It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:08 pm 

Hi!

I need a little help here! I'm a gun guy, mostly precision rifles and i don't have a clue about archery.
But everyone needs a bow in the collection, right? :)

I'm looking for a Compound bow, mostly for fun, but i want a real one. Here in Norway we can't hunt with bows, but it needs to be able to kill deers in an emergency scenario.
And i would like it compact (i love the compact gun versions :mrgreen: ), willing to sacrify some power for size, but not the "sub compact sacrifice".

I don't want to spend too much money, i'm thinking maybe 2-400$ max
I'm normal guy in length and height.

Browning Micro Midas are just for kids right?

What about the Browning Rage?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:37 pm 

This one by PSE looks good and it's within your price range.

PSE Compound Bow

Zoltan wrote:
Chimps are fucking dangerous

Don't ever forget your DBP's!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:30 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Don't let it stop you, if you like a kids model, and it fits you, get the kids model. I know a Guy, has compartivly short arms, and he uses a 'kids bow' because the draw length fits him.

Personally, if you arn't gonna practice with it much, nor take it up as a hobby, I'd suggest a good crossbow over a compound bow.

My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:
Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:17 pm 

I know, a crossbow would be better for me. But crossbows are illigal here bacause you can't hunt with them and no crossbow competitions.

Could try to order one, but i do believe my biggest problem is getting it out of usa. Now i can't even buy sun shades for my scope or magazine extender for mye rem 700, i might be a terrorist? :lol:

I don't have short arms (small hands :P) Would a small bow just not work for me? Too shot draw length?

The PSE stinger is an alternative..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:33 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Oberst2k wrote:
I know, a crossbow would be better for me. But crossbows are illigal here bacause you can't hunt with them and no crossbow competitions.

Could try to order one, but i do believe my biggest problem is getting it out of usa. Now i can't even buy sun shades for my scope or magazine extender for mye rem 700, i might be a terrorist? :lol:

I don't have short arms (small hands :P) Would a small bow just not work for me? Too shot draw length?

The PSE stinger is an alternative..

WTF? Crossbows are illegal? to own, or just import? manufacture?

sorry, oftopic.

Well, in that case, I'd suggest joining your local archery group (esp. as it sounds like it might be a legal requirement).

As for the size of the bow, It all depends on your own draw length, which varies with shooting style and equipment, and can be change by using different release aids on your compound bow (or a really big loop). To be honest, any good brand (Bear, PSE, browning, hoyt) would serve very well, I'd check e-bay and see what was availible if I knew what I wanted, or buy a decent second hand from my local archery shop (if you have one).

For hunting (which if it is illegal where you are, and I do not advise or condone you to break any law), you'll need broadheads if you want to do it effectivly, which sounds like it could be a problem.

My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:
Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:23 pm 

You can't just have a weapon for "fun" here or self defence (No realy need here anyway)
You need a reason, hunting or a gun club member. For owning a side by side shotgun you need to be registered hunter, for AR's or AK's you need to be an ISPC shooter ect.

There are no crossbow clubs here so i can't have have a crossbow, but i don't believe it's the most serious thing to get caught with, but sure they are going to take it away from me.
But having to break the law and hide it sucks.
Normal bows have no restrictions.

No problem getting broadheads and such but hunting is ofc out of the question. That's my firearms for!
I just want a powerfull bow.

I'm not keen on joining more clubs. :) I'm in a pistol, rifle and ISPC club already.

Maybe a recurve is a better choice?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:51 am 

Here's an option for you, Fred Bear Borsalino takedown compound bow.

miles

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:13 am 

Buy used! Compound bows do not retain their value like firearms do. Go to a reputable shop, get properly measured, buy a used bow, have arrows cut to your length, and get at least a few minutes of instruction.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:21 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I bought my first bow last summer, and it's a Browning Rage, I'm completely satisfied with it as a starter bow, besides paying a little much for it. I would agree with the general trend on this page; go into a hunting/archery shop, get measured up, test your draw weight - there's no point in buying a bow you cant pull. I stand six foot and have a thirty inch draw length, twenty-nine with release aid ... anyways, once you're measured, thank the clerk and walk away, you now know what you're looking for and can find it on your own.

Buying used might not get you the sharpest looking bow on the market, or the "latest" technology, but it's a starter, learn from it, and you'll know what you want in your next purchase.

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:58 pm 

There are a number of compound bows with exceptionally large range of weight and draw length adjustment. The typical bow has a 10-20 lb weight range, say 50-70 lbs, and 3-4 inches of draw length adjustment. These can go from 5-70 lbs and 15-30 inches of draw.

Most of them are sold as adolescent bows that can be adjusted upward as the kid grows. IMHO, they're not as "nice" as bows designed only for an adult's draw length and strength, but they're not junk by any measure. If you're looking for something that can be adjusted from a beginner's 35 lbs to a hunter's 50+lb draw, these will fit the bill.

The ones that I know of:
Diamond/Bowtech Infinity series
Bear Archery Cruzer series
PSE Stinger X series (fairly comfortable bow to shoot IMHO).
Limbsaver bows

Under your budget, I'd go for one of the Diamond bow in a package (bow, arrow rest, sight, quiver), add in a trigger release with an adjustable length, a half dozen carbon arrows.

I don't see any problem getting a hold of the the normal hunting equipment like vibration dampers, short stabilizers, and multi-pin sights, as they're standard for most recreational bows But, deer are large enough to require broadheads on your arrows. With no bowhunting allowed, acquiring them might fall into a legal gray area.

EDIT: Most specialty archery shops will get you outfitted and the equipment properly fit to you. It's common practice here (SoCal) to include lessons in the cost of a bow. While a bit more expensive than mail ordering your gear, you'll more earn the difference back in arrows you don't break, and in not having to figure out the gazillion little adjustments modern wheelie bows have.