Lets Talk: Air Rifles!

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Lets Talk: Air Rifles!

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:52 pm

A bit of a non-sequitur, but I'll give this air rifle thread a boost whenever I can. I've had this camped out in my cart for months now, just waiting to pair it with a good deal on a .25 cal Benjamin Marauder or other high value PCP air rifle.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/High-Pressur ... 3=&veh=sem

I don't actually fancy the idea of hand pumping a PCP reservoir up to 2,000 or 3,000 psi, but in my mind the rifle/hand pump combo is a must have for long-term grid down needs. This pump is the highest value, decent quality unit I've thus far identified.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:09 pm

majorhavoc wrote:A bit of a non-sequitur, but I'll give this air rifle thread a boost whenever I can. I've had this camped out in my cart for months now, just waiting to pair it with a good deal on a .25 cal Benjamin Marauder or other high value PCP air rifle.

I don't actually fancy the idea of hand pumping a PCP reservoir up to 2,000 or 3,000 psi, but in my mind the rifle/hand pump combo is a must have for long-term grid down needs. This pump is the highest value, decent quality unit I've thus far identified.

Eek that would not be fun. I wonder if there's a different method. I mean it would probably take an hour or so of pumping. But you'd get like 5 shots? I mean 25cal is big enough to take some pdecwnt size game. Just don't miss.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:34 pm

I'm talking the apocalypse. Refills at your local scuba center are going to be hard to come by.

It's not supposed to be easy. That's why they call it the "apocalypse". :lol:

FYI: we had a cold snap here in New England the week after Christmas. Daytime highs struggled for a week to get into the single digits. Two mornings, one of my car tires was flat, completely flat - no joke. I had to pump it up using a bicycle floor pump. Do you have any idea how hard it is to pump up a flat automotive tire with a bicycle pump? One of the mornings I gave up counting after 500 strokes. I conservatively estimate it was over a thousand before I could head off to work.

I actually think with the Marauder it's more like 12 to 15 shots per charge, but yeah, I get the idea. I definitely get the idea.

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Post by doitnstyle1 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:19 am

Halfapint wrote:
majorhavoc wrote:A bit of a non-sequitur, but I'll give this air rifle thread a boost whenever I can. I've had this camped out in my cart for months now, just waiting to pair it with a good deal on a .25 cal Benjamin Marauder or other high value PCP air rifle.

Eek that would not be fun. I wonder if there's a different method. I mean it would probably take an hour or so of pumping. But you'd get like 5 shots? I mean 25cal is big enough to take some pdecwnt size game. Just don't miss.
It actually is not that bad. Once you have it initially pumped up you only pump it up when it drops to about 2000 PSI. So in reality you only have to pump about 50 to 70 times depending on the rifle. I did find out that the Air venturi pump is much better than my off name brand pump. It seems to work much easier than my other pump. I just pumped up shotgun and it took me initially about an hour. I got 5 full power shots out of it and it took me 5 minutes of pumping to fill it back up. i would not recommend with such few shots to continue to use the pump only. A scuba tank will do real nice for practice shooting. Or you can use the hand pump and build up your arm strength for the apocalypse. :wink:

If you are able to use this to hunt in your state, if you really think about it how many shots do you really need while hunting?
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by doitnstyle1 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:21 am

Just took my SCUBA tank to be hydro tested and to get both my SCUBA and my 90 ci carbon fiber pony tank filled. I should get plenty of range time without tiring myself out. The pony tank came with it's own fill attachment and the I bought the fill adapter for the SCUBA tank separately at a thrift store. Should be done and tested by next week.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by doitnstyle1 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:22 am

Just took my SCUBA tank to be hydro tested and to get both my SCUBA and my 90 ci carbon fiber pony tank filled. I should get plenty of range time without tiring myself out. The pony tank came with it's own fill attachment and the I bought the fill adapter for the SCUBA tank separately at a thrift store. Should be done and tested by next week. It costs me $15 per fill. Not bad for saving a lot of trouble at the range. I have a spare steel tank that came with the purchase of the SCUBA all for $25. Couldn't beat the price.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:11 am

doitnstyle1 wrote:Just took my SCUBA tank to be hydro tested and to get both my SCUBA and my 90 ci carbon fiber pony tank filled. I should get plenty of range time without tiring myself out. The pony tank came with it's own fill attachment and the I bought the fill adapter for the SCUBA tank separately at a thrift store. Should be done and tested by next week. It costs me $15 per fill. Not bad for saving a lot of trouble at the range. I have a spare steel tank that came with the purchase of the SCUBA all for $25. Couldn't beat the price.
$25 for a tank and adapter? That sounds like a terrific deal. What are the approximate normal prices for those two components?

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by doitnstyle1 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:58 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
doitnstyle1 wrote:Just took my SCUBA tank to be hydro tested and to get both my SCUBA and my 90 ci carbon fiber pony tank filled. I should get plenty of range time without tiring myself out. The pony tank came with it's own fill attachment and the I bought the fill adapter for the SCUBA tank separately at a thrift store. Should be done and tested by next week. It costs me $15 per fill. Not bad for saving a lot of trouble at the range. I have a spare steel tank that came with the purchase of the SCUBA all for $25. Couldn't beat the price.
$25 for a tank and adapter? That sounds like a terrific deal. What are the approximate normal prices for those two components?
You can find the tank for about $150 and the adapter is about another $75. I got them both used. The tanks needed a hydro so that was another $50 but it would be good for 5 Years? I got the aluminum tank and the Steel tank for $25. My small Air venturi tank cost me a pretty penny but I went and financed it in hopes to pay it off in a couple of months.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:10 pm

Man, I wish I would have thought about it years ago. I used to see the carbon fiber airtanks come through work all the time. I could have had like 20 by now. would have been perfect for these air rifles. Oh well......
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:46 pm

Crosman’s New Full Auto DPMS SBR

Crosman Corporation announced a new full auto air rifle that is based on the DPMS PDW design. Yes – full auto fire in your backyard for less money than a tax stamp would cost on the transfer of a full auto firearm.

The Crosman DMPS SBR has a rate of fire of 1,400 rounds per minute. Assuming you could keep it fed, you would zip through a 6,000 count bottle of Copperhead BBs in less than 5 minutes. As it is, the gun feeds from a 30-round magazine.

Air power comes from a pair of 12 gram CO2 cartridges. These are contained in the magazine as well.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:52 pm

SHOT Show 2018 Umarex .50cal Hammer Air Rifle

Umarex is coming out with a .50cal air rifle called the Hammer. Yes .50cal. There is an assortment of projectiles this air rifle can shoot, ranging from 550gr all the way down to 200gr projectiles. They told me they have used .50 beowulf bullets as well as the ARX Ammo. To give you an idea of this air rifle’s ability, the 550gr moves at about 700 fps while the 200gr projectile screams out at 1150 fps. Pretty respectable and usable for hunting....

....The barrel is similar to a .50BMG barrel with a 1:15 twist, .510 grooves and .504 bore. You can hit targets out to 300 yards but accuracy is 2″ at 100 yards so it is not quite MOA

The Hammer will retail for $749 but expect it to be around $699. I did ask how loud it is since I was unable to shoot it at the time. It is not that loud and while they haven’t explored suppressing it, it should be even quieter.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:16 pm

As a gift to a good friend of mine, I took an Umarex C96 Mauser broomhandle and converted it into a frighteningly realistic, all-metal Han Solo blaster.

What I never told him was that the donor weapon was a full auto BB gun and that with some careful metal work, I was able to add all the sci-fi accouterments while retaining full functionality. I didn't tell him because his wife would f*ing kill me. I kept the box magazine with the CO2 reservoir because it ruins the movie prop look. One of these days, though, I'm going to bring that magazine over along with some CO2 powerlets and bbs so we can shred some tin cans and save the galaxy.

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by doitnstyle1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:45 am

RickOShea wrote:SHOT Show 2018 Umarex .50cal Hammer Air Rifle

Umarex is coming out with a .50cal air rifle called the Hammer. Yes .50cal. There is an assortment of projectiles this air rifle can shoot, ranging from 550gr all the way down to 200gr projectiles. They told me they have used .50 beowulf bullets as well as the ARX Ammo. To give you an idea of this air rifle’s ability, the 550gr moves at about 700 fps while the 200gr projectile screams out at 1150 fps. Pretty respectable and usable for hunting....

....The barrel is similar to a .50BMG barrel with a 1:15 twist, .510 grooves and .504 bore. You can hit targets out to 300 yards but accuracy is 2″ at 100 yards so it is not quite MOA

The Hammer will retail for $749 but expect it to be around $699. I did ask how loud it is since I was unable to shoot it at the time. It is not that loud and while they haven’t explored suppressing it, it should be even quieter.

Yeah I saw this a couple of months ago but the shotgun was on my list before that. I may eventually pick up a Hammer but I will wait. I have other things on my priority list. As it stands I can drop a buffalo with either rifle I have right now

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:06 am

majorhavoc wrote:As a gift to a good friend of mine, I took an Umarex C96 Mauser broomhandle and converted it into a frighteningly realistic, all-metal Han Solo blaster.

What I never told him was that the donor weapon was a full auto BB gun and that with some careful metal work, I was able to add all the sci-fi accouterments while retaining full functionality. I didn't tell him because his wife would f*ing kill me. I kept the box magazine with the CO2 reservoir because it ruins the movie prop look. One of these days, though, I'm going to bring that magazine over along with some CO2 powerlets and bbs so we can shred some tin cans and save the galaxy.

So cool. Almost all the blasters in Starwars are steam punked version of real guns.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:11 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
majorhavoc wrote:As a gift to a good friend of mine, I took an Umarex C96 Mauser broomhandle and converted it into a frighteningly realistic, all-metal Han Solo blaster.

So cool. Almost all the blasters in Starwars are steam punked version of real guns.
Pardon me if I've already posted this here, but I searched and couldn't find it. Here's the one I made:

It's technically about 5/8" too long. Without boring everyone with the details, leaving that extra length was one of the things I had to do in order to preserve its BB-firing functionality. The scope is all wrong, but the movie-accurate one is a WWII era German scope that is highly coveted now by replica makers. Whenever one pops up on eBay, there's a bidding frenzy and they sell for hundreds and hundreds of dollars. I substituted an inexpensive vintage scope that is all metal with some nice brass accents. It also is too long, but happily that extra length kind of complements the weapon's slightly elongated proportions. This thing is a beast to hold one-handed at arm's length. Now I know why Harrison Ford usually had Han Solo shooting from the hip.

Apologies also for the picture quality. The gift recipient actually took this picture to post on Facebook.
Last edited by majorhavoc on Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:30 pm

majorhavoc wrote: This thing is a beast to hold one-handed at arm's length. Now I know why Harrison Ford usually had Han Solo shooting from the hip.
Impressive work. This comment reminds me of the scene IIRC where Han is running up the ramp of the Falcon firing at the StormTroopers, and he's 'snap wristing' his shots. [It looks like its sounds, face palm. Not cool] View here >> https://youtu.be/vNoCDvJpmPU?t=56s

If you got a leather worker to reproduce that cool low slung holster and that would finish it. Ideally you'd have to get a scope with a pistol length eye relief correct?

They had some parallax issues with side or offset mounted scopes like that, Enfield 303 for example. To allow for fixed mag clip loading from the top. But in the Long Long Far Far, they probably solved that issue. Detachable mags solved it here on this planet.

I didn't read the books on the props but for some reason I'm recalling that its not a scope on the DL-44 its some sort of rangefinder or sensor. You still aim using the iron sites. Everything has to have a backstory even in 1977.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:18 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
majorhavoc wrote: This thing is a beast to hold one-handed at arm's length. Now I know why Harrison Ford usually had Han Solo shooting from the hip.
MacWa77ace wrote:Ideally you'd have to get a scope with a pistol length eye relief correct?
Yeah a long eye relief scope would be necessary in order for it to be functional. The scope I went with is an old rifle scope, but IIRC, so was the German scope they used for the movie prop. I looked into vintage pistol scopes, but they were too pricey and the tube diameters weren't compatible with that slick offset scope mount I had. In my opinion, it's the scope mount and the flash hider that really nail the look and feel of the Han Solo blaster.
MacWa77ace wrote:They had some parallax issues with side or offset mounted scopes like that, Enfield 303 for example. To allow for fixed mag clip loading from the top. But in the Long Long Far Far, they probably solved that issue.
I'm right handed and was surprised how workable the (wrong) side mounted sight arrangement was when holding the blaster at arms length. Sight it in a few times and it feels completely natural. Except of course for the horrendous balance and eye relief issue.
MacWa77ace wrote: DL-44 its some sort of rangefinder or sensor. You still aim using the iron sites. Everything has to have a backstory even in 1977.
The front post sight on the Umarex replica had to be sacrificed, but I did retain the fairly historically accurate rear sight, adjustable for elevation out to something like 700 yards. Preposterous for the 9mm cartridge the Mauser fired, doubly so for an energy based sci-fi weapon,. Because of course "laser bolts" don't follow a ballistic trajectory. But again, the movie prop also had that same adjustable rear sight because it was built off of a real Mauser.

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:41 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
MacWa77ace wrote: DL-44 its some sort of rangefinder or sensor. You still aim using the iron sites. Everything has to have a backstory even in 1977.
The front post sight on the Umarex replica had to be sacrificed, but I did retain the fairly historically accurate rear sight, adjustable for elevation out to something like 700 yards. Preposterous for the 9mm cartridge the Mauser fired, doubly so for an energy based sci-fi weapon,. Because of course "laser bolts" don't follow a ballistic trajectory. But again, the movie prop also had that same adjustable rear sight because it was built off of a real Mauser.
That scope mount looks exact. What is that aesthetic attached to the front of the mag well you used.

I didn't know that about the Mauser pistol's rear sight, that's crazy, 700yd adj.

Well supposedly the laser blasts had a range also though, so while there were no ballistics unless they were near a heavy gravity source, the energy bled off. And each type of blaster had its set range. That jawa blaster was only good for super close range for instance. And of course some could be set for stun.

Wow, its to bad that the only real functioning part of my brain these days is the stupid fact lobe. :lol:

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:29 pm

MacWa77ace wrote: What is that aesthetic attached to the front of the mag well you used.
It's the only piece of plastic I added to the gun. It's one half of a cylinder head to a plastic model aircraft engine.

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by doitnstyle1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:30 pm

If you want an awesome pistol try this:

http://www.inovairtech.com/MACP_REVOLVER_s/1867.htm

Inovairtech also has an amazing Rifle system that looks pretty bad a**. The cartyridge system provides a steady shot group as the cartridges hold enough pressure for one shot. Shoot and replace. they have a three shot bolt action model.

http://www.inovairtech.com/Videos_s/1856.htm

I may want only the pistol though. at 40 ftlbs it would make it the most powerful air pistol on the market.

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by doitnstyle1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:57 pm

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:58 pm

Saw this earlier, I really REALLY like the idea. I know pump PCP air guns are nothing new. But one that checks off all these different boxes is pretty good and coming in under $400 (while still a big high in my book) is pretty cool. I also would prefer like a 25cal not just 177 and 22.

Yeah yeah, I tried find a non YT link, but damn it it's so hard to find a lot of these vids on anything BUT yt :(

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:49 pm

Halfapint wrote:Saw this earlier, I really REALLY like the idea. I know pump PCP air guns are nothing new. But one that checks off all these different boxes is pretty good and coming in under $400 (while still a big high in my book) is pretty cool. I also would prefer like a 25cal not just 177 and 22.
When you factor in the cost of a decent PCP hand pump, sub $400 sounds pretty damn good to me for a multi-shot PCP rifle. Assuming it's a decent shooter of course. Agree .25 cal would potentially take this one up to eleven.

No apologies needed for linking a YT video in my book. Yes, I'm also mad at them for you-and-I-both-know-why. But I have far too many varied interests to boycott the whole damn platform. Too many good non-firearm related content producers for me to ever give up YT.

It warms the cockles of my heart (whatever the hell heart cockles are) whenever I see a new post to this air rifle thread. :clap:

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by doitnstyle1 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:30 am

Halfapint wrote:

i'm not sure about the Marauder and how many shots you can take. I do know that the Hatsan Bt-65 will get you about 16 on a full reservoir before losing accuracy. It takes about 75 pumps to fill my Hatsan from 1500 psi. One thing I recommend is to put on a little weight if you dont have it or wear a rucksack while doing this. This is not like arm pumping. I am a heavy guy (290 lbs) I have some hefty arms and getting this to compress when you are close to 3000 is tough and you to put some a$$ into it.

Return to “Other Weapons”