Ontario USA BWS-1 Japanese Katana Sword?

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Ontario USA BWS-1 Japanese Katana Sword?

Post by moab » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:55 pm

I have a chance to buy one for $100 from a friend. Slightly used. Nothing I can't sharpen up. Should I be considering something else in a short sword? What else could I get in this price range? Would prefer a non Katana point. Something easier to sharpen. But this will do. This is a backup weapon for when the ammo runs out. For a short sword it is thin and concealable. 31" long.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

woodsghost

Re: Ontario USA BWS-1 Japanese Katana Sword?

Post by woodsghost » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:14 pm

Zombiesgoboom had a good video on a modern Hoplite replica I really liked. Copies of the Roman Gladius are good if the steel is done right.

A really really good option is the Smatchet. Cold Steel did a machete version. Other versions would be good too, but cost more. That one is a great fighter AND a great tool.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:00 am

Well if you just want it cause you think it's cool go ahead. It's not practical at all and would probably be a wall hanger. If that's what you want then go for it but don't lie to yourself. There is nothing wrong with buying something you like for non practical reasons.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:28 am

A little quick googling suggests that it might be a fair deal and that there is some scarcity and at least mildly collectable.

In 2008 you could get on one eBay for $70 with minor cosmetic defects.
https://sbg-sword-forum.forums.net/thre ... -available

By 2014 it apparently became reasonable to ask $185 for used examples. There really isn't any closure in that thread so who knows if it sold for that price or much lower. It does look to be in much worse shape than the one you've been offered.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/ont ... d.1195493/

I'd offer $50, maybe go to $75, depends on how good a friend he is.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

moab

Post by moab » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:24 am

They're regularly on ebay for $250. Very scarce. And for some reason mildly usable as I think the metal was better than average. Or something. I don't recall for sure. I know they are well made. But for it's application not worth more than $75 to me.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:19 am

That's not really a sword. More of a machete type of thing . I think you could do much better functionally, for less money.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

moab

Post by moab » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:52 pm

What would you guys suggest?

I'd rather have this actually. But it's a lot more expensive:

http://traditionalarcherybows.com/handm ... d_p35.html

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:46 pm

The handle of the sword you posted will be WAY more comfortable than the katana/machete. The handle of the katana will not be comfortable for any real use. The steel is probably the same, but the one you posted looks to come out of a custom shop, and that means it probably has a better heat treat. But I'll bet Ontario did a pretty good job of heat treating that katana.

The tip on the katana will be stronger and more able to be shoved into things without breaking. If you break the tip on the custom sword you just reprofile it. Just like any knife.

Overall the difference in price is $150. You don't take your money with you after death, so go with what you like more. I think you will be MUCH happier with the custom sword. Of course it is easy to spend other people's money ;) You are going to the PNW, so a machete like tool may be a real necessity.

[Correction: difference is $120 unless you get the sheath...which would be nice unless you do your own kydex, IMO]

If I bought the katana I'd probably put $150+ into making the handle better. So for me it would be a wash. You don't have to spend $150, but when you count the opportunity cost of using your time to fix it and bring it up to the quality of the custom sword it will probably be near or upwards of $150. So the price difference is minimal.

With swords it pays to get something with the right steel and heat treat. Both swords seem to tick that box. The custom sword comes with some nice features and it sounds like you like the looks better. The price difference is minimal. I'd go with that custom sword. And tell you rr friend to list it on eBay. I saw some going for more than
$100 on there.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Storm Crow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead re-make

Post by Storm Crow » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:07 am

Someone who has used the Ontario:

https://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/batt ... words.html

As for the Scorpion sword, they do some interesting stuff and seem to have generally happy customers. They stay busy. $278 is darn cheap for a hand made blade and sheath that size.
Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

Forged blades: http://www.helmforge.com

Stock removal blades: http://www.helmgrind.com

The Wasteland Crow Project: http://wastelandcrow.blogspot.com

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:40 am

moab wrote:What would you guys suggest?

I'd rather have this actually. But it's a lot more expensive:

http://traditionalarcherybows.com/handm ... d_p35.html

Due to the legal implications I prefer a stout club as backup. Some kind of shillelagh type walking stick can be used for utility as well as a weapon. Attached to my GHB is a axe handle cut down to about 18 inches with a Para cord handle. In my truck is a very stout shillelagh style walking stick ( I have bad feet and ankles ) I liked the short club so much I made another axe handle club by cutting off just the top part where the head would attach and Para cord handle again. I've seen walking sticks that a tomahawk head or knife or spear points could be quickly attached .

John Titor was right

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:56 pm

I don't think moabs scenario will have too many legal difficulties.

"Day 1,056 after The Event. I'm down to my last 6 rounds. But The Others already ran out. The world is becoming medieval."

On the other hand, I see legal issues if one is running from a flood or earthquake and some hooligans decided to mess with one's RV. In that case I think a stick with some more serious backup would be legally wise. Just my non-lawyer opinion though.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:29 pm

"Day 1,056 after The Event. I'm down to my last 6 rounds. But The Others already ran out. The world is becoming medieval."
In that case my backup weapon will be twenty pairs of these

John Titor was right

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:47 pm

flybynight wrote:

In that case my backup weapon will be twenty pairs of these

Always my favorite clothing choice. I'm actually wearing that exact loincloth. I have the day off and wanted to be comfortable.

I may have misunderstood Moab, but he asked about a backup weapon for when the ammo runs out, and I will always provide an excuse to buy a sword. Especially with someone else's money. And the swords he has discussed have all been winners in my eyes.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:35 pm

Yea I'm always the practical one. ( and cheep too . I can make my own clubs ). Plus I have experience with clubs. Swords require training to be proficient , but a club you just smack em cave man style.

John Titor was right

Return to “Other Weapons”