Archery and progressive lenses

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Close_enough

Archery and progressive lenses

Post by Close_enough » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:18 pm

My age is catching up with me. After 30+ years of getting by with single vision lenses, I now need bifocals/progressive lenses.

Question for a any other archers out there. How did you deal with the peripheral vision problems from progressive lenses? I have a decent astigmatism, so off the shelf readers aren't really feasible.

Ellywick

Re: Archery and progressive lenses

Post by Ellywick » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:56 am

I'm not sure about progressive lenses, but I know I have trouble with my periphery when shooting because of my astigmatism combined with having a prescription so high I have to get high index lenses or they would look like coke bottle bottoms. That means the side of the lenses has a pretty distinct curve.

Didnt realize my vision was affected by this until I started shooting and at times the target was blurry/strangely off-center. None of the circles were evenly shaped when I looked at them. My instructor explained it had to do with glasses being made to have correct vision when looking through the center of the lense and not the periphery and the curve of high index lenses affecting the quality of distance peripheral vision.

I had to change my stance (open it up) and the tilt of my head so I am looking dead on at whatever I am trying to shoot. It is kind of a pain in the ass, but I got used to it. I know I everything is right when the target looks like it should.

Get it is a little different situation with you, but hopefully my reponse is a little helpful. At minimum it keeps the thread active, lol
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Last of the Mohicans, Caddyshack

Post by Asymetryczna » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:38 am

Will you be performing the archery from a horse? Also, do you mean to say archery or bow hunting, and do you mean the periphery of the lenses or your overall peripheral vision? My first thought is with regard to your corrective lens and the target. Adjust your anchor point.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:53 pm

Target/field archery. Peripheral vision on the glasses.

Recurve barebow. Push/pull closed form with three under, my index finger anchored in front of my upper bicuspid, and my head drooped to align the string with the outside of the riser. Target is barely inside my current prescription glasses (half rims with 17 mm bridge)

Red Tamarillo

Post by Red Tamarillo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:22 am

You can get bifocal contact lenses (which means you have peripheral vision over glasses). I think an optician once told me the inside is different strength to the outside ring. I'm currently typing with them in, and do archery with them too. I don't find them as good for reading and dealing with small letters/numbers as my glasses.

Return to “Other Weapons”