King of the bowie-who would it be ?

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

King of the bowie-who would it be ?

Post by azrael99 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:23 am

just a fun topic to get personal view on what should be a real "bowie"

to be fair, you don't need to go historical on it, but you DO need some basic aspect to what should be a "bowie"

this is one of the many ref on what a bowie should be :

"According to an 1847 article, the Bowie knife was originally designed to fill the need for a wearable, convenient close combat weapon - a short sword much shorter than the saber or other swords of the day, yet still possessing a heavy blade. This cleaver-like blade had enough weight to give the blade sufficient force in a slashing attack, while permitting the use of cut-and-thrust sword fighting tactics.[10] By this time the 'Bowie knife' was already being made in a variety of sizes, with the optimum blade length similar to "that of a carving knife"[10][11] The blade design was described as:
"Back (spine) perfectly straight in the first instance, but greatly rounded at the end on the edge side; the upper edge at the end, for a length of about two inches, is ground into the small segment of a circle and rendered sharp...The back itself gradually increases in weight of metal as it approaches the hilt, on which a small guard is placed. The Bowie knife, therefore, has a curved, keen point; is double-edged for the space of about two inches of its length, and when in use, falls with the weight of a bill hook."[10]
Most later versions of the Bowie knife had a blade of at least 8 inches (20 cm) in length, some reaching 12 inches (30 cm) or more, with a relatively broad blade that was an inch and a half to two inches wide (4 to 5 cm) and made of steel usually between 3⁄16 to 1⁄4 in (4.763 to 6.350 mm) thick. The back of the blade sometimes had a strip of soft metal (normally brass or copper) inlaid which some believe was intended to catch an opponent's blade while others hold it was intended to provide support and absorb shock to help prevent breaking of poor quality steel or poorly heat treated blades. Bowie knives often had an upper guard that bent forward at an angle (an S-guard) intended to catch an opponent's blade or provide protection to the owner's hand during parries and corps-a-corps.
Some Bowie knives had a notch on the bottom of the blade near the hilt known as a "Spanish Notch". The Spanish Notch is often cited as a mechanism for catching an opponent's blade; however, some Bowie researchers hold that the Spanish Notch is ill-suited to this function and frequently fails to achieve the desired results. These researchers, instead, hold that the Spanish Notch has the much more mundane function as a tool for stripping sinew and repairing rope and nets, as a guide to assist in sharpening the blade (assuring that the sharpening process starts at a specific point and not further up the edge), or as a point to relieve stress on the blade during use.
One characteristic of Bowie knives is the clip point at the top of the blade, which brings the tip of the blade lower than the spine for better control. As the goal is to produce a sharp, stabbing point, most Bowie knives have a bevel ground along the clip, typically 1/4 of the way, but sometimes much further running the entire top-edge. This is referred to as a false edge as from a distance it looks sharpened, although it may or may not be. Regardless of whether or not the false edge is sharp, it serves to take metal away from the point, streamlining the tip and thus enhancing the penetration capability of the blade during a stab. The version attributed to blacksmith James Black had this false edge fully sharpened in order to allow someone trained in European techniques of saber fencing to execute the maneuver called the "back cut" or "back slash".[6] A brass quillon, usually cast in a mold, was attached to protect the hand.
The Bowie knife's design also lends itself to use as a hunting knife for skinning or butchering game. The curved top clip bevel of the blade, when suitably sharpened, may be used to remove the skin from a carcass, while the straight portion of the blade edge, toward the guard, can be used for cutting meat. This is similar in concept to the traditional Finnish hunting knife, the "puukko" (though the typical early 19th-century Bowie knife was far larger and heavier than the typical puukko). Arkansas culturalist and researcher Russell T. Johnson describes the James Black knife in the following manner and at the same time captures the quintessence of the Bowie Knife: "It must be long enough to use as a sword, sharp enough to use as a razor, wide enough to use as a paddle, and heavy enough to use as a hatchet."[6][12] Most such knives intended for hunting are only sharpened on one edge, to reduce the danger of cutting oneself while butchering and skinning the carcass.
Earlier variants of the Bowie knife can be seen looking at European seax's, a knife/short sword used every day by the Vikings, Anglo Saxons, and Germanic people of the Dark Ages. History shows the evolution of the blade from a simple round ended multi purpose tool to a clip pointed, heavy backed knife or short sword used as a side arm after initial attacks rendered a broken spear or long sword useless.[dubious – discuss]"

you can use that text as a ref, but please keep the fantasy at the minimum and please stay as close to the original design as possible

here some personal idea on what a bowie should look like to keep as ref

please tell us why you think your model should be the king of all bowie.

here some idea (your choice don't need to be identical but must at least follow a similar design or follow a similar pattern. )

"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Re: King of the bowie-who would it be ?

Post by azrael99 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:10 am

for those who wonder :

there is no limit of maker, it can be as much as handmade as commercially made , or country, it can be made in the US as much as in Germany, for as long as they respect the original design
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

maine1
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, land of the dead, 28 days later, 28 weeks later. Original Dawn of the dead...any zombie movie is ok, some are better than others.

Post by maine1 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:32 pm

There is no ONE ultimate bowie knife for everyone, as everyone has specific things they like/dislike, some have high degrees of skill, some do not know such skills are possible, ect.

My ultimate bowie will not exist until i make it.

One issue with the article above: the Spanish notch IS a fighting feature, and combined with a well designed and properly executed guard works WELL with a little practice. Its works so well, in fact, that in training a trainer without said notch is used, to prevent the binds that occur without effort, and saving time taking the knives apart every few seconds.
Most of the world does not know this, and thus makes up BS reasons for it as they do not understand what the feature really is.

I am really excited to see what everyone comes up with- i loves me some bowie knives, obviously.

DarkPhoenix
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead series, BrainDead, ZombieLand, Shaun of the Dead, and for really bad movies, Video Dead.

Post by DarkPhoenix » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:09 pm

Becker BK-9 Combat Bowie

There is a reason that it is called the King. :)
I feel like you eye-ballin' me, dawg!

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:20 pm

i will raise the bar with my personal candidate

the Case XX bowie knife (the one that made the name of Case for nearly 200 years)

(that knife is my personal one...........will make a review of it sooner or later)

Turtlewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.

Post by Turtlewolf » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:41 pm

Fox Knives of Italy.
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

Wrangler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Wrangler » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:51 pm

My vote goes to Swamp Fox Knives. He made my Texican style Bowie and it is perfect for me. A classic style Bowie that is fully functional and handmade in the USA.

When I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take along Samuel Colt...

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:06 pm

you model is GORGEOUS , i admit it

can't wait to see what other pretty piece of sharp art will be showed

BJMadden85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of them...

Post by BJMadden85 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:18 pm

I haven't put up pictures of my blades yet, but my Cold Steel Natchez Bowie is a great Bowie. Or my grandpa's stag antler handle Bowie, it is a true Bowie too.
Brandon J. Madden, Esq.
ZS member
ZSC:017

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear. -Mark Twain

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:25 pm

go ahead, we want to see it

Wrangler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Wrangler » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:20 pm

We need more bowie pictures... I shall go take some pictures of a few of mine.
When I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take along Samuel Colt...

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:33 pm

Please do so !!!

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:37 pm

I've always thought of them as basically big ass blades (>8') with a guard and usually a clip point.

Most of the ones I've owned or seen had a natural material handle. Some have hidden tangs and some have full tangs. Didn't seem to matter as much as the guard and the blade. Most these days are single edge just cause of knife laws against double edge blades.

Since a pic is worth a thousand words something like these.

To me the blade on some Bowies is a bit to wide. Think about it. Yeah it's a tool, but it's also a fighting knife. Trying to get through a rib cage with one of those really wide Bowies blades would be tough. Not much call for that these days, most people use guns or if they do use a knife it's generally not some Bowie knife over $100. It's a crappy $20 folder.

Only time I'd ever use a knife like the above for real would be on a hog knife hunt using dogs. One of these days I'm going to go.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:45 am

well those look lovely and awesome, you got yourself really neat pieces theres

Storm Crow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead re-make

Post by Storm Crow » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:32 am

Browning 35 - Who's the maker of those? I should know who uses the gold dot as his touchmark, but it's evading me at the moment. Beautiful work!
Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

Forged blades: http://www.helmforge.com

Stock removal blades: http://www.helmgrind.com

The Wasteland Crow Project: http://wastelandcrow.blogspot.com

Jaeger

Post by Jaeger » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:52 am

I have one of these. I didn't really intend on buying it, but when I visited with the CS guys at the NRA show last year Thompson made me an offer I couldn't refuse. He sold it to me for half the MSRP, which is far lower than I had seen anywhere.

Not exactly sure why, other than I really liked the way it looked, and I didn't have a Bowie other than a relic that I would never actually use. I bought a half dozen other CS knives that day because they seemed to be selling them at cost at the show.

I really don't like the stud, IWB sheath. It isn't comfortable, and the knife is simply too long for it IMO. It would be better on a belt sheath with a tie down. It's long enough to do a back rig ala Crocodile Dundee. I have thought occasionally about having a custom sheath made, but obviously it isn't a priority, and there are several other more practical holsters I need for things I use. I'd toss it in the car if it was the end of the world as we know it, but I think it's real use would only come into play when the ammunition ran out. Not a bad thing to have in your hand against walking corpses either.

Does anyone have a DownUnder knife http://www.downunderknives.com/? I looked at them a few years ago when they only had two models. Now they have several more, and their prices have skyrocketed. I think they're attractive, and look to have a similar fit and finish to a Randal that you'd pay more than double that for...
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Jaeger

Post by Jaeger » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:54 am

p.s. - Love that basket weave sheath azrael99! Did that come with it or was it aftermarket? It reminds me of the old Safariland rigs the State Troopers used to holster their Pythons!
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:58 am

Browning 35 wrote:

I have never wanted a bowie knife until just now. Fuck your face for that :vmad:
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Jaeger

Post by Jaeger » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:59 am

Storm Crow wrote:Browning 35 - Who's the maker of those? I should know who uses the gold dot as his touchmark, but it's evading me at the moment. Beautiful work!
Looks a lot like a Kanetsune field knife. Beautiful!

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:59 am

Jaeger wrote:p.s. - Love that basket weave sheath azrael99! Did that come with it or was it aftermarket? It reminds me of the old Safariland rigs the State Troopers used to holster their Pythons!

Yes it does !! And seriously you can't beat the quality price ratio of it, and don't even think to find a FORGED knife with such finish for the same price ( knife and sheath for 150$ )

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:30 am

azrael99 wrote:well those look lovely and awesome, you got yourself really neat pieces theres
Should have stated from the get-go that those aren't mine. Thought that it would be apparent from the photography. I'm not that great with a camera.

He's just a blade smith I've admired for awhile and eventually I'd like to get one of his for my collection.

Mostly I'm into smaller blades as they work better for me. Largest blade I own right now is this one (unless you count that Buck 119).

It's more Bowie-like than being an actual Bowie.
Storm Crow wrote:Browning 35 - Who's the maker of those? I should know who uses the gold dot as his touchmark, but it's evading me at the moment. Beautiful work!
It's Don Fogg.

http://www.dfoggknives.com/index.htm
crypto wrote:I have never wanted a bowie knife until just now. Fuck your face for that :vmad:
Just paying you back for that AR-10 you bought awhile back. :wink:

I've been wanting one of those for awhile.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Storm Crow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead re-make

Post by Storm Crow » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:16 pm

Browning 35 wrote:
It's Don Fogg.

That's what I was thinking going by the hamon, but I couldn't see the cherry blossom in the gold dot, and I had a bit of a brain fart.

His Yakuza Bowie that's based off of Japanese whaler knives is one of my favorites: http://www.dfoggknives.com/yakuzabowieii.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

Forged blades: http://www.helmforge.com

Stock removal blades: http://www.helmgrind.com

The Wasteland Crow Project: http://wastelandcrow.blogspot.com

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:20 pm

Storm Crow wrote:
Browning 35 wrote:
It's Don Fogg.

That's what I was thinking going by the hamon, but I couldn't see the cherry blossom in the gold dot, and I had a bit of a brain fart.

His Yakuza Bowie that's based off of Japanese whaler knives is one of my favorites: http://www.dfoggknives.com/yakuzabowieii.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Welp, that's the winner for me. Nice. I can kill with it and cook with it.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:12 pm

holy crap, that a beast indeed.

Return to “Other Weapons”