It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:02 am 

Searching and couldn't find specific brands mentioned, so I thought I would create a thread.

I have already bought some carbon arrows for my 30# TD recurve (Gold Tip Hunter 500s, green and white feather fletching, field tip) from the LAS, but I would also like some wooden arrows. LAS has a limited selection and wooden arrows are very pricey, so in my research phase.

So, any recommendations for good wooden arrows? I plan on making my own or at least learning to re-fletch and re-glue tips in the future, but for right now I just want something decent that is already made. 3Rivers has a lot of options, but I don't know enough right now to select a set based on anything but reviews, of which there are not many.

Many thanks for input on the matter!

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:20 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I recommend asking at archery talk or one of the archery forums. I also recommend buying a started lot that allows you to choose which is best. 3Rivers, for example, offers a test kit.

I use compound bows and carbon arrows. The season opens next month so I have been letting them fly every evening.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:05 am 

I highly suggest Merrill for semi custom wood arrows http://www.dmerrill.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=5 The ones I got from him have out lasted and out performed my 3 Rivers wood arrows, for less cost.

I have been recommending these wood arrows for years now, and they still are the least expensive yet high quality arrows. How he is able to offer quality wood arrows at such prices I don't know, but sure happy he is. $75 for a dozen fletched, field point, and nocked. Even with some of the custom options that add a little extra cost his prices are amazing. At that pricing you can afford to give the world of wood arrows a try and not worry about breaking the bank.

And honestly the only way you're going to find better quality wood arrows is by getting into the high end wood arrows with footed shafts and tappers etc...

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:43 am 

Asymetryczna wrote:
I recommend asking at archery talk or one of the archery forums. I also recommend buying a started lot that allows you to choose which is best. 3Rivers, for example, offers a test kit.

I use compound bows and carbon arrows. The season opens next month so I have been letting them fly every evening.

I already bought some carbon and am using those, however, since I am interested in traditional shooting thought looking at wooden arrows would be fitting. I had already looked at 3Rivers and had not noticed the test kit, so thank you. Also, I will take a peak at the archery forum you mentioned. I have been somewhat disappointed with my LAS, as when I have looked for direction they have just said, "we have this" or "use this" and not taken any time to discuss things with me or explain their reasoning behind their recommendations. Which, since they have not been busy the times I have gone in, has been a bummer. I would have bought more from them, rather than 3Rivers, if their selection wasn't fairly restrictive and the employees either knew more or took the time to talk with me.

Good luck hunting, btw. I'm not really interested in hunting at this point, but still trying to get in as much time shooting outdoors myself before the cold and dark drive me back inside to the indoor range (it's really crowded there, I have to pay $$ to shoot, and they constantly have league nights which take up all the space).

ineffableone wrote:
I highly suggest Merrill for semi custom wood arrows http://www.dmerrill.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=5 The ones I got from him have out lasted and out performed my 3 Rivers wood arrows, for less cost.

I have been recommending these wood arrows for years now, and they still are the least expensive yet high quality arrows. How he is able to offer quality wood arrows at such prices I don't know, but sure happy he is. $75 for a dozen fletched, field point, and nocked. Even with some of the custom options that add a little extra cost his prices are amazing. At that pricing you can afford to give the world of wood arrows a try and not worry about breaking the bank.

And honestly the only way you're going to find better quality wood arrows is by getting into the high end wood arrows with footed shafts and tappers etc...

Thanks! These look really nice. And you are correct, the price is pretty impossible to beat.

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:21 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Thanks. Added Merrill to my knowledge base. Great pricing. I recommend the starter kit because once you find exactly what you are looking for you can start adding quantity. You might also consider the season depending on where you live. Where I live, bow season starts next month so I expect at least a small run on archery products and a build up of newer accessories at the outdoors stores. After spring turkey, one is more likely to find some good "bargains" on "hunter boards" or the list that one guy maintains (think his name is Craig).

I have been scouting a lot and found a small superhighway that seems to be unknown to our species. My larger goal each year is to take 3 ---- 1.5 for my homestead and .5 to share with coworkers and such that are interested. The other I donate to Hunters for the Hungry, a good program to provide fresh protein. My personal goal is to see my target drop within sight of my stand.

That said, I know plenty of people that just like archery. Once you get real comfortable you can often tell the state of your mind/well-being in the first arrow or two. There is a book, "One Arrow, One Life" that you might like that approaches this in great way.

I used to get really bored sitting in a tree stand waiting for something to happen by. More and more though, I find that I approach a near perfect sense of relaxation.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:04 pm 

Ellywick wrote:
Searching and couldn't find specific brands mentioned, so I thought I would create a thread.

I have already bought some carbon arrows for my 30# TD recurve (Gold Tip Hunter 500s, green and white feather fletching, field tip) from the LAS, but I would also like some wooden arrows. LAS has a limited selection and wooden arrows are very pricey, so in my research phase.

So, any recommendations for good wooden arrows? I plan on making my own or at least learning to re-fletch and re-glue tips in the future, but for right now I just want something decent that is already made. 3Rivers has a lot of options, but I don't know enough right now to select a set based on anything but reviews, of which there are not many.

Many thanks for input on the matter!

I'm curious about why you want wooden arrows?