It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Hurry up there are angry people behind you.
Mcusta 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Case Sodbuster 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Buck 110 50%  50%  [ 10 ]
Kershaw Leek 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Rat-1 30%  30%  [ 6 ]
Spyderco Phoenix 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Carcano folding bayonet 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 20
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:55 pm 

The government just passed a law outlawing folding knives. It has a sunset clause stating you have 1 hour to buy a knife from your local knife store ( no internet or personal sales). You can only buy one and then that knife is grandfathered in. This is your last folding knife buy ever, and the only one you can carry in public ever. Auto and fixed blades are illegal. For outdoors axes are still legal. These are the only knives left, at your only store. Remember, this has gotta last you a lifetime. Oh, and prices have quadrupled :shock: .Well pick one.
Mcusta $468.00
Case Sodbuster $88.00
Image Buck 110 $132.00
Image Kershaw Leek $180.00
Image Rat 1 $140.00
Image Spyderco Phoenix $1236.00
Image WW2 Carcano folding bayonet knife $356.00

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:20 am 

I'm covered in the tactical department, but not the gentleman's stuff (although I have heard the Benchmade 581 called a "Gentleman's Tactical Knife"), so I'll go with the Sodbuster.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:29 am 

Good carbon steel in a robust configuration is hard to beat. I'd choose the RAT, though the Carcano looks surprisingly sturdy, and if it was actually sturdy/durable, I'd have to give it some more consideration.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:16 am 

WW2 Carcano folding bayonet knife
Good sturdy knife, off the chart on the taticool meter. Plus it will fit on the Carcano I would own ( just to complement the knife. You know like a shoulder carry sheath)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:25 am 

One and done?

I'm going with the RAT1 decent quality and steel, FFG grind, 4 position clip. I like the clip point on the Buck knife better , but that high hollow grind isn't the most robust

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:49 pm 

No love for the Mcusta? The spyderco I get it, way to expensive. If you don't like the Mcusta. Could you say why?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:42 pm 

Only one?

Microtech Marfione Custom Halo V 3X OTF Knife, yeah I know it is an auto but may as well make it worth my while.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:54 pm 

The Mcusta is cool, but I don't go much for tantos in the woods. Or most other applications. I know those who use them and love them. The Mcusta is more subtle in it's tanto shape, and it really is a cool knife, but 1095 and the RAT name are things I trust for durability. The #1 thing I want in a "last knife for life" is durability. I"m the same way with guns. I want durability and reliability. Nothing else matters that much as long as I can get at least 4 MOA.

The Spyderco would not be too expensive if it was the last folder of my life. When you start talking "last one ever..." then almost no cost is too high...until you start saying things like "....well I can get a folding knife....or an SUV...."

My biggest issue is the tips on most of your knives are very weak. Tips break when subjected to abuse. Well, most things do, but you picked a bunch of very weak tipped knives. That bayonet has the strongest tip. The RAT probably has the second strongest. I"d put my money on the Case having the third strongest point.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:03 pm 

The Twizzler wrote:
No love for the Mcusta? The spyderco I get it, way to expensive. If you don't like the Mcusta. Could you say why?
I don't want to sound like a killjoy, but because this is not to my taste I don't think anyone else should be allowed to enjoy it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:36 pm 

That's a good point. I only really thought the Leek was a weak tip but I have to say you are probably right. I wanted to include a strange amalgam of knives to show urgency in a last chance scenario. I think you learn a lot about people when you force them to make a quick decision with limited choices. While I agree with your opinion. I would say I have a 40 year old buck 110 from my uncle that still holds it's own. Even though it wasn't used hard it was used and still keeps an edge.

woodsghost wrote:
The Mcusta is cool, but I don't go much for tantos in the woods. Or most other applications. I know those who use them and love them. The Mcusta is more subtle in it's tanto shape, and it really is a cool knife, but 1095 and the RAT name are things I trust for durability. The #1 thing I want in a "last knife for life" is durability. I"m the same way with guns. I want durability and reliability. Nothing else matters that much as long as I can get at least 4 MOA.

The Spyderco would not be too expensive if it was the last folder of my life. When you start talking "last one ever..." then almost no cost is too high...until you start saying things like "....well I can get a folding knife....or an SUV...."

My biggest issue is the tips on most of your knives are very weak. Tips break when subjected to abuse. Well, most things do, but you picked a bunch of very weak tipped knives. That bayonet has the strongest tip. The RAT probably has the second strongest. I"d put my money on the Case having the third strongest point.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:45 pm 

I think I'd go with the Rat.

Then after the ban , I'd start making them myself.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:45 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I'd go with the tried and true Buck 110. Classic and more affordable. Plus I like Buck's 420HC steel.

Note: I actually broke the tip off the blade on my Buck 110 using it as a screwdriver. Don't do that.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:08 pm 

The Twizzler wrote:

That Mcusta Katana folder is just too specialized to be a one and done knife. There's no belly on it, no jimping for the thumb, and the handle is curved for slashing. It would probably be a great fighter, but as a utility knife, leaves something to be desired

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:20 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I have a buck 110 from the 70's, wanna buy it??? :D it's about has heavy as my RAT 6... I chose the RAt 1 as I like the quality. I would not need to do this though, as I am so happy with my cheap-ass CRKT m16.

[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:33 pm 

Buck 110. I already have two or three, so I don't have to buy anything.
I also have several slipjoints and a couple Opinel to carry in conjunction with the 110, since according to the given scenario, they are not affected.