It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:23 pm 

Silencers are illegal where I live so I am opting to buy a crossbow.
Any brands, bolts, and accessories that are exceptionally good.

Thanks everyone,
Your Pal Death Druid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:46 pm 

Be careful... laws restricting crossbows can be just as bad as those around silencers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:48 pm 

I've actually been considering pciking one of these up sometime soon myself.
If for nothing more than just to have one . (Though PA did just allow hunters to use them in Archery Season. Hmmmm.....that may just the excuse for buying one.)

Haven't researched them actively. How much did you want to spend. I've seen decent ones anywhere from $150-1300.

Post subject: Crossbow price.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:29 pm 

I will spend up to $400.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:16 pm 

Are you kidding me? Why would you do that unless you were a diasabled hunter? I have been bowhunting for six years and can consistantly (3 out of 4) times, hit a mark the size of a quarter at 35 yards. It has more than enough power (63 pounds, plus the power of the cams and other compound bow options) to punch through multiple targets with broadheads. Plus I can put out so many more shots than someone with a crossbow. The advantages are astounding, and it's nice to be able to do something like that without having a trigger do it for you. If you are looking for a bow I suggest a good compound bow and just practice for a half our a day, you will be able to hit a fist sized target at 25 yards in about 2 months.

Woe to you oh earth and sea, for the devil sends the beast with wrath because he knows the time is short. Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast, for it is a human number. Its number is six hundred and sixty six.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:30 pm 

TheShadow324 wrote:
Are you kidding me? Why would you do that unless you were a diasabled hunter? I have been bowhunting for six years and can consistantly (3 out of 4) times, hit a mark the size of a quarter at 35 yards. It has more than enough power (63 pounds, plus the power of the cams and other compound bow options) to punch through multiple targets with broadheads. Plus I can put out so many more shots than someone with a crossbow. The advantages are astounding, and it's nice to be able to do something like that without having a trigger do it for you. If you are looking for a bow I suggest a good compound bow and just practice for a half our a day, you will be able to hit a fist sized target at 25 yards in about 2 months.

Not sure if this was directed at me, as I mentioned hunting.
Anyway...
I'm aware what a compound bow is capable of. My father has been bowhunting for over 35 years and has taken more deer than he has in the other seasons combined. I've always preferred muzzleloader and rifle season but am looking for an excuse to buy a new toy. Thought a crossbow *may* fit the bill.
Incidently, I've been considering buying my uncle's (on my wife's side) Pearson compound bow. I'm still debating...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:01 pm 

I Am An Avid Bow Hunter And Also Worked A Few Years In An Archery Shop. Unfortunately I Cant Give You Any Brands To Look For Because I Simply Cant Remember, CrossBows Arent Big Business Here. But Ive Also Been Looking To Pick One Up Since I Tore My Rotator Cuff. If I Get Out To My Old Shop Ill Ask Around And See What Some Good Makes Are...

"In ourselves our safety must be sought,
By our own right hand it must be wrought."

— William Wordsworth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:52 pm 

If you do end up wanting a compound I would suggest not buying a used one. The advances in bow technology in just the past ten years are rediculous. I use a BuckMaster which is already and old man in comparison to my buddies new bow. His bow puts out more power for pounds that he's shooting, but I'm still shooting 15 pounds heavier than him.

Woe to you oh earth and sea, for the devil sends the beast with wrath because he knows the time is short. Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast, for it is a human number. Its number is six hundred and sixty six.