It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:45 pm 

Catshooter wrote:
As an industrial/commercial electrician with 34 years in the trade I am here to tell you that it is extremly rare for any company to service their emergancy egress lighting. They most often contain battieries, and as we all know batteries have shelf lifes.

Don't count on them.

Cat

Thank you for confirming what I thought. So they just plug 'em in and forget about them. Yup. Don't count on these so-called emergency lights.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:20 am 

Really, only in establishments that have a maintenece staff, and one that is on top of things with a decent budget, would there be much of a chance that the batteries would get changed out like their supposed to. Mostly it would be an industrial setting.

Some egress lighting is run off of a seperate electrical system, not individual batteries. Those are pretty dependable, as long as they have power. :) The grid is still the grid though.

Some are backed up by standby generator sets. Those are best of all, usually.

Also, it is very unusual for a standby generator to have more than eight hours of fuel. There are exceptions of course but some don't even have that much.

Count on yourself.

Cat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:54 am 

I just used my County Comm micro grappling hook to rescue my favorite coffee mug from a snowbank.

Sent via mimeograph.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:53 pm 

Towanda wrote:
I just used my County Comm micro grappling hook to rescue my favorite coffee mug from a snowbank.

Sent via mimeograph.

Now that's one of the most unique AND awesome EDC applications I've seen yet!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:44 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Was out on my buddy's hunting property this weekend when he asked if i could help him put up his new 16' ladder stand(I tried to tell him this was a spring job and not a winter one, but he was pretty gungho about it). When we got out to the spot, we realized he only had one adjustable wrench in his truck(I assumed he had a socket set since he had planned on doing it).

Him: "Oh, i thought they would have included a tool."

Me: :vmad:

So out comes my leatherman and we slowly tighten all the bolts and get it up into the tree. Had i not brought my leatherman(which i actually thought about early this morning), we would have had a 90 minute round trip just to get a socket.

You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:08 pm 

I have been working on improving my EDC which being a mom is my purse, so more than just a handful of items. Anyway I was reviewing a few of the threads around here and one mentioned having benadryl in their GHB. I suddenly remembered that I used to carry a few capsules of Benadryl in my small EDC FAK . I put a few in last night, and today a co-worker was having a flair up of eczema and mentioned she forgot ot take her Benadryl in the morning. I just happened to to have some!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:09 pm 

Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach...a mom and her little daughter standing in front of a exhibit claiming to hold the GIANT PACIFIC OCTOPUS. No octopus to be seen anywhere. Out comes the streamlight microstream and after some hunting we found it crammed into a little cubbyhole about the size of a softball. The kid was happy to see the octopus, and so was I because that was one of the reasons I went there!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:05 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Camping trip with girlscouts finished today. At lunch one of the girls had managed to get her hair tie so knotted into her hair it wouldn't come out. (10 yo girls are awesome but baffling, I have no idea howmshendid that. I was the only one with the (cheapo walmart) clasp knife to cut the tie. Followed by no knife to cut the bad spots out of fruit, ditto knife.

And I always have ibuprofen and tylenol, so the fact that I could hand over the tylenol at a restaurant dinner for a friend's headache didn't even count, imo.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:38 pm 

Got to use my "vehicle kit" to help a family jump start their vehicle today. Also, got to loan out my Gerber Multi-tool for a quick automotive repair a guy had to make in the parking lot.

Ahhh...to be self reliant!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:34 am 

multi tools really are worth their weight in gold...

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:46 pm 

heading out for dinner with my wife last night, my MIL calls and asked to use our oven (she is remolding her kitchen). my wife tells her sure, just push the button on the electronic dead bolt when you leave top lock up.

we walked to dinner, so we could both drink. neither of us brought our keys, or shoulder bags. we get hole and try to open the back door, and the knob is locked.
after a walk around the house checking that all the windows are locked, with my light, i have to break in through a screen door on the side porch. the whole time my wife complaining that she didn't decide to carry her purse with the keys in it.

after we were in and her bladder was empty, i told her she dosnt get to comment negitivly about my pocket clutter for at least 6 weeks.
i just have to fix the screen now

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:48 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

kika21 wrote:
Catshooter wrote:
As an industrial/commercial electrician with 34 years in the trade I am here to tell you that it is extremly rare for any company to service their emergancy egress lighting. They most often contain battieries, and as we all know batteries have shelf lifes.

Don't count on them.

Cat

Thank you for confirming what I thought. So they just plug 'em in and forget about them. Yup. Don't count on these so-called emergency lights.

Had a blackout in our large apartment complex two weeks ago. 3 floors, 200 tenants, many of them elderly - almost all of the emergency backup lights were DOA, including in the emergency exit stairwells. The remaining working lights were dead within the hour.

Building fail. But EDC victory, because within 2 seconds of the power outage I had my LED penlight out and on.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:23 pm 

At the gas station today to fill up the truck before it gets to negative bajillionty in the next couple of days. We've gotten some snow in he last few days, so it's cold and damp. As I'm filling up this little blonde drives up in a snow pile(why people never brush the whole damned car off I have no idea). She gets out and can't get her gas flap open, it's frozen shut. So I stick my head around the pump as she's whacking it with her snow scrapper (and scratching the shit out of her car) and say "It stuck?" "Yeah, I pulled the lever but it wont open.. think it's frozen" So I tell her to go and hold the lever up and I'll get it open.

I take my winter EDC Cold Steel Ti-Lite out and wedge it in the ice encrusted gap and pop it open.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:58 am 

Living in a place where the standing joke is that we have 9 months of good skiing and 3 months of poor skiing in a year I always carry one of those little pocket gas torches that run of a disposable lighter(but that comes with a refillable one).
Works for thawing locks, sealing of rope ends, sterilizing tools, re soldering electrical connections etc. etc. etc. it has saved me a number of times, and in a pinch you can use it as a cauterizer if you have to stop bleeding NOW(not pleasant but beats having people bleed to death), they usually sell for about 10$(no gas) and they are robust(unlike many of the similar "lighters"), the one I have actually came with a 3 year warranty...

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds
forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece
of shit by the clean end."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:15 pm 

Clearing some beaver dams off the BOL and at the end of the day some guys (the ones who always show up after the work is done, you know the type) pull up. One of them shuts the truck off and it won't restart. Battery cable has come loose. Not a tool among the three of them. Out comes my Gerber Diesel. Wire stripper. Pliers. Flat head screwdriver. Done.

Morons.

7.62x39 (AK47), .45ACP (1911), Cherry (Pie/Cobbler)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:30 pm 

Just remembered this one: before my thumb surgery, I had an ultrasound to see how far up my arm the loose end of my tendon had retreated. The radiologist needed to measure the distance between the end still attached to my thumb and the loose end, but there was no ruler in the room. So I told him I had a ruler on my keyring and handed over my Centipede titanium measuring stick. :)

http://www.tecaccessories.com/Centipede

Sent via carrier wave.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:32 pm 

Hurray. I forgot about this thread.

I was out at a bar when we started a game of pool. The tips on the house sticks were in pretty horrible condition, so I used the file on the nail clippers to reshape and scuff them (usually I would use my Leatherman, but I don't like carrying one on my belt at bars). A small but satisfying victory.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:03 pm 

Coming home from running some errands, I managed to drop my cane down the basement stairs:

However, I EDC two 6' lengths of paracord that I use to practice tying knots and a micro grappling hook:

Success!

SMoAF wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:02 pm 

So the lock/alarm button came off the key fob for my car today, leaving a hole in the case and an exposed switch on the circuit board:

I EDC little, round, titanium measuring sticks, one in English and one in metric. They are perfect for reaching into the hole and pushing that little black switch on the circuit board:

That'll work till I get home and get my spare, like-new fob. Batteries Plus Bulbs can make me a new fob to replace the broken one for less than a dealership will charge me, so I'll go there later this week.

Sent via carrier wave

SMoAF wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:05 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Thanks. Love the Inchworm. Nice, practical gift idea.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:35 am 

Istvan56 wrote:
She asked me why I helped a stranger and I told her that not only was it my religious duty but also that I am a father.

Had I been there and had my wits about me I would have told her that even rats help their own so she basically asked you why you acted no worse than the average rat.
They even forego chocolate to help another rat in distress.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:24 pm 

had a Thanksgiving Day EDC victory. We had gone off to a lake house for the day, turkey was ready and was getting ready to prepare the jams, and black eyed peas (canned) when not a can opener could be found in the place :vmad: (all kitchen utensils and tools were supposed to be prepared by the rental people) . But I just took out my keys and removed my P38, and Holiday dinner saved ! :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:14 pm 

My EDC saved a few dinners too.

Once, we had some bottles of wine and trekked out to a popular bonfire spot at the edge of the city. Decades of parties have happened there. Anyway, no cork screw. D'oh!

I scoured around the party site, not the cleanest place given the years of drunken abuse; anyway, someone at some time had brought a chair and then tossed it into the fire years ago; the burnt metal frame sat rusting away. But it did have nice long screws. Out popped my multi-tool, unscrewed the chair screws, ran them into the cork, party saved!

MT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:06 am 

no one have any good stories lately? :?:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next