It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Bow finally here!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:15 am 

Since a few people wanted an update/pics when my bow finally came in, thought I would go ahead and post something now that she's arrived.

Here is the pic/url from 3Rivers website of what I got:

http://www.3riversarchery.com/samick-sage-takedown-recurve-bow.html

Would like to post my pics, but for some reason it keeps saying that my url isn't showing the image size when I try to post an image from my Onedrive? I know other people post pics from their personal photos, so could someone give me advisement on what is going wrong?

Anyway Stats- Samick Sage 62 inch takedown recurve:
-hard maple/olive wood riser
-hard maple and black fiberglass coated limbs
-Flemish twist string
-black beaver fur silencers (mainly cause I needed to add a couple bucks to my order to get free shipping :D )
-fur arrow rest and plate

Also obtained a sweet black leather shooting glove, armguard, and hip quiver. Chose a hip quiver because that is what I am used to and since the LAS is usually pretty packed when I am there and I get nervous about poking someone if I draw from a back quiver.

I went with the 30lb draw weight instead of the 35 as I am a total weakling. Sadly, I think that will work for me for a while. Need to start strengthening my arms by more than just shooting. A few people mentioned in my first post that the bow would be larger than I am (I'm only 5 ft tall), which is true unstrung :wink: Strung it is probably about 58 inches. However, it is super light and since part of the height is above my head when held at shooting level, the size doesn't seem to be a problem.

As one last aside, I was very impressed by 3Rivers Archery. They set the nock at the correct height on my string for a 3-under pull, placed the silencers on the string, and affixed my plate and fur rest before shipping. They also nicely packed all of my items inside the bow case so they would not be banged up during shipping. Plus, they had equal or lower prices than most other on-line stores.

I ordered from them as my LAS refuses to carry Samicks for some reason. They mainly carry Bears and PSEs, which is sad, as I think the Samick is just as nice or nicer than some of the higher priced Bears and PSEs I tried (maybe the price point or that they are out of Korea- but for the quality and price I don't mind buying out of country at this point- especially because I am pretty sure there aren't small Korean children making them in a sweatshop out of downtown Seoul, lol)

Now all I need is to name her and get down to the range! :clap:

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:36 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

From everything I've heard, the Samick takedown is an excellent choice. I'm no expert but sounds like you have perfectly valid reasons to go with the 30lb draw weight.

And can I just say: that's a handsome bow.

If you want ideas on naming your noble new weapon, read the Game Of Thrones books. The characters' choices in naming their arms is fascinating and take on real resonance in terms of the narrative.
I am particularly taken with Brienne of Tarth and her sword, Oathkeeper.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:45 pm 

majorhavoc wrote:
From everything I've heard, the Samick takedown is an excellent choice. I'm no expert but sounds like you have perfectly valid reasons to go with the 30lb draw weight.

And can I just say: that's a handsome bow.

If you want ideas on naming your noble new weapon, read the Game Of Thrones books. The characters' choices in naming their arms is fascinating and take on real resonance in terms of the narrative.
I am particularly taken with Brienne of Tarth and her sword, Oathkeeper.

Thanks and thanks! :D I'm very happy with her so far. She is a lovely and the pics on the website don't do her justice. Wish I could figure out why my pic won't post...partially because the quiver and armguard are nice as well.

I love the names for things in fantasy books and film! In general, I believe in the importance of naming things and, therefore, giving them meaning and significance. I've actually picked a name for her...had thought of it already, but didn't know if it seemed too melancholic and was debating. However, that is what she wants to be named, so it is what it is (I know, I sound like a crazy lady for anthropomorphizing inanimate objects). I named her Rue...for the word, not the plant. More towards the 'sorrow' definition of the word 'cause that is where my mind is right now. Plus, it's a nice, archaic word for a more traditional bow.

Now debating if I should get wooden arrows to fit period, carbon fiber arrows because they are more durable, or both.

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."