Credit/Debit Card Fraud

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Braums
Favorite Zombie Movies: Orig. Dawn of the Dead, Gangs of the Dead

Credit/Debit Card Fraud

Post by Braums » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:20 pm

Today was an example of why we prep for all types of emergencies.

After leaving a client's this afternoon, my wife got a call from our bank that her debit card had suspicious charges. She calls right away (bank and credit card company numbers are in both our phones) and apparently +$1100.00 in purchases had been made in by thieves in CT and SC today, over-drafting our general account. Long story short, pending charges not made by her will be declined and maybe in 3 days we might our money back. Card's cancelled and we are checking both credit reports, monitoring the accounts, etc.

Thankfully we keep accounts at another bank as well, and have been listening to our financial advisor friend to keep savings at a certain level and watching our budget (and keeping the "Oh Sh_t" fund at a reasonable amount). So, at the end of the day, the rent check still got dropped off with funds to back it, food is in the pantry, and the lights will stay on until the bank decides to refund our money. We are pissed off and frustrated but we are not panicking.

NachoGummyBear

Re: Credit/Debit Card Fraud

Post by NachoGummyBear » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:05 am

Had a restaurant here that once had an employee taking pictures of credit cards with her smartphone.
Just recently had a rash a identity theft, a few of my buddies got taken for 1,100 and 1,700 respectively.
That's why I pay with cash...
Marlin .22
Walther PK380
Kel-Tec Sub-2000 (Glock 22 model)
Savage Axis
Taurus 24/7 Gen 2 9mm
More to come...

cv66er
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Being originally from Butler County in Pennsylvania...

Post by cv66er » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:16 am

The wife just got nailed for a few hundred, and my bank, out-of-the-blue replaced my cards. There must have been a major hack recently. Someone got a lot of card info, and is trying to milk us for all they can before cards get cancelled.

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:35 am

Also got hit couple of weeks ago. CC people called and notified me.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:20 am

OP - thanks for sharing.

Another good reason to NOT have a debit card. We don't eat out all that much, but if a beanery has to take the CC away (out of sight) to make the charge, we pay cash.

We have a single CC and scour the invoice each month looking for anything out of place - a lot of folks don't.

Glad to hear you have spread your risk & were able to get by.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Braums

Post by Braums » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:43 pm

Both my wife and I have been burned before by roommates, ex-SO's etc so we watch our accounts religiously. Most banks are set up to email you or text you alerts with updated balances or if your account falls below a certain amount. That feature helps a lot.

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:35 pm

This also just happened to me maybe a month ago.. I buy a lot of crap online, but this is only the second time I've ever had someone try to steal my card#. My bank is awesome and they call me when they see something fraudulent, as well as refund the money immediately and refund any NSF charges that happen while the money is out. This time they tried to book an airplane ticket in Norway or Sweden..
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

fourxfour

Credit/Debit Card Fraud

Post by fourxfour » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:33 am

It's really picking up again. We have caught quite a few guys using visa or similar gift cards that were reprogrammed with random BINs (basically credit card routing numbers). They used to be easy to spot. Some guy will have about 100 gift cards and would swipe them at a register until they found one that works. Once they found one, they go nuts buying stuff.

About 10 years ago when I worked Loss Prevention, host credit cards were thousands of dollars. Now you can shoplift them at Safeway. You don't even need to alter the card and put a name on it.

fourxfour

Credit/Debit Card Fraud

Post by fourxfour » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:34 am

By the way, it happened to me last week. $800 charged for online purchases.

Braums

Post by Braums » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:21 am

Just a followup. After getting the money refunded and my wife getting her new card, I got the call today that LEO's had found that my card number and several others were compromised. Looks like I get a new card also. While on the phone with them I re-confirmed that my daily spending limit was where I wanted it to be and not where the bank arbitrarily placed it. Watch your accounts folks, it's getting bad.

ais4122
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by ais4122 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:39 am

This crime is about as common as jaywalking.
Aim small, Miss small

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=30558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:48 pm

It happened to me in Thailand last February but I got lucky and was able to shut it off and was reimbursed by my bank.
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

williaty

Post by williaty » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:17 am

One of the things we've noticed with other people around here is that my wife's employer was compromised about 13 months ago. That's roughly 75,000 people, BTW. Basically all of whom used their personal debit or credit cards to pay for parking, lunch, scrubs, etc. Anyway, after the break in, they gave all the employees a free year of credit-lock-thing-whos-name-I-can't-remember. Basically, you got free credit monitoring, free reports whenever you looked, and no changes to the lines of credit could me made without direct confirmation from you. Note the timing. 13 months. That stuff just expired and credit and debit card fraud has just EXPLODED among the workers in the last couple of weeks.

So, we've made a couple of changes. First, we tried to get the bank to make our ATM/debit card just an ATM card. They won't do it anymore, as it turns out. So we were able to have our daily limit set to $1. Second, the ATM/debit card stays at home now unless we're going to the bank to withdraw cash. Turns out, it's not as big of an adjustment to plan around that as we feared it might be. Third, any time we want to pay for something that isn't doable with cash, we use a credit card instead. Which in turn is paid off every month via wire transfer from our bank. The reasoning for all this is that our debit protection from this bank is pretty shitty. Basically, they could empty our account, which then automatically empties our savings account, then the bank would freeze our account, and in 30 days, we'd get our money back if an investigation concluded the charges were fraudulent. If, however, we missed the fraudulent activity for 30 days, we were stuck with it. In the meantime, all that money would be gone and normal bills wouldn't autopay. Contrast that to the credit card from the same bank where they're very proactive about fraud. If they or we notice something suspicious, the card is locked down and no charges can be made against it nor are payments required to it until they resolve the issue. In other words, due to the structure of the two cards, it's a lot safer for us to "risk" the credit card by taking it out of the house than it is the debit.

Now, this doesn't help much if the criminals compromise a bank, lender, card processor, major merchant, etc. Which, actually, is how this usually happens. Identity theft is wholesale, not retail. But, as we update our billing information with those companies to the credit card, we stop exposing the debit to them. We've also had the account info on the debit changed for those companies who would keep the account info even after we told them to get rid of it.

Kiwi Bowhunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series...Well, pretty much all of them!

Post by Kiwi Bowhunter » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:26 am

I pay a lot with cash,
Where I have money invested for a good return, it's in a term-deposit account with no cards, needing to be co-signed by both myself, and my father.
In a pinch my Uncle(Dad's brother) is set up to be able to veto one of us incase of injury, death, etc.
Uncle is a retired forensic accountant, and was able to retire early coz he is good at what he does.

My day-to-day account has bare-minimum funding in it(mainly coz I'm a broke student :crazy: ), and even then when my 2 pays come in(Tuesday, and Thursday), Tuesday is usually withdrawn fully in cash, and Thursday goes on bills and preps. Cash becomes petrol money, food, expenses.

If someone got into my account right now they'd have access to a grand total of $37.00 :rofl:

In a few hours though, when it turns over midnight, that'll go up $160, which will be coming out so I can go buy a few bricks of .22LR tomorrow after my final exam :clap:

Cheers,
Sean.
I'd rather have it, and not need it, than need it, and not have it!

razi

Post by razi » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:28 pm

mint.com will send you email notifications for large purchases, too.

greenbeetle
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by greenbeetle » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:21 pm

My card was used, probably by someone at a drive-through, to buy about $80 worth of iphone app in-game credits for something like farmville according to my rep. Card was replaced. Same thing happened one month later on new card. Pretty sure I know which restaurant.

We process cards on our site and get about 3-5 fraudulent purchases per month (of the ones that go through, we get MANY more attempts than that which are denied). When we call the card owners to let them know some are thankful and some think we're trying to scam them and hang up.

When we call the cc companies to report the suspicious activity we are put on hold for 5-25 minutes (i've timed this...) and then have to have certain information about the charges and credit card that is only available from our processor which is only available 2-4 days after the card is run and which means another 5-10 minutes on hold with our processor people. So basically when you're a merchant it takes 10-35 minutes to properly report suspicious cc activity but only 2-4 days after it happens.

But yes, it is RAMPANT.

Resolute
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Resolute » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:30 pm

I got nailed too. Amex called me up very quickly, and reversed the charges. Someone bought a few Match.com memberships with my card.

A day or two later I got a letter in the mail from an online vendor of outdoor supplies (forgot who it was) that said their computers were compromised and a bunch of people's info could have been leaked. They also said those credit card numbers were given to the credit card companies so they could be put on a watchlist. I thought that was interesting.

It seems like the safest thing to do is to pay only with cash, but that's just not convenient when I have to fill up with gas 3 times a week (650 miles a week), and maintain a good credit rating. What's a guy to do? :cry:

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:45 pm

Resolute wrote:It seems like the safest thing to do is to pay only with cash, but that's just not convenient when I have to fill up with gas 3 times a week (650 miles a week), and maintain a good credit rating. What's a guy to do? :cry:
Actually, credit cards are my way to go - I just don't use the debit card at anything but the ATM.

If my debit card is used fraudulently, that's my money gone, and my bank might graciously restore it to me or not at their judgement and in a timeframe of their choosing. Not Good.

If my credit card is used fraudulently, my liability is limited to $50 and most CC companies won't even charge that. (Mine didn't when this happened. They cancelled the charges and mailed me new cards.) Even if there's a dispute about whether a charge is fraudulent, the $ hasn't left my account and I have a lot of options to dispute the charge and not give the CC company my grocery money in the mean time.

Use good sense and protect your credit cards too - the losses to theft get spread around to us all somehow - but it's just not as dangerous to the personal finances as having a debit card stolen/used fraudulently.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

EatenAlive
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, Land of the Dead

Post by EatenAlive » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:33 pm

I've noticed a recent surge in fraud emails, too. In the last few months, I've been getting a lot of phishing emails that look pretty close to PayPal and my bank's actual emails.

A must-follow rule: Never click on an email link that says you must update your information. Most banks, PayPal, and other legitimate companies deliberately do NOT put links in emails so customers can tell when it's fraud. Also be sure to look for "https" instead of "http" when inputting credit card or financial information in on a website.

westside01

Post by westside01 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:23 pm

A good rule of thumb is to only use your ATM at your specific bank that issued it. Never, ever use an ATM for purchases, especially at gas stations or the "Mom and Pop" grocery stores that use the portable card readers. These card readers are rountinely compromised and essentially function as a "Skimmer" that collects your account number and PIN.

Remember the motto of all identity thieves, "Low risk, High Return." The police don't have the time nor resources to investigate the low dollar scammers, and the banks and credit card companies simply absorb and pass on the loss to their customers by increasing the interest rates a tenth of a point.

Miller

Post by Miller » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:11 pm

After a visit to London, I found fradulant charges for mobile phone top-ups on my card. My bank were quick to deal with this when notified, sending me a new card and returning the money after a quick investigation. I now use a credit card when purchasing online or out and about, due to it being the bank's money and not my own, and otherwise try to pay with Cash and get money out inside my local branch. Not only is it more secure, but it helps build up a relationship with the people in the bank.

Cpt_Jack

Post by Cpt_Jack » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:20 pm

CC details and other such data sell for a few dollars online, it is as has been said a huge industry. It tends to go two ways; the criminal will make massive purchases to try their luck and hope they get away with it or the smarter way I am seeing more now where criminals make very small purchases that you won't notice.

The thing is to check your bills constantly. Most banks have online banking, my bank lets me do it on my phone. Thus I can check almost instantly (the charge normally comes through in minutes) any time I make a purchase, confirm that the correct amount was deducted and so on. I have also tried to make a habit of opening my account history every day to see if anything has changed.

Another way of course is to have two accounts; your savings account and your spending account. Only your spending account has a card you use and you keep only just enough cash in it for purchases so if that account is compromised you will only lose a smaller amount. Again, with online banking and instant transfers between accounts you can send money from savings to spending whenever you need to make a purchase, plus may banks have better rates on dedicated saving accounts. Your bank might ask questions to begin with but it's your money to look after!

It is a damn pain in the arse but not as bad as having thousands stolen. Sadly very few people can be bothered to put the effort in... hence the problem will just get worse.

Cpt_Jack

Post by Cpt_Jack » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:23 pm

EatenAlive wrote:I've noticed a recent surge in fraud emails, too. In the last few months, I've been getting a lot of phishing emails that look pretty close to PayPal and my bank's actual emails.

A must-follow rule: Never click on an email link that says you must update your information. Most banks, PayPal, and other legitimate companies deliberately do NOT put links in emails so customers can tell when it's fraud. Also be sure to look for "https" instead of "http" when inputting credit card or financial information in on a website.
Yep, phishing is on the rise again. It is a rather well known syndicate making a push this time; you'll notice sudden bursts of activity from time to time as a major email provider is compromised or a gang steals a large number of addresses/data.

But yeah, never click the links, no genuine bank ever asks you for data. Again... people need to be so much more careful online.

A.C.E.
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Resident Evil

Post by A.C.E. » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:45 am

I read today in the newspaper that skimming has almost disappeared in Sweden since the banks started using cards with a chip on it instead of the normal magnetic strip. Apparently it dropped from over 200 a few years ago to 10 in 2011. There has not been one case where it's been proven that the chip has been copied. (In Sweden)

My debit card has something called "verified by Visa" where I'm asked for a password whenever paying online with it. It's also possible to set up single use card numbers for use online, where you select an amount of money and the system generates a CC number that is only good for that amount. I've never tried it though.

Sent from my MK16i using Tapatalk
My FAK
Cold Weather
Propane Forge
ZS #0091

I'm Swedish, there is no known cure.
sealegs wrote:I make it my business to never be caught w. my pants down, and IF I am, then the size of my junk and the fortitude of my stones will give me the initiative by sheer intimidation alone. :lol:

Return to “Survival Experiences”