It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:36 am 

I've been shown this thread by Major Havoc as I've discussed air rifles in another thread.

As you can see I'm from the UK so air rifles are the only guns you can own without a licence (providing they are under a certain power). Therefore they would be something I would rely heavily on in a SHTF scenario. Hope it's OK but I'll just copy what I put in the other thread below to let you know what I own and what my thoughts on them are.

Thanks..........................

My first and primary air rifle would be my Hammerli Air Magnum 850. www.gunmart.net/gun_review/umarex_hamme ... magnum_850

I really like this gun, it's light and accurate. It's main drawback though is the fact that it uses 88g co2 cartridges. In a long term SHTF scenario these would soon run out. Also it is not as powerful as other air rifles because of this. If I did run out of the 88g cartridges I'd turn to my other air rifle which is this:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ ... ey-vulcan/ (It's very similar to the first rifle down on the page)

This air rifle is about 30 years old. I keep meaning to get the barrel shorted a little and add a silencer. This is a classic and I love it although it's a touch heavy. The main advantage of this over my Hammerli is the is the fact that it is spring loaded, therefore it will never run out of air to run it.

One day I'd love a powerful PCP but need to save up a bit first.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:34 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Not at all! Thanks for your input. You Brits have been doing this much longer than us. I just feel bad that you are very restricted on the power and velocity of your air rifles.

I am currently very happy with my Hatsan and the power it has and I am looking into at least two more rifles maybe three.

The Airforce Talon P .22 http://www.amazon.com/AirForce-TalonP-Pistol-Spin-Loc-pistol/dp/B005KQUKWW

The Gamo Nitro Express .22 shotgun http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Gamo_Viper_Express_Shotgun_Rifle_Nitro_Piston/1782
Which, by the way, if do order one make sure you order the nitro piston and not the spring piston. The spring piston model had a lot of problems and I think it was discontinued.

I also may end up getting the Wingshot http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Air_Venturi_Wing_Shot_Shotgun/3777

I t hink they would all play an very important role in saving ammo, or reducing dependency on it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:08 am 

doitnstyle1 wrote:
Not at all! Thanks for your input. You Brits have been doing this much longer than us. I just feel bad that you are very restricted on the power and velocity of your air rifles.

I am currently very happy with my Hatsan and the power it has and I am looking into at least two more rifles maybe three.

The Airforce Talon P .22 http://www.amazon.com/AirForce-TalonP-Pistol-Spin-Loc-pistol/dp/B005KQUKWW

The Gamo Nitro Express .22 shotgun http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Gamo_Viper_Express_Shotgun_Rifle_Nitro_Piston/1782
Which, by the way, if do order one make sure you order the nitro piston and not the spring piston. The spring piston model had a lot of problems and I think it was discontinued.

I also may end up getting the Wingshot http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Air_Venturi_Wing_Shot_Shotgun/3777

I t hink they would all play an very important role in saving ammo, or reducing dependency on it.

I love those shotgun air rifles, I've not seen those before. Unfortunately something else that isn't available in the UK.

I have been thinking about getting a firearms and shotgun license, however it's quite an expense to have something for "just in case".

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:48 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I tried to buy one of the Gamo air rifles today and they are out of stock at pyramid air. I may wait until next month and just get the Talon P.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:43 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Deal alert!

UTG 3-9x32 Compact CQB Bug Buster AO RGB Scope with Med. Picatinny Rings, 2" Sunshade $63.53, ships free with Amazon Prime.

An Amazon Lightning deal; ends in about an hour. Considered by many to be the best budget scope. Parallax corrected for the shorter ranges of an airgun. Hasn't been this cheap since December 2013.

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-3-9x32-Compact-Picatinny-Sunshade/dp/B005UGIMNQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1446320261&sr=1-1&keywords=utg+bug+buster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:58 pm 

Anyone an Idea about the best zombie killing airgun ?
thinking about a .357 or .25 but not a breaking barrel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:20 am 

If you are thinking of going with a PCP rifle, there is specialty gear you are going to need. I'd advise a bit of research if you have not done it already. Also you are only going to get about 10 shots on average from the tank before the numbers drop like a stone.

Good luck! :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:22 pm 

AIRSOFT p0rn

I'm getting close to the ultimate BF4 loadout on my G36C AEG.

UMAREX G36C AEG
UTG 3X Magnifier w/ flip to side QD mount
UTG 4" 1X30 red/green dot sight
UTG 5 slot, low profile, QD riser
Yahill 2 Point, 2 in 1 Gun Sling
Solarforce L2M light
OFF SET TACTICAL weapon mount
Magpul ladder rail covers.
Tapco stubby VFG

Will probably change the light and light mount to a PEQ style attachment like this.

Image ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:58 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

WooHoo! I just got two scuba tanks for thirty bucks. That means less pumping up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:07 am 

doitnstyle1 wrote:
WooHoo! I just got two scuba tanks for thirty bucks. That means less pumping up.

Nice, if they are aluminum you got more than your money's worth in just the scrap metal IMO.

Did you get the Talon P?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:14 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

**Air Rifle Deal Alert ** (full discounts may be available today - 12/12/15 - only Edit - instant discount and rebate are still live as of 12/14/15, so ETA on expiration is unknown.)

Pretty good deal on the Benjamin Titan NP (Nitro Piston) rifle in .22 caliber.

$134.99 shipped:
http://smile.amazon.com/Benjamin-BW8M22NP-Piston-Hunting-22-Caliber/dp/B005NH9QEG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449950626&sr=8-1&keywords=Benjamin+Titan+GP+Nitro+Piston+Air+Rifle

Wood stock with bundled CenterPoint 4x32 scope and rings. Advantages of a nitro piston over a traditional metal spring are the ability to leave it cocked and no spring fatigue over the life of the rifle.

Plus $20 off special promotion (auto applied at checkout; Note: this appears to be today only):
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/promotions/details/popup/A39T33FAXB2PFV

And a $10 Crosman/Benjamin rebate:
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/00/00/84/40/42/07/8440420790._CB287744948_.pdf

Final price after rebate is $104.99 shipped.

Sale price on the same rifle in .177 caliber is even less at $129.99 before discounts, but for some odd reason $9 shipping applies to that caliber.

Last edited by majorhavoc on Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:39 pm 

I have that same rifle in .177, shoots fantastic

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:36 pm 

tagged

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:29 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

MacWa77ace wrote:
doitnstyle1 wrote:

Nice, if they are aluminum you got more than your money's worth in just the scrap metal IMO.

Did you get the Talon P?

:clap: :D :D :clap: I just ordered it today! I'm really excited. The Talon P was always excluded from sales but Pyramid air had a special. For every $100 gift card you buy you get a $15 gift card by Jan 15. So I purchased $500 worth and bought a ready to shoot set. When I get them I will purchase some accessories to tidy up the gun.

I figured I could sort of put some stuff on lay-away by purchasing a few gift cards every paycheck and pick up some nice stuff over the next year or two.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:40 pm 

I had a Diana 52 in .177 borrowed from a friend here for a few months, it was made in the 80's and I loved this rifle, powerfull, accurate and classic. The side lever and fixed barrel form an interesting system.

I shot a coconut and the heavy pellets went all the way through...

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/f ... directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/H ... directlink

Now that he took it back I'm thinking about getting some gun in the magnum category, but in .22 caliber.

P.S: Somehow I can't use my picasa pictures here anymore. I don't know why, but I had to put the links because the forum wouldn't accept the pictures.

Just a guy who likes Guns, Bows, Blades, Tactical Gear, aircooled VW's, and girls.

My bowie
My small utility knife
My sharp finger knife
My longbow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:01 pm 

BTW, I recently completed my annual ritual viewing of 'A Christmas Story' featuring Darren McGavin, Peter Billingsley, and the Daisy Red Rider BB Gun.

I already owned a couple BB guns by the time I did my bid for the 'Christmas BB gun'. When I was in Middle School I wanted a Crosman 760 and there was resistance from the folk's just like Ralphie. Not because I'd shoot my eye out, probably because I already had two and the cost. But I came up with a plan, and I made it up quick. I submitted a ballistics hypothesis for my science fair project to compare the ballistics characteristics of .177 caliber BB's, Pellets, and Darts. The 760 was the airgun I'd have to use for the project as it would fire all three types of projectile.

Anyhow, it worked, I got my 760. :mrgreen:

Also, I was at Bass Pro Shops the other day returning an unsatisfactory leather sling, so I was also checking out the Benjamin Titan NP (Nitro Piston) rifle in .22 caliber that majorhavoc had issued the Deal Alert for. I'm looking for an NP break barrel but that ambidextrous thumbhole stock makes the stock looks odd to me [the hole is to big] so I was really checking out some of the other models.

The Benjamin Trail NP2 .22 cal Looks about the right specs for me, there is a version with a wood stock w/ ambidextrous thumbhole, meh, but it does come with sling mount studs. Then there was one with a black synthetic stock that looks promising. It was marked NP2 Trial but I think it was the Varmint Powerpak model that isn't as powerful. [At BassPro the boxes aren't near the touch and feel display, just a spec. tag.] It was priced wrong too if it was the VP. The only thing about that one though is there are parts of the polymer that are 'rubberized' which reminded me of that rubber coating that gets sticky for no reason. I've got a knife grip, flashlight, powerdrill, and beard trimmer/groomer that have that stuff, and it gets sticky over time for no reason.

If it is the VP then that ones muzzle velocity is below my required spec of >1000.

Any one have experience with the Benji synthetic stocks? Do they hold up?
I'd prefer hardwood.

Big difference in prices too. Trail NP2 Walmart online $189 [out of stock], Pyramid air online $229, Crosman online $249

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:17 am 

I have the older model and have had no problem with the synthetic stock so far.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:20 am 

The Benji Trial VP is good to go. The synthetic stock is good. Heavier than what you'd find on most budget center fire rifles. Of course it should be weighty on an air rifle. It's very accurate after break in. Initially, mine was a dieseling beast. It calmed down after about a 100 shots. Within 40 yards I'm confident on any target. Squirrel head shots are too easy. The rifle is quiet enough. My neighbors haven't complained. The trigger is harder than I like. I had to take it a part and do some cleaning and polishing and now its almost nice!

I think all the Benji NP break barrels are about the same. I picked mine based on price. Academy had an open box that was missing the light and stuff. I got a heck of a deal. I did replace the scope and rings. The one that came with it was uber shitty.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:22 pm 

Thanks NamelessStain and brothaman, good to know.

brothaman wrote:

I think all the Benji NP break barrels are about the same. I picked mine based on price. Academy had an open box that was missing the light and stuff. I got a heck of a deal. I did replace the scope and rings. The one that came with it was uber shitty.

They have this new version of NitroPiston now called NP2 , which is supposed to be 15% more powerful for the same cocking weight, and a better trigger group than the original NP's, that also caught my eye. And I noticed a big difference in muzzle velocity between the Varminter and Titan, and the Trail versions caliber to caliber.

I agree with your assessment of the combo scopes that come with air rifles. My rule of thumb for optics budget is 90-100% of the rifle's retail value [not net cost due to sales discounts] = success w/ value.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:32 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

It Came! It came! It's finally here! I put it together and it looks and feels as awesome as it looks. I just won't be able to fire it until later though. I think I have the flu and I'm feeling crappy. I think it just arriving made me feel a little better. Now I just want to wait for the $75 in extra gift cards to arrive so I can pick up the .22 barrel, and an adapter.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:36 pm 

doitnstyle1 wrote:
It Came! It came! It's finally here! I put it together and it looks and feels as awesome as it looks.

From Ikea??!? :shock:

Without pictures it didn't happen.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:07 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

The major components are apart in the box and I ordered the stock. So when it all arrived, I had to put it together. It's quite easy too.

Image[/URL]

The tank and stock come apart from the receiver. I just asked about the .22 barrel just to be sure. They said that you can use every barrel except the .177 barrel.

Now I just need to buy a new scope, AR style iron sights, the sling attachments, and the pellet holder. I'll probably be into it for another $250.00. I will try some things out before I spent that much money though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:32 pm 

After a trip to the hobby store, I HAVE TO HAVE ONE!

I knew they were around, I have looked/shopped them online too and couldn't figure out why the prices were so high, but never felt the quality until just now. To understand the difference in pricing.

MilSim quality airSofts. [top to bottom, Krytac, HK, CMG]

The one on the bottom is not MilSim $159 CMG

HK 416 free float quad $350 Not including battery

Krytac Trident AR w/ free float KeyMod rail $329 Not including battery

Of course I'm leaning toward the KeyMod but the HK even has what looks like an authentic A2 metal flash hider [which means you could attach a real suppressor to it if you had one] and upgraded pistol grip. The Krytac's flashhider is poly, and the pistol grip is your basic AR grip. But other that that the entire rifles are metal. Metal Upper, Lower, Buffer, Rail, Gears. They recommend a .28g 6mm BB. [your standard airsoft toy takes a .12g] The charging handle even moves although only about an inch and a half, just enough to unlatch the working dust cover and reveal the 'hop up' adj. [it does not charge or cock anything that I could tell]

The only thing I noticed was that the fire control selector was not as smooth as on my real ARs.

Li-Po batteries range from about $18-$25 for these. I already upgraded my G36 to Li-Po, had to change out the connectors on the gun for that and buy a multi chem charger.

Wow.

Also the handguns were awesome too. Rechargeable gas w/ blowback. Very realistic.

Probably gonna back burner that NitroPiston Break barrel for a while and start researching these more thoroughly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:03 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I did a quick test fire today. Take-aways are:

Almost as loud as a .22 rifle

It is mostly metal build, so when I fired it in cold weather today my face was quite cold

On high power I used a lot more air per shot than I expected

I have to work on sights, chrony and penetration for further testing

I will have to wrap the tank in a sheath to keep it from freezing to my cheek

I will also check performance with a .22 barrel

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next