car busted into

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

car busted into

Post by Sckitzo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:02 am

godamn about the only thing I can say is don't leave your fak in you car. They left the ipod but guess stole first thing handy waiting on the cops then gonna look around see if they ditched it...

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: car busted into

Post by jamoni » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:19 am

Anything in view through the windows is a bad idea. Keep everything in the trunk. Won't stop them if they want to find it, but they'd rather break into a car they KNOW has stuff in it.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Str8Shooter

Post by Str8Shooter » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:30 am

sorry to hear that man.

About a year ago I had a prick break my rear sliding glass to get into my truck and cleaned house. GPS, mag lights, gerber multitool and much more. Luckily I had just stopped leaving a shotgun under the rear seat or he'd got that too. I think what prompted it was the GPS was stuck on the windshield.
Now I don't leave anything in view. And I've got alarms on all my vehicles now and cameras on my house.
My Storage Locker Review - http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 34&t=82803

ASSume I did search prior to asking my question. Thanks!

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Sckitzo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:39 am

jamoni wrote:Anything in view through the windows is a bad idea. Keep everything in the trunk. Won't stop them if they want to find it, but they'd rather break into a car they KNOW has stuff in it.
I have no trunk =( It's a hatch back

But, what I am going to take out of this, after having calmed down a bit...

Get my garage working, house was a foreclosure, they ganked that shit out, think today I'm going to go buy a garage door opener and hopefully it's something I can install myself.

Heh, and I was all excited today since I was officialy discharged from the military, kinda put a damper on that, but fuck it, shit happens at least they didn't steal the car.

And I already had one neighbor stop and let me know (I already took everything from value out of the car) just waiting on the cops so can go do this window shit and maybe get some sleep... It's gonna be a long day.

But yeah, don't live shit in your car, and don't be lazy and not fill your garage with random shit when you should be parking your car in it...

airballrad
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by airballrad » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:41 am

What a way to celebrate. That sucks, dude. :(

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Sckitzo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:43 am

Actually something else I should add, and this was a major fucking failure on my part.

Don't blindly charge out the goddamn door with your gun, either A) The tweakers may have been there and armed and I bit off more then I can chew. Or B) Maybe a cop happened to have been outside and sees some lunatic sprinting out his door with a pistol.

BattleVersion
Favorite Zombie Movies: RE Extinction, Night of the living Dead.

Post by BattleVersion » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:06 am

So... I take it you heard this happen?

also, I hate Thieves! Sorry they gotcha.
Image Credit goes to Morbid_Mistress

I'm Just Trying To Do The Opposite Of Left,
As Long As There Is The Opposite Of Death.
Tested, And I Might Just Bring The Opposite Of Life,
Till There's No One The Opposite Of Right...
-Fiasco-

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Sckitzo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:27 am

Yep, I heard, something, but it was really quiet, so at first I thought it was farther away, finished shutting down my music and what not and I was still hearing it, then I heard the tires squeal off and outside I ran.

Grey Mann

Post by Grey Mann » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:30 am

Sckitzo, if you have a hatchback then it wouldn't be more than a few hours work to construct a false floor for the rear area that would conceal and secure all the gear that you should be keeping in your car--no one would be the wiser.

Just a thought.
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject.
Do not go gentle.

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Sckitzo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:51 am

Hmm, I never thought about that, I am now though, gotta go to home depot for the door opener anyway so I'll look around, it should be pretty easy.

Grey Mann

Post by Grey Mann » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:01 am

Yupp. A basic 2x4 support frame glued/bolted down in the trunk, 3/4" plywood on top, color-matched carpet over it. You could make a locking trap door, lift-out panels, or let the whole thing raise up on hinges for access. The sky's the limit, and I've never seen anybody regret installing one in their vehicle.

Just raising the floor 4-6 inches will give you huge gains in space, as long as you build your bags to fit properly in the space you've created.
Do not go gentle.

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Sckitzo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:05 am

Hmm will take some figuring out, the spare and stuff sits under the "trunk" area.

It's an 05 Scion TC if your familiar with those at all.

BattleVersion
Favorite Zombie Movies: RE Extinction, Night of the living Dead.

Post by BattleVersion » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:09 am

there was a car broken into at work recently, not 20ft from my desk.
now as soon as I hear somthing I get up and check.
previously (did I just hear somthing... listen for a few more seconds... no new sound... forgot it.) :gonk:
Image Credit goes to Morbid_Mistress

I'm Just Trying To Do The Opposite Of Left,
As Long As There Is The Opposite Of Death.
Tested, And I Might Just Bring The Opposite Of Life,
Till There's No One The Opposite Of Right...
-Fiasco-

Grey Mann

Post by Grey Mann » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:12 am

Sckitzo wrote:Hmm will take some figuring out, the spare and stuff sits under the "trunk" area.

It's an 05 Scion TC if your familiar with those at all.
I would say use a larger hinged flap that you can open to have access to the tire, then smaller lift-out or hinged (depending on how you want to secure it) doors--one on each side of the spare tire opening, one behind it--to have plenty of access. You can use all sorts of locking systems to keep the non-spare access points from opening easily.

If you do a little googling on what various people have done, you'll probably find some ideas you can easily implement.
Do not go gentle.

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Sckitzo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:26 am

Well that was a polite Police Officer, I know there is about shit all he can do, but still appreciated them going out for it.

silentpoet

Post by silentpoet » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:32 am

Both of our working cars(not counting my project caddy) are basically hatchbacks. But they have covers that you can put over the hatch area. Mom's car has a roll up cover that you can pull over the cargo area. And mine has a hard cover that you can either set up high for a more trunk like area, or you can set it lower. Even if you set it lower you can have a small hidden area under it. Thieves happen. I guess it is a reminder to be more cautious. I will be sure and get the cover out when we go to Springfield today.

I try to never leave much out except junk. I need to clear like 3-4 energy drink cans from my car. And a binder. I keep a caddy in my car with cleaning supplies for my job as a home health aid, but I guess it ain't worth stealing. There has been a rash of "break ins" in this small town. But for the most part they hit cars people haven't locked. I always lock mine. I do try to keep it clean, so that it doesn't look like there is anything worth stealing in there.
"...a society too squeamish to call evil by its right name has destroyed its first, best defense against cutthroats."
David Gelernter (Unabomber victim)

Electricity

Post by Electricity » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:57 am

Did they pop a window? How'd they get in?
Also, that really blows man.
Official Meat World Spice Merchant

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Sckitzo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:57 pm

Looks like the snapped it with a ASP or something similar (there is a narrow strike mark on the metal and lining of the window) then just reached through and opened her up. The cop tried to dust for prints, but got shit all.

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Sckitzo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:42 pm

Welp, thanks to Gun Nut, some possible good news

It didn't even dawn on me this would fall under home owners insurance, USAA is running it no problem, I just gotta give a inventory of what was in the bag... so another lesson learned don't be lazy and not up your ZS FAK link, otherwise it would have been a simple copy paste :lol:

Mainly just gonna hit up the expensive stuff like pulse ox and stuff, but gotta say I love USAA....

Electricity

Post by Electricity » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:28 am

If you'd like help replacing the window, I have experiance doing that on most cars, and my new roomate (just moved near grant and campbell) is a mechanic. So if you'd like help, let me know.
Official Meat World Spice Merchant

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Sckitzo » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:28 pm

Thanks man, I but I took it to a place down the street...

Now does anyone in Tucson know how the hell to install a garage door opener?

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:56 pm

Auslander wrote:Sckitzo, if you have a hatchback then it wouldn't be more than a few hours work to construct a false floor for the rear area that would conceal and secure all the gear that you should be keeping in your car--no one would be the wiser.

Just a thought.
I did this with a 1980 Monza hatchback I owned. Not as complex as the one you described but it worked. Great idea and I am glad you mentioned it.

Also, a pair of those cheap folding sunshades work wonders for keeping prying eyes from viewing the gear in your car, especially in the summer. The don't look out of place this time of year and are very cheap.

I have a truck with a 3rd door set up. The rear windows are tinted but you can still see through them enough to spot any valuable goodies. A couple of yards of black fabric thrown over the top of anything gear stored in the back (including long guns legally transported in cases) makes it area look empty. I was quite surprised how easily this simple idea has worked.

I have had this happen to me twice and it's a bitch. First time I didn't loose anything, since something or someone startled them away before they could grab anything. The second time I was not so lucky as the thieves were able to get my Get Home/Roadside car repair box, which was bolted and chained to the bed of the truck .I am still replacing items lost from that one.

Oh, yeah, the first incident happened at a party store I would stop at after work on a regular basis. The owner knew me on site and was a stand up guy. I went in, turned around to go back out to my car for something and found the window smashed. Second time was when i had to drive the company van home and left my truck in the lot at work, a building right on a busy road and a half mile from anything in either direction. As previously mentioned, the thieves unbolted and cut the chain the had the box secured in the bed of the truck. They had time and the tools it seems. They also stole four catylitic converters from company vans that night.

Hell, I lock up my vehicle in my own driveway every night.

Glad your insurance will help.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

razi

Post by razi » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:21 pm

a burning, itchy, pustulous pox on all thieves. fuck them with sharp, pointy sticks. >:(

Return to “Survival Experiences”