Almost Died

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ednemo

Re: Almost Died

Post by ednemo » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:12 pm

Thanks everyone! I am slowly putting some weight back on. Feeling a bit better and lookinjg forward to putting this all behind me.

GlockASP
Favorite Zombie Movies: OMG, All of them

Post by GlockASP » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:55 pm

glad to here your feeling better.

C-Diff is a very common problem in hospitals, a lot of times it is caused by too high a dose of antibiotics or being on them for too long. You can pick it up very easily most times from the staff, cross contamination (MRSA & C-Diff have the same issue, they are super contagious). Just be thankful that you only picked up C-Diff and not MRSA.

Anytime you have a bathroom problem (loose #2) they will put you on a BRAT diet and clear fluids. It's not as good as government cheese to bind you up but it gets the job done. :lol:

Welcome to the club brother just make sure to take your Type II very serious, as you found out it can be a killer (or in your case thank god an almost killer). It can also mess with and cause complications in almost every other system in your body. It is going to be a bit of a shock and a life changer for you, but you can do it and control it.

You really are lucky to be alive.

Also, if they try to put you on Actos for your sugars do not do it. While it works it causes bladder cancer. Two family members have been on it and both ended up with bladder cancer.

God bless and Merry Christmas
Stuck behind enemy lines in the peoples republik of Massholes!

"Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem"
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
Kinda funny, for a state that takes and regulates your liberty's to such extremes to have this as the state motto.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sic Vis Pacem, Parabellum
Deus Vult

ednemo

Post by ednemo » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:06 pm

GlockASP wrote:glad to here your feeling better.

C-Diff is a very common problem in hospitals, a lot of times it is caused by too high a dose of antibiotics or being on them for too long. You can pick it up very easily most times from the staff, cross contamination (MRSA & C-Diff have the same issue, they are super contagious). Just be thankful that you only picked up C-Diff and not MRSA.

Anytime you have a bathroom problem (loose #2) they will put you on a BRAT diet and clear fluids. It's not as good as government cheese to bind you up but it gets the job done. :lol:

Welcome to the club brother just make sure to take your Type II very serious, as you found out it can be a killer (or in your case thank god an almost killer). It can also mess with and cause complications in almost every other system in your body. It is going to be a bit of a shock and a life changer for you, but you can do it and control it.

You really are lucky to be alive.

Also, if they try to put you on Actos for your sugars do not do it. While it works it causes bladder cancer. Two family members have been on it and both ended up with bladder cancer.

God bless and Merry Christmas
I have been seeing those commercials for Actos warning about it. I'm glad I'm not on it and am now just waiting for the warning for something I am on.

EDSLocklear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Snow, Shaun of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead

Post by EDSLocklear » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:53 am

Prescription milk and cookies? Dude, where can I check in?

Glad you're okay, too bad one doctor was thinking, "Gomer" (Get out of My Emergency Room, for people who don't know)

BigDuke6

Post by BigDuke6 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:30 pm

This past summer I had an event that scared the hell out of me. I was driving home for lunch and all of a sudden I hurt in my chest like an elephant was stepping on it. Classic signs of a heart attack, pain radiating down the left arm and pain shooting through my jaws. I called my wife as she was there for lunch already and told her not to get crazy but call 911 as I was a block away having a heart attack. I made it home followed closely by the fire department paramedics and then the ambulance. They hooked me up to an EKG, gave me some nitroglycerin, and pain meds. On a pain scale of 10 I was a 9.

Get to the ER and they basically set me off to the side of a hallway while they made some tests, pulled blood, EKG, etc.... Cardiologist came by and said I may have had some cardiac event, but once he got my family history, he wanted to skip a stress test the following day and went right to the gold standard angiogram. Friends, this is what I feared the most. The next day I went down to the cath lab and the cardiologist said he was going in through my right wrist as I was an excellent candidate for that procedure. Well, I was in the lab at noon and home by 4:00 pm. By going through my wrist I avoided the arterial cut down in my thigh.

Great news, it was not a heart attack, but an acute case of reflux. He also told my wife I had a pristine heart and no blockages. Neat thing about it was that I was awake enough to see my heart glow like a large orange ball when the assistant pushed the dye into my artery.

I feel I have been given a 2nd chance to get back in shape and do things I have not done in years.

Please, do not take the symptoms of a heart attack or stroke lightly. Know the signs, know when to call 911.

ednemo

Post by ednemo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:21 pm

Time for an update:

I am back at work and have been since early January. I drink a Kefir probiotic shake every morning and am now walking without a cane. I walk laps around my workplace now instead of smoking and stretch every night. My tendons are still extremely tight but I can now step over a baby gate which I couldn't do a month ago. Today one of my old students came by and mentioned how much muscle I lost. (Truth or not, it sucks having it pointed out).

Currently I am dealing with sudden stabbing pains in my back as well as tactile sensitivity in my legs, back, feet and hands. Hoping it will go away soon. In the meantime I have Neuragen cream which seems to work pretty well. I was originally given a year to get back to where I was, but I am hoping and working to do it in 6 months. In a year I want to be in GREAT shape. I still can't lift weights but I can do pushups, leg-lifts and crunches. So, all in all I am doing pretty well considering they thought I was going to die back in October then again in December.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:22 pm

Man, ednemo, I just read your post for the first time...what a nightmare. I'm glad you are doing better and you seem to have a good frame of mind, wanting to get back in shape in 6 months. Stay with it dude, I'm pulling for you.
Flash
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

ednemo

Post by ednemo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:46 pm

FlashDaddy wrote:Man, ednemo, I just read your post for the first time...what a nightmare. I'm glad you are doing better and you seem to have a good frame of mind, wanting to get back in shape in 6 months. Stay with it dude, I'm pulling for you.
Flash
Thank you very much. I appreciate it!

Collie of Doom

Post by Collie of Doom » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:36 pm

ednemo wrote:Time for an update:

I am back at work and have been since early January. I drink a Kefir probiotic shake every morning and am now walking without a cane. I walk laps around my workplace now instead of smoking and stretch every night. My tendons are still extremely tight but I can now step over a baby gate which I couldn't do a month ago. Today one of my old students came by and mentioned how much muscle I lost. (Truth or not, it sucks having it pointed out).

Currently I am dealing with sudden stabbing pains in my back as well as tactile sensitivity in my legs, back, feet and hands. Hoping it will go away soon. In the meantime I have Neuragen cream which seems to work pretty well. I was originally given a year to get back to where I was, but I am hoping and working to do it in 6 months. In a year I want to be in GREAT shape. I still can't lift weights but I can do pushups, leg-lifts and crunches. So, all in all I am doing pretty well considering they thought I was going to die back in October then again in December.
Glad to hear you are doing so well! Keep up the exercise, but remember to pace yourself. Throwing out your back or wrenching your knee in a bad way would set back your recovery.
"You've got red on you."
- Sean of the Dead

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:40 pm

Excellent news! Your docs must enjoy working with someone who's putting so much effort into their rehab. Keep it up!
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

ednemo

Post by ednemo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:21 pm

Been a long time but wanted to provide an update.

I learned that due to both the strenuousness of the way I had exercised and did martial arts for years and the fact that my body couldn't get oxygen to my tendons, I will never be back to where I once was. Every one of my joints is now having problems, mostly my knees, hips and shoulders. I can still get around without a cane for the most part, but if I am standing or walking for any length of time, I like to have it to take some of the weight off my legs. My feet have morphed into something new. I can no longer wear my Chucks or anything that isn't well padded. I have found that Side Zip Magnum boots are my best friends now. I can't lift weights due to my shoulders or do push-ups which totally sucks. But, I have been doing Kali, walking, riding an exercise bike, and doing crunches. I still take probiotic pills everyday and also have to take pills for heartburn. Every day...no matter what I eat.

So, I would just like to point out to everyone. If you get a cough, feel like crap for more than a day or two or just have a mystery pain. Screw it. Go to the damn doctor! I am amazed at how I have been taken down so effectively by the after-effects of being hellaciously sick. And yes, I am now most definitely in a "Bug-In" scenario for any bad times.

goblin
Favorite Zombie Movies: The original day of the dead!

Post by goblin » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:27 pm

been there, done that! 20 days unconscious with a collapsed lung due to broken ribs and internal bleeding after a motorcycle accident!
"Just kickin' a can down the road to Hell."
"Real zombies CAN"T run!!"

Visit http://www.urbansurvivalstrategies.forumsland.com/

CarolinaPeach
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.

Post by CarolinaPeach » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:41 pm

ednemo wrote:Been a long time but wanted to provide an update.

I learned that due to both the strenuousness of the way I had exercised and did martial arts for years and the fact that my body couldn't get oxygen to my tendons, I will never be back to where I once was. Every one of my joints is now having problems, mostly my knees, hips and shoulders. I can still get around without a cane for the most part, but if I am standing or walking for any length of time, I like to have it to take some of the weight off my legs. My feet have morphed into something new. I can no longer wear my Chucks or anything that isn't well padded. I have found that Side Zip Magnum boots are my best friends now. I can't lift weights due to my shoulders or do push-ups which totally sucks. But, I have been doing Kali, walking, riding an exercise bike, and doing crunches. I still take probiotic pills everyday and also have to take pills for heartburn. Every day...no matter what I eat.

So, I would just like to point out to everyone. If you get a cough, feel like crap for more than a day or two or just have a mystery pain. Screw it. Go to the damn doctor! I am amazed at how I have been taken down so effectively by the after-effects of being hellaciously sick. And yes, I am now most definitely in a "Bug-In" scenario for any bad times.
Good to read that you are working so hard. Even if you never get back to exactly where you were, you are really being good to your body and that will pay off for you.

Have you talked to your doctor or a dietician/nutritionist about folic acid for diabetic neuropathy? It might be helpful.

Regards,
Peach

ednemo

Post by ednemo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:13 pm

CarolinaPeach wrote: Good to read that you are working so hard. Even if you never get back to exactly where you were, you are really being good to your body and that will pay off for you.

Have you talked to your doctor or a dietician/nutritionist about folic acid for diabetic neuropathy? It might be helpful.

Regards,
Peach
No, but I will definitely bring it up. Thanks for the info!

Return to “Survival Experiences”