It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yarn/cord fletchings
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:04 am 

I was tuning my bow with a new string today when I chanced upon a bit of primitive technology that is applicable to homemade and survival arrows.

I was bareshaft tuning at 5 yards to set the rest and the nock height. My bareshaft arrows have the fletchings stripped off, and I wrap tape where the fletchings used to be to bring them back to their original balance. The weight of the feathers adds 2-4 lbs onto the dynamic spine of the arrow. I had one arrow that was wrapped in moleskin instead of duck tape, and I noticed it behaved more like the fletched arrows then the bare shafts. In effect, mini flu flu fletchings

A little bit of time on Google found that I wasn't the only one who noticed it, and wrapping the arrow with any high drag (yarn, cloth, etc) material stabilizes. It's no good for extended ranges, but it's an option for when you don't have access to a fletching jig (i.e. survival situation), but have to make or repair arrows.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Yarn/cord fletchings
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:42 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Interesting. It is indeed the drag at the rear that stabilises the flight pattern AFAIK, but I've not seen it done with moleskin.

I'm impressed with your dedication, I've never considered the weight of fletching when I tune my arrows. Do you find it makes much difference at 5 yards? Is this for a compound or Trad. bow?

My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:
Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin