Question for those across the pond.

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

freenarative
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, 28 days/weeks later (viral outbreak not zombie but still,,,,)

Re: Question for those across the pond.

Post by freenarative » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:04 am

ForgeCorvus wrote:as a matter of record, most of us think that UK knife law sucks cold lumpy custard.... But we put up with it
You are so polite, I could just HUG you!
Personally I'd have said "it sucks bo11ocks!"
Drichar Deis wrote:Sledge hammer to the forehead, night night cow ;)
Prepping; Why prep? Well just think of it as a physical form of insurance. You insure your home "just in case" it gets robbed. Why not prep "just in case" the poop hits the propeller?

ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quite liked 'Dead Set'
'28 Days Later'
and think that 'Shaun of the Dead' is a great poke at the whole Z-flick thing

Post by ForgeCorvus » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:58 am

Its been over twenty five years but I still remember school custard...... Ball-Arcs would of been an improvement :clap:
I'm English, our Government doesn't trust us to have real guns........or decent pocket knives for that matter
Good job theres no such thing as a Trebuchet licence :D

Winner, PMBoB
LowKey wrote:INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:25 pm

ForgeCorvus wrote:Its been over twenty five years but I still remember school custard...... Ball-Arcs would of been an improvement :clap:
I'd eat inland oysters again, but school custard? Sorry, No thanks.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

K9medic

Post by K9medic » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:36 pm

Sago with a dollop of red (flavour unknown) jam mmmmmmm
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
'28 Days Later'

Post by ForgeCorvus » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:27 pm

K9medic wrote:Sago with a dollop of red (flavour unknown) jam mmmmmmm
You sick puppy :wink:

You'll be telling us you enjoy drinking vending machine decoffeenated caffeine next :lol:
I'm English, our Government doesn't trust us to have real guns........or decent pocket knives for that matter

Winner, PMBoB

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:54 am

ForgeCorvus wrote:

You'll be telling us you enjoy drinking vending machine decoffeenated caffeine next :lol:
"Listen, you stupid machine. It tastes filthy! Here take this cup back! "
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

K9medic

Post by K9medic » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:18 pm

Ad'lan wrote:
ForgeCorvus wrote:

"Listen, you stupid machine. It tastes filthy! Here take this cup back! "
Well wouldnt say I prefered it to a good Pumphreys coffee (personaly I'm rather fond of the Monsooned Malabar) http://www.pumphreys-coffee.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but if its all I'm being offered, black no sugar please :)
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

K9medic

Post by K9medic » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:00 am

Going back to the OP’s original question I would advise against carrying a locking knife around London. I believe that there are now using random walk through metal detectors on certain underground stations.

I am not sure if these are manned by the Police or by security companies. If it is by security companies then the staff will have no leeway but to call the Police if a knife is found (I know this because I teach the course for their license and it is what I taught them to do, Sorry :oops: ). This will create a paper trail with very little chance the Police Officer will be able to let it go with a quiet word.

At the very lest you are looking at a long wait for the Police to arrive, an official chat with the possibility of an official caution and the likely confiscation of the knife.

To me that is not worth the risk, when I travel to London I leave normal EDC pocket knife at home and carry a small, 1” bladed pen knife made in the 1950’s. Does the job, has been admired by people that normally would have panicked at a SAK and gives the Police / security types a reason to get interested in me.

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:31 am

Appreciate all the responses. I just got back from holiday (I used that instead of "vacation" because I believe that is the preferred usage for the majority of the responders to this thread :D ) and am catching up on the thread.

My dad left that same day I did, and not positive but I believe he took it with him. They were going to spend two weeks in Italy and then hop over to London for like 5-6 days. I'll report back when he gets home if there were any "run ins" with the law. Keeping my fingers crossed because I don't want him to contribute to the image of the ignorant American tourist. If you knew him I can assure you he doesn't mean to use it as a weapon, he's just used to carrying a knife as a tool for cleaning fingernails, cutting open packages, and trimming loose stiches on clothing........just wish I could have talked him into a different folder.
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

K9medic

Post by K9medic » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:33 am

Even picking up the lingo, now if you just swear allegiance to Her Majesty the Queen we can make you an Englishman :lol:

Ps what was school dinners like when you were a kid ?

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:34 am

K9medic wrote:Even picking up the lingo, now if you just swear allegiance to Her Majesty the Queen we can make you an Englishman :lol:

Her majesty the Queen would probably crap a solid gold brick if you made me an Englishman without me first getting rid of all my guns and knives! :lol:

School lunches were not pleasant here, but from the sounds of what I've been reading on this thread we didn't have it too bad. I'll be honest, I had to google "Sago" and nothing about it looks appetizing. We always looked forward to Friday, because Friday was pizza day. Granted it was soggy, tasteless pizza but any pizza is better than the compressed, imitation meat they attempted to pass off as a rib sandwich! I normally brought my lunch from home in a brown paper bag.
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
'28 Days Later'

Post by ForgeCorvus » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:17 pm

Maverick299 wrote:
K9medic wrote:Even picking up the lingo, now if you just swear allegiance to Her Majesty the Queen we can make you an Englishman :lol:

Her majesty the Queen would probably crap a solid gold brick if you made me an Englishman without me first getting rid of all my guns and knives! :lol:
Her Maj probably wouldn't care...... The bloody MPs however would have kitterns (Don't worry, we won't tell them if you don't :wink: )
School lunches were not pleasant here, but from the sounds of what I've been reading on this thread we didn't have it too bad. I'll be honest, I had to google "Sago" and nothing about it looks appetizing. We always looked forward to Friday, because Friday was pizza day. Granted it was soggy, tasteless pizza but any pizza is better than the compressed, imitation meat they attempted to pass off as a rib sandwich! I normally brought my lunch from home in a brown paper bag.
Not so long back a bunch of parents kicked up a stink because a headteacher had banned the kids from leaving school grounds at breaktimes, forcing them (the parents) to go to the Chippie or burger bar so their kids didn't have to eat the (subsidised) school dinners or like have pack-ups...... Not because the food available was bad, but because it would make them look poor and total shoot their street-cred.....I dispair :x

Winner, PMBoB

Return to “Other Weapons”