It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:19 pm 

I think I shared this in a different thread, but our daughter's AHG troop leader needed her phone for part of her presentation and of course it was dead, and she didn't have her corded charger with her. I pulled out my Jackery Bar and my mini cords and had her more than halfway charged up in no time.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:36 am 

At my job, the only part of our desks that lock is a small overhead bin. I don't use mine for anything, but the woman next to me wanted to lock her purse up in hers. Unfortunately, when we looked at her lock, we found that it was missing the hook that latches the bin shut. I checked mine and it was there - and only held in place by a plain Phillips screw. Out came the Leatherman, off came the screw, and I moved the latch onto her lock. Less than a minute later, she has a locking bin to store her valuables in!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:01 pm 

I'll have to try to be more active in this thread again, so many edc wins and I just forget about them after a few chuckles :gonk:

Also anybody know where the other 2 threads went?
There used to be an akward responses to Edc and an edc fail

Here's one, viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29450&start=720

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:03 pm 

I was in a car accident last year. Got rear ended by another guy when I was legitimately stopped. Had my phone charging on my little car charger, so I was able to call State Patrol. (The accident happened on a highway near an ugly section of town so better safe than sorry.) I had a tiny composition notebook and a pen in my glove compartment to get the other guys info. Then I used the camera on my phone to take pictures of the accident scene and vehicle damage on both of us for the insurance company. The damage was light and mostly body and it was still drivable. I was only inconvenienced an hour and a half and not hurt so it was all good. TINY NOTEBOOKS FTW!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:23 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Ravenwolfen wrote:
TINY NOTEBOOKS FTW!

Love this thread. Every time I use something from my pockets or key chain I think to myself "EDC Victory."
LOL. Thanks ZS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:55 am 

Just had another one last night. I was with some friends at the bar when the power went out, leaving the back room where we were seated fairly dim (there was one emergency light illuminating it). I carry a Zebralight SC600 MkIII which I got out and turned on, placing it on its tail so that it was aimed upward right into the light fixture at our table. A few people mistakenly thought that the power had come back on for just our light, including the waitress!

The outage only lasted a few minutes, but during that time we were able to continue with our food and drinks as though nothing had happened! Zebralight FTW! 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:15 pm 

I carry a large safety pin on my key ring and its come in handy a number of times. Just last week I used it to pin the curtains together in a hotel room so the light from the parking lot would shine in. Made putting the toddler down to sleep easier (we'll as easy as it can get).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:58 am 

in my man purse among many other thing I carry a small pack of ear plugs (mostly for the idiots that don't bring them to the range), but came in handy on the 4th. we were waiting for the town's fireworks display to start, and I was enjoying the neighborhoods displays, when my wife complained about the noise. with out missing a beat, I reached into my bag, and came up with them for her.

I would have thought that by now she would know I have a bunch of odd useful stuff with me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:29 pm 

Ok, I'll go:
I bought a Christmas tree this past winter. There were a few attendants there to help wrap and tie trees on cars for people. After wrapping it myself, I used my Gerber to cut the plastic netting. After that, I lugged it to my vehicle and used 550 cord from the GHB to tie it on. Sad thing? I was able to do this in the time it took the attendants to go inside, look for a knife, and come back out...empty-handed. Also, they didn't have any twine to tie trees onto cars, so the attendant wanted to know where I found the 550 cord. First world problem, I know, but still...

The headlamp came through in a major way during a brief blackout. I filled a plastic milk jug with water, wrapped the headlamp around the jug with the light facing inward, and placed it on the table as a lantern so we could all play cards. Beats blinding the dealer each time you look at him! I know, a real prepper would have had a gallon per person, per day, but I keep bottled water for that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:17 pm 

You know the big umbrellas they have over outdoor tables? Ours had a busted hinge, so it kept flopping over. Out came the LM, scavenged a hose clamp from a previous save, and clamped the umbrella hinge so it stayed put.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:29 pm 

I went to a friend's wedding reception at a lake this past weekend (very casual, swim suits and flip-flops kind of event). Because of limited parking, he had a shuttle taking people between the party and their cars, so I wasn't going to have all the gear I normally carry around. I packed a bag with beach-stuff and a few odds & ends. I figured there would be a pavilion/tent, so I included 550 cord, because you never know...

Shortly after I arrived the wind picked up and it started to rain. They'd left the walls off of the tent initially, but quickly put them back up on two sides to shield us from the weather. However, one of the walls was slightly too short for the ties to reach around the post at the corner and it was flapping around. So I cut a few lengths of cord and tied the wall in place, then went back to the party. The host never even knew that there had been a problem. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:12 am 

EDC/Get Home Bag/car supplies.

Both cars have a $40 air compressor.

One of my mild/useful obsessive-compulsive habits is looking at my tires, and really everybody else's tires too.

I'm sure I have been the hero a dozen times for people at church, people at work, random people at the grocery store.

Saturday was the most recent example. Young couple with a new baby. They had a flat. He could even change the tire, but the space saver spare was practically flat. He looked a little panicky, the baby was getting cranky, it was hot out. They were super appreciative when I offered help.

I don't know why, but I still try to give them the speech, "Hey, for 40 bucks, you could never be stuck like this again. AND you could be the hero next time instead of the person in distress."

If you use it ONCE, and prevent a ruined tire and/or rim and/or accident, you have made your money back and then some.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:56 am 

Needed to read some tiny print on a thing at work. The magnifier app on my phone made it quite legible.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:43 pm 

Kid came in the clinic I work at with a treble hook in her hand. Apparently we don't have anything clinic owned that can cut those. Out comes the Leatherman Charge ALX and snipped the hook so the provider could push the rest out herself. I love my Leatherman tools.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:17 pm 

DS locked DD and myself in DD's room. The lock is on the outside of the door so time outs are really time outs, and not Daddy-has-to-sit-in-doorway-and-foil-escape-attempts time outs. Out came my keychain LM, and proceeded to unscrew the doorknob from the door.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:55 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Thanks to my (new) EDC ThruNite Ti3 flashlight, I was finally able to get a good look at the possum my dachshund tends to corner underneath my car. Got the dog inside, came back to snap a pic and shoo her (and her belly fully of squirm babies) along to the neighbor's yard.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:46 pm 

Come into work today,
Fluorescent light unit does turn on,
Secretary tells me it sometimes takes a while to turn on
Sigh... That's probably a ballast.. Fingers crossed
Yep it's the ballast
Order ballast
Pick up ballast
Wait... How is there not a single pair of wire strippers in this machine shop?
Sigh
Use my sog powerlock safety v cutter to strip the wire ends
Reinstall
And let there be light

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:55 pm 

Does my Get Home bag in my office count s EDC? Got to work yesterday, and my pants got caught on something getting out of my truck, and torn down the side seam from belt to below the pocket, my boxer briefs showing for all to see (yes, they were clean). Make it to my office without being seen, go to my bag I keep in the locked server room beside me(I'm in the I.T. dept). Grabbed a change of pants, no one the wiser.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:49 pm 

I'd say that counts.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:19 am 

Bad Penny 08 wrote:

Welcome to the 21st century. Everyone has an I-device, but no pocket knives.
Are they just lazy, or is it the "zero tolerance" craze that has them scared?

It is not zero tolerance. It is convenience and a lack of instruction.

The first culprit is convenience. Ever go to the grocery store and notice everything that is pre-cut? From melons, and pineapple to celery and broccoli. What I can do in a few minutes with a chefs knife, people will pay an extra three dollars to avoid the work. This results in a general degradation of skills.

The second culprit is a lack of instruction. Just as adults don't know how to use a kitchen knife, kids are not taught how to use a pocket knife. All of my children are in scouting programs. They all have Swiss Army knives (Victorinox Recruits) . They all received specific training in their use and in knife safety. They can't take them to school, but they have access to them around the house and they always take them camping. I've taught them how to use the can opener, wire stripper and bottle opener. I don't have the heart to stick splinters in their fingers so they can practice using the tweezers.

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:54 pm 

I went to heat water for my coffee the other day and and the knob came off the kettle lid. The screw that held it on was inside the kettle. I keep a small folding knife in my pajamas, so I used the knife point to screw the knob back on. I don't generally recommend using knives as screwdrivers, but this is a tiny machine screw that doesn't need to be cranked on.

SMoAF wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:50 pm 

Him: Do you have any bandaids?

Me: Yes. (As I reach in my pocket and hand him one.)

Him: Why do you have bandaids in your pocket?

Me: Says the guy asking if I have any bandaids...

Him: Oh.........

My heart would not fear.
-P.O.D.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:33 am 

built a sun shelter at the beach out of an umbrella a roll of gorilla tape and a sharpened stick.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:10 pm 

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Bad Penny 08 wrote:

Welcome to the 21st century. Everyone has an I-device, but no pocket knives.
Are they just lazy, or is it the "zero tolerance" craze that has them scared?

It is not zero tolerance. It is convenience and a lack of instruction.

It's a little bit of both. I just found out that my alma matter, who use to have a reputation for turning out engineers with solid hands-on as well as academic skills, has hit the panic buttons for pocket knives of any type. Pocket knives used to be almost as common as rulers.

And, yesterday's EDC save: Having the only working flashlight not already stolen by DD, or under lock and key to keep DD away from it. Used it to retrieve previously pilfered flashlights from under her bed at dark o'clock at night.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next