It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:04 am 

Takaaco78 wrote:
My question is how many people out there sleep with guns under their pillow? and why? I live pretty far out in the country and he is a city boy. My only guess is he thought a bear might break into the house and ass rape him in his sleep and therefore needed protection. Now I sleep with a Glock also but mine in in a push button pistol safe under the bed.

I do not and I do not leave firearms where I do not have direct control over them. For me, I feel that if it's not in my hand, in a hoslter on my body or laying on the night stand right next to me, it should go in a safe.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:15 am 

Takaaco78 wrote:
My question is how many people out there sleep with guns under their pillow? and why? I live pretty far out in the country and he is a city boy. My only guess is he thought a bear might break into the house and ass rape him in his sleep and therefore needed protection. Now I sleep with a Glock also but mine in in a push button pistol safe under the bed.

Sorry, I've heard too many stories about someone shooting themselves or their SO in the middle of the night by accident to think that keeping a gun under the pillow is a good idea.

Within reach of you while you sleep? Sure.
Under a pillow where you can potentially activate the trigger unconsciously? Nope.

Полицейский инструктировал меня, что если убьеш грабителя у себя дома то надо вложить ему в руку нож или иное орудие преступления до того как пришли полицейские, иначе могут самого хозяина дома посадить за убийство.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:55 am 

Sckitzo wrote:
raptor wrote:
Sckitzo wrote:
docdredd wrote:
Have I done it? Absolutely. Do I recommend it? Nope...
Same, but never at home was always someplace or situation where if I was sleeping I was sleeping lightly for a reason.
I am embarrassed to say I too have also done it for the same reason. IMO this is very dangerous, foolish and if you are some place where you have to do this, you should not be sleeping but rather walking, driving or otherwise GTFO of there or split a night watch with someone.
I should add, I do not recommend doing it, at all. I think my situation was more like docdredd, though we didn't have those fancy camelbacks, I used my shirt :lol: and the stink of that thing was enough to make sure you slept lite.

My gas mask was my go-to pillow, and I never slept with a loaded weapon while I was in, as I never went anywhere that hairy. I did catch some fitfull sleep in AZ when I wished I had brought my weapon...

I have 3 kids that can get into anything in the house, but none can rack the slide on my G35.

To me, this makes things simple: On my body? Condition 1. Off my body? Condition 3.

And no, not under a freakin pillow. NIGHTSTAND GUN goes on/in the NIGHTSTAND.

I know your buddy drives truck, and I get his reasoning, just be sure he keeps that shit in the truck. Homes have nightstands.

If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:
I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:14 am 

I have done it once out in the field, I would never recommend it. I don't move much during sleep, but even in my bivvy it did end up moving. Now, I simply holster my pistol (one in the chamber) but I put the holster in my bivvy at my side. I'm able to draw it just as quick, if not quicker due to the fact that my hands aren't visible while I grab it and a simple push on my Serpa, I'm ready to rock.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:44 pm 

I would probably sleep with a gun under the pillow with ass-raping bears around!! :?

I usually have a gun handy, just not chambered. I have camped with rifle beside my sleeping bag.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:56 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Under the pillow? No. In the bed with me, condition 3? Yes. Condition one? Less often, but yes. Would I recommend it? Sure, why not? Not my problem if you blow your nuts off.

I have routinely slept with a cond 1 pistol in a GOOD holster, and more often with a condition 3 or 1 M16/M4.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:33 pm 

Every night routine... Holstered Glock 19 out of safe, next to bed with Flashlight to back up my Streamlight TLR1 mounted on ol' Gaston. First thing done in the morning, Gaston back into his safe (I have his little brother 26 in my pants pocket).

Under the pillow.... nope. Too much action on top of the bed :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:35 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Mongo wrote:
Under the pillow.... nope. Too much action on top of the bed :mrgreen:

:lol: That brings an entirely new meaning to the term accidental discharge. :lol:

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:54 pm 

Years ago my I talked a friend of mine into making a metal plate (L shaped) that I could slide one end under my mattress (either beside the bed or at the head or foot) and attached a spare holster to it.

Shortly after that I was looking at a Dillion's (The Blue Press) catelog and saw one. They go for about $30.00 or so nowdays.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:04 pm 

Under my pillow? My gun is my pillow :twisted:

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:08 pm 

docdredd wrote:
Have I done it? Absolutely. Do I recommend it? Nope...

This^^^
One reason my fiancee (when I told her about having done it, years ago) wasn't happy about my wanting a license. I live a different life now, and don't feel the need, or see the sense, in having it THAT close to hand. I was lucky, back then, and never hurt myself or anyone else like that, and having grown up quite a bit from then, realize it now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:10 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

My "night stand" pistol is in an open Safepacker with the flap shoved between the mattress and box spring. AND there are no children about.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:13 pm 

My pillow isn't always under my head when I wake up. It gets pushed around at night. I'm not sure what part of myself I'd shoot off if I kept a pistol under the pillow.

The safepacker tucked under the mattress seems like a neat idea.

Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:28 pm 

squinty wrote:
My pillow isn't always under my head when I wake up. It gets pushed around at night. I'm not sure what part of myself I'd shoot off if I kept a pistol under the pillow.

The safepacker tucked under the mattress seems like a neat idea.

I used to keep mine in a holster fastened behind the headboard, but that's as close to my pillow as it ever gets.

Полицейский инструктировал меня, что если убьеш грабителя у себя дома то надо вложить ему в руку нож или иное орудие преступления до того как пришли полицейские, иначе могут самого хозяина дома посадить за убийство.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:15 am 

I sleep with my 9mil in a holster at the head of my bed right where my head is at on a magazine stand. It is not under my pillow, but as close as possible with out being. I dont want a big arse gun under my pillow. My pillow inst that comfortable in the first place.

Now I dont keep my gun chambered. I dont feel it is needed in my particular case. Takes a bit to get to my room from the front door and the door makes enough noise to wake a comma patient.

Now I had a friend that always slept with a gun under his pillow, one in the night stand beside his bed. Kept another gun under the pillows of his couche and chair in the living room, one in the bath room, and a Glock in the freezer. He is far less paranoid now days.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:24 pm 

I'm surprised no ones mentioned the next best solution.
While I won't sleep with a gun or knife under my pillow, I sleep on the right side of the bed, so it's second nature to keep either my CZ52 or a large knife tucked between the mattresses. It's safe from being tossed about or rolled upon in the night, and it's nothing doing to drop my arm to the side of the bed as I normally sleep on my side.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:40 am 

Not with a little kid. When I get my handgun, (ie when my wife says there is enough money to get one) I plan to lock it in my nightstand (which does have a lock in it) and unlock it when I go to bed. In the morning, CCW it or lock the nightstand again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:48 am 

Hmm, good point. My youngest is entirely to young to worry about that right now, but something I'll have to think on when he gets older.

If nothing else, you can always turn to GunVault safes.
http://www.gunvault.com/

They feature a design where your finger presses down on keys to open the safe, allowing the hand to naturally draw towards you, palming the firearm.
Their Speedvault is also good for rapid access, and stays securely locked so it can't be messed with by kids.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:03 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Forget the Postman, it's listed as two hours and fifty seven minutes. I aint got the time. Unrelated, my left arm is killing me.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19895

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:04 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

RickOShea wrote:
My "night stand" pistol is in an open Safepacker with the flap shoved between the mattress and box spring. AND there are no children about.

This is pretty close to what I do. Hadn't thought of the Safepacker. I like it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:06 am 

Phantomgrift wrote:
If nothing else, you can always turn to GunVault safes.
http://www.gunvault.com/

Thats what i keep my Glock in under the bed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:32 am 

I sell some of the gunvault products at my work, and honestly from LOOKING at the product design I would assume its great, you put your hand on there in a natural position and hit the buttons right?

problem is... those buttons, or membrane pads, or w\e are junk its hard to explain.... I have played with that safe more times than I can count, and there seems to be a 50% chance of mispressing the buttons,

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:39 am 

Well that's simply because you haven't mastered the proper amount of finger-control techniques that can only come from years of the ancient art of Gun-Fu.
Of course, once you master Gun-Fu, you don't have to worry about safes or vaults as you can pull firearms from the very fabric of space-time itself.

(In all seriousness I'll have to take your word for it as I've only used one of those that I borrowed from a friend. It seemed to work okay, but I didn't play around with it much.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:45 am 

I'm not saying they don't work.

what I'm saying is since the buttons are a little janky it winds up taking longer to open than it should.

I would much rather have one of the biometrics if it was reliable, (haven't played with yet, gunna spin it to the boss that "it's one of the more expensive safe's don't you want a display?" guess who's gunna put his fingerprints in to see how it works? :wink:

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next