Lets Talk: Air Rifles!

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Re: Lets Talk Air Rifles!

Post by Sworbeyegib » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:36 pm

That looks like a great deal. I'm tempted to pick one up, but unfortunately since I moved from the burbs with a backyard to an apartment in the city, I don't really shoot the air rifles I already do own.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:59 pm

Black Friday sales are coming up, that's when I got my Airhawk for $79.99 @ Sports Authority and that sale is coming up soon.

Buy it now for $88 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ruger-Air-Haw ... e/21125105

Or Blackhawk $85
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ruger-Blackha ... ethod=p13n
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:00 pm

tag
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:58 pm

I'm a little bummed that the Sports Authority's here stopped carrying a decent selection of airguns awhile back. They used to have a full wall rack with various grades and models. Now they only have a few. Usually a red ryder, a multipump, and a break barrel. On the other hand, they have pretty much tripled their firearm inventory.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:49 am

I can't remember ever seeing a Sports Authority in my AO with a firearm displayed. They have decent Airsoft and AirRifle selections here though.

Bass Pro has the best display of AirRifle selection I've seen around here. Probably 20-25 different models. Gander Mountain and Dick's Sporting goods would come in a tie for distant second place I guess. Walmart 3rd with probably 8 models of air rifles out.
Lifetime gamer watch at:

munchie3409

Post by munchie3409 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:09 pm

I've wanted PCP for years now...big thing holding me back was the expense of buying a SCBA tank and hose as they aren't cheap to get into.

I bought a Benjamin Marauder pistol the beginning of October because of the price. I went with a hand pump, knowing I'd get a CF SCBA tank at some point.

PCP are great because there is no recoil compared to a Springer (optics destroyer). My 5 YO daughter shoots the PCP very well and I love that it's not as loud as 22LR and no recoil for her. I gave her my PRod and I ended up buying two PCPs. I have a big bore 9mm/357 single shot and a 22 cal. I'm hooked on the big bore airguns as they are very powerful. Some folks are using them to hunt hogs to Elk.

You can get away with using a hand pump until you save up for a carbon fiber tank.

If you still like springers, I actually have two I'm selling since getting into PCPs are referred to as "dark side", so be warned PCP's are addictive.

I just took out my Career Fire 202 a couple of days ago for the first time. The big bore is loud, but it doesn't sound the same as a gun shot. I'm going to have an LDC/moderator made for it to reduce the sound. I've heard of guys shooting the big bores out past 100 yards, which I find impressive for an airgun.

I have a Crossman Quest 1000x in .177 and a Hammerli X that comes with both .177 and .22 barrels.

Email me at aubienittany@gmail.com if you are interested.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:46 pm

angelofwar wrote:I recently acquired the Crosman Back-Packer (EXCELLENT ZPAW food getter BTW!). Having owned and shot .177, I will say that the .22 pellets can penetrate more. Stell cans? No prob! I will also say, however, I have little to experience in the "rifle" arena of pellet rifles, as the backpacker comes up just short of a rifle...but, I'm a dead shot with it using irons. I do eventually plan to get an actual rifle, as opposed to a pistol with a stock, so am interested in where this thread goes. That aside, the fact that the back-packer easily fits in a back-pack, and you can easily take small varmits with it, makes it a no brainer for a zpaw air-rifle...and being based of the classic Crosman American, upgrades are plentiful...
I meant to give props to this post because I've always been intrigued by this particular airgun. It's not particularly refined, but it's based on the venerable Crosman 1322/1377 family of multi-pump pellet pistols. Good reputation for accuracy, a simple, robust design, decent power and a huge knowledge base of mods and component upgrades.

It's only occasionally available anymore, usually as part of a cheesy "Doomsday" bug-out kit: the gun, a tin of pellets and then a great, big box of crapatola: some paper targets, a throwaway water bottle, a kid-sized backpack and a cheap Curad boo-boo kit.

Invisible
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them, but at the moment I'm watching Zombieland as I type this!

Post by Invisible » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:01 pm

I've used a PCP for a good few years now. I have an Air Arms S410. With a moderator, it's almost silent to shoot; hitting the target makes more noise. With the right pellet choice, it's quite hard-hitting too for a non-ticket rifle. My wife uses my Crossman Ratcatcher to good effect.

I use a 300 bar diving tank to fill the S410 usually, but I also have an FX2 stirrup pump in reserve. I read some comments that the pumps are very hard to use (as in take a lot of muscle) but that was not my experience. It was really quite easy to fill the S410 with it. Maybe the commentators were just puny.

Here are a few pics:

S410:

Ratcatcher

What doesn't kill us, might try again so cut its head off!

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:04 pm

Nice pellet pushers!

Looks like fun, I'd tell you to wipe the smile off your face, but.....
WWSD?

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Post by Mad Mike » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:47 pm

majorhavoc wrote:If you do stick with .177 caliber, experiment with pellets on the heavy side of the weight range. Don't get hung up on FPS because your 1200 FPS rifle got it's velocity rating using some sort of absurdly light pellet that exists for the sole purpose of generating gloat-worthy chronograph numbers. Those 5-ish gram pellets shoot for shit out of any high powered air rifle. Inflated FPS marketing numbers translate to almost nothing in terms of practical, real world use.

My Beeman RS2 loves, loves, loves Crosman Ultra Magnum Premier .177 pellets, relative heavyweights at 10.5 grams. Shoots better than anything I've tried from Beeman or RWS. Plus, they're a relative bargain at about $10 per tin of 500.

Yep, plus most of the really fast, lightweight pellets aren't quite as accurate.

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:07 am

This thread, and the squirrels that harass my dogs, has talked me into it. What are the more experienced air rifle guys thoughts on the Gamo Whisper Fusion?

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:14 am

MaconCJ7 wrote:the squirrels that harass my dogs
I'm an experienced air gun user and it's my informed opinion you should procure larger caliber dogs, or else post pictures of these monster squirrels. With any dog I've ever owned, any harrassing that involves squirrels is the other way around. :crazy:

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:31 am

:shock:
ImageImage

They're like Mosquitoes or 'no see ums'. Thick swarms in the summer.
Lifetime gamer watch at:

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:15 am

MaconCJ7 wrote:This thread, and the squirrels that harass my dogs, has talked me into it. What are the more experienced air rifle guys thoughts on the Gamo Whisper Fusion?
Wait, squirrels harass your dogs? Just how big are the squirrels in your area? :shock:

EDIT: OK beat me to it with the squirrel pic's.

Here's some reading that maybe helpful;
http://www.airriflehunter.com/
http://airriflereviews.info/
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=gam ... 36B96F416C
WWSD?

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:24 am

I'll loan you Ranger for a week, 125lbs of squirrel (or anything else) munching fun.
WWSD?

Invisible
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them, but at the moment I'm watching Zombieland as I type this!

Post by Invisible » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:29 am

wow - zombie squirrels!

Reminds of the Killer Bunny from The Holy Grail.
What doesn't kill us, might try again so cut its head off!

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Post by Mad Mike » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:37 am

majorhavoc wrote:
MaconCJ7 wrote:the squirrels that harass my dogs
I'm an experienced air gun user and it's my informed opinion you should procure larger caliber dogs, or else post pictures of these monster squirrels. With any dog I've ever owned, any harrassing that involves squirrels is the other way around. :crazy:

Well, maybe not if the dog is chained. Years ago in mid winter (knee deep in snow) my hound dog barked all night long, no matter how much I yelled at him. In the morning I discovered why; a rabbit had beaten a circular path in the snow, just out of the dogs reach. I added four feet of chain to the dogs leash and slept in peace. Next morning there a small patch of blood fur & the dog wasn't hungary for two days - win for all, except the rabbit. :clap:
Last edited by Mad Mike on Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:08 pm

MaconCJ7 wrote:What are the more experienced air rifle guys thoughts on the Gamo Whisper Fusion?
I like it very much, hefts nice, packs a pretty good wallop. Like all Gamo springers, the factory trigger is on the clunky side (give or take 6 to 6.5 lbs.) but after a tin worth of shooting, it smooths out a bit. if you are in the mood to tinker you could get an aftermarket trigger for it. The GTRIII by "CharlieDaTuna" gets a lot of respect.

Do not get your expectations up on the suppressor being as effective as the marketing would have you believe, while it does make a difference it is not 'mouse snoring' quiet by any means.

Look, I've been a big fan of Gamo since my first one back in '84 but they are probably the original manufacturer to start the FPS numbers war, heck their "PBA Gold" pellets are exactly what MajorHavoc was referencing about when replying a bit ago. On a gun with that kind of power plant your trajectories with super-light pellets like that start resembling the fight paths of meth addicted gnats.

+1 on the Crossman UMP pellets.

I need to dust off my old CFX when I get home and see what lead I was feeding her last, I know I had some from RWS that were the bomb.
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:09 pm

To be honest I've always stayed away from Gamo's. I have nothing against them, but I was never overly impressed by any of them.

The airgun I currently use is a Benjamin Regal NP (Nitro Piston). I think I'm going to get some heavier pellets and see how it goes.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:16 pm

mr_slappy75 wrote:I like it very much, hefts nice, packs a pretty good wallop. Like all Gamo springers, the factory trigger is on the clunky side (give or take 6 to 6.5 lbs.) but after a tin worth of shooting, it smooths out a bit. if you are in the mood to tinker you could get an aftermarket trigger for it. The GTRIII by "CharlieDaTuna" gets a lot of respect.

Do not get your expectations up on the suppressor being as effective as the marketing would have you believe, while it does make a difference it is not 'mouse snoring' quiet by any means.

Look, I've been a big fan of Gamo since my first one back in '84 but they are probably the original manufacturer to start the FPS numbers war, heck their "PBA Gold" pellets are exactly what MajorHavoc was referencing about when replying a bit ago. On a gun with that kind of power plant your trajectories with super-light pellets like that start resembling the fight paths of meth addicted gnats.

+1 on the Crossman UMP pellets.

I need to dust off my old CFX when I get home and see what lead I was feeding her last, I know I had some from RWS that were the bomb.

Thanks for the feedback.

The squirrels aren't big, but they love to tease the pups. They climb the fence and jump to the tree in the back yard. If they're in the antagonizing mood, they'll jump from one tree to another, on the lowest branch, for about 15 minute intervals. When they tire, they chill in the tree, within sight of the dogs, but just out of reach. My dog ignores them for the most part, but the wife's dog knows for sure that the squirrel(s) is going to fall right into her mouth, so she runs back and forth in anticipation. Mean little critters. Their nest isn't even in my yard, it's in another group of trees 50m away.

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:59 pm

Halfapint wrote:To be honest I've always stayed away from Gamo's. I have nothing against them, but I was never overly impressed by any of them.

The airgun I currently use is a Benjamin Regal NP (Nitro Piston). I think I'm going to get some heavier pellets and see how it goes.
I can see that, to me it is a combination of childhood nostalgia, price point and a tiny bit of pride in a product manufactured in the land of my father and all the Slappys before him hail from.

I think every other male in my dad's side of the family has owned or shot a Gamo at one point in their life since the company started out.

Now as far as quality, they have been improving quite a lot over the last 10 years or so when they actively started to source talent from BSA (which they bought in the 90s).

It used to be that their design and manufacturing was 'insular' with both divisions keeping to themselves, but seems that management at Gamo finally figured out to take from all the accumulated experience and quality that BSA had brought to the industry and put it to use in Gamo models.
Heck, my CFX is essentially a BSA design, with slightly rougher fit and finish and priced a hundred to two hundred dollars cheaper.
Like a lot of the boards suggest, with a little effort and a lot of love it can be polished and made to perform like it's expensive British brother.

I am thinking about getting one of their break barrels with a nitro piston as they seem -again- to be no bells and whistles but reliable and nicely priced.

I have seen that they recently entered the PCP market...that mess I am staying away from for at least a few years. Like I said, I trust Gamo with air or nitro springs: Good bang for buck. I am not ready to make my first PCP one of theirs.
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:16 pm

MaconCJ7 wrote:This thread, and the squirrels that harass my dogs, has talked me into it. What are the more experienced air rifle guys thoughts on the Gamo Whisper Fusion?
I hope you took my teasing in the good nature it was intended to be. Tree rats have a well-deserved reputation for being the bane of many a homeowner's existence. I'm sure they well and truly torment your canines.

You know, you could parley this little varmint problem you have into a trial run on the airgun's utility for putting food on the table in a SHTF situation.

FYI: The movie is "Winter's Bone", a quietly brilliant little indie film featuring a young actress who I correctly called out as a future star.
Last edited by majorhavoc on Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:00 am

I did. I just wanted to clarify that the ninja squirrels haven't made it to my back yard yet. I have a teasing problem, not a jumping round house problem. I'll be cooking up whatever squirrels I drop, but I'm also going to be taking the opportunity to tan some hides as well.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:32 pm

Not sure if anyone is interested, but the .22 Benjamin 392/Crosman multi-pump air rifle is on sale for $124.10. [12/2/14 edit: now $119.23, Crosman $10 offer appears to still be in effect] http://www.amazon.com/Benjamin-392-Acti ... njamin+392

That's an historic low per Camelcamelcamel.com; looks like the normal price spends most of the time hovering around $150 - $160. It's selling for $159.99 at Pyramidair.com at the moment.

Crosman is having a cross-promotion with Amazon: $10 off qualified purchases of $50 or more (you need to add the item to your cart and proceed to checkout before the $10 discount is applied; I confirmed this). That brings the price down to $114.10 [now $109.23], which is an excellent price [stupid cheap]. I'm not sure when this promotion (or the current low pricing) expires.

Specs on the 392:
Pellet Velocity: Up to 685 fps (up to 800 fps with alloy pellets)
Weight: 5.5 lbs, Length: 36.75 in
Caliber/capacity: .22, single shot, bolt action
Front Sight: Fixed, Rear Sight: Adjustable for windage and elevation

Gets good reviews as a fairly hard hitting, accurate and very reliable air rifle. Since it's multi-pump air, it's less hold sensitive than spring piston guns with their squirrelly bi-directional recoil.

Knocks against it: heavy 5 1/2 lb trigger pull (an aftermarket replacement sear is available), open sights are fairly crude (again there's an aftermarket solution to this), and the pumping effort gets pretty high if you hope to achieve those max FPS figures.

The receiver/barrel is drilled/tapped for a scope mount, but doesn't have the 3/8"/11mm dovetails that you see in a lot of air guns. I've also read that mounting a traditional scope near the back of the gun makes holding it while pumping awkward. Users suggest mounting a long eye relief optic like a pistol scope farther forward, which makes pumping much easier.
Last edited by majorhavoc on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Other Weapons”