Frankish Axe from Museum Replicas?

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Dexion1619

Frankish Axe from Museum Replicas?

Post by Dexion1619 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:06 pm

So the Deal of the Day @ Museum Replica's is a Frankish Throwing Axe (Normally $45, on sale for $25). I'm in the market for a hatchet, and for $25 I'm thinking of rolling the dice (I'm guessing its going to need some sharpening, but I have the tools for that, and I like the look of this). 4

Any experience with these? I found a few threads about the Cold Steel trail hawk, but I like the look of the Frankish a bit more.
Dude, is that a turkey or a dinosaur?!?!

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Re: Frankish Axe from Museum Replicas?

Post by Jeriah » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:31 am

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-554-frankish-axe.aspx

The francisca (Frankish throwing axe) was a particularly nice throwing axe design. Unfortunately, the Museum Replicas/Windlass Steelcrafts replica omits one of the best features of the original: the oblique angle between the head and shaft. Check out this $60 model from Jas Townsend and Sons, which has this feature:

http://jas-townsend.com/french-throwing-p-63.html

However, neither is a hatchet. These are throwing axes, and are good for that, but suck balls for chopping wood, I suspect. If you need a hatchet, I suggest:

First choice, a Granfors Light Forest Axe, or a shorter handle model if you must
Second choice, a Gerber Sport Axe
Third choice, a hardware store axe of whatever brand

The Cold Steel trail hawk looks nice but I have no experience with it.

Nick Adams

Post by Nick Adams » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:49 am

Looks like it is probably a cast head and not forged steel so probably will not take and keep an edge. Looks like it might be a good axe for people that want to pretend to be Vikings or what ever.

A better choice for a tool that you are going to use is probably an old camp hatchet or carpenter hatchet, look for a plumb, Collins, Kelly, etc. Should be easy to pick one up for around $5 at your local flea market or auction.
The older Estwings would be a good choice too, most of the nice ones I see are priced at around $10

Dexion1619

Post by Dexion1619 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:50 am

Should have mentioned that I do have an Eastwing Camp Axe for heavier duty stuff around camp, I was looking for something a bit smaller for carrying in the woods while hiking. I'll look into the ones you guys mentioned. After looking at amazon a bit, it seems like the sale price is actually more in line with what the normal price should be.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:47 pm

I tend not to carry a hatchet when hiking, because I don't end up using it, and don't like the weight, bulk, and hassle. But I do have a Gerber Sport Axe that is very light and keeps a good edge (though is so hard it is prone to chipping if you hit a nail etc.) and that would be my recommendation for your role. The Granfors will be way over budget. The Cold Steel Trail Hawk could be a good option as well.

Dexion1619

Post by Dexion1619 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:22 pm

A few of the cabins that we over-night at have wood stoves, and I have found that processing wood of sufficient size to use with the stoves using just my knife is a bit of a pain, so I thought I would give a small/light hatchet a try. Thanks for the advise!

Return to “Other Weapons”