What blades (and other weapons) are legal in NY and NYC? Leatherman?

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

What blades (and other weapons) are legal in NY and NYC? Leatherman?

Post by moab » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:14 pm

My sons going to college about a half hour outside NYC. His schools website says they simply follow NY state law. So I've been looking at laws there. And all I can find is that you can have a knife that is less than 2.75 inches. As long as it's not a switchblade, gravity blade etc. etc. Would this mean that a Leatherman with a blade less than 2.75 inches would be ok? I'm putting together a tool kit/first aid kit/survival kit. And would like to include a smaller bladed leatherman. And how much trouble would he get into if he carried say an original Leatherman (pretty small with a less than 2.75 blade) in his pocket in NYC? Not that he will. Probably not cool. lol. But I'm going to include it in his "tool bag" for keeping in his dorm room. As long as it's legal. I'm not even entertaining a normal pocket knife. I assume he'd get in trouble with that? I just figured if it was on a leatherman it wouldn't look so sinister.

Also what about pepper spray? Any limits to that? What's the best to buy if that's ok to carry?

Any other legal weapons I'm not thinking about?

Any help greatly appreciated.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

jor-el

Re: What blades (and other weapons) are legal in NY and NYC? Leatherman?

Post by jor-el » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:08 pm

Considering this is the state whose governor is trying to ban or disallow the NRA in any form, and is the only state I know that bans machetes if used as a weapon, I can't say with certainty that any formal weapon other than a proper pistol with ammo is an acceptable weapon in the eyes of New York's AG.

Pepper spray is legal for use but only animal versions are legal for mail order. Only firearms dealers/pharmacists can sell at all.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Erianerson

Post by Erianerson » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:50 pm

Living in NYC since 1988. Honestly, things have gotten a bit better since 2013. But not by a huge amount. Want to carry a knife? Get a medium sized Swiss Army knife without a locking main blade. Carry it concealed. Or, carry a multi-tool in which the blades cannot be accessed from the outside of the handles. Sadly, those are your only legal options.

moab

Post by moab » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:34 am

Erianerson wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:50 pm
Living in NYC since 1988. Honestly, things have gotten a bit better since 2013. But not by a huge amount. Want to carry a knife? Get a medium sized Swiss Army knife without a locking main blade. Carry it concealed. Or, carry a multi-tool in which the blades cannot be accessed from the outside of the handles. Sadly, those are your only legal options.
Thank you.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:33 am

moab wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:34 am
Erianerson wrote:
Thank you.
I think most of the Leatherman models work like that. Think the Gerber Multi-tool requires opening up the handles to access the non-locking blades.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

moab

Post by moab » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:33 pm

jor-el wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:33 am
moab wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:34 am
Erianerson wrote:
Thank you.
I think most of the Leatherman models work like that. Think the Gerber Multi-tool requires opening up the handles to access the non-locking blades.
The surge and the original pst have knives on the inside. Surge might lock up tho. I have a pst i could send with him. You know they have a new version of the pst and its $274 msrp?! I wonder how much an original ones worth?

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:38 pm

Is that with the blades on the inside when the pliers are open, or when the pliers are closed?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

moab

Post by moab » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:24 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:38 pm
Is that with the blades on the inside when the pliers are open, or when the pliers are closed?
I would think it means blades can open with the pliers closed. Most models you can open a blade right from the outside of the closed multi tool. But the old original PST didn't. It was inside. As is the surge i think. Gotta open mine.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:18 pm

There's a bit of variation there. I have a pair of Gerbers, one big, one small, that are opposite from each other. I have a SOG that the pliers flip out from so the handles never change.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

moab

Post by moab » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:47 pm

I stand corrected. The Surge opens from the pliers closed position too. So the PST is the only one that has a knife inside and not outside. Luckily a friend of mine gave me a PST. After finding out I lost my Leatherman with the pate knife and wine bottle opener. I forget the name. But they are slightly rare and expensive to replace. HIs original one is nice though. Cool to see how it all started.

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:14 pm

Erianerson wrote:
In which case get a SOG or a Gerber and just shank the guy with the needle nose pliers.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:26 pm

Screwdriver and wasp spray?
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:04 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:26 pm
Screwdriver will get you shot by guys named Bernie in NYC.

(Oddly, I actually know the guy IRL. He worked at Madison Square Garden at the same time I did, which is where I met him, and I spent a lot of my years growing up in and around where he lived. Oh, and we have exactly the same first name.)

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:10 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:04 pm
woodsghost wrote:

(Oddly, I actually know the guy IRL. He worked at Madison Square Garden at the same time I did, which is where I met him, and I spent a lot of my years growing up in and around where he lived. Oh, and we have exactly the same first name.)
N T ?
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:15 pm

flybynight wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:10 pm
NT2C wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

N T ?
Huh?

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:48 pm

NT2C wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

Something must be going over my head. It seems the key to avoiding guys named Bernie G. is "not getting 3 of your friends together to go menace subway riders?"

*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:22 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:15 pm
flybynight wrote:
NT2C wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

N T ?
Huh?
First name ? NT ?
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:38 pm

flybynight wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:22 pm
NT2C wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:15 pm
flybynight wrote:
NT2C wrote:

N T ?
Huh?
First name ? NT ?
I knew I should have made that pot of coffee after dinner... :lol:

moab

Post by moab » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:39 pm

So I'm going with a Leatherman PST (Personal Survival Tool - this is the original leatherman.) no lock mechanisms on the blade or anywhere else. Just under 2.75 blade length. (NY legal is 2.75 and some change.)It's only going in his tiny survival kit I'm adding in to his First Aid kit. Not for carrying around NY or NYC. I also have a Victorinox but the Leatherman is much more functional.

Return to “Other Weapons”