Entry level recurve bow?

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

KnifeStyle

Entry level recurve bow?

Post by KnifeStyle » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:12 am

I'm looking for a first recurve to mess around with as I learn. I'm told the Martin Jaguar is affordable but quality, and it being a takedown saves on storage space. Any other recommendations for a solid first bow at the lowest price possible?
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

Wormjello

Re: Entry level recurve bow?

Post by Wormjello » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:16 pm

Samick Sage. I purchased mine after reading great reviews. I don't like the aluminum risers and the Sage also has a wide range of limbs available in different weights.
Lever 4 Ever!

azoth
Favorite Zombie Movies: resident evil 1-4

Post by azoth » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:25 pm

i second the samick sage. i got one with 35# limbs so that i could practice and then got 45# limbs once i conditioned myself. i would also recommend getting a good string with silencers.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
Desiderius Erasmus,

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:05 pm

I've shopped quite a bit and the Samick Sage is the most recommended entry level bow out there. If I ever pull the trigger (string?) it will be the one I get.
WWSD?

cusm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Night of the Commet

Post by cusm » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:02 pm

I've got into archery with my son with JOAD and scouts in the last 2 years. The Sage is the absolute best way to start, it can be had for $110-130. I would recommend you get anywhere from 25-35lb pull, you can move up and you want something you can send 100 arrows down range without killing your arm. Go to a local shop that will help you set it up and get good arrows that are the correct size for you and the bow.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:04 pm

KnifeStyle wrote:I'm looking for a first recurve to mess around with as I learn. I'm told the Martin Jaguar is affordable but quality, and it being a takedown saves on storage space. Any other recommendations for a solid first bow at the lowest price possible?
Not sure if it is still a problem but the Martin Jaguar had several years of issues with the limbs of the Jaguar delaminating. It was so much of a problem Jaguar owners took to using Sammick Sage limbs instead of the replacement limbs Martin was sending them. BTW Martin bows usually are good quality, the Jaguar is the only one I have heard of this issue, and it seems it was due to the limbs being subcontracted out.

Personally I would suggest the Sammick Sage. It is the most recommended beginner bow out and has a stellar record. I can also speak from experience as I have a Sage, they live up to the hype. The Sage really is a great bow. While it might not have the $400 bow finish and looks, it actually shoots as well as most $400 bows.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:56 pm

I started with a Ragin, I hear good things about Samik, but in general, for your first bow, it's more important to get started right than worry about brand names. Make sure you don't over bow yourself, get arrows of the right draw length and spine, a finger tab or shooting glove and a bracer (arm guard).

Are there any local clubs? You can get a lot of good advice and often lender bows so you can try some out.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

Cadillac
Favorite Zombie Movies: The original George A. Romero movies, Resident Evil movies

Post by Cadillac » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:31 am

I personally started with a Damon Howatt Hi Speed that is amazing and I picked it up for inexpensive. Don't be afraid to look at used recurves as you can often find some great deals out there.
Benjamin
ZSC:052 Chapter President

mattltm

Post by mattltm » Mon May 11, 2015 12:44 pm

I was looking for a Sage for the wife but it was near on imposable to get hold of one at the time.

Went for the Stingray as an alternative in the end.
"Spooky action at a distance."

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon May 11, 2015 3:24 pm

mattltm wrote:I was looking for a Sage for the wife but it was near on imposable to get hold of one at the time.

Went for the Stingray as an alternative in the end.
Yes the Sage can sell out quickly at times. That is one trouble with it being the most popular of beginner bows. There is a high demand for them that can't always be met by the supplies.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Mothball
Favorite Zombie Movies: About all of them.

Post by Mothball » Mon May 11, 2015 5:17 pm

Basspro always has a Sammik sage in Stock. Sammik also had QC issues with this bow. I have personally seen two that had the take down bolt inserts for the top limb pull out when they were strung and one with the riser delaminating. All three were sold from a shop I worked at, and all three were replaced.
Zombie dropping gear,
Matrix Grizzly.
Busse basic 11
Beretta 92 FS.

Return to “Other Weapons”