The Day of EDC Victory

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

echo83

Re: The Day of EDC Victory

Post by echo83 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:32 am

Got a chance to use the Israeli Bandage yesterday (unfortunately.) My wife twisted her ankle and fell on our lawn, 10 minutes before about 25 guests showed up for a birthday party. I EDC a 4" dressing, which I was able to use to stabilize her ankle and hold a bag of ice on it.

Luckily, it seems to just be a sprain, and she is able to move around.

There was quite a bit of:

"Where did you get the bandage?"
"echo83 had one in his pocket."
"Oh, of course he did."

EBuff75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by EBuff75 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:38 am

Thought I'd resurrect this post, since it hasn't been active in a while.

Several years ago I made emergency kits for some friends. They were around $80-90 each, and have a variety of items in them. Basic tools, first aid items, toiletries, flashlight, garbage bags, duct tape, state map, and lots other useful stuff to keep in your car.

A few days ago one of my friends emailed to tell me that they'd made a trip to Ikea to buy a new bedroom set for one of his kids, only to find that the boxes were too long to fit inside their SUV. Hmmm... if only they had some stuff that could help... He opened up the kit to see what was in it and used bungee cords to hold the liftgate closed and the towel to cushion the boxes. Warmed the cockles of my heart to hear that they're actually using this stuff!

CG

Post by CG » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:15 am

I helped with the delivery of cups at the theater.

Pallets, completely plastic-wrapped, higher than my head.

"Anybody got a knife?"

Uh, yeah. So I pop out my knife with a 3-4" spring blade (it is now legal in Texas), to which one of the guys goes, "I'm kind of embarrassed to take out my knife now," and takes out a teeny 1.5" Swiss Army knife.

Mine cut through the plastic MUCH better. :lol:
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:47 am

CG wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:15 am
I helped with the delivery of cups at the theater.

Pallets, completely plastic-wrapped, higher than my head.

"Anybody got a knife?"

Uh, yeah. So I pop out my knife with a 3-4" spring blade (it is now legal in Texas), to which one of the guys goes, "I'm kind of embarrassed to take out my knife now," and takes out a teeny 1.5" Swiss Army knife.

Mine cut through the plastic MUCH better. :lol:
I have a SAK for that kind of duty. My Kershaw assisted open sprained a couple of eyelids once at work so even though I carry both, I only use the Kershaw for those vinyl strapdown ties, and when opening it I hold it against my leg so it goes slow and doesn't make a click.

On body
  • Kershaw Blur
    SAK
    Leatherman ST300
In bag
  • Kershaw Cryo 2 backup
    Husky folding box knife.
In Car [trunk knives]
  • Sheffield
    Walmart no name special [might be Ozark trial but its not branded]
OT: At work a contractor had a mechanical issue on his truck and they asked to borrow my flashlight. Bushnell 127 lm 1AA. It had a brand new li-ion as I was using it myself over the weekend for similar engine work. It was returned with a dead battery, a shrug, and covered in grease.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:35 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:47 am

I have a SAK for that kind of duty. My Kershaw assisted open sprained a couple of eyelids once at work so even though I carry both, I only use the Kershaw for those vinyl strapdown ties, and when opening it I hold it against my leg so it goes slow and doesn't make a click.
I carry an OTF knife at work, and I have gotten some odd looks from people around here, but since I have a good excuse, I just ignore it.

IF HR ever asks, yes it is legal here, and it is the only knife that I can open and close one handed for when my other hand is occupied holding on to a ladder, or supporting equipment.

basically, fuck it, carry and use what is convent for you.

CG

Post by CG » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:57 am

emclean wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:35 am
I carry an OTF knife at work, and I have gotten some odd looks from people around here, but since I have a good excuse, I just ignore it.

IF HR ever asks, yes it is legal here, and it is the only knife that I can open and close one handed for when my other hand is occupied holding on to a ladder, or supporting equipment.

I'm laughing about the HR, because most of the places I've worked (lots of call centers), they flat out did not want you carrying knives.

My favorite time was the idiots in security who, while stealing my drivers license and credit cards, told HR that I was carrying a butterfly knife after I accidentally left my purse in the breakroom.

Any guesses as to what type of knife it contained?

A Leatherman.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:35 am

emclean wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:35 am
MacWa77ace wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:47 am

If I'm wearing pants, I'm packing my EDC Kershaw Blur. [except a recent jury duty day I left it in the car, but I forgot the handcuff key hidden in my wallet, which flagged going thru security.] :?

I'm just being a bit grey by not doing a one handed fast flip in front of people at work. All legal tools including Knives are allowed. And you're right, a knife you can one hand makes them the best types of knives, out of the pocket, open, close, and back in pocket again, one handed = Winning!

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:20 am

we have a "no weapons policy" but no guidance on what is a tool or a weapon. I have commented to my director that there is nothing on his desk that couldn't be used to kill him, so it must all be weapons.

it is fun to have a reputation of being a smart ass.

EBuff75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by EBuff75 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:20 pm

At my company (IT sector) I'd guess that probably half the people there carry some type of knife, even if it's just a keychain Swiss Army Knife. No prohibition that I've found in our policies there (yes, I checked) and I've seen a number of people whip out some fairly nice knives to cut up food or open boxes and such. Nobody bats an eye when it happens.

Another EDC victory story: Earlier this year my family (parents, brother's family, and me) all went down to Disney / Universal Studios for our first family vacation since my brother and I were kids. I looked up some of the items which were recommended to bring and made sure they were all packed and ready to go if needed. Sure enough...

1) Rain poncho - my niece is sensitive to her environment and she became quite upset when she got squirted with water on one of the rides. So the next time there was a ride to go on where there was any potential to get wet, I pulled out a poncho for her to wear!
2) Kleenex - You can never have enough of this with kids around and sure enough, my sister-in-law's package ran out one day. Handed her another one, easy-peasy.
3) Ziploc bags - Another one that nobody else had thought to bring, but we went through my entire stash in just a few days. Leftovers from meals, half-eaten lollipops, and even for my mother's liquids in her carry-on when her Ziploc bag split at the airport.
4) Pennies and quarters for the penny squash machines. Kept a whole pile of these in my fanny pack for the kids. Pennies to be squashed and quarters to pay for the squashing.
5) Pre-programmed addresses in my phone - I'd put in the locations for the hotel, car rental, Disney, Universal, and Disney Hollywood Studios into my phone. All I had to do was select which one we needed for navigation. Then my brother could navigate while I drove the rental van.
6) The biggest victory was having a notebook and Sharpie for autographs. I'd read about the Disney characters doing autographs and that it was recommended to have an autograph book for kids to use, so I stuck an unused notebook and pen in my bag. Halfway through the line to see some princesses, it came up that they didn't have a book for signatures. Uncle saved the day again!

The bit at the airport with the Ziploc bag for my mother caused her to remark that I was a really great travel companion, meaning those little things that I was ready for and that I'm very laid back and don't get flustered easily. I thought that was a really cool compliment!

I also got a compliment on my keychain flashlight (an Olight i3s) from one of the security guards at the Universal Studios metal detector, who liked it well enough that she wrote down the company/model info to get one for herself! Another interesting occurrence that day at the metal detectors was that my dad forgot he was carrying a small Swiss Army knife, but they let him check it and gave him a claim ticket so that he could get it back when we left. Pretty cool!

Catshooter

Post by Catshooter » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:07 pm

Good planning & execution man. Your mom was right: you are a good traveling companion!

Cat

Return to “Survival Experiences”