Hiker finds 1,200-year-old Viking sword

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Hiker finds 1,200-year-old Viking sword

Post by Boondock » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:18 pm

Pretty sweet find, me thinks. Something for the blade fans. Enjoy:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/22/europe/vi ... d=18162142
A sword is probably the last thing you'd expect to find on a hike -- especially one that's more than a millennium old.

But that's what happened to a man in Norway who recently stumbled across a 1,200 year-old Viking sword while walking an ancient route.

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Re: Hiker finds 1,200-year-old Viking sword

Post by dogbane » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:32 pm

Swords in Scandinavia in the news today. There was a fatal sword attack at a school on Sweden.
Mostly not here anymore.

feanor

Post by feanor » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:36 am

dogbane wrote:Swords in Scandinavia in the news today. There was a fatal sword attack at a school on Sweden.
Yep, the lovely trend has finally arrived at my neck of the woods. The police is calling it "stabbing weapons" so I'd take sword with a grain of salt.

Edit: Seems sword is confirmed.
Last edited by feanor on Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:21 am

feanor wrote:
dogbane wrote:Swords in Scandinavia in the news today. There was a fatal sword attack at a school on Sweden.
Yep, the lovely trend has finally arrived at my neck of the woods. The police is calling it "stabbing weapons" so I'd take sword with a grain of salt.
There are pictures of him posing with students (who thought it was a halloween costume or something?) ahead of the attack. Definitely a sword. Angle's not right to identify it properly but it looked like some sort of one-handed cruciform sword.

feanor

Post by feanor » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:31 am

Yeah, I just edited my reply and when I got back to the thread I saw your reply.

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:34 am

(I didn't intend to derail the topic to the attack in Sweden. I just made the connection in my mind.)

The sword find is pretty amazing. Conditions that preserve materials that can degrade (iron, bone, leather, textiles) are an archaeologists's dream. I used to work in archaeology in the Southeastern United States, and high humidity combined with acidic soils means that most of what we found was either stone, shell or pottery. Contact-era artifacts tend to be glass or ceramic. Occasionally someone will find some rusty old Spanish or English sword, knife, or gun parts, but they are very rare and in bad condition.
Mostly not here anymore.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:22 pm

Oh, fracking c'mon, people. This precisely is why we can't have nice things. :roll:

feanor

Post by feanor » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:07 pm

Boondock wrote:Oh, fracking c'mon, people. This precisely is why we can't have nice things. :roll:
The thread was back on track until that comment so pot kettle black.

Absolutely amazing find, intuitively it seems easier for skin and bone to be preserved under the right conditions than iron so even though someone like the Tollund man is stunningly preserved this seems more amazing.

Oh, and for those that recreate swords from just hilts or blades rusted almost beyond recognition this should be a treasure trove.

yggdrasil45

Post by yggdrasil45 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:48 pm

It must have felt awesome hefting that beast out of the trail like some kind of monster. Jealous.
The Great World Tree Yggdrasil Trembles too its Roots

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:56 pm

I read somewhere that archeologists are going to send an expedition to the place where the sword was found. Given the conditions, I wouldn't be surprised if they find more preserved artifacts. Maybe they will find the owner of that sword up there somewhere.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:28 pm

Boondock wrote:Pretty sweet find, me thinks. Something for the blade fans. Enjoy:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/22/europe/vi ... d=18162142
A sword is probably the last thing you'd expect to find on a hike -- especially one that's more than a millennium old.

But that's what happened to a man in Norway who recently stumbled across a 1,200 year-old Viking sword while walking an ancient route.
I saw this and was going to post it and ask which ZSer had been hiking up there!
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:37 pm

I recall seeing an old NOVA series on PBS about the Vikings. They showed the fellow re-creating a Viking sword by taking thick iron wires twisting them together and after every couple twists sort of hammered the twisted part into a swordfish shape and then repeat.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Return to “Other Weapons”