Lets Talk: Air Rifles!

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
MacWa77ace
* * * * *
Posts: 1764
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:39 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.
Location: South East Florida
Contact:

Re: Lets Talk Air Rifles!

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:17 pm

Can you say, 'balaclava'?

Get a cool one though.

This
Image

Not this.

Image

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 6831
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: Lets Talk Air Rifles!

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:10 pm

Amateurs.

Image

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6527
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Lets Talk Air Rifles!

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:09 pm

Honestly, I'd be more afraid of the guy wearing the Mickey Mouse or Stay Puffed Marshmallow Man balaclava than anyone wearing the other one. :lol:

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 6831
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: Lets Talk Air Rifles!

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 pm

**Deal Alert**

Pyramydair had the Crosman Benjamin Nitro Piston airgun in either .177 or .22 for $199.99. Coupon code 'CONFIRMED-2015' takes off another 10%.
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_ ... /3533/7087.

Note this is the premium combo package with the upgraded 3-9x40 AO (Adjustable Objective; corrects for parallax errors at all distances) scope. This is budget-but-decent glass from Centerpoint. My sense is it's probably about a $60-$75 optic.

Crosman is offering a $15 rebate on this and select other models, bringing the net price down to $164.99.
http://cdn.pyramydair.com/images/promot ... ollars.pdf

Amazon is currently selling this airgun for $231.55 (with the lower grade 3-9x32 non-AO scope) and the only applicable discount would be the $15 Crosman rebate.
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I ... 1_1&sr=8-1

Not what I'd call a super smoking deal, but if you're thinking of picking up one in the near future, I think this might be the lowest current price. And that adjustable objective optic is a significant upgrade.

FYI: I've done business with Pyramydair; they're a quality vendor.

Image

User avatar
doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1091
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:16 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark
Location: Western Slope, Colorado

Re: Lets Talk Air Rifles!

Post by doitnstyle1 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:50 pm

FYI: I've done business with Pyramydair; they're a quality vendor.
I agree with this statement. I have purchased all my air rifles from them. If you save their bullseye bucks you can get additional gift cards to get deals.

I figure if I keep buying ammo from them I can get quite a bit of discount in the end.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

Image

User avatar
doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1091
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:16 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark
Location: Western Slope, Colorado

Re: Lets Talk Air Rifles!

Post by doitnstyle1 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:21 pm

So I fixed the problem of the cold tank on my face. I bought a beer koozie that fits the tank very nicely and does not interfere with the sight picture.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

Image

User avatar
MacWa77ace
* * * * *
Posts: 1764
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:39 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.
Location: South East Florida
Contact:

Re: Lets Talk Air Rifles!

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:11 am

doitnstyle1 wrote:So I fixed the problem of the cold tank on my face. I bought a beer koozie that fits the tank very nicely and does not interfere with the sight picture.
The mind boggles:
Image

I wonder if something like this would fit. It does double duty, protects your face from the cold and holds stuff. But its made for a standard rifle stock.

Image

User avatar
doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1091
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:16 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark
Location: Western Slope, Colorado

Re: Lets Talk Air Rifles!

Post by doitnstyle1 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:59 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
doitnstyle1 wrote:So I fixed the problem of the cold tank on my face. I bought a beer koozie that fits the tank very nicely and does not interfere with the sight picture.
The mind boggles:
Image

I think that would interfere with my sight picture. Not that I would complain though.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

Image

User avatar
doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1091
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:16 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark
Location: Western Slope, Colorado

Re: Lets Talk Air Rifles!

Post by doitnstyle1 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:19 am

I just ordered my .22 barrel so I'll have to put it on and do a test. I guess I have to also zero the thing. I wish it was a tad warmer to do the testing.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

Image

User avatar
Svothe
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 492
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:52 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK

Re: Lets Talk Air Rifles!

Post by Svothe » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:47 pm

UK chap here so over here Air Rifles are very much the most common type of rifle we have. Far exceeding the number of shotguns or 'Proper Rifles' in the country. Personally I wouldn't touch a break barrel Air gun of any type. Generally the break barrel will lose accuracy over time the more its used and the whole mechanism will get looser and looser. If people can't stretch financially to a PCP airgun which really are fantastic for small game then you should be looking at an Under-lever air rifle. That way you can cock it and load it without ever being in the situation where your actual barrel is broken and you know short of bangs or knocks your barrel and butt are always going to be lined up. I just don't like the idea of breaking the barrel knowing each time I'm doing it I may well be making the weapon less and less accurate. Im a big fan of .177 over .22 for any game shooting. .177 I find .177 is much better over any given range and has plenty of power to stop small and furry things dead. A .22 airgun isn't going to fair any better than a .177 on any game that is 'killable' with an airgun.

Personally I have a Weihauch HW97K which is accurate enough for small game out to about 50yds and has plenty of punch (12Ft/lbs which is the legal limit over here) and does just about everything you could ever ask of an air weapon.
Image

User avatar
doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1091
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:16 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark
Location: Western Slope, Colorado

Re: Lets Talk Air Rifles!

Post by doitnstyle1 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:43 am

I just got my .22 barrel and installed it. It was quite quick. I also go my pellet holder that fits and acts like a comb pad to rest my cheek. I think I'm going to take it out to the range tomorrow and zero and test it all out. I will send pics.

I think since it is my birthday this week I'm going to go out and order the cheaper .22 Gamo Viper Express Nitro Piston. Still considering on whether to get the .50 cal wingshot when I get my tax return.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

Image

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 6831
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: Lets Talk Air Rifles!

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:23 pm

*** Deal Alert ***

Crosman CenterPoint 3x32 Compact Riflescope $19.99 at Cabelas. Ship to store is always a free option if you happen to have one nearby.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/bargain- ... T.tsrc=AFF

No guarantees about the optical quality, but if you're looking for a cheap scope to throw on an airgun, this is about as good a deal as you're likely to find.

30 yard parallax, includes a pair of 1" scope rings. This same scope is currently selling for $52.47 on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Centerpoint-Rifle ... B00CBCQ7C0

Image

User avatar
doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1091
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:16 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark
Location: Western Slope, Colorado

Re: Lets Talk Air Rifles!

Post by doitnstyle1 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:35 pm

I just got my .22 Gamo Viper Express Nitro Piston Conversion from Pyramid Air. Comes with the the original spring after they changed out to the Gas Ram system. Now I only need to go shoot it but since I just got my shoulder surgery a couple of days ago, I will have to wait. :vmad:

It looks like solid construction and lighter than I expected. I will follow up with pics and a report.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

Image

User avatar
doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1091
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:16 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark
Location: Western Slope, Colorado

Re: Lets Talk Air Rifles!

Post by doitnstyle1 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:57 pm

Ok, So no pictures or videos just yet, but I assure you it did happen. I fired the Gamo Air Shotgun.

When I ordered the Nitro-Piston upgrade from Pyramid Air I had the pleasant surprise to find that the company sends the original spring piston assembly along with the rebuilt gun.

The first thing I noticed the gun is pretty light for an air rifle. It is pretty nice to carry around all day if you had to. The cocking effort was extremely light and very smooth compared to other break barrels that I have tried. I am pretty sure I could have cocked the gun even with my bad arm but I didn't want to try it just yet being only 4 days out from surgery.

I figured that the .22 pellets were going to be pretty accurate even for being a smooth bore rifle so I didn't fire it especially being in the city and scared of how loud it might be, so I decided to just fire the shot shells instead for today.

I set up a shoot-n-c target at about 30 feet. When I took my first shot I noticed the grouping tight and to the left. To my grand surprise it was quiet. It was very quiet. I didn't have to worry about neighbors complaining about shots being fired in the back yard. I took a few steps back to about 35 feet and saw that the group spread just enough to cover the target.

We checked the target and it had penetrated the 1" thick corrugated cardboard through and through. It was stood up about 3 inches from a wooden fence. When we checked the fence the BB's were clearly embedded in the fence.

All the documentation I have read stated that if you use No. 7 shot you get a better spread and coverage. I will definitely have to try it next with the reload hack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmlqnyhd ... tml5=False

More to come as I get more time to try it out.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

Image

User avatar
Halfapint
* * * * *
Posts: 3671
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?
Location: Central Cascadia

Re: Lets Talk Air Rifles!

Post by Halfapint » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:40 pm

doitnstyle1 wrote:Ok, So no pictures or videos just yet, but I assure you it did happen. I fired the Gamo Air Shotgun.

When I ordered the Nitro-Piston upgrade from Pyramid Air I had the pleasant surprise to find that the company sends the original spring piston assembly along with the rebuilt gun.

The first thing I noticed the gun is pretty light for an air rifle. It is pretty nice to carry around all day if you had to. The cocking effort was extremely light and very smooth compared to other break barrels that I have tried. I am pretty sure I could have cocked the gun even with my bad arm but I didn't want to try it just yet being only 4 days out from surgery.

I figured that the .22 pellets were going to be pretty accurate even for being a smooth bore rifle so I didn't fire it especially being in the city and scared of how loud it might be, so I decided to just fire the shot shells instead for today.

I set up a shoot-n-c target at about 30 feet. When I took my first shot I noticed the grouping tight and to the left. To my grand surprise it was quiet. It was very quiet. I didn't have to worry about neighbors complaining about shots being fired in the back yard. I took a few steps back to about 35 feet and saw that the group spread just enough to cover the target.

We checked the target and it had penetrated the 1" thick corrugated cardboard through and through. It was stood up about 3 inches from a wooden fence. When we checked the fence the BB's were clearly embedded in the fence.

All the documentation I have read stated that if you use No. 7 shot you get a better spread and coverage. I will definitely have to try it next with the reload hack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmlqnyhd ... tml5=False

More to come as I get more time to try it out.
Awesome! I saw one of those on amazons but thought it was gimmicky. May have to check it out and see how it does could be a pretty good tool!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

User avatar
doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1091
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:16 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark
Location: Western Slope, Colorado

Re: Lets Talk Air Rifles!

Post by doitnstyle1 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:01 am

The shotgun design doesn't have great range but it is good enough and quiet enough to get small game at a decent range. That doesn't account for duality of the weapon extending the range greatly.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

Image

User avatar
Halfapint
* * * * *
Posts: 3671
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?
Location: Central Cascadia

Re: Lets Talk Air Rifles!

Post by Halfapint » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:27 pm

So, my roomies and I were talking about competition air pistols (Olympic style) and were pricing out some. Mostly looking to see if they were cheap enough to throw some cash at them. A good quality, semi cheap model goes for $300, it's pcp, but it can be charged with a bike pump (and a lot faster than a rifle). Got me thinking that at 10m (Olympic range) it could be a good little hunting tool especially if needing to be a bit quitter. Not that any of us are Olympic champions but they are shooting 30 feet and getting shots inside a silver dollar.

Something to ponder.

Also I have not gotten anything larger than the .177 Benjamin I currently have. I did find that those big heavy monster pellets, that I loved so much, I cannot maintain accuracy. I did however get some heavier HP bullets for a project (wish I got the pointed kind now), and they are super accurate.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

User avatar
doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1091
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:16 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark
Location: Western Slope, Colorado

Re: Lets Talk Air Rifles!

Post by doitnstyle1 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:58 pm

Cool. I just ordered the Gamo Whisper Fusion IGT. I am still waiting for the delivery and I can give you some good updates as soon as I can. The weather sucks to go out right now. I am interested in picking up the Ataman AP-16 pistol. It is currently the most powerful repeater and pistol. It is quite unique but it does have a hefty price tag at $998-ish. The nice thing it is holsterable and a very easy cock the hammer and fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=602Hiq_8mnM

This thing shoots at almost 14 fpe. That is pretty amazing.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

Image

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6527
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Lets Talk Air Rifles!

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:58 pm

doitnstyle1 wrote:Cool. I just ordered the Gamo Whisper Fusion IGT. I am still waiting for the delivery and I can give you some good updates as soon as I can. The weather sucks to go out right now. I am interested in picking up the Ataman AP-16 pistol. It is currently the most powerful repeater and pistol. It is quite unique but it does have a hefty price tag at $998-ish. The nice thing it is holsterable and a very easy cock the hammer and fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=602Hiq_8mnM

This thing shoots at almost 14 fpe. That is pretty amazing.
That's pretty neat. Aside from the insane price tag (which seems to be common for high end air guns), it's actually a pretty cool little gun. Looks like someone crossed a spear gun with a 1911 and looks to be more user friendly than most PCP guns.

User avatar
doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1091
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:16 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark
Location: Western Slope, Colorado

Re: Lets Talk Air Rifles!

Post by doitnstyle1 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:00 am

I'm guessing you're taliking about the AP-16. yeah it looks different than a regular pistol but not by much. My Gamo should be arriving by tomorrow and maybe I'll go out Thursday to scope it in. try it by Saturday against rabbits and go out for pig hunting by spring.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

Image

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6527
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Lets Talk Air Rifles!

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:13 pm

doitnstyle1 wrote:I'm guessing you're taliking about the AP-16. yeah it looks different than a regular pistol but not by much. My Gamo should be arriving by tomorrow and maybe I'll go out Thursday to scope it in. try it by Saturday against rabbits and go out for pig hunting by spring.
Yeah, I'm talking about the AP-16. The Gamo guns are on my short list of airguns I want to try out since the last air rifle I purchased was a Crosman BB gun (I forget the model name) for my oldest nephew a year or two back.

Gamo seems to be pretty good for the entry-level airgunner and fairly cheap too.

User avatar
doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1091
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:16 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark
Location: Western Slope, Colorado

Re: Lets Talk Air Rifles!

Post by doitnstyle1 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:18 pm

I just got the Gamo today and it pretty nice. It is very powerful. I will have to try to zero the scope probably on Saturday. It is rather quiet. I will send any applicable videos or pictures.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

Image

User avatar
doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1091
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:16 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark
Location: Western Slope, Colorado

Re: Lets Talk: Air Rifles!

Post by doitnstyle1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:45 pm

It's been a while since I posted something because it's been a while since I was able to afford to buy something new. Just got the Seneca Wingshot II. It is basically a .50 cal smooth bore air rifle that pumps up to 3000 psi and shots proprietary #6 or #8 shot. It also fires a .50 cal round ball up to 300ft/lbs of energy. The shot is good out to 35 yards. It also fires an air bolt wich is a specialized carbon fiber arrow with a rubber sealed "knock"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRP7uDl3d8o&t=232s
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

Image

User avatar
Halfapint
* * * * *
Posts: 3671
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?
Location: Central Cascadia

Re: Lets Talk: Air Rifles!

Post by Halfapint » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:16 pm

doitnstyle1 wrote:It's been a while since I posted something because it's been a while since I was able to afford to buy something new. Just got the Seneca Wingshot II. It is basically a .50 cal smooth bore air rifle that pumps up to 3000 psi and shots proprietary #6 or #8 shot. It also fires a .50 cal round ball up to 300ft/lbs of energy. The shot is good out to 35 yards. It also fires an air bolt wich is a specialized carbon fiber arrow with a rubber sealed "knock"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRP7uDl3d8o&t=232s
That's fucking awesome! I'll be getting more into air rifles soon! But that is pretty cool!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Post Reply

Return to “Other Weapons”