It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:10 am 

This is a small rant and question.

A few months ago my best friend got divorced and lost his job in the same month. He decided to become a truck driver, so he could just live in his truck and make some good quick cash. I let him stay in my guest room on his days off (usually one weekend a month or so). Today i went into the guest room to take a nap (its the quietest room in the house and i have two little boys 2 and 7 running around).

In the middle of my nap I rolled over and my hand slid under the pillow only to find a loaded Glock 19. As you know Glocks dont really have a safety, and my friend allways gives my shit for not keeping a round in the chamber on any of my guns. I dont keep one in the chamber because i have little curious boys in the house. I have never told him not to leave guns laying around the house, but thats common sense stuff. So after a quick phone call and "rectal re-alingment" im sure he will never do that again. He said he was running late and ran out the door and forgot it.

My question is how many people out there sleep with guns under their pillow? and why? I live pretty far out in the country and he is a city boy. My only guess is he thought a bear might break into the house and ass rape him in his sleep and therefore needed protection. Now I sleep with a Glock also but mine in in a push button pistol safe under the bed.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:27 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Pillow? No. Nightstand? Yes.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19895

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:31 am 

If I slept with a gun under my pillow, it would definitely have an empty chamber, as I sleep with a hand under the pillow, and have nightmares sometimes :shock: Racking the slide is not difficult and I'd rather risk that than risk blowing the shit out of something (possibly my head) in my sleep. But ideally, nightstand when you have the option.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:37 am 

You don't sleep with a pistol under your pillow. It's dumb. You'll shoot yourself in the head in your sleep, the gun will get moved around or tangled up under the covers as you toss and turn and it won't be easy to access if you ever do need it.

You don't leave a loaded gun unattended and accessible - especially not in a house with children. That's sufficiently negligent that I'd consider revoking my friend's invitation to sleep at my house. Friends are important, but your children's safety is more important. Your friend can get a motel room one weekend a month.

As for the "curious boys" - I'd start teaching them firearms safety early, and let them handle guns - supervised, unloaded - enough to demystify the firearms and stop them from being tempting taboo or "forbidden fruit" objects. Beyond that, I don't see a problem keeping one in the chamber as long as the pistol is 1) on your person in a holster of some sort that covers the trigger guard, or 2) in that push button safe while you are in the bed next to it. In both circumstances the gun is in a "ready to use" state, and under your direct control. If you don't want it ready to use, unload it and put it in the regular gun safe. There's not much safety benefit to leaving a round unchambered. It doesn't render the gun harmless in the grasp of a curious boy or other irresponsible person.
My .02

Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:42 am 

Yea im allready teaching my 7 year old about guns , he has his own bb gun and i let him shoot my Ruger MKII sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:53 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

docdredd wrote:
Have I done it? Absolutely. Do I recommend it? Nope...

Same, but never at home was always someplace or situation where if I was sleeping I was sleeping lightly for a reason.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:08 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Anyone who sleeps with a gun under their pillow must do a lot less late-night tossing and turning, pillow-rearranging, and late-night "wake up, you're my wife, it's your job" activities than I do. Anything I left under my pillow would be on the floor, under a blanket, or lodged behind the bed, well before morning.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:39 am 

Takaaco78 wrote:
This is a small rant and question.

A few months ago my best friend got divorced and lost his job in the same month. He decided to become a truck driver, so he could just live in his truck and make some good quick cash. I let him stay in my guest room on his days off (usually one weekend a month or so). Today i went into the guest room to take a nap (its the quietest room in the house and i have two little boys 2 and 7 running around).

In the middle of my nap I rolled over and my hand slid under the pillow only to find a loaded Glock 19. As you know Glocks dont really have a safety, and my friend allways gives my shit for not keeping a round in the chamber on any of my guns. I dont keep one in the chamber because i have little curious boys in the house. I have never told him not to leave guns laying around the house, but thats common sense stuff. So after a quick phone call and "rectal re-alingment" im sure he will never do that again. He said he was running late and ran out the door and forgot it.

My question is how many people out there sleep with guns under their pillow? and why? I live pretty far out in the country and he is a city boy. My only guess is he thought a bear might break into the house and ass rape him in his sleep and therefore needed protection. Now I sleep with a Glock also but mine in in a push button pistol safe under the bed.

Home invasions are not uncommon "pretty far out in the country" I've had the dubious pleasure of hosting one myself and some folks I knew in a very rural area of New England got dead that way.
Under the pillow though? not so much.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:00 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

There was a dood in my unit that slept with a gun under his pillow. He says he wasn't finger fucking it BUT he shot one of his fingers off.

Bad idea all the way around. It will get moved and what's the point if you can't get to it if you needed it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:29 am 

Rev wrote:
Pillow? No. Nightstand? Yes.

You sleep with your gun under your nightstand?

Vampire wrote:
Norway is great. Just sit on a deserted mountaintop, and if a zombie happens to stumble upon you trow rocks at him until he rolls all the way down. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:36 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

squinty wrote:
You don't leave a loaded gun unattended and accessible

I've had a loaded gun on or in my nightstand for 10 years, it has yet to get up and shoot someone. Ditto for the shotgun under the bed.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:08 am 

I do not sleep with a gun under my pillow because I move my pillow from side to side and that would be bad result for me.

I however sleep with a loaded Glock 19 next to me in bed. Have a king size bed and within arms length I can reach it. Since I am use to sleeping in cots, sleeping bags and hammocks my hands do not wander, but if I need it the firearm is there.

As for accidental discharges, extremely unlikely and extraordinarily rare.

Obviously there is no children in my house.

Due to my line of work I need to keep a firearm close by. No I am not a spy nor a drug dealer.,

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:14 am 

crypto wrote:
squinty wrote:

I've had a loaded gun on or in my nightstand for 10 years, it has yet to get up and shoot someone. Ditto for the shotgun under the bed.

Straw man. I never claimed that guns had agency or volition of their own, or that they could act independently of a human operator.

Do you leave your handgun siting on your nightstand when you leave the house to go to work? Does the shotgun stay loaded under your bed when you and your family leave the house? If not, why not? After all, they aren't going to just get up by themselves and shoot somebody are they? Is it really so hard to understand that not everyone in the world is responsible or knowledgeable about firearms, or prone to use them ethically?

I have never claimed that firearms could magically animate themselves and fire independent of a human operator, anymore than a car can start itself and drive down the road mowing down pedestrians of it's own accord. Yet, most people would be reluctant to walk away from their car leaving it unlocked with the keys in the ignition where unauthorized people might have access to it.

I have kept a gun on my nightstand for years as well, and at times a shotgun next to the bed. They stay there while I am in bed, or in the bedroom. Under those circumstances both weapons are in view and under my control.
When I get out of bed and get dressed, the handgun goes on my hip, the shotgun into the safe.

The OP has young children that are not old enough to handle firearms responsibly, but old enough and curious enough that they could very easily come across a firearm left unsecured, and discharge it with tragic consequences. That's something that does happen, with appalling regularity. It is irresponsible to leave a loaded gun unattended and unsecured. The responsible gun owner maintains control of his weapon.

You know that I am not anti-gun or opposed to gun ownership, but guns are no different than any number of potentially dangerous household objects. If you have young children in the house, you learn to keep the toxic cleaning chemicals locked up. You don't leave matches out for them, or let them play unsupervised with power tools, or run around the pool unattended if they haven't learned to swim. And you don't leave guns accessible to them.

Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:21 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

squinty wrote:
crypto wrote:
squinty wrote:

Straw man. I never claimed that guns had agency or volition of their own, or that they could act independently of a human operator.

Do you leave your handgun siting on your nightstand when you leave the house to go to work? Does the shotgun stay loaded under your bed when you and your family leave the house?

unless they're going with me, yes?

I have no kids. I dont like kids. I dont invite kids into my house. Or idiots. I'm sorry you dont associate with people who know better than to run with scissors or drink bleach or shoot themselves in the face.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:29 am 

squinty wrote:

Do you leave your handgun siting on your nightstand when you leave the house to go to work? Does the shotgun stay loaded under your bed when you and your family leave the house? If not, why not? After all, they aren't going to just get up by themselves and shoot somebody are they? Is it really so hard to understand that not everyone in the world is responsible or knowledgeable about firearms, or prone to use them ethically?

Yes, I do, in fact, keep a loaded handgun in my nightstand, with a round in the chamber, in a holster even when I'm gone. And yes, the loaded shotgun DOES stay in the closet, with a round of buck in the chamber, downstairs, even when I am gone.

squinty wrote:
I have kept a gun on my nightstand for years as well, and at times a shotgun next to the bed. They stay there while I am in bed, or in the bedroom. Under those circumstances both weapons are in view and under my control.
When I get out of bed and get dressed, the handgun goes on my hip, the shotgun into the safe.

I also keep a separate and distinct loaded handgun in my nightstand that I strap onto my hip, or inside my belt, when I leave the house.

squinty wrote:
The OP has young children that are not old enough to handle firearms responsibly, but old enough and curious enough that they could very easily come across a firearm left unsecured, and discharge it with tragic consequences. That's something that does happen, with appalling regularity. It is irresponsible to leave a loaded gun unattended and unsecured. The responsible gun owner maintains control of his weapon.

You know that I am not anti-gun or opposed to gun ownership, but guns are no different than any number of potentially dangerous household objects. If you have young children in the house, you learn to keep the toxic cleaning chemicals locked up. You don't leave matches out for them, or let them play unsupervised with power tools, or run around the pool unattended if they haven't learned to swim. And you don't leave guns accessible to them.

I have no children, I have a dog. And at the moment, I honestly don't want the little screamers running through my house like a Dothraki horde.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:31 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

LOL no, I'm not going to put the shotgun in the basement safe when I leave the house. I'm not going to lock up my knives, stapleguns, hammers, baseball bats and insecticides, either.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:39 am 

crypto wrote:
squinty wrote:
crypto wrote:
squinty wrote:

Do you leave your handgun siting on your nightstand when you leave the house to go to work? Does the shotgun stay loaded under your bed when you and your family leave the house?

unless they're going with me, yes?

I have no kids. I dont like kids. I dont invite kids into my house. Or idiots. I'm sorry you dont associate with people who know better than to run with scissors or drink bleach or shoot themselves in the face.

I don't have (or like) kids myself. The one time I left a firearm out of the safe when I left the house - three firearms, actually - they were stolen during a break in. Glad I didn't walk into my house and come face to face with the muzzle of my own shotgun. Lost a little bit of sleep wondering where the stolen firearms wound up, and what use has been made of them. I've been surprised more than once by the actions of people whom I'd thought were responsible and sensible.

The OP does have kids, and his friend was irresponsible to leave a loaded pistol unattended in the OP's house.

Do what you want with your guns, they are yours, but I still say it's irresponsible to leave them unsecured, loaded, and unattended.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:10 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Sckitzo wrote:
docdredd wrote:

Same, but never at home was always someplace or situation where if I was sleeping I was sleeping lightly for a reason.

I am embarrassed to say I too have also done it for the same reason. IMO this is very dangerous, foolish and if you are some place where you have to do this, you should not be sleeping but rather walking, driving or otherwise GTFO of there or split a night watch with someone.

In fact IMO your firearm should be just out of normal reach to ensure you are wide awake when you reach for it.

(I am sure I will get flamed for this but if it is within arms length and you have a disturbing dream you could have an ND. If you are worried about someone breaking down your bedroom door...reinforce it.)

Edited to add: If you keep your pistol within arms reach but in a decent holster that will IMO improve your odds of avoiding an ND. I had not considered the holster in my initial reply.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

Last edited by raptor on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:23 am 

Takaaco78 wrote:
Yea im allready teaching my 7 year old about guns , he has his own bb gun and i let him shoot my Ruger MKII sometimes.

That's terrific! Wish I'd had instruction at that age!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:55 am 

I have done it on accident a few times,

I typically leave a round out of chamber, reasoning is- I usually take melatonin to help me sleep, it can result is some crazy ass dreams or occasionally nightmares. they can be the kind where upon waking up it takes a few seconds to realize what is going on, for this reason I have decided that any firearms I keep loaded near me while I sleep are to be left in a manner that I have to perform some deliberate act to "arm" the firearm, such as turning the safety off, racking slide. I have chosen to have to rack the slide because it is a gross motor skill and in the event I need to use it, it is easier to rack the slide than hit the safety, I also leave the pistol in a paddle holster that I can either slip on, or discard upon drawing the weapon,

the few times I have slept with a pistil under my pillow what happened is as follows,

usually I leave my pistol on my nightstand (no drawers) in the holster , when I leave to go somewhere it either comes with me, or goes in the gunsafe, if I am running behind significantly I have opted to just toss the pistol under my pillow, since there are no kids in my house safety is generally not an issue, its more or less just putting it out of view on the off chance someone has to go into the basement, there is not a pistol just chilling out in the open. (since I dont have a drawer in the night stand to place it in)

upon returning home I forget about it, most likely assuming the pistol is in the safe, and get ready for bed. later during the night I slide my hand under the pillow and feel it, " hmmm whats this oh shit!, pucket factor 8 :lol:

I'm not going to say that keeping a pistol under your pillow is safe\unsafe, it all depends on how it is kept there and how you sleep. it would not be my first choice however.

your friend should have the issue of having to remove his head from his rectum before sleeping in your house again.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:44 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

raptor wrote:
Sckitzo wrote:
docdredd wrote:

I am embarrassed to say I too have also done it for the same reason. IMO this is very dangerous, foolish and if you are some place where you have to do this, you should not be sleeping but rather walking, driving or otherwise GTFO of there or split a night watch with someone.

In fact IMO your firearm should be just out of normal reach to ensure you are wide awake when you reach for it.

(I am sure I will get flamed for this but if it is within arms length and you have a disturbing dream you could have an ND. If you are worried about someone breaking down your bedroom door...reinforce it.)

Edited to add: If you keep your pistol within arms reach but in a decent holster that will IMO improve your odds of avoiding an ND. I had not considered the holster in my initial reply.

I should add, I do not recommend doing it, at all. I think my situation was more like docdredd, though we didn't have those fancy camelbacks, I used my shirt :lol: and the stink of that thing was enough to make sure you slept lite.

But seriously, it was dumb, more of a more balls then brains type thing, the areas were sketchy enough not to warrant a watch, so leaving it in the holster next to me would have worked just as well in hindsight. Now adays its on the floor next to the bed or a nightstand, or if camping or such in the holster next to me.

Though if for some odd reason I am sleeping in the same house or room as my friends with kids or what have you, they get locked up or taken apart or something along those lines if there is no safe. I have no kids so leaving them out doesn't bother me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:53 pm 

I kept my Glock 23 on my nightstand tucked between books on a bookrack and in the holster for years. I once recall coming out of a fever dream with the thing in my hand.

You never know when you might get sick and have fever induced nightmares in the middle of the night.

If I had kids, I'd never keep it out like that again. I have a Godson that one rare occasion gets to come over. I bought a small pistol safe just for those occasions.

Under the pillow just seems uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:11 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I was just about to say something smug about how awesome it is knowing I'm never going to have kids, when I realized that if there is one thing Snake would definitely do, at his earliest possible convenience, it would be to somehow get his tail through the trigger guard and around the trigger and squeeze. So I've actually got to keep any guns at least in a drawer or something, even after I'm no longer in Chicago and all that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:06 am 

If I slept with a gun under my pillow, I toss and turn enough that I would probably fire it at least once, and at least partially dismantle the thing. I sleep heavily enough that I wouldn't notice the discharge.

Then, my sleep-walking girlfriend would probably arrange the magazine, slide and trigger assembly on top of the book case around 3 AM, amidst a dusting of granola bar crumbs. I love her to death but damn she has some weirdness going on :P

On a more serious note, she keeps her handguns in her nightstand drawer, though not as accessible as I like. I sleep against the wall so I'll need to be more creative when I get mine, but it'll be something safe and accessible. My trusty ol' Winchester Model 12 sits on the gun rack right above my window.

I kind of have different memories on kids seeing guns I guess. As young as 5 or 6, from what I remember, my dad was showing me his guns. I didn't get to shoot, but I knew what they were, vaguely knew what they were for, and could see/touch them any time I asked...and knew I wasn't allowed to any other time. But having the ability to just ask took a lot of the mystery away.

Not really preaching to anyone or trying to say how it is, people should raise their kids how they see fit, just sharing my experience.