It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:25 am 

elektrik wrote:
In the morning when труповозка will take away the robber, you are waited by difficult house cleaning from a powder from the fire extinguisher.

note to self: труповозка = Police/Policia/Polizei?

Полицейский инструктировал меня, что если убьеш грабителя у себя дома то надо вложить ему в руку нож или иное орудие преступления до того как пришли полицейские, иначе могут самого хозяина дома посадить за убийство.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:39 am 

note to self: труповозка = Police/Policia/Polizei? труповозка - the car on which take away in a body mortuary

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:12 am 

elektrik wrote:
Einher wrote:
труповозка - the car on which take away in a body mortuary

You know, after my first post I googled труповозка and got mostly images of dismembered bodies, some vehicles (mostly vans), and what I assumed was a heavy metal music band.

From the phrasing I imagined the word meant either police/enforcement, detectives/investigators, or coroner/medical examiner.

"Coroner Transport" or a "Hearse" is probably the best translation of труповозка in this instance.

Thank you for the clarification;

Полицейский инструктировал меня, что если убьеш грабителя у себя дома то надо вложить ему в руку нож или иное орудие преступления до того как пришли полицейские, иначе могут самого хозяина дома посадить за убийство.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:41 am 

Einher wrote:
elektrik wrote:
Einher wrote:

"Coroner Transport" or a "Hearse" is probably the best translation of труповозка in this instance.

I Russian, transport English with онлан the translator and you prailno understood "catafalque" the correct option, it is forbidden by the law to store the house weapon in Russia simply so, it should be in the safe and if kill the robber that can to plant for exceeded a measure of necessary defense, the bad law.
The policeman instructed me that if will kill the robber at home that it is necessary to enclose to it in a hand a knife or other tool of a crime before policemen came, differently can plant the host for murder.

ru
Я русский, английский перевожу с онлан переводчиком, да вы праилно поняли "катафалк" правильный вариант, в России запрещено законом хранить оружие дома просто так, оно должно быть в сейфе, а если убить грабителя то самого могут посадить за превысил меру необходимой обороны, плохой закон.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:57 am 

elektrik wrote:
Einher wrote:
elektrik wrote:
Einher wrote:

I Russian, transport English with онлан the translator and you prailno understood "catafalque" the correct option, it is forbidden by the law to store the house weapon in Russia simply so, it should be in the safe and if kill the robber that can to plant for exceeded a measure of necessary defense, the bad law.
The policeman instructed me that if will kill the robber at home that it is necessary to enclose to it in a hand a knife or other tool of a crime before policemen came, differently can plant the host for murder.

ru
Я русский, английский перевожу с онлан переводчиком, да вы праилно поняли "катафалк" правильный вариант, в России запрещено законом хранить оружие дома просто так, оно должно быть в сейфе, а если убить грабителя то самого могут посадить за превысил меру необходимой обороны, плохой закон.

I understand, and thank you for adding the personal perspective from your region in the world to this thread.

The laws and ways of other countries are infinitely fascinating.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:04 am 

Einher
it is glad, to communicate :D

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:33 am 

I had fun using different translator software on the cyrillic text you posted, Elektrik, to see how differently each program handled it.

I have fire extinguishers in my house, and have practiced using them to out out fires, but they are for fire not self defense.
If it did come down to it, I guess I could spray a bad guy's face with the extinguisher, then hit his head with it, like you said.

Most places in the US don't have laws about how you store your guns, and if I'm home I keep a long gun accessible. I just don't think it's a great idea to leave it accessible when I'm not home.

I'm lucky that in my state, right now, the law allows for me to use firearms for self defense in any circumstance where a "reasonable person" would think use of a firearm was necessary to protect his or her life. Courts can argue over what is or is not actually reasonable, but I'm confident that I'll never have to plant evidence (which is a serious crime) on a home invader to justify my use of a weapon. If he isn't really a threat, I won't shoot.

ETA: Here is the first part of my post, translated from English to Russian by Babylon 9 software, then translated back from Russian to English using the same software.

Quote:
I have had the pleasure to the use of the various translator software with Cyrillic text, which you are placed in, to determine the way in each program. I would like to fire extinguishers at my house, and have already practiced using them for the implementation of the fires, but they are for the fire is not self-defense. If it does not come down to it, I think, i could spray a bad guy, are faced with a fire extinguisher, and then press his head with it, as you said.

Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:14 pm 

The big question I need answered is, how in the HELL DO YOU FORGET YOUR GUN. Now thats just dumb. Thats like leaving the house and forgeting to put pants on, makes no sense.

Before I leave the house its wallet, watch, keys, strap lets ride.

I sleep with pistol under the matress. I use to keep under pillow (lil .25). But the smitty is just to big.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:24 pm 

I just think its an all around bad idea. I too have kids and despite their firearms safety education, it's too tempting to be within reach of the young ones.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:08 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

dizie wrote:
The big question I need answered is, how in the HELL DO YOU FORGET YOUR GUN. Now thats just dumb. Thats like leaving the house and forgeting to put pants on, makes no sense.

It can be fairly easy, especially when you're thinking about several things at once. All it takes is one second of inattention. Hell, I almost stuck my G22 in the drop-box of the video store early one morning....Instead of the VHS tape I was returning. :oops:

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:53 pm 

squinty
Yes, in the USA the law correct concerning self-defense

DynaBreach
The problem of access of children to the weapon a big problem, means to store the weapon it is necessary unknown to children, a hiding place, but is quickly available to the owner.
Under a bed to paste a magnet, to suspend the weapon to a magnet, between a bed and a floor a thin place, only a hand to get to the weapon.

ru
squinty
Да, в США закон правильный в отношении самообороны

DynaBreach
Проблема доступа детей к оружию большая проблема, значит хранить оружие надо в тайне от детей, тайник, но быстро доступно для хазяина.
Под кровать, приклеить магнит, подвешивать оружие к магниту, между кроватью и полом тонкое место, только рукой проникнуть к оружию.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:07 pm 

RickOShea wrote:
dizie wrote:

It can be fairly easy, especially when you're thinking about several things at once. All it takes is one second of inattention. Hell, I almost stuck my G22 in the drop-box of the video store early one morning....Instead of the VHS tape I was returning. :oops:

Whoa, really must of been one hell of a night, and a early morning :shock:

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:54 pm 

dizie wrote:

I sleep with pistol under the matress. I use to keep under pillow (lil .25). But the smitty is just to big.

You mean you have never left the house without pants?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:19 am 

dizie wrote:

How am I supposed to leave the house with one if I don't own one?

Or do I?

And is it on me now?

While the vast majority of us is strongly in support of gun rights, some of us live where they are heavily restricted. Also, some of us own lots of firearms and some of us don't own a single one. Different strokes and all that.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:23 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

A note for the biometric safes mentioned in the previous page. Don't do it! I don't know about the technology on those little things, but I was able to unlock a biometric computer that never had my information on it. No super spy tricks, just repeatedly pressed my finger on the reader until it unlocked.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:56 pm 

Biometrics can work great...given the proper hardware and programming

One of my first jobs had a pretty good biometric system on the computers... a pizza shop of all places

I remember it took about 5 minutes to get my prints scanned... needed I believe 5-10 *GOOD* scans per finger

once that was done I was set..never logged me on as anyone else in 2 years (15 or so employees ) and never had anyone log in under me
95% of the Time it logged us in on the first try ( with flour,sauce and all kinds of crud on your hands ) second Time was always the charm

until I burned the shit out of my scanner finger men in black style...
but that's why you have program your other finger too...
my finger print. egeventually regrew :(

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:12 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Erie quiet wrote:

One of my first jobs had a pretty good biometric system on the computers... a pizza shop of all places

I remember it took about 5 minutes to get my prints scanned... needed I believe 5-10 *GOOD* scans per finger

once that was done I was set..never logged me on as anyone else in 2 years (15 or so employees ) and never had anyone log in under me
95% of the Time it logged us in on the first try ( with flour,sauce and all kinds of crud on your hands ) second Time was always the charm

Last hospital I worked at had biometric login. It would occasionally glitch and not recognize a finger (another would work) but I'm not aware that it ever logged anyone wrong, or logged an unauthorized user on.

(Also, I am pretty sure people forget their guns the way I forget my keys, wallet, mittens, coat, cell phone, etc. on a daily basis. :roll: :oops: This is something important to know about yourself, and factor in to any plans involving routine carry of firearms.)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:06 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

duodecima wrote:
Erie quiet wrote:

Last hospital I worked at had biometric login. It would occasionally glitch and not recognize a finger (another would work) but I'm not aware that it ever logged anyone wrong, or logged an unauthorized user on.

(Also, I am pretty sure people forget their guns the way I forget my keys, wallet, mittens, coat, cell phone, etc. on a daily basis. :roll: :oops: This is something important to know about yourself, and factor in to any plans involving routine carry of firearms.)
The quality of biometric readers can vary significantly from company to company and industry to industry. Laptop fingerprint readers are regarded as kinda sorta worthless by some security wonks.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:45 am 

dizie wrote:

You'd be surprised. I see people forget their canes, crutches, and even walkers at my job. Things these people need TO WALK AWAY WITH, they manage to forget somehow. One guy lost his WHEELCHAIR for an hour, because he forgot where he had parked. Spent that hour bouncing from wall to furniture and so forth as he wandered around looking for it.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:07 pm 

Wow didnt realize how many negligent people are out there!! Lil scary.

Could never leave home without firearm. Just doesnt feel right.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:50 pm 

Jeriah wrote:
Anyone who sleeps with a gun under their pillow must do a lot less late-night tossing and turning, pillow-rearranging, and late-night "wake up, you're my wife, it's your job" activities than I do. Anything I left under my pillow would be on the floor, under a blanket, or lodged behind the bed, well before morning.

Lol am I the only one who caught that?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:15 pm 

All of my firearms are either locked up or on my body. I have an 8 year old boy who, while I have taught him the basic rules of safety and who has been shooting a few times, I don't really trust with them yet.

We have dogs (who start barking long before the alarm is triggered) and a good alarm system, so I will almost certainly have some time to get to the guns. A handgun is about 10-15 seconds away from the time of hopping out of bed to gun in hand, the AR15 another 5-7 seconds on top of that. On the second floor. Pretty unlikely anyone gets to me before I get to the gun.

I ignored the dogs once. My car got broken into that time. After that I don't ignore the dogs, ever. When they bark I go for the gun, and they bark whenever someone sets foot on the property.

When the kid is older and trustworthy I will keep one out, probably, but it's probably not really necessary.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:35 pm 

I sleep with my gun in a bed side holster hanger that i got from BedSideDefense.com at night. And when I leave the house I put the gun in a safe to keep someone from stealing it when I'm not there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:50 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

RickOShea wrote:
dizie wrote:

Back in the days of candybar-shaped Nokias and belt clips for them, I once answered a magazine in a 7-11 when I grabbed for my belt with the wrong hand.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next