Aged and etched ESEE 5. New G10 Scales.

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Aged and etched ESEE 5. New G10 Scales.

Post by moab » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:31 pm

So I long ago stripped my ESEE 5. So that I could etch the awesome engravings they have. Unfortunately they only come etched thru the paint basically. And I aged it with bleach. I liked how it turned out. although I wish I'd used more vaseline when aging it on the blade itself.

But scales always bothered me. ESEE stock scales on the 5 are pretty square. And not to comfortable in your hand. I found a set of contoured G10 scales on knife connection for $49. I love them. Seriously changed the usability and ergonomics of this knife. Just wish I could age the G10 a bit to match the rest of the blade. But owe well. It's well worth it.

Pardon the crap cellphone pics. But I can't find my DSLR at the moment.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Aged and etched ESEE 5. New G10 Scales.

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:11 pm

Nice work, Moab.

How'd you age the blade with bleach and Vaseline ? I've never heard of that.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:35 am

I got the recipe from a guy on the internet. You soak your blade in bleach. But you put globs of vaseline over the parts you don't want aged. Like the blade. Except I didn't use enough. So I got those small blotches on the blade. It's pretty freaky. In like half an hour IIRC the blade starts rusting up in huge globs of rust. Then you scrape it off. And run it under water.

But the best part is the etching. Cause you get to keep that badass skull and crossed knives. lol.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:00 am

That's pretty neat. I've never heard of the bleach and Vaseline aging method.

I've tried using mustard to force a patina (I've got a cheapo kukri that I tried it on), but my results were less than satisfactory for me. I might try the bleach and Vaseline method to see if that works better.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:02 pm

I've taken a paper towel and soaked it in vinegar. Usually apple vinegar if that detail is important, and wrapped the blade in the paper towel. Works well for me.

Vaseline would probably work for that too.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Storm Crow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead re-make

Post by Storm Crow » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:36 pm

I can't give the details (because I don't know them, not because it's a secret), but some knifemakers do a blackened finish with gun bluing and bleach.

Found out recently that you can use coffee to etch Damascus to get the carbon steel to etch dark.
Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

Forged blades: http://www.helmforge.com

Stock removal blades: http://www.helmgrind.com

The Wasteland Crow Project: http://wastelandcrow.blogspot.com

Return to “Other Weapons”