Is this $50 Crossbow worth the money?

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Slugg

Is this $50 Crossbow worth the money?

Post by Slugg » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:39 am

I was just wondering what our ZS archers thought of this crossbow. I know it is nowhere near the name brands like barnett, horton, or hoyt. I'm just curious if it's something worth the 50 bucks and if anyone thinks it could be used for anything more than a Walking Dead costume prop.

http://www.budk.com/catalog/product.jsp ... tId=162347" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The future is for those who prepare.

fred.greek

Re: Is this $50 Crossbow worth the money?

Post by fred.greek » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:30 am

Just babbling… have tried this one from sportsmans guide:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/s ... x?a=959330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

175 draw $135

and the Barrett Panzer:

150 draw $175

http://www.thecrossbowstore.com/Barnett ... Click=3472" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like the Sportsmans Guide one…

Amazon carries the same crossbow you mention, at a bit higher price… if you have not physically examined it, or gotten input from someone who has, check the return policy of the seller you cite vs amazon, just in case you get it and it does not meet your expectations.

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:06 am

fred.greek wrote:Just babbling… have tried this one from sportsmans guide:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/s ... x?a=959330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

175 draw $135

and the Barrett Panzer:

150 draw $175

http://www.thecrossbowstore.com/Barnett ... Click=3472" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like the Sportsmans Guide one…

Amazon carries the same crossbow you mention, at a bit higher price… if you have not physically examined it, or gotten input from someone who has, check the return policy of the seller you cite vs amazon, just in case you get it and it does not meet your expectations.
Thanks for the heads up on the purchasing. I'm probably not going to be buying this at the moment, it's more just because I'm wondering. Who knows though, I may find some great reviews and just find I need it.

So about the ones you bought, why do you prefer the sportmans guide one?

BUDK's return policy seems pretty good. I've used them for other products, but never had to return something yet. Here's the source. http://www.budk.com/custserv/custserv.jsp#returnPolicy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TN-Shooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TN-Shooter » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:10 am

Hmmm... The reviews look pretty good. But one always has to consider are those reviews legit.? Anyways, if you get it, leave us a review will ya? Thanks!
What if everyone was once a zombie but there was a human apocalypse?

Tyndmyr

Post by Tyndmyr » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:16 am

Hmm, I'm more of a regular bow guy, but this looks usable for small game if it's accurate. The bolts look a bit cheap, and I prefer carbon fiber myself, but that's an easy upgrade later, should you decide to do so. If you give it a shot, give us the details, for sure!

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:08 pm

Budk is a store for the mall ninja's, by the mall ninja's, of the mall ninja's.

Still if you want to spend the cost of a couple of pizza's and a coke on a cheap crossbow thats probably fun, no reason not to imo.

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:21 pm

Das Sheep wrote:Budk is a store for the mall ninja's, by the mall ninja's, of the mall ninja's.

Still if you want to spend the cost of a couple of pizza's and a coke on a cheap crossbow thats probably fun, no reason not to imo.
The bow is sold at tons of online stores, I just chose BudK due to it having reviews on the product. Budk has some good stuff at times, it's just hit or miss.

I'm probably not going to be buying this crossbow. If someone does, please put a review up here.

DaleGribble

Post by DaleGribble » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:46 pm

Something to consider, the bolts are 14", which is not a usual bolt size. Most are either 20" or 22". Not sure what availability or variety in this smaller size would be like in 14"

druid189

Post by druid189 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:47 pm

consider the bow prod, the speed of and design of the arrow [yeah, I said 'arrow'...a true "bolt" has no fletching. these have fletching.]

at 120 lbs, 185 fps isn't the fastest it could be...but it's no slouch either.

This crossbow will easily take any size game up to/including whitetail deer at reasonable distances and proper shot placement.

My 58 lb draw PSE compound sends a carbon arrow about 265 fps....but my arrows are thinner, longer and lighter. It's also properly tuned. This crossbow is not tuned [at least, not like a compound], the arrows are thicker/heavier [to withstand the force of 120 lb thrust] and shorter than normal arrows.

My arrows are 30" long. This uses 14" arrows [says 'bolts' but I corrected that above]. This was mentioned above....but I believe the most common "cheap crossbow" arrows are in the 16 to 18 inch class. High end crossbows like ten-point use the 20 and 22 inch arrows...but now we're talking about $1,000 + compound crossbows...not a $50 "disposable"......

The classes of crossbows are worlds apart. You can't compare this to a ten-point in ANY respect [other than it's basic design of being a crossbow]. Materials, craftsmanship and simple design differences aside, in the hands of a novice shooter, a crossbow still launches an arrow with better precision than say....using an Atlatl http://www.atlatl.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ........

and more still....getting stabbed by something the diameter of a common pen...using this formula:

185ft / s x (1mi / 5280ft) x (3600sec / 1 hr) = 126.13636~(infinity) MPH.

126 mph is no slouch for a $50 crossbow...especially since it's only real usable distance is up to 40 yards [and even that's a stretch]. Your optimal distance for precision shooting [for hunting or close quarters defense] archery products is up to about 20/30 yards. Yeah I know that English Longbow-men lobbed arrows hundreds of yards....we're not talking about lobbing arrows here.

So do YOU think it's a good deal? I do but as I already have a $300 compound, I might reserve this item as a last ditch effort if something happened to my primary bow...

DaleGribble

Post by DaleGribble » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:28 pm

Most xbows in general use 20" or 22" not just high end ones

EDIT without posting again, i wont waste time posting new ignorance

Don't need to call me an internet warrior just because you were wrong. No biggie, I was just pointing it out.... 18" are still around but 16" bolts are the same hard to find, low quality as these bud k bows.
Last edited by DaleGribble on Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tyndmyr

Post by Tyndmyr » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:09 pm

True, but his point about money is legit. It's easy to spend a grand on a crossbow setup, even without going top of the line. This seems like a decent deal for the money, but obviously, it's not gonna be as good as a much more expensive rig.

I could see myself using something like this if need be for hunting up some food.

druid189

Post by druid189 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:50 pm

DaleGribble wrote:Most xbows in general use 20" or 22" not just high end ones
ok. let's not get into a pissing match on the common length of a "cheap crossbow" arrow. The majority of CBs I see around here have a common arrow length of between 16 and 18 inches. You may see the 20-22 inch. Internet warriors often find reasons to correct everyone else. hoorah.

The point is this. he asked about a $50 crossbow with a 120 lb prod and asked if it was a "good deal."

The simple answer is "yes, it is".......

The extended answer is, "yes it is but there are better bows with better arrows" - just nowhere near that [low] cost. If the purchaser buys enough arrows [a few dozen], extra strings and string / rail wax to hold them through a disaster, the better off they will be.

So. Buy the [rounded up the prices to the nearest dollar]

Cross Bow------------------------------------$50.00
Extra Arrows, 5 pcs for------------------$19.00 [limit 1 per order AND back ordered]
Extra string----------------------------------$ 7.00 [also back ordered]
Lube Wax, 3 tubes for--------------------$ 8.00

for a whopping total of $84.00.......

versus

Their cheapest Barnett Crossbow at $340.00 http://www.budk.com/product/Barnett-Cro ... 156497.uts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
add for
Extra arrows, 5 pcs for --------------------$ 43.00 [20" and 22" are same cost, also no order limit and in stock]
Extra string-------------------------------------$ 7.00 [back ordered]
Lube wax, 3 tubes for-----------------------$ 8.00

for a grand total of --------------------------$398.00

...............and that's not even buying a crap-load of arrows. That's just one set of arrows.

Coincidentally......

This Barnett has a 150lb prod. Only 30lbs heavier than the cheaper one posted....but also does 315 fps....130 feet per second faster.

So....almost twice as fast but 4 and a half times more expensive.

Kind of pointless,,,all this griping for 30 lbs and two inches.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:38 pm

If you are looking for a toy crossbow to play with in the backyard then sure.

Not sure why your shopping Bud K.

Being an avid knife and sword collector I have come across Bud K more than a few times. In the knife and sword community Bud K is considered a joke. They specialize in selling stuff to ignorant masses, mostly adolescent boys who go for cheap and flashy stuff. I would suggest you toss your Bud K catalog and tell them to stop sending them to you.

I would suggest if your serious about a crossbow you shop through a reputable vendor, Sportsman Guide, Cabellas, Ye Olde Archery Shop, etc...

Not that you have to pay the $300-$1000 just that you find a vendor who is not renowned for selling cheap worthless crap.

some things to consider

For anything really decent, your going to have to expect to pay more than $100, and closer to $200-$300, for an entry level crossbow. Pretty much anything under $100 should be considered more a backyard hobbist toy. (still dangerous, but not a true effective weapon system)

For regular archery most places require a 40 lb bow, others require a 35 lb to 50 lb draw weight
Crossbows are the same with some locals requiring up to 175 Lb but most require a minimum 150 lb.

Don't forget the cost of bolts, decent crossbow bolts will cost a decent price as well. As has already been mentioned the bolts on the Bud K bow are small, in many places this would disqualify the bow from being used for hunting. Yep, most places require 20" bolts for hunting.

Most crossbow brands have a range of different priced bows, some decent crossbow brands include
Parker, Crossman, Barnett, Darton, TenPoint, Excalibur, Horton, PSE

A great article on affordable crossbows at http://www.military.com/entertainment/o ... sbows.html however the range of prices they list are from $250- $1000

If I had to recommend a decent starter crossbow it would likely be Barnett Jackal Crossbow Package
http://www.yeoldearcheryshoppe.com/barn ... 11378.html

At $300
The Jackal's stock design is unique to our crossbow line up. Its sleek military syle stock is lightweight and compact with a divided foregrip for comfortablel hand placement. The quad limb assembly is combined with high energy wheels and a syntehtic string and cable system producing fast arrow speeds!!
The weight and power of this bow makes a devastating weapon for any hunter. The Jackal also features Barnett's new ADF MIM trigger providing for a smooth 3.5 lb. trigger poll and the added benefits of a picatinny rail. The Jackal crossbow delivers the power and features of a "high priced" cross bow at a price that makes this crossbow an excellent value for everyone.
Package Includes:
Quiver
Four 20" Arrows
28 mm Single Red Dot Scope
POWER | 150 DRAW WEIGHT|105 FT. LBS OF ENERGY | 12 POWER STROKE | 315 FPS
DIMENSIONS | 7 lbs WEIGHT | 32.5" LENGTH | 26.5" WIDTH | 18 OR 20" ARROW LENGTH Additional

I know that is way over the price of the bow your looking at, but it is a much more realistic price for a decent crossbow. If $300 is too far over your budget, I would suggest you do your research figure out 3-4 different bows you like that are normally in the $200-$300 range, and watch for one to come up on ebay at a good lower price of $100-$150.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Return to “Other Weapons”