It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:46 am 

haha I did give them a little bit of a test trying to make a bird trap, but considering I'd never made one before the trap was a large failure. However the notches looked like the ones in the video I watched and weren't very hard to do. Considering my complete lack of experience to compare it to I decided to not put it in my little report. I completely forgot to test it for firesteels and also for lifting billy cans by their wire.
It is good for one thing though, making the knife look cool!
I would've preferred to turn that section of the knife into a big angry alternating teeth style wood saw which is the only kind of serration you can get to work well on thick blades, but the budget for the knife and KHHI's complete lack of experience at serrations pretty much killed that idea. If at any point I can motivate Saroj to train a Kami to make serrations properly you can bet that they're going on the back of this knife.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:03 pm 

Didn't you say they have a CNC mill? Seems like they could chuck the blade up in a vise on the table with the spine up and whittle the teeth out that way. 'Course, milling is not my area of knowledge.

Forged blades: http://www.helmforge.com

Stock removal blades: http://www.helmgrind.com

The Wasteland Crow Project: http://wastelandcrow.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 pm 

KHHI has suffered a pretty big setback recently.
On the 6th of may, KHHI's main workshop was the victim of an armed robbery by a gang of drug fuelled bandits.
This is hugely demoralising for all the kamis over there, especially saroj as he works so hard and to see his business trashed and his profits snatched away by lowlifes is very hard indeed.
If any of you guys have orders and you're waiting for delivery, you can expect a 10-20 day wait while KHHI gets its stuff back in order and gets back on track. Most importantly, though is that KHHI will get back on track eventually.
If you're looking for more information, KHHI did a small write-up right here.
http://www.gurkhas-kukris.com/freshtation/

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:20 pm 

oops, I thought I'd replied to you about CNC milling way earlier stormcrow.
It's certainly a possibility. Once everything is settled down I'll see if I can find out what bits they have. Once I know that I'll try to build a 3d model in solidworks for them and they can use that to base their programs off. If they haven't got the proper bits then it'd have to be handmade.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:35 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Man, that sucks about Saroj and the KHHI crew getting attacked by those bandit bastards.

Here's hoping they get everything back to normal soon. And hopefully those bandits never strike again.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:38 pm 

a bunch of gangster attacked a shop that specialized into kukri making ? they have ball or are retarded (since they were on drug, i think it would be the second choice) imagine to get hit in the face by a heated red glowing kukri blank, :rofl:

seriously i feel sorry for them, i hope they will be fine and you can count on my support. if i can order a model later i will.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:21 am 

Yeah I know, the guys must be pretty drugf*cked to even think of trying that kind of shit at a khukuri shop. Safety of the kamis is more important than money, so a conflict was avoided no matter the price. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason that the bandits weren't carried away from the workshop in little chunks.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:28 am 

all you need to do is to get ex-gurkha (even though a gurkha never really retire) as security ........................or tell the gurkha units you sell your kukri that you get some problem with some punks

nowhere on earth or in hell is safe enough to hide again even a single pissed o** gurkha , he will draw his kukri made by KHHI and you will draw blood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:23 am 

Just wanted to let you know that I ordered mine today!!! Can't wait to receive it!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:51 am 

Also, where is the video of The Zombies Go Boom using this knife?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:22 am 

Hey guys,
Lots of delays on the ZGB knife vid. In summary Saroj wants to make sure he doesn't disappoint the ZGB guys and jumped into a whole bunch of ways to make sure that knife was awesome. He was so impressed with the performance after changes in edge geometry, honing and finishing work, that he's been working crazy hard with me to try and get these new processes to be economical and suited for mass production so they can go into all of KHHI's knives. He doesn't want to send off the test one because currently it outperforms the stock version and he thinks it's dishonest, which I admire him greatly for. As soon as the standard knife is at the same level as that one, then he'll send one off to ZGB and a video will get made in the couple of months afterwards.
I've come to learn that things move very slowly in Nepal. Deadlines are a foreign concept- things are simply done when they are done.
As inconvenient a philosophy as that is, there's still something about it that makes me think that they might just have the right idea ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:25 am 

Hey guys,
Lots of delays on the ZGB knife vid. In summary Saroj wants to make sure he doesn't disappoint the ZGB guys and jumped into a whole bunch of ways to make sure that knife was awesome. He was so impressed with the performance after changes in edge geometry, honing and finishing work, that he's been working crazy hard with me to try and get these new processes to be economical and suited for mass production so they can go into all of KHHI's knives. He doesn't want to send off the test one because currently it outperforms the stock version and he thinks it's dishonest, which I admire him greatly for. As soon as the standard knife is at the same level as that one, then he'll send one off to ZGB and a video will get made in the couple of months afterwards.
I've come to learn that things move very slowly in Nepal. Deadlines are a foreign concept- things are simply done when they are done.
As inconvenient a philosophy as that is, there's still something about it that makes me think that they might just have the right idea ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:56 am 

Just saw your last post. Do you think I should just wait for the modified/ updated one?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:01 am 

Totally up to you my friend.
There was a fair bit of updating done to the knife in the few months since it was released, including taking some meat off the secondary grind and fine tuning of the ergonomics and balance etc. Right now the only difference would be a sharper and more properly convexed edge from when you buy it. The honing process might end up with a little bit of extra price being added to the knife, so you might be better off sharpening the edge at home if you have the skill.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:45 am 

Got the knife today! I'll post some pictures of it. It looks and feel fantastic! Great product!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:51 pm 

Here are some pictures of my knife. I noticed my knife is a little different than the one you posted of the "Director's Cut". Do I have to pay more to get the Director's Cut, The Scourge?

Here's are the specs and pics:

2. 7 lbs.

12.75"-Blade Length

19"- Overall Length

https://picasaweb.google.com/101015434396803410431/TheScourge#5948840794823266546
https://picasaweb.google.com/101015434396803410431/TheScourge#5948840772821760738
https://picasaweb.google.com/101015434396803410431/TheScourge#5948840787467099874
https://picasaweb.google.com/101015434396803410431/TheScourge#5948840762284089714
https://picasaweb.google.com/101015434396803410431/TheScourge#5948840760848733714

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:23 pm 

Hey man, great to hear you've got your hands on one!
The director's cut Scourge is my personal modified one :) It started off as a stock one and then I ground a fuller into it with an angle grinder and gave it a mega patina with tomato sauce and other kitchen condiments. Because the extra work was done by me and not the KHHI guys, I can't guarantee you that if you asked them to make one the same that they'd be able to replicate it perfectly. However, If you're looking for a unique one or some fullers or nepalese engraving, then I can't suggest their custom services enough. Because of the way they make knives without machinery and essentially on a per order basis, the custom knives are almost the same price as stock models, with maybe an extra 10% or 20% added onto the price for the extra brainpower it takes. Still that's only like $130 for a helluva lot of unique knife.
IF you're worried about the dynamics and function, the fuller was added by me to lighten the prototype model as it was built too thick for my liking. For one month after beginning of production, all stock ones where built thinner so that they have the same dynamics as the director's cut :)
By the way, I can't get your pictures to work?
I'd really like to have a look at one as recent as yours to see if things are still up to scratch, but if you can't get them to work then no biggie :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:33 am 

Hey guys! An update on what's happened with the scourge in the last few years for those who were there when it was first made or for those who have just come across the design recently. The design has been an enormous success! For almost six months it outsold all of khhi's other knives put together. However unfortunately it might have been too popular. Sure enough other houses started making imitations and flooding the market and eventually khhi started cutting corners to try and keep up. It got to the stage where they were plasma cutting blades out of 52100esque sheet steel from india then water quenching without temper. Really rough stuff and I had to leave to preserve my reputation as a blade designer. The current scourge available from KHHI is a shadow of its former self and you should stay away from it if you're after the real deal. They too are now in the hordes of imitators.
If you're looking for the best version of the design check out kailash blades.
http://kailashblades.com/product/scourge/
It's a newer house that was started by some old friends from khhi with help from myself. The knives are hand forged as intended and sre even given a far superior heat treat involving a differential oil quench and triple tempering and normalisation.
Stay prepared!
Andrew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:05 pm 

Good to see an update.

It's interesting to me to see the mentality of the KHHI guys in feeling like they need to cut corners to keep up with the knock offs, rather than promote that they have the original design and showing their superior product. If you're selling to a Western customer base, they will typically be willing to pay a bit more for a demonstrably better performance.

Glad that you're continuing on with some competition. :mrgreen:

Forged blades: http://www.helmforge.com

Stock removal blades: http://www.helmgrind.com

The Wasteland Crow Project: http://wastelandcrow.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:36 am 

Ooooo, nice. So pretty! :clap: Really like that there are some options to customize the blade a bit, especially a left-handed leather sheath for us southpaws. Very sad I have no spare money for blades right now. Glad you were able to find someone else to produce it with better quality standards.

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."