If you had to pick one of these knives.

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

If you were limted to the following choices, which knife would you pick.

Gerber Mark II
19%
SOG Seal 2000
19%
SOG Seal PUP
33%
Tom Brown Tracker
29%

Total votes: 21

EndeavourOfWill

If you had to pick one of these knives.

Post by EndeavourOfWill » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:44 pm

I have a meager collection of knives, including these larger ones. I like them all, which makes it annoying every time I plan on bring one camping or to work/field. Not very ideal for utility but I like them because it makes a little samurai inside me happy to be carrying one. Also I get a kick out of pissing people off who don't like large knives.

If you had to pick one of these blades which would you settle on?

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Re: If you had to pick one of these knives.

Post by ineffableone » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:03 pm

I opted for TB Tracker, for one reason. I cant' stand serrated blades. all the other knives have serrations and the tracker doesn't. So it was my only choice. Plus I have always wanted to try a tracker. I hear it is love it or hate it style of knife that has a bit of learning curve for getting used to how to use it. But when folks do learn to use it they tend to love it. I wouldn't mind testing that out and see if I can learn to use it, but for the price they sell for I would likely never buy one myself.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Darkhunter

Post by Darkhunter » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:19 pm

I love Gerber knives. I have multiple ones ranging from bayonet style to belt clip and boot knives. They have lasted throughout the years and keep an edge for some time.

223shootersc

Post by 223shootersc » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:17 pm

Tom Brown Tracker more versatile

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:27 am

As much as I am not a fan of the tracker, I would have to say that would be the best for any woods work that would need to be done. The Gerber is a fighting knife thru and thru. The SOGs are a mix between defensive blade and light duty field blade with more of an urban environment in mind. IMO, serrated blades are best suited for man made materials. If you are trying to cut rope, straps, plastic, etc.. as fast as possible, then serrations can be useful. If you are dealing with more natural materials, a plain edge is much better.

As for the tracker itself, I have my problems with it, but I know some people really dig it. See if it suits your style. One of my biggest gripes is the price tag, but if you already have it, then you should definitely use it. I met a guy once that owned one, and would lecture for what seemed like hours about how it was the roughest, toughest kid on the block. When he showed it to me, it looked like it hadn't been used to cut anything other than paper. I don't think he even once brought to edge to wood.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

EndeavourOfWill

Post by EndeavourOfWill » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:32 am

It looks like the Tom Brown Tracker is about $200 on Amazon. My wife bought it for me years ago and it was closer to $400. I find it's a little too big and especially heavy. The case mine came with is this giant rectangular sheath that fits horizontally across your back/hips; I've made half ass attempts to find a kydex belt sheath but never picked one up. The knife is about a pound I think?

I've looked for SEAL 2000 knives and Gerber MK2's with non-serrated blades but they're hard to track down and pretty expensive. I've seen the former up as high as $250-300 and the latter hundreds more. One vintage Mkii was going for $1300.
Blessed is the mind too small for doubt

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:19 pm

I have the f dick dagger and I think that shape is a bit painful to use for any other task other than killing things. Never been a fan of the tracker.

So the sog was an easy choice.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:53 pm

EndeavourOfWill wrote:I've looked for SEAL 2000 knives and Gerber MK2's with non-serrated blades but they're hard to track down and pretty expensive. I've seen the former up as high as $250-300 and the latter hundreds more. One vintage Mkii was going for $1300.
Just curious. Why not the Seal Pup Elite, which is easy to find in NS?
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

AfleetAlex
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead

Post by AfleetAlex » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:49 am

My personal choice is the Sog Pup Field knife; rather than the Seal.

You're 20x more likely to need your tool for field work, than as a weapon. But, God forbid you needed to use it as a weapon, in the right hands; I promise you it WILL get the job done.
Come with me if you want to live.

maine1
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, land of the dead, 28 days later, 28 weeks later. Original Dawn of the dead...any zombie movie is ok, some are better than others.

Post by maine1 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:46 am

Out of those, I guess the seal. Not what i'd choose , but of those pictured, its the most practical.
Had the TBT by Tops once. Nice conversation peice. Thats all- i like knives with edge geometry. I was going to regrind it into something more akin to a Beck, but traded it.
For that weight, I could have a 10-11" bowie knife.

Since when is a 7" or so blade a larger knife? I'd ignore those that give you a hard time about it.

Wraith6761

Post by Wraith6761 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:33 pm

Personally, I don't care for any of the offered choices...I'd go for my Buck Pathfinder. It's far more useful, easier to sharpen (than a serrated blade), and people tend not to freak out as much if/when they see it.

In my experience, blades longer than 5-6" aren't much use unless you're clearing out a lot of brush or cutting out a trail in dense woods...even then, I'd turn to a machete for that stuff. The only longer blade I have own is the Kabar Bowie, which was a b-day gift a couple years ago...not very useful for general work, but it does come in handy for dealing with bamboo in the back yard (and having a .25" spine, it's pretty decent for batoning). Could either one work as a defensive tool? Sure. Would I buy either one specifically for that use? Nope.
Woods Walker wrote:...I don't think it matters if a backpack has Dora the Explorer on it. Based on my observations from years of hunting and fishing if something looks and acts like prey it will draw in predators.

Return to “Other Weapons”