The ZS collaborative Fixed Blade Recommendation Thread

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

boskone

Re: Firearms CHAT: [insert chat title here]

Post by boskone » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:44 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:47 pm
It's hard to beat the value of a Mora. Does stainless work with fire steel? I have tried a Mora in the past for lighting a fire with fire steel and wasn't able to get a spark. Now this was one of the cheap Moras and it's possible they use a different steel than their more expensive models.

Not that you listed that as one of your requirements, but it reminded me of a time I tried a Mora for that and had to switch to a knife with a carbon steel blade.
I have a Mora fireknife; basically a Mora with a ferrocerium rod in the handle. It throws sparks just fine.

Maybe the edges of the spine were rounded? My Mora has really sharp corners, where my Gerber has chamfered or softened edges and doesn't throw sparks. I've seen people complain about that, and grind the spine to sharpen those edges. I think I've seen people also add jimping to throw sparks better (as well as it's normal use), but can't truly remember.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Re: Q

Post by NT2C » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:10 pm

boskone wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:39 pm
NT2C wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:34 pm
boskone wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:25 am
I need to pick up a good, heavy-duty fixed blade or two. I have 3, but not a good solid general-purpose one; something capable of chopping, skinning, batoning, etc.

Maybe something along the lines of a Gerber Strongarm. I need to poke around maybe Knife HQ and whatever Academy's got, and see if I can find something I like.
Sounds like you're looking for a Mora to me.

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Allroun ... 55&sr=8-38

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Garberg ... 155&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Garberg ... 155&sr=8-3
I'm on my second. It's a great light knife, but I've broken one. It'd be my pick for a GHB and maybe a backup for a more extended pack, but looking for something up to more demanding uses.

I have a Gerber Freeman (emergency buy), and the blade shape's OK but maybe an inch short. Everything else is bad, though; the handle's too thin and narrow for my preference, and the sheath's awful in pretty much every way. I've been tossing around the idea of making a wood shoe to replace the handle, but then I'd just have to replace the sheath anyway; dunno if it'd really be worth it versus buying something closer to reqs.
Mora will replace the one you broke, free, for life. There's also different grades of Moras, some a lot heavier duty than others.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:13 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:10 pm
Mora will replace the one you broke, free, for life. There's also different grades of Moras, some a lot heavier duty than others.
Huh...I probably shouldn't've just gotten annoyed and yeeted it into the pasture, then.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:19 pm

boskone wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:13 pm
NT2C wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:10 pm
Huh...I probably shouldn't've just gotten annoyed and yeeted it into the pasture, then.
On the subject of Moras, I keep a pair of them in each vehicle. Both are stainless and one is serrated. It gives me whichever edge might serve my needs best at the time, be it skinning game or making short work of cutting a pair of sandals soles from a tire sidewall.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: The ZS collaborative Fixed Blade Recommendation Thread

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:18 pm

I want one of the newer full tang Moras, but I'm not sure if I want to spend 80 bucks on one. They may have come down in price in the last couple years, though.

I do know they were going for a pretty high price when they first came out, which kind of put me off of getting one.

I also still want a Benchmade folder since the only sort of "high end" knives I own are a couple of Spyderco's budget models (I've got a pair of Tenacious' and a Resilience I picked up from Walmart).

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:12 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:18 pm
I want one of the newer full tang Moras, but I'm not sure if I want to spend 80 bucks on one. They may have come down in price in the last couple years, though.

I do know they were going for a pretty high price when they first came out, which kind of put me off of getting one.

I also still want a Benchmade folder since the only sort of "high end" knives I own are a couple of Spyderco's budget models (I've got a pair of Tenacious' and a Resilience I picked up from Walmart).
They still start around $80 on Amazon. You could buy just the blade and make your own handle though.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:26 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Depending on what you want out of it, I'd check out Kizer. They're a Chinese brand, but bang-for-buck I've really liked the two I have.

Tight lockup, firm hold when closed, good blade alignment open and closed, and VG-10 blades. I keep eyeing their Mini Sheepdog design...because I totally need another pocketknife. :roll: :lol:

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:45 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:12 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

They still start around $80 on Amazon. You could buy just the blade and make your own handle though.
Yeah, I don't have the best track record on making my own knife handles.

Case in point, I still have a Tramontina bowie knife I've been meaning to put new handle on for the past seven years. It's currently sitting in my nightstand drawer with no handle on it and likely will for the foreseeable future.
boskone wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:26 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Depending on what you want out of it, I'd check out Kizer. They're a Chinese brand, but bang-for-buck I've really liked the two I have.

Tight lockup, firm hold when closed, good blade alignment open and closed, and VG-10 blades. I keep eyeing their Mini Sheepdog design...because I totally need another pocketknife. :roll: :lol:
I keep seeing their stuff on Amazon, but I've never done much research on them. I'll have to take a closer look now.

Return to “Other Weapons”