It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: The Day of EDC Victory
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:50 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

The Day of EDC victory is when your pocket gear and skills lets you turn an otherwise fail situation into epic win.

My Day of EDC Victory happened last summer while I was living abroad.

Its 1am, and I'm at a raging house party, when the all power in the building goes off. My Maratac AAA is on within 3 seconds, EDC win #1. I check out the rest of the block, power is on. But the power is off for the whole building.

I talk to the girl whose house it is, and she's all distressed because "the circuit breaker is downstairs, but the door is locked." I'm of course all Giggity Giggity pumped because this is literally the type of moment I've been prepping for- and I'm carrying my Bogota lockpicks in my wallet, EDC win #2.

So I leave my maratac AAA upstairs so the guests aren't left in the dark, and use my Photon II microlight on my keys so we can navigate the pitch black stairwell to the basement, lighting redundancy being EDC win #3.

We make it to the power room, and sure enough, its locked by a hasp with a big ass brass padlock on it. But I've used my Bogota's on 5-6 adventures before, so equipped with a superior tool and a decent level of practice, I'm through the lock in 10 seconds flat (alcohol improves the jiggling technique methinks.) Regular training with the tools I carry was EDC win #4.

We open the door, I hold the light while she figures out the breaker, power is restored to the building, and the party is back on. :mrgreen:

When was your Day of EDC Victory?

For honest, in-depth gear reviews, please visit:
http://www.good-kit.com

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:06 am 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Good on you for being prepared and getting everything squared away. While the OP is a great example of EDC and a knowledgeable person saving the day, I do have a couple of caveats:

1) There's a fine line between legal and illegal, especially with lock picks. Make sure to stick with the former.
2) While it may be legal to carry lock picks and other "burglary tools" in many areas, getting caught with them might prove troublesome. Disproving intent can be a bitch

Again, OP, good job and sorry for the trouble with this thread.

Keep calm and carry on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:45 pm 

I used to work at a restaurant some years ago. There were two ways down into the basement. I went down one way. Someone thought that no one was downstairs and turned the lights off and locked the door. So here's me locked in a basement with the lights off, needing to walk to the other side. Out comes my flashlight, and I'm good to go.

Same workplace. We need to open up a bunch of cans of something, but no one has a can opener. I carry a P38 in my wallet.

I decided to walk home once rather than catch the bus. I'm going down a side road at night, using my flashlight. The beam grows dimmer and dimmer. No problem. I carry backup batteries in my backpack.

I'm hiking in the woods with my nephew. We forgot to bring water, and he's thirsty. We use an empty can and cut the top off of it and clean it out. Using my fire steel, I start a fire. Some boiling later and we've got clean water to drink.

None of this even mentions all the times the safety pins and adhesive bandages in my wallet have come in useful, or how many times I've been glad that I carry a knife everywhere. Being prepared all the time is awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:42 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Quote:
Same workplace. We need to open up a bunch of cans of something, but no one has a can opener. I carry a P38 in my wallet.

That kind of restaurant fail really gets my goat, which is why I keep a Swing-A-Way can opener in my knife roll. Don't get me started about the joint that didn't have a single fucking vegetable peeler in the house ... "No, boss, you can't use my vegetable peeler." Same place never had bandaids. But I always did.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:59 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I've got a couple, but this one was just the schiznit.

Boss had previously made some comments regarding my Leatherman on my belt as well as my flashlight. After all, who would possibly ever need either of those things when working downtown Cincinnati.

Well, one day when working on one of the aquariums in the office (fish were this guy's fetish... I mean, he had rented the space ABOVE US in order to put some of the paraphernalia. The cloakroom in the office had been turned into a giant filter setup). So, he's trying to trim some CPVC pipe and doesn't have any of the tools necessary to do so. Slinks over to me, and asks if my knife can cut pipe. I pull it out, get the appropriate saw open and hand it to him. A few minutes later, he's trying to fish it through and needs a light. I ask for my multitool back before I lend him the flashlight.

Another funny time there was when they were trying to get a 200 gallon plastic storage tank up to the office above us (again, rented for the fish paraphernalia). My 550 paracord would have done the job just fine, but, frankly, I was getting irritated with this guy by this point and saw writing on the wall anyway, so I didn't volunteer my stash. It was funny enough realizing that him having his entire development staff wasting an hour or two on getting this thing up to a third story window cost him more than the tank itself *laugh*

Karma.

Ice

"It's fuzzy headed liberal thinking like that that gets people eaten." - Ironbear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:47 pm 

Chef wrote:
Quote:

That kind of restaurant fail really gets my goat, which is why I keep a Swing-A-Way can opener in my knife roll. Don't get me started about the joint that didn't have a single fucking vegetable peeler in the house ... "No, boss, you can't use my vegetable peeler." Same place never had bandaids. But I always did.

The boss was really unprepared for more or less anything. I'm sort of shocked that the place is still open.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:48 am 

SItuation: Night time Mardi Gras parade with a bunch of friends & helping to wrangle the associated four kids (ranging in age from preschool to just short of Jr. High) safely down the six blocks or so of poorly lit streets to the parade route.
Solution: Four glow-sticks from the stash in the glovebox of my truck distributed to the assorted munchkins. Kids were both happy & visible.

Also there's all the times someone's asked me, "Hey, Cybr, do you have a... wait, of course you do. Can I borrow your (pocket knife/lighter/flashlight/etc)"

Readiness is all. — William Shakespeare

Senectute Et Perfidia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:38 am 

Every day is EDC victory day for me :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:59 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Biggin wrote:

Oh yeah?
How many EDC condoms you gotten through...
:twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:50 am 

the_alias wrote:
Biggin wrote:

Oh yeah?
How many EDC condoms you gotten through...
:twisted:

None so far (knock on wood.)
They've all held up!

I've had people mock me for lugging a flashlight and leatherman around, but the same people are constantly asking me for stuff. No particular episode stands out but I've had cause to use most of my EDC stuff, and cause to miss it when it's gone.

Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:07 pm 

Quote:

Ditto.

If I had a nickle for every time I some knucklehead at work or elsewhere was in a jam and my EDC saved the day I'd have a lot of nickles.

The smart ones bought their own multitools.
The rest, well...who cares?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:06 pm 

Bad Penny 08 wrote:
If I had a nickle for every time I some knucklehead at work or elsewhere was in a jam and my EDC saved the day I'd have a lot of nickles.

My faves are the ones that treat me like I'm paranoid for carrying this stuff, then end up asking to use it. "Oh, remember the other day you asked why I carry a flashlight? This is why I carry a flashlight. You're welcome."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:32 pm 

MichaelM wrote:
Bad Penny 08 wrote:

My faves are the ones that treat me like I'm paranoid for carrying this stuff, then end up asking to use it. "Oh, remember the other day you asked why I carry a flashlight? This is why I carry a flashlight. You're welcome."

Yep.

Well, most people already know that they should have a flashlight and a spare set of car keys and etc, right?
They are just in denial and tactfully pointing out what basically amounts to their procrastination only puts them deeper into denial, or depending on the level of pushback they give, on the defensive when they are made to look like the morons they are when you (in 20 seconds) provide a succinct and persuasive argument for being prepared.

In my 20's I genuinely felt as though I should help people to understand, like if I took the time to
persuade them into helping themselves that I was doing them a favor.
White knighting almost.

Now at 38 I'm convinced Grandpa was right when all along he has said that anyone with half a brain should know better and if they don’t it's their own fault.

That said if someone asks for help, I'll help them. If someone asks me to help them learn about preparedness, I will.

If someone is stupid enough to give me grief for being smart about something so basic as to carry spare keys or a multi-tool I usually calmly, tactfully, and concisely point out their stupidity. Then smile, wink, sincerely wish them a pleasant day, and go about my business.

The stunned look while they roll around "Did he just say [paraphrasing] Well, a spare key and 10 seconds to open your wallet beats standing like a chump in the parking lot while waiting 45min for AAA, freezing your butt off in the rain with your dick in your hand????" probably does more to help them than any concerted effort to verbally work past their wall of denial.

If I like them and I know they are smart people and haven't really thought it out and are just teasing I might just chuckle or say something in a charming way and maybe strike up a conversation because you always tailor it to fit, right?
Sometimes the person or the forum is inappropriate for anything too abrasive.
You get what I'm saying.

Then you have those people that are just too stupid and sophomoric to even respond to so you don't waste your breath.

Those are the ones that really make me smile.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:18 pm 

My EDC consists of at least a flashlight, knife, Leatherman, pen, and cash all of which have come in handy hundreds of times and people who know me ask to borrow them all of the time. I always try to think ahead of what I might need in a given place and do my best to bring it all along, sometimes even surprising my friends.

Me and three friends were staying at a friend's parent's cabin near Yosemite park and had loaded up on beer and food before we got there. Came time to clean up and couldn't find any trash bags, told them it was ok because I had some in my luggage. They all started laughing and it turned into a conversation about how I always seem to have what's needed, including the time that I've gotten teased about the most.

I went to a big music festival with friends and a girl I had just started dating. Me, one of my best friends, and my date make our way to the porta-johns. Us guys took care of business and were waiting on her when she comes up, embarrassed, saying we have to leave (which is about a two hour ordeal of fighting crowds and waiting in line to get back in) because none of the stalls had any toilet paper. Reached in the back left pocket of my jeans and pull out a roll of camper's TP. Both of them looked at me like I had just done a magic trick. Never in my life have I seen someone laugh so hard about TP, nor known of anyone to be so appreciative of a roll.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:52 pm 

WhoShotJR wrote:
Reached in the back left pocket of my jeans and pull out a roll of camper's TP. Both of them looked at me like I had just done a magic trick. Never in my life have I seen someone laugh so hard about TP, nor known of anyone to be so appreciative of a roll.

You have just reminded me that I forgot to add TP to my EDC bag. Thank you very much.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:16 pm 

Since we don't get nickles for every EDC save. I tend to use the borrowing rule we had when I worked in a machine shop. "When you borrowed something three times, it was time to buy your own."

Bad Penny 08 wrote:
Ditto.

The smart ones bought their own multitools.
The rest, well...who cares?

ZS Fleet # - 0183

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:17 pm 

Quote:
Since we don't get nickles for every EDC save. I tend to use the borrowing rule we had when I worked in a machine shop. "When you borrowed something three times, it was time to buy your own."

Words of wisdom.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:33 am 

Sounds suspiciously like a criminal toolkit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:14 am 

Yeah, the thread was locked down at the git go until the mod sorted out the legalities.

Since it depends on the venue it was allowed to continue.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:58 am 

BluelegSamantha wrote:
Sounds suspiciously like a criminal toolkit.

That's a topic for this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29450

Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:38 am 

On the topic of people and flashlights, namely, MY flashlight(s)- if I get someone acting like a D-bag about my having a flashlight on my belt (for work, a 3-D MagLite), and a spare in my pocket (my EDC), it invariably ends up with that same D-bag wanting to borrow a flashlight. At which point, having tried a polite explanation beforehand, and been called an A-hole for my effort, I simply respond with "yep, I got a flashlight, and no, you can't borrow it- who's the A-hole, now?" Sure, it might seem that I AM the A-hole, but at this point, I no longer care. The biggest offender is the guy at work who does the maintenance...who does not own so much as a flashlight. And makes twice what I do. And then asks me for advice on HIS job.

On the TP thing- it's funny, but, I was just today thinking that I need to get some more TP packets from MRE's, one of which has to go into my EDC Sucrets tin (I'm not fond of Altoids- sue me!) lol.

I don't normally keep track of the win/loss stuff with my EDC- when I need something, and don't have it, I consider how likely that need is, and then work to rectify the shortage if it seems warranted. I think this is a natural outgrowth of not just EDC, but also every day USE.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:46 am 

I remember going to a friends house to help her move some furniture. I ended up having to assemble a bookshelf, endtable, and futon with my leatherman. She didn't have any tools whatsoever in her house.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:21 am 

I'm a supply guy in the Iowa Army Guard and seriously after drilling a couple times and working with fellow supply guys I always have my multitool and usually my surefire handy. There are more times than I can count that I have had to use that tool, Besides it being like the only real small tool screwdriver wrench etc that I normally have available to me. And a flashlight it always useful no matter if its daylight or not, there are always dark places you can go into...

My .05 FWIW

by-the-throat wrote:
The bo staff isn't mall ninja fare until you mount a picatinny rail on it.

Brownies/Star Crunch/AR15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:02 pm 

Quote:
I remember going to a friends house to help her move some furniture. I ended up having to assemble a bookshelf, endtable, and futon with my leatherman. She didn't have any tools whatsoever in her house.

I have a tear...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next