Blunt Weapons Ideas and Picture Thread

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Arsenul
Favorite Zombie Movies: meh

Blunt Weapons Ideas and Picture Thread

Post by Arsenul » Tue May 28, 2013 7:51 am

So the title say's it all. Here we can post pictures of all our blunt force trauma melee weapons or any ideas we have for creating our own. If you've made something new, then post it here. This way we can all get great ideas on what we can make/buy/use in the event of a apocalyptic disaster.
Tell me I can't do it and watch as I prove you wrong.

Arsenul
Favorite Zombie Movies: meh

Re: Blunt Weapons Ideas and Picture Thread

Post by Arsenul » Tue May 28, 2013 7:59 am

So the first thing, one of my favorite and all time weapons is the Cold Steel Gun Stock War Club. As seen in this video, it's worth using to fend off against zombies.

And don't forget it's little brother, the Cold Steel Indian War Club.

Now something I found on YouTube reminded me of those old fashioned movies or cartoons with the strong man from the circus. He had a large stick with a heavy ball on the end. When I found this video on YouTube I was so surprised, and although I don't have the muscle to use it as a weapon, I'd love to use it as a prop.

Now here's something from a zombie page I frequent. It's called the pummel pipe. If you haven't seen it before, here's your chance. It's small, easy to make, and doesn't look like it'll break on you any time soon.
http://zombease.com/2012/10/24/the-pumm ... ee-weapon/

And finally, another ready made weapon, is the M48 Apocalypse Hammer. It's a little bigger than the pummel pipe, and made for this purpose. I like the green grips for if I drop it or have to pick it up in the dark, it's really visible.
http://www.budk.com/product/Zombie-Surv ... 175567.uts
Tell me I can't do it and watch as I prove you wrong.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Tue May 28, 2013 11:22 am

I always figured a T-ball bat to be highly underrated as a melee weapon.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 00872-1220" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Long enough for good reach, short and light enough for a adult to use with one hand, aluminum for durability. And it doesn't look like a weapon, most of the time - especially if you have kids that are T-ball age, nobody will question why you have one or two.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Tue May 28, 2013 11:36 am

The CS Brooklyn Smasher is a baseball bat made of polypropylene, and is unbreakable. Unlike the other items featured above, I can get stopped by the police with that in my passenger seat, and not raise any eyebrows...anywhere, anytime.

Jamie
Last edited by Jamie on Tue May 28, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue May 28, 2013 11:44 am

'48 Buick Roadmaster

Game. Set. Match. :mrgreen:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Red Tamarillo

Post by Red Tamarillo » Wed May 29, 2013 12:58 am

Jamie wrote: The CS Brooklyn Smasher is a baseball bat made of polypropylene, and is unbreakable. Unlike the other items featured above, I can get stopped by the police with that in my passenger seat, and not raise any eyebrows...anywhere, anytime.
Jamie
No offense Jamie, but that's bad advice. There is a famous case in Sweden where a guy was charged for having a bat in his car. A lot of countries (mine which is not Sweden) have catch all laws where you can be charged for carrying an item that could be used as a weapon without legitimate excuse.
A lot of guys then say- well I'll just put a glove and ball in my car too. A legitimate excuse requires you to be actually playing baseball in some form. And you'd have to keep it in the back. And then a dedicated prosecuter could query why you were carrying it at night, in winter etc...

This whole site is about planning often for the worst case scenario- there's plenty that can go wrong in a worst case legal scenario with bat carry. All it takes is an over zealous PC cop and/or prosecutor, more interested in disadvantaged criminals rights, than the rights of everyday citizens. These people exist.

There's no need to be devious when it comes to car carry. There's lots of legitimate, easy, cheap options.

http://store.winner-intl.com/steering-w ... ks-c4.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a reason they called this brand of steering wheel locks "the club". You can legally put one on your front passenger seat. It's not unreasonable to throw it there after using it, and it looks in place any time, any season.
The brand I have comes apart into two pieces. The heavier piece has a handle on it that fits my hand nicely.

Large maglite's are also called "the civilian's baton". I keep a 4C in my glovebox.
In both examples these tools have an actual useful use- hindering car theft, and providing light when needed.

A baseball bat is also a bad recommendation because it's a two handed weapon. The Cold Steel versions moreso, because they're heavier than standard baseball bats. They're heavy as f@ck.
Steering wheel locks and maglites can be swung one handed, and inside the confines of a car. They can also be concealed a bit easier under a jacket if needed- there's no reason to give away to a potential bad guy that you have something able to smack him with if you (stupidly) step outside your cabin. Until you need to use it.

51MEANTXGUNS50
Favorite Zombie Movies: City of the Living Dead, Day Of The Dead, the Resident Evil series was ok...

Post by 51MEANTXGUNS50 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:14 pm

I recently did a review on some ASP telescopic batons. Hope you guys find them enjoyable and informative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH9kTouEHJo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xijqzg9_N8
"Violence is not a game, nor is it a cartoon. Violence is sickeningly real, it hurts, it ruins lives, and it has lasting medical, psychological, legal, and social repercussions. Violence is not something to be toyed with, it is something to be avoided through whatever means necessary. Violence is not fun."

51MEANTXGUNS50
Favorite Zombie Movies: City of the Living Dead, Day Of The Dead, the Resident Evil series was ok...

Post by 51MEANTXGUNS50 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:19 pm

And for just straight sticks which make for good clubs these are pretty effective too :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFa6oCcO0Qo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHVcQZ42D2M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkC2javVU6k
"Violence is not a game, nor is it a cartoon. Violence is sickeningly real, it hurts, it ruins lives, and it has lasting medical, psychological, legal, and social repercussions. Violence is not something to be toyed with, it is something to be avoided through whatever means necessary. Violence is not fun."

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:43 pm

Aluminum bat......I just like the way they "sing".

Plus, you can turn them into a field expedient suppressor.

Image[/quote]
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Zerve

Post by Zerve » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:02 am

Totally agree with Red Tamarillo, here in the UK carrying a baseball or cricket bat at night or in the winter would arise suspicions with the police but maglites a tool with a working job unless yo had to use it or threatened someone with it your not going to get stung with the offensive weapons act having it in your car. I have a couple there pretty much all over my house :roll:

ednemo

Post by ednemo » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:35 pm

I recommend a cane. It actually is legal everywhere.

raxar

Post by raxar » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:31 pm

golf balls

paper towel roll (sans paper towels)

duct tape

stack golf ball in tube, wrap in duct tape until strong enough to not bend when you hit something with it. Hit something with it. TA-DA
...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:38 pm

ednemo wrote:Image

Is that the Kabar cane?

RUSirius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, all Romero zombie flicks, "Dawn of the Dead" remake

Post by RUSirius » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:09 am

For a blunt weapon to use in actual bug-out emergencies, you can't go wrong with a staff/walking stick. I recommend buying a 4-5-foot ash shovel handle for this purpose; they're sturdy, have usually been treated with chemicals to help protect from water damage, have enough heft to put serious hurt on someone, and are light enough that you can use it with one hand with a proper grip. The tapered end can also easily be fitted with the rubber toe from a crutch or cane, to help keep it from digging into soft earth and upsetting your balance while you're on the trail.

The only disadvantage is that its length can become problematic if used in tight quarters; for that reason, I recommend A) learning some actual short-staff fighting techniques, and B) rather than swinging like a baseball bat, thrust with the end like a spear or a sword. Even without a sharp end, putting your full weight and arm strength behind such a thrust will easily knock the wind out of someone and can even crack ribs, knock out teeth or break a nose; if you decide not to put the rubber toe on the end, the tapered end is narrow enough to slip into an eye socket if you have good aim (not recommended; the eye is a TINY target).

Best of all? It's got an actual practical use beyond fighting. In bug-out situations, you want to have as little to carry as possible, so you need to have as many weapons that can serve as tools and vice versa as possible.

51MEANTXGUNS50

Post by 51MEANTXGUNS50 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:43 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moHgHC1F ... 6C5B734B0B" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are some reviews and demos of my Cold Steel walking stick collection, they are unobtrusive and non escalatory and you can carry them anywhere. I reviewed and did smash/cut tests with all seven. And don't mind the review on The Dragon Walking Stick, in all fairness that particular stick is meant for soft targets, not smacking 2X4's. They replaced it for free but made it clear that while they make cool demo vids, they are not meant to constantly be hitting bricks or cinderblocks or anything like that. Hopefully these will be helpful and informative to those who wonder about these sticks.

ednemo

Post by ednemo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:07 pm

Das Sheep wrote:
ednemo wrote:Image

Is that the Kabar cane?
No that is the Canemasters Midnight cane in hickory. I also have the Robaina Raven in solid aluminum.

http://americancaneselfdefense.com/1279 ... e-is-here/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:22 pm

Lead pipe, wrench, candlestick.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

DarkPhoenix
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead series, BrainDead, ZombieLand, Shaun of the Dead, and for really bad movies, Video Dead.

Post by DarkPhoenix » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:29 am

How about a tire iron? There is no reason why a LEO would ever question that being in your car.
I feel like you eye-ballin' me, dawg!

Wastelander

Post by Wastelander » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:11 pm

Through my martial arts training, I feel pretty comfortable with the basics of fighting with blunt weapons 16" or more in length, including ones with the ability to hook (shovels, hatchets, hammers, etc.), but I can't get fancy like those kali/escrima guys can. Anything much smaller than that and I'll typically use it like a kubotan for striking and a few pain compliance techniques. Simple Expo or Sharpie markers can work as kubotans, so long as you aren't expecting them to come out of the experience in perfect condition. Personally, when it comes to kubotans, I prefer a Mini Maglite, although I got my wife a cocobolo koppo stick that she wears in her hair (it's gone through airport security several times with no problem, but I'm sure some TSA folks would catch it). I have an Alpha Innovations Stinger II, and I'm confident in its durability and effectiveness, but it's definitely a weapon. The steering wheel lock is a good option to have in your car--mine is one that hooks onto the steering wheel and break pedal, and you can pull it apart when it's unlocked which will give you a 2ft long steel rod with ridges all down it and a hook to keep it in your grip.

RUSirius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, all Romero zombie flicks, "Dawn of the Dead" remake

Post by RUSirius » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:56 pm

I just got done making two pummel pipes for myself, one long, the other short. I like how they feel in my hand, and I plan to test them on some concrete blocks tonight. It occurred to me as I was working that, with the proper knowledge of woodworking, you could attach a pummel pipe's head, or even the whole thing, to a sturdy wooden shaft and have a good walking stick and weapon in one, as with some tactical survival hammers now available. I have a couple of ideas for how to achieve this, but unfortunately, I don't have the tools. If anyone wants to give it a try, could you let us know how it works out?

Sen

Post by Sen » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:02 pm

A lot of people in the past have carried hammers for weapons due to the ease of explaining why you have it. I think I'd go with something like that. That or a walking stick.

There are also those self defense umbrellas that look reasonably effective and low profile http://real-self-defense.com/unbreakable-umbrella/.

I've always thought I'd use either the war hammer or the flanged mace as a zombie killing weapon.

Jaeger

Post by Jaeger » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:37 pm

I've got one of these...that I actually use for demo...But, I suppose it could be a very effective weapon if one were so inclined to improvise.

My friend, whose family owned a machine shop, tool a solid piece of steel stock about two feet long and an inch in diameter, and machined a knurled grip on the thing. It was short, but incredibly heavy. It was a little shocking how heavy when you first held it. You couldn't swing it very fast, but it would swing through just about anything, and break a 2X4 like it was a twig. I wish I had a picture of it (he may still have it).
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Ragzork

Post by Ragzork » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:54 am

Pick Axe handle...That is all.

Beardedknifeguy

Post by Beardedknifeguy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:55 am

I think I would go with the burda club easy enough to make and effective.

Return to “Other Weapons”