Musing Over Edged Tools.

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

shoggoth80
Favorite Zombie Movies: Too many to list in total. The Romero films are classic... but Fido cracks me up!

Musing Over Edged Tools.

Post by shoggoth80 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:58 am

Ok. So. I got the itch for some bladed goodness.
Budget not huge, but also, not looking for super fancy. Looking for user tools. There are bigger, badder pieces I want, but those are wishlisted for a reason... nice, but not necessary at this point in time.

Currently musing over the Cold Steel Bushman Bowie. It's cheap, it's burly. Folks seem to like them, and they seem to be able to take a smashing and come back.

Also, Cold Steel Trail Hawk. I like axes and hatchets. I have no tomahawks. Seen them cleaned up, patina'd or etched. Looks fun. Cheap. Buddy of mine has had a Norse Hawk for years. He really likes it.

Kewrshaw Camp 18". This thing is a cleaver. Could tackle the crap along my driveway in a fun fashion. The Bowie would chop it too. Lol. Saw that it got some good reviews. Price isn't bad at all.

Thoughts? I'm liking the idea of getting the Bowie and 'Hawk combo.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Re: Musing Over Edged Tools.

Post by emclean » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:19 am

I went with the riflemen's hawk, preferred the hammer back for other tasks.

bufordtjustice

Post by bufordtjustice » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:37 am

I'm a big fan of the cold steel trail hawks. I find the rifleman is too big and awkward for my purposes. Also, I have recently been enjoying their spetznaz shovel. It's fun, different and surprisingly useful.

shoggoth80
Favorite Zombie Movies: Too many to list in total. The Romero films are classic... but Fido cracks me up!

Post by shoggoth80 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:58 am

I suppose it is also worth a mention that I like the look of the Ontario Spec Plus Marine Raider Bowie. It's a big honking knife that looks like it can take some use. Reviews state that it is full tang under the Krayton handle. Twice the price of the Bushman... is it twice the knife? I have an interest in historical fighting arts, and there are some books out there on tomahawk and bowie as a system. Like reading up on the Fairbairn or Applegate stuff, or the historical treatises (longsword, messer, dagger, polearms), it's intriguing.

Thoughts on the SP10 "Marine Raider" Bowie?

shoggoth80

Post by shoggoth80 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:44 pm

Forgive me hive mind, for I have sinned. I have given into temptation. I ordered an Ontario SP10 Bowie this morning. Tag some reviews, watched some videos...looked at the price like 4 times...and gave in. Lol.

shoggoth80

Post by shoggoth80 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:12 pm

Got it in a couple days ago, and it's a monster of a knife. Pretty much a 1/4" spine, and it pops hairs out of the box...which is something I didn't expect. It doesn't feel like it is that sharp, but it apparently is. A little time with a stone/hone/sharpener or whatever, and it could be scary. It's a hefty knife. Only thing I don't really care about is the epoxy coat on the blade... I preferred the older phosphate finish on their knives. Still, I don't think it is bad for the money. The sheath, while ugly and slow, does hold the thing securely.

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:24 am

I bought the Kershaw camp 18 inch knife. Haven't put it to any practical use, but actually having it in hand I can see it lives up to its reputation. It is more of a short sword than a knife or machete, which is exactly what I wanted. Inexpensive too. I doubt you would regret buying it. See the earlier review thread.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=109444

I have my eye on the Cold Steel Bushman Bowie too. Please review it for us should you get one.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

shoggoth80

Post by shoggoth80 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:13 pm

Yeah that camp 18" looks like a brute. I saw Stormcrow's review of it. It is on the wishlist, but behind a few other things.
I'm tight this payday, because it is the check where the bulk of my bills hit... but I managed to order myself a Cold Steel Pipehawk. I like the bit on it, with the combined hammer that the "pipe bowl" is. A friend has the spike hawk (same bit, different back), and it throws really well. I'd rather have a hammer back for utility. I also want the Rifleman's hawk.

Been reading a lot of Bowie knife technique and history, and just starting to dig in on tomahawk. Have CS training pieces for contact drills. Having at least a little martial arts background (primarily HEMA... favoring longsword and dagger) helps fuel the interest. I eventually want to add the CS Bushman Bowie in as a beater/thrower. Price is right. Lol.

I've been sidetracked with getting source material (books). I'm kinda neurotic, and want a second Ontario SP10... so I can strip the coating off the blade, do some minor customization, and sharpen the clip. It's a big, burly knife...but I also like collecting as well... so having a "stock" example and a customized one appeals to me. I also have a major hankering for a CS Laredo, but that isn't something that I can just up and grab. Got a few other things on my plate to knock out first. Want to build a new cutting stand, and make a throwing target, on top of misc. real life stuff to take care of. Lol.

Maybe I'm just having too much fun with this?

Mej1947

Post by Mej1947 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:57 pm

My go to knife is the Kbar USMC fighting knife. Still made in the US and still made with carbon steel. Not a big fan of stainless. I know there are better knives out there but for the price for an all purpose general use knife it's hard to beat.

Return to “Other Weapons”