It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KHHI Scourge testing!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:05 am 

It's me again! For those who have forgotten or didn't see the first time around, I'm an australian designer currently collaborating with Khukuri House Handicraft Industry on the production of a $100 zombie/apocalypse khukuri, working with the feedback and input from various members of this very forum. Previous threads can be found here for development etc.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=105392
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=101203
http://ww42.zombiehunters.org/forum/vie ... 3&t=101743

Been a while since my last update but things have been slow. There are a few things in this world that can't be sped up and seemingly (Unless JoergS can rig up an intercontinental khukuri slingshot) mailing khukuris from nepal to australia is one of those things.
However progress has been made. I've given the knife a hell of a beating and will list some of the things I've put it through right here, in order of craziness.

Delimbed many trees, ranging from pine trees to the dreaded Red Ironbark.
Debarked branches
Hacked branches into smaller pieces
Split enough logs for three fires. It handled this very well indeed, better than my hatchet and with practice, almost as good as my small axe.
Cut up tree roots.
Carved stakes, hammered in said stakes with the pommel and side of the blade (preferred).
Made feathersticks and shavings.
Batonned through some logs like a pro. The sharpened back edge doesn't provide as much difficulty as many of you had assumed. Indeed, it does cut into the baton, but instead of getting stuck it just blasts chips out of the baton. This shows that not all the power is getting transferred, but it still works pretty awesomely.
Stabbed, split, cut and chopped many many grapefruit, oranges and lemons as well as some milk jugs full of water. The knife performed these tasks very well, and swings with the back edge proved effective as well. I'd expect even better performance from the 8mm blade instead of the 10mm blade.
Food prep stuff. It worked, but the blade is a bit too thick to expect it to perform like a chef's knife.
Hacked through wood with nails in it.
Punched a few trees witht he integral hand guard. It protected my hand amazingly in all tests and didn't even bend.
Sliced up a paint can. Upon seeing this occur, my friend proceeded to STAB THE KNIFE THROUGH AN OLD 44 GALLON DRUM. These old ones are crazy thick, but it still went in about half of the knife's length.
Split multiple sheep skulls in half like they weren't even there.
Hacked a hole in a door, fireman style.
Cut a door away from the hinges by destroying the wood on either side of the hinge then kicking it in.
Smashed some windows with both the pommel and the knife point.
Used the skullcrusher pommel to split an old brick in half. Eventually.
Cracked open 4 bottles of Porter and proceeded to drink them while doing that stuff.

So yeah, pretty safe to say the knife's been given a thrashing. The heat treat is pretty much perfect. After doing everything listed above over two days, the only damage to the blade was a tiny little bit of rolling at the tip from when it went into the thick steel drum. Pretty understandable considering what it was put through. I fixed it in about five seconds with a file and contemplated suggesting a change to the heat treat at the point but decided that a slightly bent point was better than a snapped or chipped point.
ZERO rolling along the edge and it never "needed" to be resharpened over the two days. Came with an above average working edge which I used until i got bored of it. Sharpened it up a bit more with a slightly serrated knife steel, but found that the belly of the knife was cutting into my steel due to hardness. A bit of emery paper sorted that out and got it pretty damn sharp, but I didn't have my lansky kit on me to get it crazy sharp. I don't doubt it could get there and stay there for quite a while.
Bottle opener is a tad dangerous, but it's dangerous in an awesome kind of way.
Fit and finish was glorious. A few scratches near where the blade joins the guard, but that's just some wobbles to be expected the first time the kamis have made a knife like this. Satin Blade finish is top notch, non reflective, sturdy and easy to maintain. Even though I exposed the high carbon blade to a lot of citric acid, it has not rusted and has only gained a mild darkening of the blade near the belly. This looks a bit like blood spatters and is awesome.

BUT IF IT'S SO PERFECT THEN WHY ISN'T IT IN PRODUCTION YET FUGGLESBYYYYYY???!!!!!1!
Because it's not quite perfect yet. the skull crusher pommel had been forged thinner for balance, but this has left it looking a little flimsy. Production scourges will be full thickness through the tang, with holes drilled in tang at points to lighten it instead.
The sheath is a little bit loose, once again understandable for a new blade shape, but the wooden blocks aren't joined well enough for my liking which could lead to the point going out the side on entry. Production Scourges will have their blocks flush with each other and be glued to make sure. They'll also maybe have a stainless shath cap instead of brass. There's no brass on the rest of the knife and it looks a bit out of place.
The handle contours are barely even there. This leads to the whole handle feeling a bit off and overly large in the hand. Production scourges will be properly contoured so the handle interfaces with the human hand as designed and as sexily as possible.
Finally, Production Scourges will be 8mm thick instead of 10mm thick. The thickness it's at now isn't overly bad at all. However, the handle is designed for three grips, a hammer grip up to the guard being less front heavy and for combat, a pommel biased hammer grip being very front heavy for heavy chopping and a relaxed intermediate grip for regular chopping and big swings in combat. Right now the extra weight messes this up, with the guard biased hammer grip being for general chopping and with the pommel biased hammer grip being reserved for bodybuilders/giants. A thinner blade will correct this, give better agility in combat and will increase cutting performance for everything but splitting logs.

My full list of exacting recommendations is with saroj right now and he's working feverishly away at getting them all in place so it's perfect before they hit the market.
No videos of the above feats unfortunately, I simply didn't have time on my short little trip back to the old hometown of Albury.
I have however organised a video test and review with none other than ZombieGoBOOM, which is fully super crazy awesome.

For those who aren't familiar with these guys, they're a group of friends who test out various popular store-bought weapons and of course improvised weapons on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ZombieGoBoomTV/videos
Think if it like infotainment! You learn about the science of how a plank of wood, wrapped in chains and set on fire affects the human skull, while being entertained by watching a flaming, chain wrapped plank of wood explode a human skull!
I'm a huge fan and though the show has had a bit of a shakeup with a new host, the ballistics skull analogues are just getting better and better and that's what it's all about.
You can find those guys here.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ZombieGoBoomTV/videos

The video should be up in a few weeks, but in the meantime I'll leave you guys with some arty shots I took of me and the knife hanging out at an abandoned industrial estate which will replace the wacky coffee mug and plastics handcuffs one on the KHHI site right now. http://www.thekhukurihouse.com/catalog/ ... 3937f65111

Finally, I did have the time to take a photo of a skull being split in two just before sunset.
Note that it is merely a lowly sheep skull, leaving me outdone by the badarse coyote (?) skull Stormcrow used in his most recent Zombie Cleaver.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:10 am 

In the first picture I posted you can see the streaky blood looking patina. All these photos were taken after all the abuse mentioned, it should be kept in mind. The knife does not come with sick scratches on the blade by default. You have to put those on yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:46 am 

Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else
I remember seeing your original thread about this. I think the design turned out great, love the way it looks and it sounds like it's a hell of a zombie-killin' blade.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:56 am 

Thanks a bunch :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:00 am 

that really look AWESOME !!

i think i will get one before the summer (if my wallet let me do it )

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:48 am 

Yay! Let me know what you think of it once you get your hands on it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:22 pm 

This thing is growing on me, might have to start saving up my meager pennies for it after all.

-urban

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:25 am 

Thankyou, I assure you that the pennies will go to a good home :)
As an additional thing that I've suggested be changed, the knife point will be hardened a little bit more. I stabbed through a book into a carpet recently and upon going through the carpet and hitting whatever hard surface was underneath it rolled quite a bit, too much for my liking.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:14 pm 

Good deal! Video will be awesome. :)

Yep, it was a coyote skull in the background on my zombie meat cleaver. We lost the one with the bullet hole in it, unfortunately. :(

Don't harden the tip too much. Harder is also more brittle. I'd rather come down on the side of the tip rolling a bit rather than snapping off altogether. But if it rolled a lot, then hardening it more (or tempering it less) will help.

Forged blades: http://www.helmforge.com

Stock removal blades: http://www.helmgrind.com

The Wasteland Crow Project: http://wastelandcrow.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:25 am 

Yeah, the way I see it is that the point has a lot of beef behind it so it shouldn't snap that easily when hardened up a bit more.
I'm not quite sure how they actually go about their differential hardening. I must get tot he bottom of it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:59 pm 

After a lot of research it seems that they differentially harden the knife by pouring water onto the edge with a teapot, with more flow where they want the knife to cool quicker. Pretty awesome and means that changing the heat treat a little bit shouldn't be an issue.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:43 pm 

That's the traditional way over there. More'n one way to skin a cat or differentially heat treat a blade. :) Essentially, they'll make sure the tip gets a bit more water.

Beef only goes so far on hardened steel when it comes to brittleness, but they know what they're doing and should be able to bring the tip's hardness where it needs to be, no prob.

Forged blades: http://www.helmforge.com

Stock removal blades: http://www.helmgrind.com

The Wasteland Crow Project: http://wastelandcrow.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:58 pm 

Hi, when will this knife be available? I'm really interested in purchasing one of these. It's looks freakin awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:14 am 

Thankyou for the kind words on my design!
The knife is available for preorder right now, which will get you to the front of the line for who gets a knife as soon as the scourge goes into production. As for a production date, it's really difficult to say right now. Currently Saroj (the head of KHHI) and I are finding a compromise in the blade design which will go into final production based on all teh feedback I listed above. Let's just say it's taking longer than it should :P
If I was forced to give a date I'd say it would be available in about ten days time. Don't go quoting me on that though!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:07 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Location: Worcester in the rolling green countryside.. or up to my eyes and ears in sand and dust..
Hey Fugglesby... got mine the other day and its fantastic.. unfortunately I haven't been able to test like you have ... yet ... as I'm over in the Sandpit at work... however she'll get a good workout when I get home... I've put my pics up on the other thread you had, the original, for all to see, along with a few comments.

Thanks again to you and Saroj !

'Paws.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:35 am 

hey there paws. sorry for not getting back to you sooner, there's been a bit of a slip up with the knife and I've been frantically trying to get that sorted.
I saw the pics of your knife, it looks great. The Finish is visibly better just from your photos and I'm super glad yours doesn't have the scratch marks near the bolster that mine does, I'm over the moon that you're happy with it.

The slip up with the knife stuff that I've been trying to fix is that Saroj went into full production on the knife without telling me. Not that big of an issue in itself, but he made them almost exactly the same as the prototype and even started shipping some of them out, which is one of the ones you've got in your hot little hands right now.
The next batch of knives will be the 8mm version with more accentuated palm swells and a thicker skull crusher, but I"m worried that there's some people who have bought a knife expecting an 8mm version and have gotten a 10mm version. Emails are going to be sent out to people who've already bought one to see if they'd like an exchange, which is why I'm really relieved that you're happy with the knife you've got.
As for the 10mm knife blanks that they've already got made, we're not sure what we're gunna do with them. Maybe sell both 8mm and 10mm versions on the website, or maybe adapt the 10mm blanks to being another version of the scourge. The one I have in mind has the integral guard shortened so it can handle buffalo horn handle scales.
I did a photoshop mock up of it to give saroj an idea of what I'm thinking, with a black and silver sheath to go with.

Might not happen, just an idea. But I'm really happy that you like your knife, I was very worried that this whole project might've been buggered. If you get a chance to smash some stuff up, let me know about it.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:29 pm 

Beautiful. If I buy another knife my husband will be upset. Maybe if I talk to my son for a mother's day present. I have dealt with this company before and they are excellent to work with. There is a thrill realizing the package is from Katmandu. I showed my marketing professor husband the package....

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:47 pm 

Talk about an awesome mother's day present!
There is something especially lovely about opening one of their packages, wrapped up in humble looking brown paper with twine wrapped around it and with SCOURGE handwritten rather crudely on the package with charcoal. Very beautiful and very special.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:32 pm 

Do you think you could improve the hand guard a little to protect more for better stabbing protection or to be able to parry ?

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:18 pm 

I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean. Protection from stabbing or during stabbing?
Can you give me a bit more information?

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:07 am 

I mean during stabbing to ensure that your hand will not slip on the blade while stabbing

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:28 am 

Haha okay, I thought you meant integrating a sword catcher or something into the design.
You don't need to worry about your hand slipping up onto the blade, trust me. Once you hold it in your hand you realise that if you're in a thrust your hand will just wedge up into the guard, it's a lot bigger than it looks.
As for a larger hand guard for parrying and whatnot, one of my designs that I produced at the very start of all this business had sword catchers on both sides of the blade and a full hand guard which Saroj showed some interest in. Not sure if that'd go into production, but a project with a full hand guard is next up as soon as saroj has had a bit of a break.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:42 am 

Ok then, thank a lot

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:57 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

May I suggest a test of the spine serrations, to see whether they're good for anything? Everything else looks great!