Crossbows

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

bgaesop

Crossbows

Post by bgaesop » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:18 pm

Okay, so here's the deal. I am both poor(relatively, life's savings of around $500) and a minor. Thusly, I cannot go out and buy a gun. I can, however, get my parents to buy a crossbow and give it to me, with me paying them back for it. So, how good are they? The one I was thinking of, on Ebay (don't any of you dare buy that before me) has a 50 lb pull, whatever that means, and is pretty much cheap enough that I can afford to get it even if it turns out to be a dud. What do you guys think? Should I blow $18 on this? Would it work at all?

-Jason-
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by -Jason- » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:12 pm

An $18 crossbow will NOT penetrate the skull. Save up for a gun.

Seeker_of_Knowledge

Post by Seeker_of_Knowledge » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:32 pm

I'd say any bow or crossbow with at least a 100 pound pull would penetrate a skull fairly well (with decent broadheads), but both choices are a sacrifice.
A crossbow, while easier to load, takes more time. It would be a sort of shoot and run situation.
A compound bow on the other hand can fire off about 10 arrows a minute in the hands of a competent user, but after those 10 arrows you'll begin to notice it's harder to aim due to fatigue, especially with a 100 pound draw. I shoot at 85 when I practice and find it harder and harder to shoot as I unload the quiver.
Given the weight and bulk of either, it's just not worth it. An old M1 Garand would even be better than a crossbow.

bgaesop

Post by bgaesop » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:36 pm

Yes, but the question is of legality, not whether it's a good first choice. I would rather have a double barrel pump action shotgun with laser scope and grenade launcher attachment, but that's just not legal for me to own now is it? I was looking around a little, and http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/, which looks to be relatively good, has things at 150 to 225 lbs of draw weight, so this thing looks to be pretty puny. Looks like I'll be buying that crowbar instead...

Seeker_of_Knowledge

Post by Seeker_of_Knowledge » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:10 pm

Depends on your family I guess. I've "owned" a .308 since I was 12 when I got it for Christmas (it used to be my father's), so you may be able to get one that way. Unlikely though, since it sounds as if there are no firearms in your family, and hunting is probably out of the question. You might get away with a 10/22 and just say it's for fun (and it makes a great practice weapon), if you can handle the fact that you technically can't own it until you reach 18.

ghostface

Post by ghostface » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:10 pm

What about a pellet rifle instead?
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own...

-Jason-
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by -Jason- » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:52 pm

bgaesop wrote:Yes, but the question is of legality, not whether it's a good first choice. I would rather have a double barrel pump action shotgun with laser scope and grenade launcher attachment, but that's just not legal for me to own now is it? I was looking around a little, and http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/, which looks to be relatively good, has things at 150 to 225 lbs of draw weight, so this thing looks to be pretty puny. Looks like I'll be buying that crowbar instead...

I dont think they make those guns anyway.

bgaesop

Post by bgaesop » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:43 pm

Yeah, my dad is incredibly anti-gun, but my mom isn't, and as they are divorced, I might be able to get one. My mom's friend is taking me to the shooting range at some point.

Matias

Re: Crossbows

Post by Matias » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:46 pm

bgaesop wrote:Okay, so here's the deal. I am both poor(relatively, life's savings of around $500) and a minor. Thusly, I cannot go out and buy a gun. I can, however, get my parents to buy a crossbow and give it to me, with me paying them back for it. So, how good are they? The one I was thinking of, on Ebay (don't any of you dare buy that before me) has a 50 lb pull, whatever that means, and is pretty much cheap enough that I can afford to get it even if it turns out to be a dud. What do you guys think? Should I blow $18 on this? Would it work at all?
Here's something to think about. I would pay 25 for a 100 lb pull crossbow, and take 100 dollars and buy all the bolts you can hoarde in your house.
Steel yourselves.
Resident tinkerer/inventor

SlingsVaqueros

Post by SlingsVaqueros » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:50 am

Don't buy those crappy little hand crosbows, if you're going to get one. I had one of those little turds, I got it for free and I wanted my money back. It will penetrate the skull, sure, if you use it at five feet or less. The accuracy is garbage on those things, they are novelties at best.

The full size crossbows are very good, though. I recomend them from a reputable dealer. My experiance is limited because they are illegal in NJ, but if you can own them, go for it. Until you can get a gun of course.

I would recomend that you get your mother or her friend to buy you a .22 for starters. It would be the best investment for a future gun owner...
I Survived Zombie Con 05', 06', 07'!!

I Survived Wintergheddon 06', 07'!!

Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:10 am

i'd say skip right past the crossbow and go for the compound bow

ghostface

Post by ghostface » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:20 am

SlingsVaqueros wrote:I would recomend that you get your mother or her friend to buy you a .22 for starters. It would be the best investment for a future gun owner...
Yep. And if she's hung up on a .22 still being a "gun" in the same league as an AK, push for a pellet rifle.

yes I know that a .22 is a firearm and like all firearms can cause injury and death.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own...

-Jason-
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by -Jason- » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:57 pm

I bought this crossbow today and can donfirm its not strong enough to destroy the skull.

SlingsVaqueros

Post by SlingsVaqueros » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:07 pm

Hey, Jason, I'm pretty sure crossbows are illegal in NJ. Get rid of it.

-Jason-
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by -Jason- » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 pm

SlingsVaqueros wrote:Hey, Jason, I'm pretty sure crossbows are illegal in NJ. Get rid of it.

What the hell is legel in this state anymore?

SlingsVaqueros

Post by SlingsVaqueros » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:27 pm

Check the laws, man. I can't post all of them. Look around the web, google for it, search the library. Don't go to jail!

-Jason-
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by -Jason- » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:32 pm

SlingsVaqueros wrote:Check the laws, man. I can't post all of them. Look around the web, google for it, search the library. Don't go to jail!

Well the thing doesnt even stick in wood, I didnt suspect they would have laws aganist it. Better go make sure nothing else I own is illegel.

Mugwug
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Mugwug » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:28 am

Relative lethality rarely seems to have anything to do with the laws (which are most often passed by those with no experience beyond "Seen one once in a movie").

Make sure you are in compliance with local laws.....zombies are a big enough threat without having "the man" after you.

Don't they have army cadets in the US? Some of the best firearm and survival instruction I ever received was when I was 16 in the Canadian Army Cadets.... free instruction and they pay for the ammo. There must be a comparable US version, no?

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:51 am

There is. JROTC (Junior Reserve Officer Training Corp) I believe all branches of the armed forces have their own ROTC and JROTC.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:38 am

What's a good brand and a decent pull? And has a good range?

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead 2004
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:29 am

BloodLust wrote:What's a good brand and a decent pull? And has a good range?
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow, 175-280lbs pull depending on how you tweak it, 350fps with a 300 gram bolt, It's a nice toy. I'm saving up for one because i want it. I'll bring it to the survivalist gathering if I come.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/maxim.html
Winter driving guide: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=82858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zimmy wrote:Intelligent safety conscious fireman snuffing telekinetic golems?
Our heroes are doomed without Gyrojet pistols firing antimatter tipped rockets!

Red Panda
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Red Panda » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:52 am

Horatio,

If you don't mind saying, how much is it?

There's a store down the street that carries them & I'm sure they were on sale.

Gimme a model number & I'll check it out.

ghostface

Post by ghostface » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:59 am

Zombie Sergeant wrote:
SlingsVaqueros wrote:Hey, Jason, I'm pretty sure crossbows are illegal in NJ. Get rid of it.

What the hell is legel in this state anymore?
Not roofies. :oops:

Rivethead666

Post by Rivethead666 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:06 am

I am totaly not a bow person at all. I gotta agree with Seeker_of_Knowledge get a gun. m1's are awesome but heavy and honestly I think the rounds are a bit much for poppin skulls...however it is a sweet shooting gun there is no doubt about that

Return to “Other Weapons”