Something every melee fighter should have

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Goldor

Something every melee fighter should have

Post by Goldor » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:29 pm

Now i know fighting zombies in melee is dangerous.. But something that will really increase your chances of survial is if you get some leather or chain mail armour.. It will protect against humans trying to stab ya in the back and what not as well as zombies hands and teeth. I would sugest a Chain mail vest or Long sleeve if ya can some kind of leather gorget and some wielders gloves.. That way you don't have to worry much about them trying to bite your arms neck and hands. Some good combat boots that are nice thick leather as well. You can make any of this cheaper than you can buy it.. But if you do make it your self make sure you test it out!

For weapons I would sugest a nice Bastard or long sword if you got some room to fight in (streets and open fields) but if you are stuck in close or don't are a smaller guy then I would sugest a nice mace or warhammer.

Viat

Post by Viat » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:47 pm

Apart from the heat issues with the chain and plate mail. And they also weigh a ton. I'm sure modern armour will provide at least as much protection, and weigh a lot less. And probably a lot easier to travel in.

But I think this has already been covered a lot, so I'm gonna be quiet now.

Goldor

Post by Goldor » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:52 pm

Viat wrote:Apart from the heat issues with the chain and plate mail. And they also weigh a ton. I'm sure modern armour will provide at least as much protection, and weigh a lot less. And probably a lot easier to travel in.

But I think this has already been covered a lot, so I'm gonna be quiet now.
One.. No plate mail do to the heat. Two.. The weight of chain mail is not very much.. Its little more than a good coat in weight. Three.. Modern armour inless its specialy desgined won't stand up to a good slashing or stab (Kevlar most notable). Four.. Leather armour doubles as good clothing. Five.. Chain mail vests are extermly easy to travel in.. I do extensive melee fighting and lots of hiking in my armour :)... Only one thing you should not.. I didn't include pants beacuse they are a bit of trouble to travel in as chain mail.. and hard to make as leather :).
Last edited by Goldor on Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Viat

Post by Viat » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:00 pm

I'm not certain which would be more important in a zombie fight though - mobility or protection. I think if you're in a situation where protection from slashes becomes really important and you're forced to resort to a melee fight, you're probably already surrounded and maybe should have lost the weight and run away earlier. Of course, this assumes that you're facing slow zombies - I'll agree that some stronger form of armour would be very helpful against those nasty fast types.

Goldor

Post by Goldor » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:23 pm

Viat wrote:I'm not certain which would be more important in a zombie fight though - mobility or protection. I think if you're in a situation where protection from slashes becomes really important and you're forced to resort to a melee fight, you're probably already surrounded and maybe should have lost the weight and run away earlier. Of course, this assumes that you're facing slow zombies - I'll agree that some stronger form of armour would be very helpful against those nasty fast types.
Yeah I am assuming the fast type.. With the slow just don't sit around like a dumb ass works well :). Chain mail won't affect your mobility any that you will notice.. I wear my vests (small sleeves like a t shirt) to work whether that is merchandising, freight, mail room, ect.. It doesn't affect me at all :).
Last edited by Goldor on Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

randomusername
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by randomusername » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:45 pm

I don't plan on getting stabbed in the back by my family, i plan on some skin tight clothing, gloves, elbow and knee pads, as well as a nice long sleeve shirt to keep scratches away and i'm set. I am starting to feel like i'm the only one planning on being agile while fighting zombies, everyone takes on this mood like their gonna be bit outta nowhere mid fight, if you keep them infront of you, 5 feet aay your fine.

*Mike*

Post by *Mike* » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:57 pm

Uh probably the best school of thought in my opinion is where avoidance is at the top of one's list in combat, where as using a melee weapon would be right above hand to hand techniques.

As for armor, there are some good discussions on here already. Chain mail is a little bit unnesecary. One of Max Brook's good points was to have tight clothing and short hair. Now having some Kevlar or a helmet would be nice just in case you ran into some trigger happy people. Then I also approve of Kneepads and Elbow pads.

As for melee weapons, what's with the intrest of totally needless weapons. Most of the weapons brought up for melee weapons are the fake cheap ones. Something that's legal and assuredly works is always good. Combat Knives, Shovel, Hammer, Bat, Crowbar, Machete, still avoidance and any weapons the give you some distance are better.

randomusername
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by randomusername » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:17 pm

Helmet equals something to be grabbed onto and used against you in close quarters.

*Mike*

Post by *Mike* » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:48 pm

Gallagher wrote:Helmet equals something to be grabbed onto and used against you in close quarters.
Reminds me of "Saving Private Ryan".

randomusername
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by randomusername » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:50 pm

It should in an aspect, helmets were designed to protect and kill, thats why Tom Sizemore threw it, you can easily bludgeon someone to death with one. but you can also be taken right off your feet when someone or something grabs it and gives a tug.

Maj.Exec

Post by Maj.Exec » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:27 am

I made a post on here about the helmet thing. I'm too lazy to post a link, so use the "Search" function. Anyways, this "armor" topic has been beaten to death, along with the "Which is better melee of firearm?"
They're coming to get you Barbara...

randomusername
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by randomusername » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:45 am

hehehhe, ah, the up-sides of being a new poster to the forums, missing out on all the old stuff...

Goldor

Post by Goldor » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:13 am

*Mike* wrote:Uh probably the best school of thought in my opinion is where avoidance is at the top of one's list in combat, where as using a melee weapon would be right above hand to hand techniques.

As for armor, there are some good discussions on here already. Chain mail is a little bit unnecessary. One of Max Brook's good points was to have tight clothing and short hair. Now having some Kevlar or a helmet would be nice just in case you ran into some trigger happy people. Then I also approve of Kneepads and Elbow pads.

As for melee weapons, what's with the interest of totally needless weapons. Most of the weapons brought up for melee weapons are the fake cheap ones. Something that's legal and assuredly works is always good. Combat Knives, Shovel, Hammer, Bat, Crowbar, Machete, still avoidance and any weapons the give you some distance are better.
I don't know where your at (No loc in your deal..) But in Texas its perfectly legal to own any type of melee weapon.. and the fake cheap ones are not what I am talking about :).. I have several swords, Maces, flails, and different hammers (a war hammer, Pick hammer and such). I personally would probably go with melee if I could get away with it.. Save my bullets for bater or human raiders.. Which is what I said it would keep from stabbing you in the back :). I probably searched for the wrong thing when I looked I am going to see if I can find those post now! I am an avid melee fighter.. I love to fight with my swords or Hammers (Maces are good to don't use as often though).
Last edited by Goldor on Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

ProZombieHunter

Post by ProZombieHunter » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:47 pm

Plate mail is nice, and pretty too, but heavy, and chain mail DOESN'T protect you from being stabbed.

Ever seen chain mail being tested? I've seen it tested (on the completely reliable and only-the-truth spewing TV) on a wooden practice dummy with a variety of weapons.

The mace smashed off an arm. The spear pierced it and stabbed the dummy in the chest. The arrow stuck, wavered, and fell out -- But left its tip embedded in the dummy's chest, INSIDE the mail. The sword penetrated the mail, went clean through the wood, and then sliced easily through the other side of the mail. The axe rent the chain mail shirt nearly in half, tearing it like tissue paper.

Plus, chain mail IS hot. Ever worn any? I have. It's hot, difficult to clean and care for properly, plus heavy, and it chafes if you don't cover every inch of your skin beneath it, thus adding to the heat factor.

The weapons I observed used on the chain-mail were forged in the tradition of blacksmithing in Medieval Europe. With today's technology, anyone with a pocket-knife could probably stab you to death in an instant, chain-mail or no.
If you drop a zombie, does that count as a kill?

...Think about it.

bgaesop

Post by bgaesop » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:17 pm

What's this about Kevlar not protecting you from stabs or cuts? I thought it did help...

*Mike*

Post by *Mike* » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:48 pm

bgaesop wrote:What's this about Kevlar not protecting you from stabs or cuts? I thought it did help...
Nope bgaesop, the Knife focuses only on a few threads of the kevlar, when the bullet focues on several. That makes it easier for the knife to pass through the kevlar. As for bites I don't think they can go through it.

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:37 am

*Mike* wrote: As for bites I don't think they can go through it.
http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort= ... tyle=TE139
-NREMT - EMT
-NFPA 1006 Rescue Technician
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

randomusername
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by randomusername » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:47 am

That SUCKS
The only problem is the elastic that holds them in place is weak
the product looks amazing, but stuff like that kills me, when you have one minor yet utterly grounding flaw in a item that will deter me from buying them.
Last edited by randomusername on Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:17 am

Duct Tape?
-NREMT - EMT
-NFPA 1006 Rescue Technician
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

randomusername
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by randomusername » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:24 am

It does fix everything...

takefuji

Post by takefuji » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:24 pm

If you were wearing chainmail and a zombie bit hard enough, wouldn't the metal sort of...crush your skin?

Goldor

Post by Goldor » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:38 pm

ProZombieHunter wrote:Plate mail is nice, and pretty too, but heavy, and chain mail DOESN'T protect you from being stabbed.

Ever seen chain mail being tested? I've seen it tested (on the completely reliable and only-the-truth spewing TV) on a wooden practice dummy with a variety of weapons.

The mace smashed off an arm. The spear pierced it and stabbed the dummy in the chest. The arrow stuck, wavered, and fell out -- But left its tip embedded in the dummy's chest, INSIDE the mail. The sword penetrated the mail, went clean through the wood, and then sliced easily through the other side of the mail. The axe rent the chain mail shirt nearly in half, tearing it like tissue paper.

Plus, chain mail IS hot. Ever worn any? I have. It's hot, difficult to clean and care for properly, plus heavy, and it chafes if you don't cover every inch of your skin beneath it, thus adding to the heat factor.

The weapons I observed used on the chain-mail were forged in the tradition of blacksmithing in Medieval Europe. With today's technology, anyone with a pocket-knife could probably stab you to death in an instant, chain-mail or no.
Well now.. I have tested mine with a Sword, Spear and Bow.. None penetrate the chain mail :).. Don't got a good axe to test with and I know that chain doesn't protect the best against a mace... Its totally blunt damage after all :P Chain mail is NOT hot unless you make it that way.. Its not heavy unless your using to small rings.. anything less the 1/2 of an inch. Most weapons made to day (Swords, maces and such) are inferior to medieval weapons. It doesn't chafe in less its to heavy.. Otherwise its fine. I make my own chain mail and wear it every day.. All day long! Now the arrow if its a bodkin will penetrate the chain mail.. Its made to penetrate chain and plat mail!
Last edited by Goldor on Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Wild Zero, Dawn of the Dead (original), Shaun of the Dead, Dellamorte Dellamore (The Cemetery Man), Braindead, Return of the Living Dead

Post by kyle » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:13 pm

Goldor wrote:Well now.. I have tested mine with a Sword, Spear and Bow.. None penetrate the chain mail :).. Don't got a good axe to test with and I know that chain doesn't protect the best against a mace... Its totaly blunt damage after all :P
Blunt damage? Dude, this isn't a D&D game. I don't care how many Gary Gygax dwarfs you guys have killed. Chain mail is a poor substitute for modern products if you plan on moving quickly for any long period of time. There is a very good reason why you don't see police officers and military personell wearing unnecessary anachronisms like that.

You claim it's not heavy but, seriously, how much do you think that armor weighs? Now compare it to materials like kevlar, nomax, spectra, etc.
The main parts of your body you want to protect from bites are fingers, arms, neck, and legs. I'm pretty sure having chainmail on these parts of the body will only get in the way.

I have no problem with collectors, hobbists or reinactors. I know SCA guys who are very skilled and creative people but this isn't very practical compared to the options that are available.

Here are a few threads were you'll find the debate:
http://zombiesquad.theedge.net/phpbb2/v ... .php?t=754
http://zombiesquad.theedge.net/phpbb2/v ... php?t=1803
http://zombiesquad.theedge.net/phpbb2/v ... php?t=1350

This is about as silly as saying a sword is better than a handgun in a survival situation.
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

bgaesop

Post by bgaesop » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:18 pm

zXzGrifterzXz wrote:
*Mike* wrote: As for bites I don't think they can go through it.
http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort= ... tyle=TE139
I actually saw those a couple of weeks ago and put them on my to-buy list! Great to know those are that good!

Return to “Other Weapons”