Halfapints Boomerang Page

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Halfapints Boomerang Page

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:41 am

Halfapint wrote:
drop bear wrote:Isn't it angled on opposite sides?

Anyway some hunting. You would want to be a good shot.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9DDHxOqFkAs
I am unsure what you mean by "angled on opposite sides?" Great video yes aim must be awesome.
Okay so the basic concept is that each "wing" needs to be generating lift, so a flat or slightly concave underside, and a curved top. What makes it return, if I remember my physics, is that one "wing" is moving faster than the other at all times, which generates the curve. There's some cool MIT videos on the subject.

Don't get caught up on the popular two-wing design. They're like competition frisbees, pretty cool, but not as useful for taking a roo on the leg as a three or four-wing design. There's also a trick to throwing them to return. Much easier to just craft a spinning thumping stick of doom.

Also remember to make it a bit lopsided.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:22 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote: Okay so the basic concept is that each "wing" needs to be generating lift, so a flat or slightly concave underside, and a curved top. What makes it return, if I remember my physics, is that one "wing" is moving faster than the other at all times, which generates the curve. There's some cool MIT videos on the subject.

Don't get caught up on the popular two-wing design. They're like competition frisbees, pretty cool, but not as useful for taking a roo on the leg as a three or four-wing design. There's also a trick to throwing them to return. Much easier to just craft a spinning thumping stick of doom.

Also remember to make it a bit lopsided.
Yes that's pretty well spot on when it comes to how the rang comes back. I've thrown lots of different types of rangs and I just don't like the 4 winged type. They do come back a lot easier and are a lot more forgiving. But with more wings the shorter their loop is. So the closer you will have to get to the pray. That's why I am sticking with the two wing design is that they take long sweeping loops.

There are many different throwing styles, each makes the rang do something different. The most common is throwing the rang at a 45* angle. This will get it to start it's loop earlier and gives you the best chance for it to come full around and back to you.

And thanks for the heads up on the MIT videos I may search them out and try to learn a little more. I'm going to head to Home Depot today and see about more plywood.

Lastly I'd like to thank every one for their inputs, ideas, and suggestions. I was worried that people would think I'm a bit crazy. It's not like I'm on a site that's prepping for zombies or something.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:32 am

"Crazy" he said. Man, i watched soem skilled throwers taking out clay pigeons and wooden mock kangaroos with them. Four guys throwing seven 'rangs each into a "flock" of clays. Devastating.

Crazy would be if you starting putting blades on them and launching them from slingbows.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:02 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:"Crazy" he said. Man, i watched soem skilled throwers taking out clay pigeons and wooden mock kangaroos with them. Four guys throwing seven 'rangs each into a "flock" of clays. Devastating.

Crazy would be if you starting putting blades on them and launching them from slingbows.
Where's Joerg??? I think we have his next project :D
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:50 pm

Honestly, there aren't quite enough mad max references on this forum. I blame this shortcoming on myself.
There's already a boomerang version of Joerg on youtube I believe. He was probably grown from the same genetic material as Darts Joerg, Javelin Joerg, Shotput Joerg and Slingshot Joerg (or Joerg Classic as he is affectionately referred).

maine1
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, land of the dead, 28 days later, 28 weeks later. Original Dawn of the dead...any zombie movie is ok, some are better than others.

Post by maine1 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:45 pm

Back in the stone age, when i was in Jr high, i read a book titled" many happy returns" about boomerangs and it had a good chapter on how to make them. Its a great book, i recomend it.

Also, for a better 'rang, get a large plank of hardwood, say 2" thick, and 24" long, and steam it for several few hours, then bend it, and use a few boards to tack it into the curve. leave it like that for a few weeks to dry, then cut off say a 1" "slice" to make your 'rang out of. You could also steam bend a hardwood sapling with nice straight grain and no knots to the curve you want. Hunting booms are made liek this when a natural curve is not available.

REAL hunting boomerangs are no joke. Brits had some respect for the aborigines use of these- 3-4" deep wounds (read clefts) to soft body parts, broken bones, headshot= death, generally. range in skilled hands to a few hundred yards.

Kind of like slinging, the weapons are still here, but modern life "prevents" skills like this, generally.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:52 am

maine1 wrote:Back in the stone age, when i was in Jr high, i read a book titled" many happy returns" about boomerangs and it had a good chapter on how to make them. Its a great book, i recomend it.

Also, for a better 'rang, get a large plank of hardwood, say 2" thick, and 24" long, and steam it for several few hours, then bend it, and use a few boards to tack it into the curve. leave it like that for a few weeks to dry, then cut off say a 1" "slice" to make your 'rang out of. You could also steam bend a hardwood sapling with nice straight grain and no knots to the curve you want. Hunting booms are made liek this when a natural curve is not available.

REAL hunting boomerangs are no joke. Brits had some respect for the aborigines use of these- 3-4" deep wounds (read clefts) to soft body parts, broken bones, headshot= death, generally. range in skilled hands to a few hundred yards.

Kind of like slinging, the weapons are still here, but modern life "prevents" skills like this, generally.
This is one of the reasons why I like them. I haven't used any hardwood yet. I still want to work on designs. That's why I'm looking at plywood for now. If I find a good design I'm thinking of bending some maple, and using professional equipment.

I haven't read the book I might pick it up if I can find it.

maine1
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, land of the dead, 28 days later, 28 weeks later. Original Dawn of the dead...any zombie movie is ok, some are better than others.

Post by maine1 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:12 am

its available on Amazon- after posting i had to go look, its one i want for my son.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:05 am

Would homebrew micarta work with the lateral forces?

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:47 am

You'll put your eye out
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:12 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Would homebrew micarta work with the lateral forces?
Hadn't even thought about it. That might actually work. Might make a run to the thrift store later this week and get some denim. It's gotta be strong enough. Just need lots of jeans......

dallas

Post by dallas » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:30 am

Return to “Other Weapons”