Bowie chopping vid.

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

maine1
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, land of the dead, 28 days later, 28 weeks later. Original Dawn of the dead...any zombie movie is ok, some are better than others.

Bowie chopping vid.

Post by maine1 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:27 pm

As promised, a bowie chopping vid. part 2 is up as well. Not earth shatering stuff, just puting my money where my mouth is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6afmsrcKOKs

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Re: Bowie chopping vid.

Post by Zimmy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:57 pm

Have you ever had any damage to a knife from chopping?
Boldly going nowhere

maine1
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, land of the dead, 28 days later, 28 weeks later. Original Dawn of the dead...any zombie movie is ok, some are better than others.

Post by maine1 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:18 pm

It happens sometimes, not here of late.

What kind of damage do you mean? I have messed up a few factory knives. I tend to build my blades with this stuff in mind, but shit also happens.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:29 pm

Great vid! I have been looking at getting a knife in the 9-11 inch range for the kind of stuff you showed. I usually just use a hatchet or smaller knife with a baton, but man, there is a siren's call singing to me about those bigger blades.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

mightygary101

Post by mightygary101 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:07 pm

Nice video nice bowie knife too!
Your extrema ratio My Back, My Gun, Your Head.

maine1

Post by maine1 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:12 am

Zimmy wrote:Have you ever had any damage to a knife from chopping?

had an edge ripple a little from a hard-assed beech sapling, but that was a while ago, changed things since then. Minor dings, mostly from hitting rocks while chopping.

Tip of one of the bowies was blunted by 1/16" by throwing.

as long as i am not chopping concrete, I'm OK. With good edge geometry and heat treatment ( temper on the tough side) chopping is OK on a knife with a good tang.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:45 am

maine1 wrote:

had an edge ripple a little from a hard-assed beech sapling, but that was a while ago, changed things since then. Minor dings, mostly from hitting rocks while chopping.

as long as i am not chopping concrete, I'm OK. With good edge geometry and heat treatment ( temper on the tough side) chopping is OK on a knife with a good tang.

Thanks. No hardening in the steel from repeated hammering on the wood? I wondered about that and the handle material coming loose.
Boldly going nowhere

maine1

Post by maine1 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:06 pm

Zimmy wrote:
maine1 wrote:

Thanks. No hardening in the steel from repeated hammering on the wood? I wondered about that and the handle material coming loose.

You mean "work hardening"? No, i have never had a problem with it. Work hardening is usually associated with steel on steel action- that's why the face of a good anvil can't be cut with a file even though it's not hardened via a heat treat method such as a knife goes through. The force in a blow from chopping goes into the wood, and partially into the tang- which is why i harp on tangs so much. Stress CAN build up on any corners or sharp transitions in mass- thus no sawteeth, or sudden transfers in mass on tangs.

Some people think that my tang videos are just me running my gums, but when we are talking a real using knife, its vital, though unseen and often misunderstood.

Loose handles? Not likley. My thru tang handles- all the knives you saw in action were thru tangs, BTW- are nearly all peened construction- the tang is substantial, runs through the grip, through a steel buttplate, and the entire unit is sealed with acraglass, and the tang is peened over the buttcap. While its not all high tech, this method has been used on knives, swords, and other hard use tools since the beginning of the iron age. Some handle wood has developed a bit of checking- but that is due to hornbeam ( my favored wood) is a recalcitrant bitch in the seasoning process. good news is, once it has its initial checking fit, it stays put.

i also test my knife construction by throwing ( I DO NOT recommend this, you WILL mess up your knife!). Nothing will knock a gaurd loose, break a point or blade, or break a handle like throwing will. ALL the knives you have seen have been thrown, some a lot, and survived. again, i don't recommend it, but i do use it as a test.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:59 pm

I've done a good deal of chopping with my 9" kabar bowie, and it really does work pretty well considering the size. I'd say 9" is about the minimum length I feel I would feel comfortable chopping with, anything less and it would be like "hacking" than chopping. The handle shape on mine really lends well to choking down and extending the reach while chopping as well.

Blade heft and balance really make a big difference in bowie sized blades, as well as the "sweet spot".
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

maine1

Post by maine1 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:25 pm

Sworbeyegib wrote:I've done a good deal of chopping with my 9" kabar bowie, and it really does work pretty well considering the size. I'd say 9" is about the minimum length I feel I would feel comfortable chopping with, anything less and it would be like "hacking" than chopping. The handle shape on mine really lends well to choking down and extending the reach while chopping as well.

Blade heft and balance really make a big difference in bowie sized blades, as well as the "sweet spot".

It's kind of funy- i talk bowies with lots of people, some who are convinced that its only a fighting knife, others that its only a camp tool, and one has no use in the other arena.

many think its not worth a shit for anything.

On the "blades" vid, i talk abou how the 9" is the low mark as well, it CVAN work, but its pretty short for a bowie one more inch will not weight significantly more.

Sworbeyegib

Post by Sworbeyegib » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:38 pm

maine1 wrote:
Sworbeyegib wrote:I've done a good deal of chopping with my 9" kabar bowie, and it really does work pretty well considering the size. I'd say 9" is about the minimum length I feel I would feel comfortable chopping with, anything less and it would be like "hacking" than chopping. The handle shape on mine really lends well to choking down and extending the reach while chopping as well.

It's kind of funy- i talk bowies with lots of people, some who are convinced that its only a fighting knife, others that its only a camp tool, and one has no use in the other arena.

many think its not worth a shit for anything.

On the "blades" vid, i talk abou how the 9" is the low mark as well, it CVAN work, but its pretty short for a bowie one more inch will not weight significantly more.
Well, there is definitely a difference in design between a fighting bowie, and a field bowie. I see it as a jack of all trades, master of none if used properly.

The only reason I don't carry mine very much anymore, is because I generally carry a machete (which is best for my location). I don't really see the point in carrying both a large bowie and a machete, so I usually pair it with something smaller. Unless of course I'm going somewhere where I know I'll be needing to do heavy batoning/splitting, and don't want to carry an axe.

maine1

Post by maine1 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:14 pm

an 80/20 fits the bill just fine.

master of none? There is no better fighter than a good bowie fighter.

A "feild bowie" that is too heavy or unweildy to fight with efficently...ain't a bowie, IMO.

Not trying to start a debate or pissing contest, but Sword, ever used a good bowie? - i mean out side of a production knife? Changes the game quite a bit. i used to think the same way.

sure, you can breed a knife one directuion or the other- i am making a friend his dream bowie a "trailmaster on steroids" is what he wants, not a fighter, he wants a woods/survival bowie for th apacalypse. now THAT bowie will not be as swift a backcut machne as my others, but IF one were to try it( if one had the hand stength) and connect...well, it would be a damaging blow, to say the least.

Sworbeyegib

Post by Sworbeyegib » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:42 pm

maine1 wrote:an 80/20 fits the bill just fine.

A "feild bowie" that is too heavy or unweildy to fight with efficently...ain't a bowie, IMO.

Not trying to start a debate or pissing contest, but Sword, ever used a good bowie? - i mean out side of a production knife? Changes the game quite a bit. i used to think the same way.

sure, you can breed a knife one directuion or the other- i am making a friend his dream bowie a "trailmaster on steroids" is what he wants, not a fighter, he wants a woods/survival bowie for th apacalypse. now THAT bowie will not be as swift a backcut machne as my others, but IF one were to try it( if one had the hand stength) and connect...well, it would be a damaging blow, to say the least.
For it's size, it sure is. But personally, in the way that I have trained off and on over the years, I prefer a bit more length if I can get it. But that's just because I come from a FMA background. It translates well to a bowie, but I like being able to control distance a little bit better. But that's all a software vs hardware argument.

I've currently been putting a Cold Steel smatchet thru the paces. It's thinness is made up for by it's added reach and broad blade, and the point and false edge is pretty nasty. I still consider that on the shorter end of the spectrum of what I am used to using.

maine1

Post by maine1 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:22 pm

Sworbeyegib wrote:
maine1 wrote:an 80/20 fits the bill just fine.

For it's size, it sure is. But personally, in the way that I have trained off and on over the years, I prefer a bit more length if I can get it. But that's just because I come from a FMA background. It translates well to a bowie, but I like being able to control distance a little bit better. But that's all a software vs hardware argument.

FMA does translate well to bowie, and bowies tend to do well at FMA, but you are right, they lack a bit of length compared to a barong.

I've currently been putting a Cold Steel smatchet thru the paces. It's thinness is made up for by it's added reach and broad blade, and the point and false edge is pretty nasty. I still consider that on the shorter end of the spectrum of what I am used to using.

I hear ya- familiarity is a superior thing in itself.

Return to “Other Weapons”