another. I would think you would still have at least a good knife.

Return to “Other Weapons”